PDA

View Full Version : Cleric PrC 3.5

Garian
2009-07-27, 06:43 AM
I am playing your basic Cleric in a new campaign. Surprise, surprise I am planning to take levels in radiant servant of Pelor. I will be able to take a level in it at 7th level. Because of the skill requirement of 9 ranks in knowledge religion.

The problem is taking levels in cleric suck, they gain no farther class abilities after 1st level. The only good thing they are getting is spell casting capability.
So I want to find a PrC, that preferably does not require a feat, and gives me +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class. That I can take levels into before 7th level.

I was thinking maybe Divine Oracle, but I would need to take Skill Focus knowledge religion, something I don't really want to do.

All 3.5 books can be used.
Thanks.

Gorbash
2009-07-27, 07:04 AM
So I want to find a PrC, that preferably does not require a feat, and gives me +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class.

And a partridge in a pear tree?

Jack_Simth
2009-07-27, 07:10 AM
Church Inquisitor, Complete Divine, fits your critera. Trade... umm... a few skill points and a good Fort save for quite a few boosts. It's not really a balanced PrC, but it fits your criteria.

Gorbash
2009-07-27, 07:17 AM
No, it doesn't. Church Inquisitor must be LG or LN, Radiant Servant must be NG.

Jack_Simth
2009-07-27, 07:22 AM
No, it doesn't. Church Inquisitor must be LG or LN, Radiant Servant must be NG.
Ah. Well, it meets his listed requirements, anyway, if not his specific build plan.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-27, 07:26 AM
What other feats do you have. I'll have a look about.

Eldariel
2009-07-27, 08:05 AM
You can go to Frog God's Fane to get Skill Focus: Knowledge for free (magical location in Complete Scoundrel). Given the Int, you can also take few levels of Loremaster later and recoup the lost feat (you can enter with the Skill Focus you took for Divine Oracle).

Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web Enhancement] is incredible, but requires some arcane casting ability (Magical Training-feat works), and you'll want to take it all the way so it's a poor entry for Radiant Servant. The other options given here are pretty good tho.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-27, 08:35 AM
Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web Enchantment] Now, you know that's just not right. Cut it out, please.

Eldariel
2009-07-27, 08:42 AM
Now, you know that's just not right. Cut it out, please.

Already cut.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-27, 08:52 AM
Already cut.
Thank you. I, and the spirit of Sean K. Reynolds (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/terminology.html), appreciate it.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-27, 06:12 PM
The problem is taking levels in cleric suck, they gain no farther class abilities after 1st level. The only good thing they are getting is spell casting capability.
Untrue. Your ability to turn undead is based on your Cleric level. And my understanding is that, while turning undead is usually a sucky option that can be safely disregarded, Radiant Servants of Pelor have the potential to truly excel at it. So you might be better off not compromising this class feature.

Taking levels in Cleric doesn't suck, because Cleric is an excellent class. Advancing its spellcasting is not insufficient to have a useful character. Cleric spells are awesome. Really, it's OK to play a spellcaster who doesn't have as many levels as possible in spellcasting-advancing PrCs.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-27, 07:16 PM
Also note multiclass feats specific to Cleric levels (and not Cleric spellcasting boosting PrC levels), such as Sacred Outlaw (Rogue and Cleric levels stack for sneak attack and undead turning).

Paul H
2009-07-27, 07:40 PM
Hi

Not really sure why you need to multiclass before RSoP.

Cleric gets Turn Undead. RSoP gets Turn Undead. Diluting before the PrC diminishes one of the best Undead Destruction classes going.

Got a Dwarf Cleric 6/RSoP 10 playing the Tank in a campaign. Hasn't got the Fighter feats, but DMM/Persist & spells make up for it. Is this what you had in mind? If so, other PrC's might have worse BAB than true Cleric.

With limited access allowed in another campign, I've got CG Dwarf Cleric [Llir] 6/Divine oracle 3. Going Clr 6/DO 4/Contemplative for the rest. Starts with Magic & Travel Domains. Then gained Oracle, looking at Good & Knowledge with Contemplative PrC.

In your situation I'd stick with Cleric & RSoP, with a possible dip into Contemplative for the extra Domain & Divine Health.

Cheers
Paul H