PDA

View Full Version : Making golem and proper monsters

Adamaro
2009-07-27, 06:49 AM
I am making a campaign and well, I would like some advice on some things ...

Campaign begins in a wizard-rich environment (almost all commoners are lvl 1 wiz., there are quite a few lvl 1-4 wizs in the city, but anything above lvl 6 is a matter of local mages guild)

With all the magic going around, city "police" needs to be of a bit »stranger« type.

So, I was thinking to homebrew a golem, looking like "striders" from Half life 2. http://img.presence-pc.com/news/h/a/half-life_2_strider.jpg They would (carefully) "stride" over markets, houses and streets and if any mischief in form of unsanctioned use of magic or other criminal acts (unsanctioned being casting grease on markets just to see people slip, burning down houses for fun, etc), would take place, strider would extend a tentacle and draw its victim next to its main body, which has on it cast antimagic field. Transgressor would then be slowly transported to city jail.
So, it is a POLICE! force, not a terminator squad, intended to work in magic-rich environment. If anyone has time, energy or good will, I would like to ask for some proper stats to be made for such a creature.

Second thing is - before the start of my campaign, I am making three "delves". First delve will include lvl 2 party (all wizards), second lvl 4 party, third lvl 6 party. These "delves" will be presented as regular "training" magic pupils receive, before being made into "real" mages. What kind of creatures should their instructors in these mock-up battles, make them face? There will be three "delves" with 9 encounters altogether (three each). What kind of creatures would be best for young aspiring mages to face in these trials? (I was thinking ECL -1, ECL, ECL +1 difficulty, but that is not obligatory)

tnx

Melamoto
2009-07-28, 04:40 AM
Golem is definitely the right choice, but I see no reason why you couldn't simply use Iron Golems with the appearance of Striders. It would probably make things quite a bit easier.

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-28, 05:02 AM
Golem is definitely the right choice, but I see no reason why you couldn't simply use Iron Golems with the appearance of Striders. It would probably make things quite a bit easier.

Second this. Reflavoring is far easier than rebuilding.
Iron Golem who looks like Strider = Ez.
Building a new Golem which wont break your game or somehow get abused by the PC's = Not so Ez.

But. If I were to take a shot at it.
Id say..
10d10+50 HP
Str: 26 + 2 / ( PC lv / 2)
Dex: 14 + 2 / ( PC lv / 2)
Con / Int - N/A (Construct)
Wis: 10
Cha: 4

Saves: 6/6/6
They have to be somewhat dexterous since they are being nimble between the civilian area's. Strong as they are Golems and their main issue of attack is grapples. These two main traits could scale with the PC's lv so that the Police are always a threat.

Feats: Improved Grapple / Grab. Constrict. Swallow Whole
Maybe a Power attack? Awesome Blow?

Attack +12 Tendril 2d6+Grapple / Constrict
Full attack: +12 Tendril x2. 1 Bite? 1d8 + Free grapple / Snatch?

You can flavor the Swallow whole as the Strider caging the felon.

This is all my brain can throw up at 6AM w. no sleep.

Sorry, best of luck

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-28, 06:18 AM
I'd probably use the Effigy Creature template from Complete Arcane. An Effigy (Dread) Harpoon Spider (MM3) would probably be perfect, since a construct version would retain its harpooning ability. It's already on long legs and can even climb over buildings and city walls, and they're much cheaper than other types of constructs. Make sure you include the Improved Effigy bonuses that an Effigy Master can grant. They would only be lacking a natural antimagic effect, but it should be easy enough to equip them with a custom magic item that does it.

Thurbane
2009-07-28, 06:53 AM
So, I was thinking to homebrew a golem, looking like "striders" from Half life 2. http://img.presence-pc.com/news/h/a/half-life_2_strider.jpg
http://www.futureshipwreck.com/pics/wotw1.jpg