PDA

View Full Version : Now hopelessly addicted to Firefly..

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-11, 01:24 PM
I am simultaneously cursing a friend for having loaned me the DVD's to view and cursing having waited so long to catch this series. What am I going to do when I finish seeing all the episodes and the movie? How are other people dealing with the withdrawal? I now see why both Lilly and Gorbash have done Firefly inspired avatars.

Midnight Son
2006-05-11, 01:37 PM
I am happy and sorry for you at the same time. Happy because you have now seen the best series ever created. Sorry because it's likely that we'll never get another installment. It's a long torturous slope to the grave from here.

XzalkatriozX1885
2006-05-11, 01:45 PM
I have to agree. I borrowed the series from a friend and have yet to give them back. I have watched each episode including the movie at least four times each. I am proud, yet sad to say that I am addicted to the show and it's cast. Proud because I know that I'm not the only one, and sad because as Dwarf71 stated, we will probably never get another installment of it.

WampaX
2006-05-11, 01:45 PM
You can always read the graphic novel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593074492/sr=8-4/qid=1147369677/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-1512703-5552810?%5Fencoding=UTF8).
Or the RPG (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931567506/sr=8-7/qid=1147369783/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-1512703-5552810?%5Fencoding=UTF8).
Or listen to the commentaries.

InaVegt
2006-05-11, 01:47 PM
I (maybe sadly) don't know firefly, but i've heard it's great

Oh and off topic: Wampa when will the new contest start?

Jibar
2006-05-11, 01:51 PM
So I've never watched an epsiode of Father Ted, I had no idea who Jimmy Page was until a few days ago, and I've never seen Firefly, nor the movie...
My English teacher is right, I AM a heretic...

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-05-11, 02:17 PM
Huh, didn't know there wasa graphic novel out. gonna have to pick up a copy post haste.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-11, 03:05 PM
You can always read the graphic novel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593074492/sr=8-4/qid=1147369677/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-1512703-5552810?%5Fencoding=UTF8).
Or the RPG (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931567506/sr=8-7/qid=1147369783/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-1512703-5552810?%5Fencoding=UTF8).
Or listen to the commentaries.

Is the RPG any good? Anyone played it? I'm assuming its a D20 thing...

EDIT: Meh, finally noticed Wampa's "RPG" was tinyurl and followed it. That's the trouble with not having proper pupils....

The_Losar
2006-05-11, 04:01 PM
Actually, it's pretty much everything but d20.

The system is really pretty simple and effective, but probably needs more clarification and examples in the book. Tracy and Laura Hickman are making a module for it which may, if they took my suggestion, include some further explanation of the battle mechanics at least.

Jacklu
2006-05-11, 05:28 PM
It is an awsome show. It would have been longer lived if the Fox executives hadn't screwed around with the order in which the episodes aired. Take a look at the release dates, The first episode was like the forth one to go on the air.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-11, 07:03 PM
As you can see from the text under my avatar, I was just in the exact same situation. What a phenomenal show!

You know what the worst part is though, really? It's FOX. Like Jacklu said, they aired the episodes out of order, but it goes beyond that, to constantly pre-empting it for baseball, deciding they didn't like the concept after seeing the pilot, and so forth--and so, after just one season they canceled it, despite the fact that it's brilliantly written, and that all their fans who managed to actually see it despite its ridiculous air schedule thought it was fantastic. Has anyone else noticed that FOX execs consistently cancel great shows? First there was Family Guy, which everybody thought was hysterical; then Firefly, which everyone thinks is one of the best shows they've ever seen; and now Arrested Development, whch I haven't seen but which everyone I know says is hilarious. Probably there are others, but the point is, I encourage everyone to write to FOX and tell them to get their heads out of their collective asses when it comes to their lineup. Maybe if enough of us do so, they'll stop cancelling all the good shows. >:(

(And maybe, just maybe, if there's enough fan support they'll bring Firefly back, like they did with Family Guy. We can hope, anyway...)

bosssmiley
2006-05-11, 07:22 PM
Watch "Blake's 7". Seriously, it was "Firefly" 30 years ago. If you can get past the zero-budget BBC effects you have the show Firefly _wanted to be_.

Alarra
2006-05-11, 11:15 PM
Watch the dvd and movie again.....and then again.....and then again....at least that's what i've done.

XzalkatriozX1885
2006-05-11, 11:39 PM
I have done the same thing and I have also read the graphic novel numerous times, it doesn't hold together very well anymore.

LostInBrittany
2006-05-12, 06:39 AM
I've done the same thing too, again and again...

WampaX
2006-05-12, 10:36 AM
Watch "Blake's 7". Seriously, it was "Firefly" 30 years ago. If you can get past the zero-budget BBC effects you have the show Firefly _wanted to be_.

When the region 1 DVD hits, Its on the top of my list. Until then, I guess I could engage in some nefarious activity to see it on the computer.

Aaya
2006-05-12, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the club ;D

It's a fun one!

Hooloovoo
2006-05-12, 12:44 PM
Same deal here.
Finally watched the episodes just in time to see the moive.
Am convinced there is a parrallel dimension somewhere where firefly is still running, and am making preperations to find it. -Even willing to put up with the fact that it may be ruled by evil monkeys and rains fish all the time or something...

ACTUALLY, i'm devising a board game based in the Firefly universe to get my fix. Sort of a mission based game where you gain credits, crew and fuel and overcome the final obstacle of the reavers, and reach Miranda to foil the Alliance. Huzzah!

fithi
2006-05-12, 03:53 PM
I've been cursing my boyfriend for that exact reason. It's a fantastic series, and I'm planning on getting the DVDs for myself once I get the money.

Now I get a lot more of the jokes that go around his house.

Revolos55
2006-05-12, 07:12 PM
I watch the DVDs, then Serenity, then read the graphic novels, then watch Farscape, then watch the miniseries, then play with my figures, then ogle my autographed pictures, then chat online with my fellow Scapers and Browncoats.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-15, 09:54 AM
Well, once I got down with the series DVD's I went right out and bought the movie and watched that Friday night. This is hands down the best TV show I've ever watched [and one of the better movies I've seen though you really can't watch it stand-alone] I'm still at a loss how Fox bumbled it so badly.

On another note, who can provide some links to good fan interest sites?

GenLee
2006-05-15, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the 'Verse. As for fan-sites, just search under "Browncoats."
"Waves in the Black" supports the RPG, which I like (not played yet, but like!).
http://www.scifi-studios.com is a site dedicated to making better sci-fi shows/movies, inspired by the failure to keep "Firefly/Serenity" going, as well as other flops.

Lilly
2006-05-15, 03:50 PM
*Hands Malichi a brown coat and a Jayne hat*

Welcome to the 'Verse, you'll like it here.

Still flying.net (http://still-flying.net/) is a fairly good fan site, complete with screen caps that can be used for feeling creative in photoshop. It's also got links to other sites.

Gmonkey
2006-05-15, 06:03 PM
Haha! Another convert. I'm just glad I read Penny Arcade which was were I first heard about it. Decided to give it a go and obtained it through slightly nefarious means. Watched the series through twice then went out and bought the DVDs and watched it a third time. Only watched the movie twice but I'm working on it. Must have read the graphic novel half a dozen times though, it was worth buying purely for A) More pictures of Kaylee, and B) The big picture of Serenity near the end.

Unfortunately I now start randomly singing the theme tune at inappropriate times and quoting it.

"Do you want to run this ship?" "Yeah" "Well, you can't"

Ulicus
2006-05-15, 07:14 PM
I miss Firefly. :'(

Then again, at least this way it will stay brilliant FOREVER, and never go downhill and start compromising its characters and backstory ala Buffy and Angel... well, mainly Angel.

Serenity was great, though I was pretty upset that it wasn't 21 hours longer and called "Firefly Season 2".

Charity
2006-05-16, 12:19 PM
Hi Mal, welcome to the club.
Firefly is truly a classic and as Ulicus says at least this way it won't peter out like so many other promising shows. I have read the rules to the RPG its a die for a skill + die for a stat check to perform actions anything up to D12. Combat looks pretty lethal though you would expect as much, seems promising though the chances of my friend getting his game of it started ... not so much.

btw I told you you'd love it.

When the region 1 DVD hits, Its on the top of my list. Until then, I guess I could engage in some nefarious activity to see it on the computer.

Yeah you'll love it *coughbittorrentcough*

Mattaeu
2006-05-16, 11:58 PM
Firefly is so pretty; we (brother and friends) got hold of the series and watched in one night to one morning. then played system shock 2 the rest of the week.

Serenity was a good movie, but after the series, i don't know, it felt a little darker than before. Still great and watched plenty :)

Hooloovoo
2006-05-17, 07:57 AM
Ok, I'm just going to gloat a bit here...

I won a costume competiton at a nightclub a while back, and the theme was buffy/angel/firefly. At the last minute I dug out my old zombie costume and went (kinda buffy-ish I thought...?). Anyway, all I knew was that the prize was a 'block mounted moive poster'.
Well it just arrived (finally) the other day and I ripped it open with much anticipation to discover it was a serenity poster signed by...JOSS WHEDON! Glee!
Also, at a local sci-fi convention, I got Summer Glau to sign it as well...
It now occupies my wall, and is the central piece in my shrine of all things firefly...

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-05-17, 08:27 AM
Loved Firefly, but I was disappointed by Serenity. Firefly worked slowly, but the movie was a little too fast. Characters introduced and finished off too quickly. I like my stories to build.

I mean, Serenity was good, mostly, but... well, I just knew that the movie wouldn't be big enough to get us the TV series back.

kendrama
2006-05-17, 03:47 PM
On another note, who can provide some links to good fan interest sites?

I cannot possibly recommend The Signal (http://signal.serenityfirefly.com) highly enough. If you've never heard a podcast before, this is a great one to start with; or, if for some reason you have no access to a computer with sound capabilities (or an MP3 player), they've also got a great forum. They're well into their second season (the first season's still available for download), and they've got a lot of great segments, like a sci-fi review where they compare Firefly to other shows like Blake's 7 and Babylon 5. (I do miss the first season's Learn to Speak Chinese bit, though...funniest thing I've ever heard. :D )

Oh, and while I love the regular cast and crew, this season they've added a new cast member; some of you may have heard of him, I think he goes by the name Tracy Hickman. ;D

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-17, 04:25 PM
*Hands Malachi a brown coat

Awesome. It fits perfectly and looks great! [Strikes action pose]

*and a Jayne hat*

Uh, okay.
Thanks.
It looks... groovy too.

;)

WampaX
2006-05-17, 05:14 PM
Uh, okay.
Thanks.
It looks... groovy too.

Makes you look cunnin'

Vadelus_the_Mighty
2006-05-17, 06:21 PM
Firefly? OMG, I just got the series too! It's so good. Too bad it got canceled so early...

Pixiest
2006-05-17, 06:27 PM
I can't believe my first post in this forum will be to say how Serenity failed...

Joss Whedon does a number of things well, but what he does BEST is develop characters. That's why his series are always brilliant and his movies... tend to.. um... not be as good.

I was THRILLED when I heard Serenity was going to be made. I watched Firefly from the first episode (well, you know how they aired them out of order. It was the first one that was on the air.) and I LOVED the show. But something was nagging me in the back of my mind.

Pacing.

Joss would have to deal with Pacing.

In a series, he can go as slow as he likes. Get us to know each character and their quirks and fall in love with them. Heck, I even loved Jayne (ok, I ESPECIALLY loved Jayne.)

But in a movie he has to Move. Click Click Click. Bang Bang Bang. Scene is done, on to the next one. No, we don't have time to wallow in Kaylee's adorable smile. No, we don't have time for Wash silliness. No, we don't have time for Zoe to be scary or Jayne to be lovelibly stupid.

If you watch the outtakes you see what jokes landed on the cutting room floor. What tender moments we didn't get to see. And how a scene with Jayne and Kaylee got cut short.

When Joss doesn't have time for character development, he simply doesn't do as well. And that's why I want to see him do another series and stay away from the big screen. And that's why Serenity failed.

Pix

Gamaliel_the_Bard
2006-05-26, 12:57 AM
Malachi the Lich King wrote:

I am simultaneously cursing a friend for having loaned me the DVD's to view and cursing having waited so long to catch this series.
Yup....I understand completely.

I was late to the Firefly party too, but I'm glad to have arrived....better late then never.

It's the cruelest thing to have tasted this entertaining goodness and have no way to get it back on the air. I wish Joss Whedon or Sci-Fi channel could convince Fox to sell or share their claim on Firefly so we could get to watching new episodes.

With all the garbage on TV..and I do mean garbage...why can't we get a good show returned before it's too late.

Posted by: Pixiest
I can't believe my first post in this forum will be to say how Serenity failed...

I kinda have to agree, about the movie part, to a certain degree. Part of the problem may have been a big movie budget; it may have been a distraction to work with, and focus on the characters suffered. My biggest reason for not enjoying the movie as much as the TV show may have had to do with the nature of the story. Dealing with River's secret was a "heavy" storyline to work through and the humor written into the movie wasn't strong enough to help aleviate the tension of the story. Plus 2 of my 3 favorite characters were killed in the story and that makes the story even sadder. I was very satisfied, however, that the story/"secret" behind why River's return was so important to the Alliance, was so well done.

I liked the movie, I just wanted it to feel more like the show, I guess.

With that said, I have enjoyed watching the Firefly DVDs repeatedly. I also had to borrow a friend's box set, and have yet to return it. I know the day will come when they must be returned, but until them, their mine, all mine, to watch.

I really would like to have more Firefly-show/Serenity-movie to find out more about Innara and her background, or to find out more about Book's background. (Maybe Book left something behind, something very important, on Serenity for safe keeping and people come looking for it. And then crew have to dig into Book's past to deal with what Book left behind...it's just a thought)

Wampa X wrote to Malachi the lich king:
Makes you look cunnin'
A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

As for the Serenity RPG: I've played and Like it! Yes, it is not your standard D20 system, but it is very playable. The RPG encourages the Roleplay more then the dice rolling. You can see it right off the bat with the character generation.

So, in the meantime, I guess we'll just have to keep going in this 'Verse with what we've been given, and be grateful.

Muz
2006-06-08, 12:01 PM

One of these days I'll have to watch Blake's 7. Weren't people (not necessarily people here, but people somewhere) saying that Farscape had a lot of similarities to that show, too, back when it (Farscape) came out (and before Sci-Fi axed it? What is it about having a good sci-fi show that necessitates it's being cancelled before its time?) ???

pandapandapie
2006-06-08, 03:59 PM
I have been a fan of Firefly since it was still on tv. I freaking love it. The reason that we can all be so dissapointed is this:

FOX: "We're canceling Firefly."
Joss Whedon: "Okay, I can wrap everything up and finish the series by the end of the season."
Fox: "Oh wait, actually we're going to continue it. Don't wrap everything up."
Joss: "Okay." *finishes season without wrapping everything up*
FOX: "Well, actually we decided we are going to cancel it. Nevermind."

Joss has now sworn to NEVER work with FOX again. He then released three comics (now available as a TPB, just follow the link WampaX gave) and eventually made Serenity with Universal (who did it because they really want to get on his good side). When advertising the movie, he took a risk and did it completely unorthdox, which is why it didn't do as well as it could have. It broke even in the theater and made some money on DVD but not much. His first movie was pretty much a flop. This is part of why there won't be more movies. The other reasons are that Nathan Fillion (Mal) has gone on to do other things and so has Joss (who will be directing/writing the Wonder Woman movie).

There will likely be more comics (assuming Joss gets the chance, he says he's bursting with ideas for things right now) but until that happens, I would highly reccomend going to ebay and buying yourself a copy of the Serenity script. It's amazing. It has all of the things in it that Joss wanted to do with the movie but didn't get the chance (including a great scene where Inara is talking with a friend about Mal).

If you are interested in merch (t-shirts and buttons and whatnot), here's some official stuff (http://www.makeusmiletees.com/setsh.html), and here's some great fan-made stuff (http://www.cafepress.com/fireflycargobay).

As for me, I'm throwing a huge party on the 22nd of this month for all my friends (several of whom have never seen Firefly) in honor of Christmas (Joss's birthday is the 23rd). We are going to crash at my house for two consecutive nights and watch all the way through Firefly and Serenity. I know it'll take about two nights because that's how long it took me over spring break. I'm also going to go to Goodwill sometime soon to get a brown trenchcoat, then taking it to a local embroidery place to get the independants' patch embroidered on the left sleeve when I get some more money (because I'm the wacky fanatic type).

It's always great to get another Browncoat. Now if you need me, I'll be in my bunk.

DMgrinder
2006-06-08, 06:01 PM
"Take my love, take my land, take where I cannot stand..." I love that song.

Ya, Firefly is one of my two favorite movies/tv shows. The other is sin city.

Sneak
2006-06-08, 06:30 PM
I just got into Firefly a week or so ago, and now I'm hooked...

...salivating...

EDIT: Of course, I'm done with all the episodes. Damn you, Fox, damn you to hell!

Midnight Son
2006-06-08, 06:35 PM
I just got into Firefly a week or so ago, and now I'm hooked...

...salivating...

EDIT: Of course, I'm done with all the episodes. Damn you, Fox, damn you to hell!

I know he's the devil and all that, but why would you wish the people who cancelled Firefly on him. That's just cruel.

Windwalker
2006-06-09, 06:41 PM
When Sci-Fi ran the series as it was meant to be seen, my parents attempted to get me to watch it. I didn't. I bought my dad Serenity for his birthday...and I finally sat down and watched it.

As soon as I was able, I ran out and picked up the dvd boxed set. I've watched every episode and listened to every commentary.

I'm trying to pick my favorite episode, but it's impossible. If you have the time, watch the episodes just for the musical score. At the very last scene of 'The Message', the music sounds as if they are not saying goodbye to Tracey, but to the entire series.

Arrested Development and Firefly. Two of my most favorite shows, cancelled. At least AD got three seasons. With the current lineup of programming, it looks like the average consumer attention span is too short for shows like these.

Two by two, hands of blue...

Midnight Son
2006-06-09, 06:46 PM
Hands down, I like Our Mrs. Reynolds the best. No wait, Jaynestown. or is it...Oh crap! I can't pick either.

Baerdog7
2006-06-09, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to pick my favorite episode, but it's impossible. If you have the time, watch the episodes just for the musical score. At the very last scene of 'The Message', the music sounds as if they are not saying goodbye to Tracey, but to the entire series.

The song is entitled "The Funeral" (fitting, no?), and I picked up on that as well. There's other things in that episode that I picked up on as hints to the end. Kaylee and Simon holding hands at the end, the old Browncoat saying that Tracy and Zoe say, that's all I can think of right now.

The Browncoat saying is probably my favorite philosophical quote in the entire series though.

Tracy: When you can't run, you crawl ... and when you can't crawl, when you can't do that...

Zoe: 'You find someone to carry you.'

-Baerdog7

bosssmiley
2006-06-09, 09:16 PM
Two by two, hands of blue...

Now that was one of the two episodes that let the whole series down for me. ::)

"Hey Doc, no-one cares about your dangerous pseudo-psychic lunatic of a sister and her unspecified Little Nell disease!

Less of the River sci-fi tosh, more Jayne and Mal do the cowboy thing!"

Sneak
2006-06-09, 09:17 PM
But...but...but sick people are hi-larious, right?

pandapandapie
2006-06-09, 11:39 PM
My favorite line is actually from my least favorite episode.

"My sister is a spaceship, we had a complicated childhood."

Although I don't think that there's a single thing Jayne has said that wasn't amazing.

Windwalker
2006-06-10, 01:26 AM
Boss - I imagine if Fox had been reasonable and given Joss more than one season the crazy sister story arc would have been better. I do, however, prefer the cowboy aspect to crazy River.

Dwarf71 - Our Mrs. Reynolds cracks me up. "You can luxiouriate in a nice little jail cell, but if your hand touches metal I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you."

Jack Squat
2006-06-10, 01:32 AM
I've had the movie for awhile (rented it as soon as it came out, was broke when it was in theatres), and half-way watched the series. I got my dad hooked on it, and now I'm going to have to go to sprawl-mart to buy the box set...I also need to by the box set of Dinosaurs!, but that's another thread :)

By the way, anyone know about how much a brown trenchcoat costs? I'm with pandapandapie. I already have a fedora and leather jacket for when Indy 4 comes out, I need a brown coat to add to my wardrobe.

Windwalker
2006-06-10, 01:48 AM
I already have a fedora and leather jacket for when Indy 4 comes out, I need a brown coat to add to my wardrobe.

Wait, what? Indy 4?

*googles*

Hmm. I, apparently, live under a rock. I guess this is what happens when one lives without cable or broadcast TV and when one hasn't seen a movie since last thanksgiving.

Baerdog7
2006-06-10, 03:22 AM
Wait, what? Indy 4?

*googles*

Hmm. I, apparently, live under a rock. I guess this is what happens when one lives without cable or broadcast TV and when one hasn't seen a movie since last thanksgiving.

There's also a Rambo 4 coming out too. It's the attack of the aging action heroes! [TV announcer voice] "They're back and older than ever!" [/TV announcer voice]

Slightly back on topic.

Jacksquat, a nice leather trenchcoat could run you somewhere above 200 USD. My suggestion would be to prowl your local Goodwill/thift store outlets for cheap trenchcoats. You probably want some kind of fabric instead of leather anyway for the browncoat look.

-Baerdog7

Midnight Son
2006-06-10, 03:55 AM
And Rocky 6. >:(

Boss - I imagine if Fox had been reasonable and given Joss more than one season the crazy sister story arc would have been better. I do, however, prefer the cowboy aspect to crazy River.

Dwarf71 - Our Mrs. Reynolds cracks me up. "You can luxiouriate in a nice little jail cell, but if your hand touches metal I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you."

That whole episode cracks me up.

"A special place in hell for...people who talk in theatres"

And in Jaynestown; River fixing the bible. I was just about crying from laughing the first time i saw that.

Baerdog7
2006-06-10, 04:24 AM
I think Jayne's Song from Jaynestown has got to be one of the best songs ever written.

"Jayne's Song"

Jayne!
The Man they call Jayne!

Oh, He robbed from the rich
and he gave to the poor.
Stood up to the man
and he gave him what for.
Our love for him now

ain’t hard to explain.
The hero of Canton
the man they call Jayne.

Our Jayne saw the mudders’ backs breakin’.
He saw the mudders’ lament.
And he saw the Magistrate takin’
every dollar and leavin’ five cents.
So he said: “You can’t do that to my people.”
said “You can’t crush them under your heel.”

So Jayne strapped on his hat
and in 5 seconds flat
stole everythin’ Boss Higgins had to steal.

Oh, He robbed from the rich
and he gave to the poor.
Stood up to the man
Our love for him now
ain’t hard to explain.

The hero of Canton
the man they call Jayne.

Now here is what separates heroes
from common folk like you and I.
The man they call Jayne
he turned ’round his plane
and let that money hit sky.

He dropped it onto our houses
he dropped it into our yards.

The man they called Jayne
he stole away our pain
and headed out for the stars!

Here we go!

He robbed from the rich
and he gave to the poor.
Stood up to the man
Our love for him now

ain’t hard to explain.
The hero of Canton
the man they call Jayne…

-Baedog7

Sneak
2006-06-10, 01:19 PM
"Noah's Ark is a problem. We'll have to call it an early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5,000 species of mammals into the same boat."

Jack Squat
2006-06-10, 01:35 PM
Wait, what? Indy 4?

*googles*

Yep, well I haven't heard of it from TV either...just from IMDB.com (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/). Last I heard (on a different site, think it's raiders.net, but that's down right now) Lucas announced that the script is done on an MTV interview, and he hopes Sean Connery will be in this one too.

Jacksquat, a nice leather trenchcoat could run you somewhere above 200 USD. My suggestion would be to prowl your local Goodwill/thift store outlets for cheap trenchcoats. You probably want some kind of fabric instead of leather anyway for the browncoat look.

Trust me, my local Goodwill doesn't have crap. I'll proabably take your advice, and look for a cheaper fabric, but I'm going to go more with whichever one looks coolest, there's a reason I have a job :D

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-10, 01:40 PM
Firefly, eh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEHd-qKZ_AU)

Baerdog7
2006-06-10, 02:33 PM
Trust me, my local Goodwill doesn't have crap. I'll proabably take your advice, and look for a cheaper fabric, but I'm going to go more with whichever one looks coolest, there's a reason I have a job :D

Heck, if you can find a pattern and some fabric and know someone who can sew you can ask them to make it for you. Stylish and tailored to fit you and only you. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

-Baerdog7

Edit: w00tcakes! Barbarian in the Playground.

ladybright
2006-06-10, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the link Shiny. :D
Check out the R. Tam sessions Wiki here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Tam_sessions and watchable here http://www.session416.com/

I am a Firefly addict too. Love it. I could go onn as long as Jubal Early but will restrain myself.

The Chillmistress who runs the Chil game I am in is Jae Walker. She is a geek extrodinare and asked Nathan Fillion to stop by the Serenity game she was playing at GenCon SoCal and he did!!! ;D Here are some of the pages with a pic of him. http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=160855 http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2503

Jack Squat
2006-06-10, 02:54 PM
Heck, if you can find a pattern and some fabric and know someone who can sew you can ask them to make it for you. Stylish and tailored to fit you and only you. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

-Baerdog7

Edit: w00tcakes! Barbarian in the Playground.

I know several people who can sew, infact I'm one of them :P. Finding a pattern will be hard, but not nearly as hard as trying to explain to my mom why I need to borrow her sewing machine :)

Besides, I'm horrible at picking out fabrics (Think King Ralph)
"Most people don't like their leader looking like a sofa."

EDIT: Great link Shiny!

2006-06-10, 06:07 PM
Glad you guys liked it.
Feel free to add a "Cap'n Tightpants" to that.

So, query.
Am I the only one a little dissapointed about Book?
*Wretched spoiler if I go on*

Baerdog7
2006-06-10, 06:23 PM
Glad you guys liked it.
Feel free to add a "Cap'n Tightpants" to that.

So, query.
Am I the only one a little dissapointed about Book?
*Wretched spoiler if I go on*

Disappointed that we didn't learn more about him? Yes.
Disappointed that he didn't have a bigger part in Serenity? Yes.
Disappointed that he didn't unleash the power of the "scary hair" more often? Yes.
Disappointed in the character itself? No.

Book was one of my favorites, I just wish that we could have learned more about him. We know that he wasn't always a shepherd, Early states this, but we never learn anything else about his past.

-Baerdog7

Midnight Son
2006-06-10, 07:27 PM
Disappointed that we didn't learn more about him? Yes.
Disappointed that he didn't have a bigger part in Serenity? Yes.
Disappointed that he didn't unleash the power of the "scary hair" more often? Yes.
Disappointed in the character itself? No.

Book was one of my favorites, I just wish that we could have learned more about him. We know that he wasn't always a shepherd, Early states this, but we never learn anything else about his past.

-Baerdog7To paraphrase Yosemite Sam, frickenfracken#@&*%@#$@#!&*%$ Fox! >:(

I don't care how many good shows they have or will put out. I will never forgive them for doing what they did to the my favorite TV show ever. There were so many back stories that needed to be told(not only Book's), and so many great things that could have been done with that Verse. Now we're very unlikely to get them. :'(

Baerdog7
2006-06-10, 07:44 PM
I've heard hushed, whispered rumors the Sci-Fi is thinking about making more episodes of Firefly and that Joss is going to make a couple more movies. I don't know if these are true or not. Still, false or not, it's hope.

-Baerdog7

2006-06-10, 09:50 PM
Me, personally, I rather liked the movie.
It surprised me, and that is extremely difficult to do.
Extremely. I have plot-senses.

Serenity defeated them.

Clay_Cthulhu
2006-08-21, 05:16 PM
I loved the origonal firefly series, but I don't think sequel series are going to be any better...
also about movie sequels on the matter; After book and wash died (and river is no longer sought after) I don't know how they're gona do other stuff.
stick to the origonals!!!

Democratus
2006-08-22, 09:25 AM
I've heard hushed, whispered rumors the Sci-Fi is thinking about making more episodes of Firefly and that Joss is going to make a couple more movies. I don't know if these are true or not. Still, false or not, it's hope.

Well, according to Joss, there is a contract with Fox that bans any other network from doing a Firefly series for 10 years. This is one reason he had to move to the movies to continue his sotry.

So don't hold your breath for a SciFi revival.

Archonic Energy
2006-08-22, 12:32 PM
is this the official home for the "we love Firefly" fanclub?

if so i'll join

Beleriphon
2006-08-23, 01:44 AM
Well, according to Joss, there is a contract with Fox that bans any other network from doing a Firefly series for 10 years. This is one reason he had to move to the movies to continue his sotry.

Thus why I must build a time machine and go back in time to kill Rupert Murdoch, thus preventing his ever having a chance to hire the moron that cancelled Firefly. That or I'll build a robot killer to do my dirty work.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-23, 01:49 AM
While you're there, could you get Futurama into the 8:30 Eastern time slot before it gets cancelled? Thanks.

ElfLad
2006-08-23, 02:17 AM
I watched Serenity first, and I thought it was a good movie.

Then I got Firefly. It kicked in my head with awesome. And I personally liked the River/Simon storylines the most. Ariel has to be my favorite episode, but I've always loved heist-type storylines, so I liked Trash, too. And Our Mrs. Reynolds was hilarious, as was Jaynestown. And Out of Gas owned in several different ways, not the least of which was Past Wash's mustache. Plus the original pilot, Serenity, was awesome. Can't forget War Stories, the Wash/Mal banter in that episode was classic. Really, the only episode that I didn't like was Heart of Gold.

Favorite character was Wash. And Simon. And Kaylee and Jayne and Mal and Zoe and River and Book and Inara.

...*bleep* you, Fox. You get points for running Firefly in the first place, but cancelling it before it had a chance to find it's audience was low. Heck, most people I know who like Firefly found out about it after it was cancelled.

Beleriphon
2006-08-23, 02:23 AM
While you're there, could you get Futurama into the 8:30 Eastern time slot before it gets cancelled? Thanks.

Can't help you there, but I'll send my robot minions to the future to ensure that Cartoon Network does pick it up like the rumours are going.

Oh, and my favourite character was Book. Damn you Fox for never letting us find out who he really was! >:(

Logic
2006-08-23, 02:27 AM
Me, personally, I rather liked the movie.
It surprised me, and that is extremely difficult to do.
Extremely. I have plot-senses.

Serenity defeated them.

i have plot sense too. im right about 80% of the time.
I can also usually predict the gender of your unborn child (currently 100% accuracy) well before the child's gender can usually be determined. one guy i said he was having twins, one of each when he told me his wife just found out she was pregant. i was spot on.

V-----um, that link went to news about Futurama returning from the pit of cancelled television, you sure you got it right?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-23, 02:53 AM
Can't help you there, but I'll send my robot minions to the future to ensure that Cartoon Network does pick it up like the rumours are going.

Oh, and my favourite character was Book. Damn you Fox for never letting us find out who he really was! >:(
More than rumors, my friend. (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?storyID=2006-06-23T033638Z_01_N22173912_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-FUTURAMA-DC.XML)

Hmm...in response to other topics...

1) Whedon didn't have to kill Book, you know, though it certainly helped plot-wise. No, he just killed him off without backstory exposition to screw with his fans.

Also, he was totally an Operative.

2) My favorite episode: hell, all of 'em except maybe Safe and Heart of Gold, though the latter had really great lines. And soap opera sex. Bushwhacked was a little slow, but it had Reavers. Umm...I'll vote Trash for my favorite: it's got a heist, Saffron, and Inara totally owning a bitch. And of course, "Also, I can kill you with my brain."

TheTick
2006-08-23, 01:48 PM
"Hiatus"

This exciting new show will feature multi-layered characters with real problems, scripts that are both funny and deeply moving with original and unexpected plot twists that break all the cliches, mind-blowing special effects, and a compelling story arc that quickly attracts extremely devoted fans. Ground-breaking and critically acclaimed, it will be cancelled after 10 episodes. Friday night, on FOX!

A friend of mine's take on Sci-fi TV shows (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Opinion/Columnists/247/colTWEN082306.htm).

Midnight Son
2006-08-23, 02:27 PM
^If I ever decide to leave this earth prematurely I'm doing it by taking a wizz on Fox's main transformer.

beholder
2006-09-25, 01:09 PM
^ i'll be handing you the diet soda to keep up a steady stream

. We know that he wasn't always a shepherd, Early states this, but we never learn anything else about his past.

-Baerdog7

coz if i had to pick a reliable source of information, i'd pick an insane bounty hunter...umm yeah?

i loved the original series. movie was ok, but it went too epic "only we can save the world blahblahblah" got enough of that in buffy
only other grumble about the movie was the loss of the cowboy feel...and the treatment of characters

wash dies, and zoe's reaction
"get up"
mal says " we gotta move"
"ok"
weak or what? i gotta agree with the others, joss please stick to series. and pease bring back firefly. have a about 9 seasons in between season 1 and the movie.
one last thing. in the series, simon pays men to break her out in cryo, but in the movie, he breaks her out himself....and then what? freezes her for fun?

you gotta love jayne
"what are we gonna do? clone him?"
/firefly rant
best tv show ever.buy the dvd's
/firefly rant

ray53208
2006-10-01, 09:34 PM
been a browncoat since day one. converted countless folks and did my part for the BDM.

welcome aboard.

ray
8)

Bookman
2006-10-30, 03:08 PM
Oh *le sigh* I've finally seen the series and understand the tragedy of cancellation.

CURSE YOU FOX!!!!

At least the memories of them will live on.

Such as my awesome Halloween costume :D

Timberwolf
2006-10-30, 03:47 PM
Yep, Firefly was the best. Wish they'd have carried it on.

Platinum_Mongoose
2006-11-09, 01:20 AM
Joss says we'll get more comics at least. 10 years before another network can do a series, you say? Is that from the show's beginning in '02? 'Cause if it is, we're halfway there already!

Fox needs a quality enima.

ray53208
2006-11-09, 09:02 AM
maybe im giving into pessimism, but i dont really know if thre will ever be more. joss has said that whatever he does with the 'verse it wont be firefly, or serenity... those stories are told.

besides fox and universal arent being too kindly with the rights as far as i can see.

but i really do hope he comes back to tell more stories. i heard that he had to wait ten years to get more episodes made, but i dont understand why.

you know, i went to a shindig for the houston browncoats recently. i had a good time. the fanbase seems as big as ever. from what i see about new people coming to love the show, id say its slowly but steadily growing.

smellie_hippie
2006-11-10, 04:42 PM
Let me just post with with my praise for Firefly, and my downfall. I say the first two episodes, as a friend burned DVD's for me. He also gave me a copy of Serenity.......................................... .

I have yet to see the rest of the series.
I'm lost.
I know how it "ends".
I'm missing the whole friggin' middle!!!!

I don't feel worthy of the browncoat, until I can russle up a pirated copy... somewhere. *sigh*:smallfrown:

Sneak
2006-11-10, 05:01 PM
I have to say, my favorite episode is Shindig. I'm not so sure why, but I just love it.

And I didn't really like the movie as much. Well, I liked it, but I didn't like how it killed Wash. Book, I can live with. But Wash...he was my damn favorite character! Or one of them, anyway.

Some other things bothered me about it too. For instance...in the show, River was more of a nutty whackjob psychic, while in the movie she mysteriously transformed into a badass assassin whackjob psychic.

Oh, and as an aside...Now that the River story is over, I think they should get her plastic surgery and mess with her brain more until she's a clone of Wash. Then the pointless character can be done with and the awesome character can be back!

Although that is, of course, assuming that there will be another continuation of Firefly, which isn't likely.

Ragan
2006-11-13, 01:40 PM
To answer the original question, I deal with the loss by watching Battlestar Galactica. Someting very different but of really high quality too. So different you cannot compare, but I think it's as good. (let the flame wars begin).

Logic
2006-11-13, 02:44 PM
To answer the original question, I deal with the loss by watching Battlestar Galactica. Someting very different but of really high quality too. So different you cannot compare, but I think it's as good. (let the flame wars begin).

I agree with you. Different, but definatly of the same quality as Firefly.

Platinum_Mongoose
2006-11-21, 01:09 AM
Farscape is the only sci-fi show for me that can fill the Firefly-void. Granted, it's gone now, too, but still... Peacekeeper Wars was fan-freaking-awesome-tastic.
I never really got into Battlestar Galactica or Stargate, though I've been meaning to give them another go.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-21, 06:21 PM
Farscape is the only sci-fi show for me that can fill the Firefly-void. Granted, it's gone now, too, but still... Peacekeeper Wars was fan-freaking-awesome-tastic.
I never really got into Battlestar Galactica or Stargate, though I've been meaning to give them another go.
If you like Farscape and Firefly, might I recommend Stargate: SG-1? Not only is it an excellent, excellent series by itself, but over the last two or three seasons, Morena Baccarin, Claudia Black, and Ben Browder (as practically the same character) have joined as regular cast members. Of course, this series is only half a season away from concluding, but they have nine seasons of backlog!

There's also Stargate: Atlantis, which I don't enjoy but many do. I hear Jewel Staite landed a recurring role for their next season, but it might be a little...different...from her Firefly appearance.

Logic
2006-11-21, 07:01 PM

Fox is *censored* for doing this to us.
If they won't release more Firefly, why do they have to have a stranglehold so no one else can!?
Stupid frakking politics.

*Goes to watch BSG instead*

Brenners_Formula
2006-11-24, 09:10 PM
Hello!

Its been awhile since I've been to the board and I just stumble in to find a thread dedicated to FireFly.

I've loved FireFly since the day it started, I have stood by it through thick and thin.

For anyone interested in the board from Fox, which is still going strong, here is the link:

http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly

I think its great that people are still discovering the 'Verse and the wonderful characters there in.

Welcome, welcome!

PM

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-12-01, 05:45 PM
Ya a friend lent me the DVD season and I loved it, it was fresh and different for sci-fi with good characters and stories.

Duffren
2006-12-05, 02:09 PM
It sucks that it was canceled. I only bought the DVDs recently, but Ive been unable to stop watching. I will make the best Shepard costume I can and travel around like with my DVD box spreading the word like Book and his...book.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 07:50 PM
Ive actually never heard of Firefly unfortunately

Sneak
2006-12-11, 08:22 PM
So you figured you just HAD to post here, right? :P

Let me enlighten you. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series))

WampaX
2006-12-11, 08:29 PM
So you figured you just HAD to post here, right? :P

Let me enlighten you. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29)

I thought the usual response was to just ship them a DVD boxset?

Amotis
2006-12-11, 08:39 PM
I thought the usual response was to just ship them a DVD boxset?

*coughcough* I've never heard of Firefly...

bosssmiley
2006-12-12, 12:40 AM
Don't joke Amotis. These brownpants (or whatever the fans call themselves) model themselves on Mal in taking their lost cause far too seriously. You might end up with 1/2-dozen boxed sets, or just a bunch of "Firefly" geeks turning up at your place for an all-nighter. :smallwink:

Ive actually never heard of Firefly unfortunately

Someone on a gaming board who has never heard of "Firefly"? :smallconfused:
I call bot! :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2006-12-12, 02:32 AM
Don't joke Amotis. These brownpants (or whatever the fans call themselves) model themselves on Mal in taking their lost cause far too seriously. You might end up with 1/2-dozen boxed sets, or just a bunch of "Firefly" geeks turning up at your place for an all-nighter. :smallwink:

Good point.

You know, I'VE never heard of Firefly before.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-13, 12:27 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ......
.................................................. .................................................. ......
...........FOX did what to Firefly?

FDSGSKFGSNSKNB KHHSFKGN! <----(Incoherent rage noises)

Damn you FOX! Stop killing what I love or I'll return the favor! I just started watching the friggin show and now I found out its canceled! Damn it! Well god bless Sci Fi for once. God bless you for continuing to show Firefly reruns. And now I must try and find the DVDs for this series as well as the Serenity movie (Which I had a joygasm over.)

Question though, is the Operative in Firefly or is he a movie only character?

CommanderFalken
2006-12-13, 12:40 AM
Ah yes, Firefly. Firefly is god's sign that he loves us and wants us to be happy...

*cough*

Anyway.... My favorite episode is Safe. Just because of the final scene.

Mal: well, looks like we arrived just in the nick of time. What's that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Aint that right.

Townsman: You cannot think to thwart God's will!
Mal: Y'all see the man up there, hangin outa the spaceship with the really big gun? He aint happy to be here. I'm not saying you weren't hard to find, but he didn't wanna come in the first place. Man's looking to kill some flk. I reckon it's his will y'all should be worrying about thwarting.

Anyway, there is a chance that the world is saved.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72263-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

There is a god after all.

averagejoe
2006-12-13, 12:49 AM
Townsman: That woman is a witch!
Mal: Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down.

Yeah, I liked that one too, for the same reasons.

I'm only tentatively excited about the game. They really don't even have anything to announce yet, and the wrong designers could easily screw it up.

Adlan
2006-12-13, 08:49 AM
I friggin love firefly.
I've not seen the series, nor the film. But it's all bloody wraths fault, cos Due to him I got the RPG book, and now I's hooked.

Damnation and all that over the cancelling. And Damnation over my poverty, I'm gonna have to save up for ages to buy the DVD's Unless this Works:

I have never heard of Firefly *crosses fingers*

For postal details inquire within ;)

Charity
2006-12-13, 09:32 AM
Hey all you brits
They are selling the boxset in HMV for £12,95 .*stampede*.. where'd they all go?

Greebo
2006-12-13, 12:38 PM
Buy one get one free boxed set with free shipping through friday:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promotion/buyAndGetFree_form.cfm?promoname=foxb1g1_1206

Firefly is on the list. :)

Amiria
2006-12-14, 01:56 PM
I just bought the Firefly DVD box today. *cough* I hope it it worth the 30 Euros ...

*ducks*

I didn't really read aanything about it so I have no idea what awaits me now ... but there are these persistent rumors that it is a good show ...

Okay, Serenity DVD on play ... NOW !!!

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-12-14, 03:21 PM
It's awesome! Great characters and setting (otherwise known as the verse)

Greebo
2006-12-14, 04:43 PM
Its definitely a creative and original storyline. Its a damn shame that Fox did everything it could to kill it before it ever had a chance. Its more of a shame that Serenity fared so poorly in the box office, because had it made money, we'd have had more of a chance of getting Firefly back into production. :/

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-14, 10:52 PM
I just bought the Firefly DVD box today. *cough* I hope it it worth the 30 Euros ...

*ducks*

I didn't really read aanything about it so I have no idea what awaits me now ... but there are these persistent rumors that it is a good show ...

Okay, Serenity DVD on play ... NOW !!!
Prepare for incredulous expressions of joy when she gets back, people.

Especially since I paid 40 USD for it...

ZombieRockStar
2006-12-14, 11:01 PM
$20 CAN for my copy of the DVDs, and an extra $15 for Serenity.

First thing I did after watching was to go work out the chords to "The Ballad of Serenity" on my guitar.

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity.
You can't take the sky from me.

<insert standard declaration of rage at FOX here>

Amotis
2006-12-14, 11:07 PM
$20 CAN for my copy of the DVDs, and an extra $15 for Serenity.

First thing I did after watching was to go work out the chords to "The Ballad of Serenity" on my guitar.

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity.
You can't take the sky from me.

<insert standard declaration of rage at FOX here>

I guess that's slightly cooler then me learning Brokeback Mt. on my guitar...

averagejoe
2006-12-14, 11:42 PM
You know, I always hear about people learning the theme song, but no one ever learns the ballad of Jayne. I should really learn the guitar.

ZombieRockStar
2006-12-14, 11:47 PM
Of course! I suppose that means I'll have to watch "Jeynestown" again to memorize the song.

Jayne...the man they call Jayne...
Our love for him now ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne

Wooter
2006-12-14, 11:53 PM
I'm getting a Jayne hat soon. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2006-12-15, 03:15 AM
He robs from the rich and he gives to the poor
Stood up to the man and he gave him what for

Our love for him now ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne

Jayne saw the mudders' backs breakin'
he saw the mudders' laments
and he saw the magistrate takin'
every dollar and leavin' five cents

Mike_Lemmer
2006-12-15, 03:49 AM
Hmmm, if a dozen episodes, a movie, an RPG, etc. aren't enough for you, I say the Farscape series makes an excellent companion to Firefly.

I'd chime in about how great Firefly is, but that's already been done for me.

Draigo
2006-12-15, 01:46 PM
man i miss those...

DO NOT SEE THE MOVIE!! IT WAS HORRIBLE!! HE KILLED WASH AND THE PREACHER! FOR NO GOOD REASON!! AND THE WHOLE THING WITH MAL AND INARA WAS DONE VERY BADLY

ON A SIDE NOTE, I LIKE THE CAP LOCK BUTTON, ITS MY FRIEND

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-15, 09:01 PM
Of course he killed *spoilers*. He's Joss ruttin' Whedon. Killing major characters for no reason is like a hobby for him.

Jerthanis
2006-12-18, 11:55 AM
I actually saw the movie first, it was my introduction to the series, and as much as fans tend to say that you can't watch it alone, I think you can, since I did. Not only did I like the movie, I thought it even surpassed the series in quality, not just in budget, but also storytelling, drama, action and other fronts. I consider the show to be highly enjoyable with great characters and almost limitless potential, but the movie was truly great sci-fi. We didn't have time to wallow in Kaylee's adorable smile because the movie was two hours long, and there were already REAVERS coming up the HELL. Still, from watching the movie alone it was easy to get the image of the responsible big brother Simon Tam, the quixotic River Tam, the violent and brutish Jayne, the struggling captain with a chip on his shoulder Mal... You GOT the characters from the movie itself, and you'd have to be very nitpicky to find an aspect of the movie which doesn't hold it's own water.

The show DID have better more character development, but that's because it was a TV show which was almost entirely devoted to character development. Jaynestown, Safe, Out of Gas, even War Stories to a smaller degree weren't about situations, but about the characters. Maybe Joss could write a KILLER two hour script about smuggling cows out of a planetary lockdown to a shady business contact, with a dozen private conversations and the witty banter, but it would have made a terrible movie. They had to go epic, because they were working on the premise that 1.) people didn't know the series, since it had low ratings and 2.) were looking for an exciting rocking good time with some funky space battles *Zap zap!* and 3.) They would probably never get another chance to tell their story.

Disliking the movie for killing major characters isn't a multifaceted look at the dimensions of storytelling. This was, going into it, probably the last trip of the Serenity that we'd get to see, but still we had to be convinced that it was not only a possibility that we'd never see another job well done and payment recieved, but that the characters wouldn't see it either. Going into the last climactic series of scenes would not have felt the same had he NOT died so abruptly. The characters would seem immortal because they were the main characters. But after the shock of recovering from seeing him die without even finishing his line, when Zoe gets cut you think "That could be it!" when Kaylee gets hit with the darts you think "That's the end!" and when Mal gets impaled on a sword you think, "Has our hero met his finish?"... the death near the end, I think, brought more emotional connection to the final series of scenes than any other single aspect. And having watched the movie alone, from the movie itself I thought him the perfect candidate to martyr himself to make the end exciting. After watching the series I would have preferred Inara (seriously, she's just a culturally refined love interest who had a couple good lines in Trash)

Anyway, Out of Gas was my favorite from the series itself because of its amazing use of time and flashbacks to tell a complete story. Truly great storytelling. Heart of Gold was another favorite because of Mal's really great plans and reactions. Defending a whorehouse against a posse is a fantastic storyline for a western in space. The things like Jayne getting a prostitute to hand him his guns as he ran out of ammo were classic.

I've run the RPG system, and there are some flaws with it. For example, there isn't an easy to figure out balance of a rate at which to distribute funds. If you give a job worth 200c, you risk the party being unable to even take off, due to lack of food, fuel, maintainance or other stuff. They can be stranded if you don't give them enough money, and while that could make its own story and be interesting, it also takes the wind out of the players' sail... they failed to "keep flyin'"... however, if you give them 800c for a mission, they would be able to aquire a full complement of black market tactical body armors which they can use to make themselves practically invincible against small arms fire... there needs to be a guide on a simple way to keep track of how much money to give them, what is reasonable pay for a job with a reasonable degree of risk. However, Plot points are so freaking awesome that I can't believe. And the simplicity of the system affords a speed and ease of play which is great. Binary pass-fail mechanics dealing with only 3 or perhaps 4 levels of difficulty notwithstanding.

Still, it's a way to keep flyin'.

Greebo
2006-12-19, 11:41 AM
So wait, some of you didn't like the movie because major characters died, and "for no good reason" to boot?

Hey, WELCOME TO LIFE!!!

People die for stupid reasons! That's part of life! A true story teller includes the bad aspects of life with the good, and Josh Whedon has done just that! The greatest works of literature of all time all deal with the finality of life in some fashion.

Happy endings where nothing bad happens are for wimps who don't want to deal with reality.

Matthew
2006-12-19, 12:13 PM
Well, actually, Whedon indicated that the reason he killed him off was to make the audience think it might be possible that whe was going to kill them all off. To me, though, it just seemed like the same tactic used in the finale episodes of Buffy and Angel, oh Anya's dead, oh Wesley's dead... well worth it.

Firefly is many things, but an intentional reflection of the randomness of life and death it is not.

Don Beegles
2006-12-22, 04:03 PM
Oh joy of joys. About three months ago, after reading about it here, I reserved the collected set at the library. I'd almost given up, when I get an email today saying it's in. Of course, considering it's the weekend before Xmas, I'll probably have to wait until at least Tuesday, but it should be well worth it.

ray53208
2006-12-22, 04:35 PM
i have two copies of firefly. one for loanin' and one for watchin'.

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-24, 05:16 PM
I got the boxed set of the series from my parents for early Christmas last week, and I received "Serenity" from my husband's grandmother, yesterday. I am very happy, now. I can't wait to get everything opened and watched very soon!

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 12:09 PM
I was able to watch the Series premiere last night, and I just gotta say wow.

I loved the western feel; it worked personally despite spaceships and fancy guns. In fact, it seems like you could make it not science fiction and have everything work perfectly, right down to Reavers becoming Indians.

The whole still reeling from a Civil War was perfect as well. Throughout the episode, I assumed the goods were some sort of metal, and realizing that they were just bricks of food was touching, in a way.

Got some theories about all of the characters, but I'll need to see more before I can say for sure.

Oh, and what exactly is Jeyne? I assume he's in charge of weapons and tactics or something, but I didn't notice that it said as much anywhere.

Jack Squat
2006-12-27, 12:13 PM
Oh, and what exactly is Jeyne? I assume he's in charge of weapons and tactics or something, but I didn't notice that it said as much anywhere.

He's basically the gunman for the group, a mercenary more or less. It explains in the later episodes

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 01:28 PM
I figured, what with having him take care of snipers, but wasn't sure. He's pretty cool, probably my favorite after the first episode, though Book shows promise of being very interesting.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-12-27, 02:23 PM
Everybody loves Jayne. Just wait until you hear the Jayne song!

ZombieRockStar
2006-12-27, 02:30 PM
I loved the western feel; it worked personally despite spaceships and fancy guns. In fact, it seems like you could make it not science fiction and have everything work perfectly, right down to Reavers becoming Indians.

Except that then you have all sorts of nasty issues, what with the accusations of racism and all if you make the Reavers as natives. (Not sarcasm, just saying)

Welcome to the fold young one. Here, have a coat. It's kind of a brownish colour.

I don't love Jayne. I love Mal. Mal owns that show.

Dragor
2006-12-27, 02:33 PM
I love Firefly. Brilliantly written, characters you can reallyconnect with, and excellent humour. It's Sci-Fi at its best.

I'd only heard of Firefly from my Dad, who decided it was worth buying as all his American pals couldn't stop raving about it. I tagged along, sat in front of the TV and watched the first 3 episodes on the DVD...

Oh, my, god.

It was so brilliant. I was laughing and enjoying myself all the way- possibly more than any other TV show I've ever watched. And I was so angry that they didn't carry it on. FOX are probably the most non-sensical company on the planet to cut such a thing.

And yes, the Jayne Song is legendary. Also, was that the guy who played Luke Skywalker starring in the first episode as the mole? Thought it was just me for a while.

Serenity was good, but when I watched it with my mates they found it a bit confusing at times, because- as stated above- they didn't develop the characters very well for people who hadn't seen the TV show.

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 04:45 PM
Except that then you have all sorts of nasty issues, what with the accusations of racism and all if you make the Reavers as natives. (Not sarcasm, just saying)

Welcome to the fold young one. Here, have a coat. It's kind of a brownish colour.

I don't love Jayne. I love Mal. Mal owns that show.

I think the thing with Reavers as Indians is that there are two way sof looking at the Native Americans. In one view, the realer view, they were wonderful people who were mistreated horribly by the white man. In the Western view, they are savages who are generally evil and powerful and are an inexorable force. The Reavers take all of the plot point of the second view without the racism that would occur if they actually were Indians. It's less accurate to say that they represent Indians than to say that they represent the same thing the Indians represented in Cowboy literature.

It's funny, because I got a brown (well, tan) coat for Christmas, so I'm officially a brown coat in more ways than one.

So far my favorite character is probably Kaylee. SHe's not exactly the most interesting or enigmatic, but her optimism is infectious and she's adorable.

Dragor
2006-12-27, 05:27 PM
Oh, come on, you cannot resist Wash's charms.... and Jayne's gung-ho attitude.

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 05:48 PM
In the first two episodes, not too much is seen of Wash. I'm sure he's develoiped later, but I don't really know him too well.

And Jayne is great, in fact, they're all great, but so far the one I enjoy the most is Kaylee. I want some explanation on River, though; what the hell went on in that Academy?

[Note: That was rhetorical. Please don't answer it.]

Cubey
2006-12-27, 05:53 PM
I do not want to open a can of worms here, but the Indians (although, I agree, horribly mistreated by european settlers) were not as noble, flawless and one-with-nature as the modern day equivalents of druids want us to believe.

On the topic, everyone likes Jayne. That's why Mal made him his head of public relations (hell, he even admits it in the first episode!). Wash doesn't get a lot of showtime in the first few episodes, that is correct, but how can we forget the dinosaurs' talk at the very start!

If I were to point out my most favourite character, I couldn't. My least favourite character is Inara though - I'm not saying I dislike her, it's just that in most episodes she's not doing anything important/funny, she's just there. There are exceptions of course, like Trash.

Lyesmith
2006-12-27, 06:08 PM
I too am a shameless Firefly addict.
and am i the only one who likes Kaylee?SHe's pretty much my favourite,i think.

Marak_Knight
2006-12-27, 06:26 PM
One thing, out of many questions i have about Firefly which bug the heck out of me and i know im never going to get answers to. WHAT THE HELL DID THOSE ALLIANCE GUYS SEE ON SHEPERD BOOKS ID CARD? One minute they're all "dont bleed on my floor or I'll shoot you" the next they cant get him to the infirmary quick enough, what gives man?

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 08:03 PM
I do not want to open a can of worms here, but the Indians (although, I agree, horribly mistreated by european settlers) were not as noble, flawless and one-with-nature as the modern day equivalents of druids want us to believe.

Didn't say they were. No ethnicity and culture is perfect. I said the Native Americans are wonderful, which they were. It's a fine distinction but it makes a big difference.

EDIT: @^ No, no you're not Aziraphale. Like I said, she's probably my favorite as well.

ElfLad
2006-12-27, 08:57 PM
My favorite character is Wash. Right from the opening scene of the pilot episode with the dinosaurs, I knew that even if the rest of the series consisted of an orange cat saying "I hate Mondays," it would still be the best series ever.

Ahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-27, 09:12 PM
"Stole 4x Dia Log from Firefly."

We know, ElfLad.

PaladinFreak
2006-12-27, 09:32 PM
Firefly Kicks ---!

I haven't seen much of it, but what I see, I really like

Wolfgang
2006-12-28, 01:09 AM
Favorites? It's so hard to choose . I love them all, even River (which makes me unique among my friends). I'm going to have to go with Mal though. Both Nathan Fillion and his character are so ridiculously cool that I'm still in shock.

The only gripe I have with the entire franchise is that there was no reason for Joss Whedon to be an expletive and go "Ha ha! I'll never tell you anything about Book!" It's not nice, interesting, or clever.

Greebo
2006-12-28, 02:53 AM
I think the thing with Reavers as Indians is that there are two way sof looking at the Native Americans. In one view, the realer view, they were wonderful people who were mistreated horribly by the white man. In the Western view, they are savages who are generally evil and powerful and are an inexorable force. The Reavers take all of the plot point of the second view without the racism that would occur if they actually were Indians. It's less accurate to say that they represent Indians than to say that they represent the same thing the Indians represented in Cowboy literature.
Yeah, um... no.

Have you watched Serenity yet? If not, trust me, you're WAY off on the Reavers...

Greebo
2006-12-28, 02:54 AM
One thing, out of many questions i have about Firefly which bug the heck out of me and i know im never going to get answers to. WHAT THE HELL DID THOSE ALLIANCE GUYS SEE ON SHEPERD BOOKS ID CARD? One minute they're all "dont bleed on my floor or I'll shoot you" the next they cant get him to the infirmary quick enough, what gives man?
When you see Serenity I think this will become clear as to the type of man Shepherd Book was in his past.

Until then, just enjoy him. :)

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-28, 04:13 PM
>.> Am I the only one who likes River as the favorite character? Though Mal is a very very close second followed by Jayne. And I mean River even without considering the whole "kung-fu master" abilities shown in Serenity.

Dragor
2006-12-28, 05:32 PM
>.> Am I the only one who likes River as the favorite character? Though Mal is a very very close second followed by Jayne. And I mean River even without considering the whole "kung-fu master" abilities shown in Serenity.

I just found River really creepy, and even more so with the episode with the rescue of Mal and Wash (which was pretty gory, and yet had lots of funnies too.)

It's just where she managed to shoot those two soldiers without looking which made me smile, but also made me wary. She's nutso!

Wolfgang
2006-12-28, 05:54 PM
I was never bothered by how creepy River is. I like creepy. No, the problem was how embarrassed and awkward I felt merely being in the same room with most of her scenes. It just didn't feel right.

I've gotten over it and come to appreciate her role in the story, but most Firefly fans I know haven't.

Anyway, I got the Firefly Companion thingy for Christmas. It's some shiny stuff. Anyone else have it?

TinSoldier
2006-12-28, 06:01 PM
Anyway, I got the Firefly Companion thingy for Christmas. It's some shiny stuff. Anyone else have it?Yes, I have it. I read it over the holiday (I had purchased it about a month or so before).

I can't wait to get the second volume.

For the record, my favorite character is Kaylee.

Amotis
2006-12-28, 06:12 PM
River is my favorite. I don't know why...but she is.
However, in all, The Operative is my all time/goosebumbs-he's-so-cool character. *drool* sooo awesome.

Wolfgang
2006-12-28, 06:15 PM
However, in all, The Operative is my all time/goosebumbs-he's-so-cool character. *drool* sooo awesome.

Yes, the Operative was the best part of Serenity by far.

Not to say I didn't like the movie or anything, but that would still be the case if it had been the best movie ever. He's a tough act to beat.

TinSoldier
2006-12-28, 06:15 PM
However, in all, The Operative is my all time/goosebumbs-he's-so-cool character. *drool* sooo awesome.I've been debating myself over whether I find the Operative or Early to be more creepy.

Does that seem right to you? :smallbiggrin:

Wolfgang
2006-12-28, 06:19 PM
"I don't kill children."
'I do. If I have to.'

Early was great, but I think that alone gives the Operative the creepiness edge.

Amotis
2006-12-28, 06:21 PM
His last line was awesome.
"There is nothing more to see."

Jesus...his faith, his drive, everything was spot on and totally awesome.

TinSoldier
2006-12-28, 06:25 PM
Yeah I know, but I found Early to be just as ruthless as the Operative, just a little more damaged in the head. Whereas the Operative was completely rational. Always.

"I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though. I have a mighty roar."

Angela
2006-12-28, 07:02 PM
The only gripe I have with the entire franchise is that there was no reason for Joss Whedon to be an expletive and go "Ha ha! I'll never tell you anything about Book!" It's not nice, interesting, or clever.

I think the intention was for us to find out a whole lot more about the character's pasts during the series... Personally, I want to better understand the 'hands of blue', Book's past... I wanted to see Mal and Inarra get over themselves long enough to get together...

For these failings, we can't blame Joss Whedon - blame the idiots who cancelled it....

ClericofPhwarrr
2006-12-28, 07:27 PM
Those of you interested in the table RPG should definitely give it a shot. One of the best I've ever played; it beats D&D in my book. ...Though I suppose it helps much that everyone in my group is a major Browncoat.

Also, everyone's heard about the Firefly MMORPG that's probably coming out, right?

RandomNPC
2006-12-28, 08:57 PM
MMORPG? yeayness for me and my slow computer.

the RPG is good, the book introduces the rules with comments and written scenes between characters to get you in the mood for the area of the rules your going over, like "Jayne are those gernades" "captin says he doesnt want em" and then it goes on about weapons.

havent gotten to play it yet, but im working on it.

Dragonrider
2007-01-03, 11:34 PM
My favorite quotes:
"Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing."
"Also...I can kill you with my brain."
"I'm trying to put this as delicately as I can...how do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?"

Or probably, my favorite misquotes. Anyway.

averagejoe
2007-01-04, 12:41 AM
I knew it would degenerate to this eventually. Ah, well.

"You couldn't get an invite with a diamond the size of a testicle, but I just so happened to get my hands on a couple."

Zoe: Wait, this is something the captain has to do for himself. Mal: No it isn't!

"What'd you guys order a dead guy for?"

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-04, 03:36 AM
"My very own riot?"

"They say never hit a man's face with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious."

"We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero."

Greebo
2007-01-04, 09:28 AM
"How bad?" "Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
"Explode? I don't want to explode."
and not so much funny but one of my favorites, from "War Stories"
"You wanna meet the REAL me NOW?"

ampcptlogic
2007-01-04, 09:56 AM
Zoe: "As I recall, the Bible has some very specific things to say about killing people."
Book, picking up a gun: "It's doesn't say anything about kneecaps."

And yes, I know it's probably a misquote.

"Yessir, Captain Tightpants!"

"He looks better in red."

Logic
2007-01-04, 10:06 AM
Paraphrasing, but its still my favorite:
"There is a special layer of hell reserved for child molesters and people that talk at the theatre** "

**Could be "the movies" but I honestly can't remember.

Greebo
2007-01-04, 10:14 AM
Oh, I'm going to the special hell...

Bookman
2007-01-04, 01:03 PM
Oh, I'm going to the special hell...

hehehehe

Well I got the DVD's offically today! :biggrin:

I fully intend on watching at least one episode tomorrow.

Jack Squat
2007-01-04, 01:06 PM
hehehehe

Well I got the DVD's offically today! :biggrin:

I fully intend on watching at least one episode tomorrow.

Congrats!

Mine were shipped out yesterday (bought them online from Best Buy), then I saw them on the shelf at Target. You have no idea the agony that went through my mind :smallfrown: I guess for now I'll just stick to watching them on the Interweb.

Amotis
2007-01-04, 06:22 PM
I guess for now I'll just stick to watching them on the Interweb.

Please pm the link? I don't have the DVD's...

Jack Squat
2007-01-04, 08:49 PM
Please pm the link? I don't have the DVD's...

I would, but I just checked, and apparantly there was a big crackdown on posted tv shows. dammit, now I really want those DVDs :smallannoyed:

Amotis
2007-01-04, 08:56 PM
Yeah...my tv on teh internet site just had that same problem. No more scrubs...

Don Beegles
2007-01-04, 09:29 PM
I'm still only halfway through the season because we just got 24 Season Three, but some of my favorite quotes so far are from Shindig.

"Yes, it must be humiliating to lie on the ground while the better man refuses to shed your blood. They say mercy is the mark of a great man." Stab "I'm only a good man." Stab again. "Well, I'm alright."

And then later:
Mal: I got stabbed right here. Wanna see?
Inorra: I've seen. Though on the whole I think it worked out fairly well.
Mal:<Indignant> I got stabbed!

TinSoldier
2007-01-07, 01:34 AM
I watched some of my DVDs today with the commentary on:
Serenity (pilot)
The Train Job
Out of Gas
War Stories.

War Stories is my favorite episode, but I didn't like the commentary that much. Even though Nathan and Alan are cool actors, the commentary wasn't great.

ElfLad
2007-01-07, 02:50 AM
Holy... You can choose a favorite episode?

Huh. I'd have to go with Out of Gas. Or Our Mrs. Reynolds. Or Trash. Or- DAMMIT! This is what happened last time!

Don Beegles
2007-01-07, 09:26 AM
So far my favorite episodes would be Shindig, Our Mrs Reynolds, Jaynestown, Out of Gas, and I still have about 4 more to watch.

What Language do they swear in? I assume Chinese because in Trash, Inarra uses the word Swashi which is just "Chinese for Petty", but I don't know if they speak another language beside it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-07, 11:04 AM
Mandarin Chinese. It's all to do with how cultures were blended together during the long exodus from Earth. That, and it's an easy censor bypass.

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-01-07, 05:33 PM
I just started watching episodes on Universal HD yesterday. GENIUS. I had already seen Serenity and declared it one of the best sci-fi movies ever, and watching the original show just adds more to my glee.

Bookman
2007-01-07, 06:01 PM
What Language do they swear in? I assume Chinese because in Trash, Inarra uses the word Swashi which is just "Chinese for Petty", but I don't know if they speak another language beside it.

Actually it's not always swearing. Sometimes they say other things. The best source I've found is Fireflywiki's episode guide (http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/EpisodeGuide)They have the translations at the bottom of each episode description.

Dhavaer
2007-01-07, 06:48 PM
I'd say my favourite episode was Safe, and my least favourite Out of Gas.

TinSoldier
2007-01-07, 10:57 PM
The reason War Stories is my favorite is just how it exposes the relationship between Wash, Zoe, and Mal. You know, I was LMAO the first time when Mal and Wash were arguing while being tortured by Niska! Wow. That was awesome. Plus it gave us the first real glimpse of River's bad-assitude.

Next would be Objects in Space and after that it would be Out of Gas.

Shindig and Heart of Gold are probably my least favorites. Though they are still good.

Amotis
2007-01-07, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna buy the dvd set now. What should I pay for it?

Dhavaer
2007-01-07, 11:58 PM
I'm gonna buy the dvd set now. What should I pay for it?

Uh... $30? Assuming that US prices are just a matter of currency conversion.

Amotis
2007-01-07, 11:59 PM
That's rarely the case. I just don't want to get ripped off.

Dhavaer
2007-01-08, 12:01 AM
A season of a TV show seems to range from $50 to $150 here. So $30 to $90 for you.

TinSoldier
2007-01-08, 12:58 AM
Firefly DVD set is really inexpensive. I've seen it in stores, but Amazon has it for just under $25US. Really, that's pretty good.

Jack Squat
2007-01-11, 09:09 PM
Just got the DVDs Monday. I've been watching them in my Web Page Design class. That is all.

Free1983
2007-01-13, 06:17 AM
I don't care how much it is, I lend the serie, I watched it and I was hooked for the weekend. No more episodes :smallfrown:

Don Beegles
2007-01-14, 04:15 PM
I'm not entirely sure about, Free. I just finished the series the other day, and have acquire the conviction that what happened is that I saw them all on TV and then fell asleep. Everything that has appeared to have happened since then is actually part of a dream in which I thought it was cancelled. When I wake up, we'll all be in teh past, knowing exactly what to do for the next few years, so nothing will change except that Fox will not actually have cancelled Firefly. So everyone, pinch me quick, so I wake up.

But honestly, why did Fox cancelled it? Did they ever shed light on the reasoning behind that stupid executive decision, or are they just keeping quiet about it?

Jack Squat
2007-01-14, 04:24 PM
Would any reason actually redeem them?

Don Beegles
2007-01-14, 06:01 PM
No, but I always feel that I can forgive someone better if I can understand why they committed the crime in the first place. And cancelling Firefly is quite a crime.

Midnight Son
2007-01-15, 01:25 AM
I'm not entirely sure about, Free. I just finished the series the other day, and have acquire the conviction that what happened is that I saw them all on TV and then fell asleep. Everything that has appeared to have happened since then is actually part of a dream in which I thought it was cancelled. When I wake up, we'll all be in teh past, knowing exactly what to do for the next few years, so nothing will change except that Fox will not actually have cancelled Firefly. So everyone, pinch me quick, so I wake up.

But honestly, why did Fox cancelled it? Did they ever shed light on the reasoning behind that stupid executive decision, or are they just keeping quiet about it?
Just going from memory here, but I believe the reason given was, "lack of viewership." If I go much further into that topic, I'll go into a violent rage, so I'm just leaving it at that.

averagejoe
2007-01-15, 02:53 AM
It really was lack of viewership, but the way Fox marketed the show it couldn't really develop a viewership. It did episodes out of order, put them at the bad slots, inconsitent times, all that sort of thing.

Besides, this is Fox we're talking about. They're the guys that canceled Family Guy twice. Now, I'm not saying whether the show is good or bad, but it's a show you want to have if you like people watching your networks.

CommanderFalken
2007-01-15, 11:03 PM
I missed out on it while it was airing on TV... which really sucks. But I did watch the entire DVD set, and THEN Serenity, (which is how it's really supposed to be watched :smallwink:)

Total amazingness.

As I understand, Fox aired the Pilot episode LAST. Why? Who knows, it's Fox. Then they played them all out of order, and canceled it after 11 episodes. (We have 14 because they had a few filmed before they were killed).

What I would love to have done is to have gone to the Comic-Con where they first presented Serenity. I would have KILLED to have been in that crowd.

Amotis
2007-01-16, 12:03 AM
"Hello do you have the firefly box set?"

"Sorry we're all out."

*cries*

TinSoldier
2007-01-16, 12:09 AM

"Sorry we're all out."

*cries*(*inserts Monty Python Cheese Sketch joke to cheer up Amotis...*)

Greebo
2007-01-16, 09:20 AM

"Sorry we're all out."

*cries*
Check Amazon and do web searches for discounted deals. We got it really cheap for christmas from a place having a sale - I posted the link a ways back in this thread.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-17, 03:58 AM

"Sorry we're all out."

*cries*

*Browncoat sympathy*

mooseofshadows
2007-01-22, 06:33 PM
I guess I understand why the show got cancelled, but I just wish it would come back. I mean, it have a ridiculously large fanbase, and a director and cast who are relatively available (I don't think I've seen any of their names on any big jobs, except maybe Alan Tudyk). Is there a problem I don't know about, or has Joss finally given up?

Dragor
2007-01-22, 07:06 PM
Oh god, I just lent out my DVD copy to my friend. He liked it. Now he's handing it to my other friend. He's hopelessly addicted.

I fear for my Firefly DVD never returning....

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-23, 03:03 AM
I guess I understand why the show got cancelled, but I just wish it would come back. I mean, it have a ridiculously large fanbase, and a director and cast who are relatively available (I don't think I've seen any of their names on any big jobs, except maybe Alan Tudyk). Is there a problem I don't know about, or has Joss finally given up?

Joss has stated previously that he will never work with Fox again, after the way that they prevented Firefly from becoming the show it should have been. Meanwhile, Fox is unlikely to give up their rights to the series, so it would be almost 10 years before Joss could start filming without them. :smallfrown:

...at least we have Serenity. Though as phenominal as it was, the movie makes it MUCH harder to bring back the show.

Josh and crew knew it was going to be the story's last statement, so they didn't worry about making it easy to pick up from. There's almost no way that the show could continue in the same vein as it was before.

Finally, bringing all the cast, set, etc back together is an incredibly difficult task.

As I've said before, the planned MMORPG should alleviate the pain. And it's Multiverse who's planning to produce it; they do good work (Star Wars Galaxies, Eve Online...). Meanwhile, the pen/paper RPG is one of the better ones I've played.

Tengu
2007-01-23, 09:10 AM
As I've said before, the planned MMORPG should alleviate the pain. And it's Multiverse who's planning to produce it; they do good work (Star Wars Galaxies, Eve Online...).

That does not sound very reassuring to me. SWG, from what I've heard, is a prime example of how not to make a MMORPG, and Eve got really boring for me when the novelty of pretty graphics worn away. What's worse, I feat that Firefly MMO will just be Eve with different ships, while it's completely not what is the show about - it's about people, not space travel.

ray53208
2007-01-23, 04:28 PM
i just converted another friend to the browncoats. he resisted for years but finally borrowed the dvds and last night he called and apologised for not understanding.

JuanCudz
2007-06-07, 09:29 AM

"Sorry we're all out."

*cries*

No, *CHEERS!!!*
You can't stop the signal FOX!

dish
2007-06-11, 02:15 PM
I finally got the chance to watch Serenity last Friday night. And I was happy.

I live and work in China. I've been hearing the internet buzz about Firefly/Serenity for quite some time now, but had decided not to spend three days attempting to download it from beyond the firewall. Instead I was hoping to beg/borrow/steal a copy next time I'm home in the UK.

Due to my job I have to spend about 6-8 days a month working in Hangzhou, and they put us up in a 5-star hotel (one of the very few perks) which has cable TV. At 11.30pm I was just about to turn it off and go to sleep when I surfed past HBO and saw the opening credits start to roll. Two thoughts, "I've got to work in the morning," and, "I should watch Firefly first," were immediately overpowered by, "Serenity...yay!" So I watched it.

You know how sometimes if you've been hearing people rave about a series/film for ages by the time you actually get round to viewing it so much anticipation has been built up that it's all rather anticlimatic?

Well, Serenity was NOT like that. It exceeded the hype. I was so wired that I couldn't get to sleep till 3am (not fun when you start work at 7.10).

Now I just have to get my hands on Firefly...

Don Beegles
2007-06-11, 03:07 PM
Yes you do. Serenity was amazing, no? Firefly is orders of magnitude better. All of the little backstories, and character quirks and relationships et al that you see in Serenity are expounded on in Firefly. It's brilliant.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-11, 06:00 PM
Though I really do have to say, I wish I'd seen the show before seeing the movie, rather than after, since the movie spoiled so much, and not having already known the characters sort of ruined for me what would have been excellent dramatic moments. If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.:smallfrown:

delguidance
2007-06-11, 07:41 PM
I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, heck I might have already, but I mention it in every firefly thread I see...

check out serenity in 2000 words or less if you enjoyed the movie. It is hilarious.

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php

Argyle
2007-06-14, 03:27 AM
I was especially fond of this part

SERENITY: *skids to a stop, losing many pieces*

FANS: Oh my god, they killed Serenity!

CREW: Oh my god, we're alive, Whedon didn't kill any of us!

FANS SEEING THE MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME: Whew. Wait, why is my friend who already saw this movie cringing and whimpering?

WASH: Whew. I really am a leaf on the wind.

GIANT SPIKE: No, you're a leaf pinned to a chair.

WASH: Gurk.

FANS: AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH! No, he can't really be dead! That's not really a foot-wide spike in his chest! You can't really kill Wash! Waaaaaah!

JOSS WHEDON: *snicker*

CREW: Run like little girls! If Joss killed Wash, nobody's safe!

JAYNE: Well, maybe I am?

ZOE: I'll hold them here.

MAL: Everybody hold them here, I'm going for the transmitter.

INARA: Joss, you bastard! We're up against Reavers and you made me wear nothing but a leather bra and carry a wimpy-ass little crossbow! I bet I'm next on your kill list!

ZOE: Joss, you bastard! You killed my husband! I dare you to kill me too so I can haunt you from the afterlife!

REAVERS: GRAAAAAR!

KAYLEE: Crap, we really are all going to die.

SIMON: My only regret is that I didn't get to jump your bones.

KAYLEE: Really? Well, then I want to live! Joss, if you kill him now I'll stuff a compression coil up your ass sideways!

Funny stuff.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-06-14, 11:24 AM
I picked up the series for 20 bucks this past mother's day while my sister and i were getting something for Mom at the last minute. Not only do I totally love the show (i've seen all the commentaries and each episode at least 2, shindig and the pilot about 4 times and the movie twice) but i've seen the series for sale at a few other places for 50 bucks, so i lucked out in about 3 different ways