PDA

View Full Version : a healthy filling drink.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 11:55 AM
okay. I go to a D&D game once a week and another one twice a month. during the time I play I always get hungry. however I want to stop eating fast-food. I think we all know how unhealthy it is.

what I want is some drink that's filling, more healthy for you than fast-food and you could get at most stores. the only conditions I have are A. not too expensive. B. does not require a blender to make and C. does not require a juicer to make.

any thoughts?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-27, 11:56 AM
I suggest water. It's cheap as free and perfectly healthy.

Quincunx
2009-07-27, 12:00 PM
Water falls flat on the "filling" part, though. Can you wriggle your definition a bit to include soup?

Alternately, if you're not the only one who gets peckish, you could try getting your group to bring ingredients and make one large meal for the group. It ends up taking less time than herding everyone to the fast-food joint and back (at least as long as it took me), it certainly costs less, and it should be healthier.

valadil
2009-07-27, 12:07 PM
Milk. Only problem is you have to refrigerate it.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 12:12 PM
preferably not soup and not something that needs a fridge to be tasteful.

the problem with getting a bunch of ingredients is there's no oven, microwave or anything else at my local gaming store.:smallbiggrin: (probably should have mentioned that's where I played)

Burley
2009-07-27, 12:13 PM
I would suggest a lot of things. One of my personal favorites you can get from Trader Joe's, if you have one near you. It's actually called green juice, and it's made from all sorts of fruits... and a bit of seaweed and stuff. I know it sounds gross, but it has a sweet taste and a pleasant texture. It is also very filling. One serving gives you tons of vitamins and minerals, plus keeps me full for a few hours.
But, if you go check out the health food sections, or just the juice aisle in most grocery stores, you'd be surprised what you'll find that seems expensive but isn't.
(By the way, if you do have a Trader Joe's near you, the stuff that sports the Trader Joe's brand name is guaranteed all-natural, and is usually cheaper than Safeway, Giant, FoodLion, Albertson's, Paul's... Whatever is chain grocer you usually would patronize.)

JellyPooga
2009-07-27, 12:13 PM
Banana Milk-Shake made using the old fashioned fork-and-a-pint-glass method of mushing the bananas into a paste.

1)Take 2 bananas
2)Peel 'em and shove 'em inna pint glass
3)Mash 'em up into a mush with a fork
4)Add a spoon of honey
5)Top up with milk and whisk/stir (with fork)
6)???
7)Enjoy!

Not perhaps very transportable when pre-prepared, but there's nothing stopping you taking the "raw" ingredients and making it when you're there and feeling peckish.

edit: oh, and whilst it's better cold, it's still yummy if it's a little warm!

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 12:14 PM
I would suggest a lot of things. One of my personal favorites you can get from Trader Joe's, if you have one near you. It's actually called green juice, and it's made from all sorts of fruits... and a bit of seaweed and stuff. I know it sounds gross, but it has a sweet taste and a pleasant texture. It is also very filling. One serving gives you tons of vitamins and minerals, plus keeps me full for a few hours.
But, if you go check out the health food sections, or just the juice aisle in most grocery stores, you'd be surprised what you'll find that seems expensive but isn't.
(By the way, if you do have a Trader Joe's near you, the stuff that sports the Trader Joe's brand name is guaranteed all-natural, and is usually cheaper than Safeway, Giant, FoodLion, Albertson's, Paul's... Whatever is chain grocer you usually would patronize.)

just for the record the stores i have are Meijer, walmart, Kroger and Target.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 12:15 PM
Banana Milk-Shake made using the old fashioned fork-and-a-pint-glass method of mushing the bananas into a paste.

1)Take 2 bananas
2)Peel 'em and shove 'em inna pint glass
3)Mash 'em up into a mush with a fork
4)Add a spoon of honey
5)Top up with milk and whisk/stir (with fork)
6)???
7)Enjoy!

Not perhaps very transportable when pre-prepared, but there's nothing stopping you taking the "raw" ingredients and making it when you're there and feeling peckish.

unfortunately I think my group would kill me.:smallsigh: apparently they have this rule that if you have food you have to share it with the entire group. that's why I'm getting a drink. nobody will care about that.

however, even if I couldn't take this to my group I might try this some time. thanks for the suggestion.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-27, 12:18 PM
Water falls flat on the "filling" part, though

I find a big glass of water does pleanty to shut up a rumbling stomach for at least a for a bit. A few over the course of 4 hours would be filling enough in my book. Might lead to an extra bathroom break but works well enough for me anyway. It's just not particularly flavorful.

HellfireLover
2009-07-27, 12:23 PM
Chilli chai is my go-to drink for taking the edge off hunger. Something about all those spices and the chilli kick, I think.

JellyPooga
2009-07-27, 12:24 PM
If you want to stave off the hunger without eating, then chewing fennel seeds will do exactly that...it's what the ancient Roman army did and personal experience tells me it works...not an option if you're not overly fond of aniseed though.

An option if you don't want to share what you're eating is taking some raw garlic and chowing down on that...the aura of garlic smell you'll aquire is also a bonus if you feel your personal space is being crowded :smalltongue:

Mr.Moron
2009-07-27, 12:26 PM
An option if you don't want to share what you're eating is taking some raw garlic and chowing down on that...the aura of garlic smell you'll aquire is also a bonus if you feel your personal space is being crowded :smalltongue:

Except some people really love the smell of garlic. I do. Garlic smells great.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 12:30 PM
okay maybe I need to set a few more conditions.

no weird drinks. this means anything that would not constitute a normal drink. so no chili flavored drinks. I thought they only had those as jokes. and I don't really like coffee so that's out too.

no food.

water is not an option. there's nowhere to refill it.

RS14
2009-07-27, 12:34 PM
One could make a case that gruel is a drink. :smalltongue:

How about orange juice or similar?

FoE
2009-07-27, 12:38 PM
THE BLOOD OF AN ORPHAN CHILD?

Alternatively, milk? It staves off my hunger temporarily.

JellyPooga
2009-07-27, 12:39 PM
Except some people really love the smell of garlic. I do. Garlic smells great.

Me too. I love garlic, which is why it was one of the first things I planted when I moved back in at my mums smallholding...just harvested my first crop this fortnight just gone! Can't beat homegrown garlic...mmmm...

Faulty
2009-07-27, 12:39 PM
Chocolate soy milk. Tastes good, it's relatively healthy, and soy is very filling.

thubby
2009-07-27, 12:42 PM
get a thermos. if you can go that far your options get a lot broader.

Miyako
2009-07-27, 12:43 PM
Tsumetai Ocha... cold tea. Depending on how you hear 'cold tea' you might just buy the wrong thing and make yourself more thirsty than you were.

Chocolate milk for Gaming Table Sex.

Various fruit smoothies in bottles, hot water with lemon in it, but not a sports drink. People usually OD on sports drinks.

Faulty
2009-07-27, 12:46 PM
Chocolate milk for Gaming Table Sex.

Wait... what?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 01:10 PM
THE BLOOD OF AN ORPHAN CHILD?

I'm fairly certain that's a protein base.:smalltongue:

oh and the only reason green juice isn't viable is I don't think we live near a trader joes.

oh and I do have something sort of resembling a thermos.

Quincunx
2009-07-27, 01:31 PM
Oh. Right. People game at gaming stores. Sorry for assuming there was a household and a kitchen, was kinda dense of me. The milk and milk-based suggestions are filling and portable.

Corlindale
2009-07-27, 01:36 PM
It would be alot easier/cheaper if you had a blender.

That said, I suppose bottled fruit smoothies can be a decent alternative, though they can often be quite expensive. Smoothies are the only really filling and healthy drinks I can think of.

And if your group has a share-all-food philosophy, you could try to encourage people to bring more fruit and the like to the table. Our group used to be almost swimming in candy because everybody brought tons along (generous people can be bad for one's health), but it seems we have gradually reached a tacid agreement to switch some of it out for various fruit as well. It's also much cheaper than candy, chips and fastfood:smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2009-07-27, 01:37 PM
I can't work out thermos flasks.

If you put in hot soup it comes out hot.

And if you put in cold fruit juice it comes out cold.

But how does it know the difference?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-07-27, 01:41 PM
I'd suggest going with a meal replacement shake of some sort. You can get them at any grocery store, and in bulk at places like Sams Club or Costco. Alternatively, you can also get that kind of thing at GNC, but those tend to be quite pricey, so unless you're willing to spend a good chuck of change, which you seem not to, I don't suggest there.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 02:01 PM
way off topic.

purple gelatinous cube of doom how in the nine hells did you get such a long name? doesn't that go outside forum limits?

Blackjackg
2009-07-27, 02:08 PM
If you're of legal drinking age, I recommend Guinness. It's a meal in a can, and not too heavy on the booze. One or two of those in a gaming session will have you quite full without getting tipsy. It's best served a little colder than room temperature, so keep it in your fridge at home and take it out before gaming. By the time you're getting hungry, it'll be just about right.

Seriously, if you're an adult and gaming someplace where alcohol isn't discouraged, Guinness is the way to go.

Other than that, there are a number of fine blended fruit drinks you can buy (I'm thinking of the ones in the front case at Starbucks, but others are available in grocery stores all over). Head down to your local grocery store and walk down the juice aisle, you'll probably find some room-temperature smoothies.

Or just bring a salad.

skywalker
2009-07-27, 02:14 PM
I can't work out thermos flasks.

If you put in hot soup it comes out hot.

And if you put in cold fruit juice it comes out cold.

But how does it know the difference?

Insulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_insulation) swings both ways...

If you're of legal drinking age, I recommend Guinness. It's a meal in a can, and not too heavy on the booze. One or two of those in a gaming session will have you quite full without getting tipsy. It's best served a little colder than room temperature, so keep it in your fridge at home and take it out before gaming. By the time you're getting hungry, it'll be just about right.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Oh, and a salad would probably qualify as food (which must be shared apparently).

Blackjackg
2009-07-27, 02:28 PM
Oh, and a salad would probably qualify as food (which must be shared apparently).

Sure, but who would ask you to share your salad? They're gamers, most of whom cower at the sight of fresh vegetables. If you're worried, bring half again what you would want to eat, along with a few paper plates and plastic forks, just in case anyone asks for a couple leaves.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-07-27, 02:48 PM
V8. Or Soy Milk. But not both together.

Xallace
2009-07-27, 02:54 PM
Boathouse Farms makes big frickin' smoothies for US$4-5, and are sold at most supermarkets (in my area, at least). I've found the green ones to be most filling (lots of fruit and veggies in that one, kinda different taste, but passable), followed by the banana/strawberry smoothies and "Vitamin C Overload" or whatever they're called. They've also got Chocolate Latte, Berry, Mango Lemonade, and Vanilla Chai Tea (the last two are not particularly filling, but the Vanilla Chai tastes like bottled Christmas).

There are smaller ones for about US$2-3, as well.

13_CBS
2009-07-27, 02:55 PM
Seconding the idea for smoothies (or Jamba Juice). They're tasty, and they're fairly filling since you're eating a good bit of fruit, and you can simply buy them at various chains.

Totally Guy
2009-07-27, 03:05 PM
Insulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_insulation) swings both ways...

Internet is brilliant. There's a whole fresh audience out there that have never heard these tired old jokes.

thubby
2009-07-27, 03:34 PM
v8 fusion can be quite filling and you can find it at most chains.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 05:00 PM
how many santas can fit inside a jamba juice?:smallbiggrin:

oh and no salad. not a fan of the stuff. except fruit salad and I bet at least one person at the game group would want that.

hmm. how big are these smoothies I hear talk of?

Ninja Chocobo
2009-07-27, 05:27 PM
Have you tried...tea?
Load it up in a thermos and BAM.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 05:29 PM
yeah I've tried tea. not a fan.

yes I know. I'm incredibly picky.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-27, 05:39 PM
You wanna try and go with something really thick, that won't get all over everything as a milkshake would... but there isn't a ton of stuff like that...

Have you tried Coffee? Or V8 Splash? There are some really good flavors, and you wanna drink it until you explode... but that's only a glass or two, because its remarkable filling. Fiber or something, maybe?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 05:40 PM
You wanna try and go with something really thick, that won't get all over everything as a milkshake would... have you tried Coffee?

not a big fan but if it'll get me through the game and fill me stomach I'd be more than willing to swallow my taste buds and bring it. maybe some cream/suger and whipped cream will help the taste enough to make it bearable.

I could probably consistently afford V8 splash if I could find a job....... TO CRAIGSLIST!

Mr. Mud
2009-07-27, 05:43 PM
not a big fan but if it'll get me through the game and fill me stomach I'd be more than willing to swallow my taste buds and bring it. maybe some cream/suger and whipped cream will help the taste enough to make it bearable.

Get some Coffee Mate (http://www.coffee-mate.com/)... it makes it nice and flavored :smallbiggrin:, and a lot more bearable if you don't liek ti black... Also, can you drink alcohol?

Anddddd, I edited my above post.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 05:45 PM
Get some Coffee Mate (http://www.coffee-mate.com/)... it makes it nice and flavored :smallbiggrin:, and a lot more bearable if you don't liek ti black... Also, can you drink alcohol?

Anddddd, I edited my above post.

yeah I noticed you edited the post.

XD. I was JUST coming on to say I'm not old enough to drink.

EDIT: hmm three possible jobs. now I just need to pass one of them with my parents.

Milskidasith
2009-07-27, 05:50 PM
Buy some vitamins (chewable), and/or protein powder (if you buy protein powder in bulk, it really isn't expensive) Crush a vitamin and add some protein powder to any drink you could think of, and you basically have a meal in a drink that doesn't taste any worse than normal (if you don't have much liquid, the vitamin might affect the taste, but if you have at least a liter it probably won't).

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 05:51 PM
hmm. the above post ALSO sounds appealing.

Milskidasith
2009-07-27, 06:00 PM
hmm. the above post ALSO sounds appealing.

I wouldn't recommend doing the above with soda, however (it tends to get weird having a fizzy drink with powder in it). Orange juice or milk are my preferred drinks (both of which aren't bad on their own), but feel free to try what you want.

Elfin
2009-07-27, 06:05 PM
Water is a great idea; it's actually pretty filling, and tastes delicious and refreshing.

littlebottom
2009-07-27, 06:23 PM
rubberduckzilla?.....

for those who have no idea what im talking about its...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5A8XTUg0Q

Oasis? relatively cheap, has flavour and more filling than water

EDIT: although there are some good ideas about in the thread... most of them require more effort than popping into a shop on the way and grabbing a couple of bottles...

Llama231
2009-07-27, 07:03 PM
I usual go with a green drink for this sort of thing. Like greenmachine or something.

Xallace
2009-07-27, 08:04 PM
hmm. how big are these smoothies I hear talk of?

The boathouse farms $4-5 are pretty big, I wanna say... a quart? But if you're anything like my roommates (and less like myself) a bottle counts for at least two meals in terms of how filling it is.

Yarram
2009-07-27, 09:00 PM
Have you tried pumpkin soup in a thermace? If you purchase a good thermace, your soup will stay hot all day. It is the greatest thing ever.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 09:09 PM
pumpkin soup. BLECH!

how do you make it?:smallbiggrin:

I was joking. never tried it and doesn't sound too bad.

thorgrim29
2009-07-27, 09:24 PM
Or you could, you know, just tell them to **** off, it's your food, and bring whatever you want, I understand for chips or cookies or whatever, but they have no business eating your sandwich.

Jalor
2009-07-27, 09:29 PM
Or you could, you know, just tell them to **** off, it's your food, and bring whatever you want, I understand for chips or cookies or whatever, but they have no business eating your sandwich.

Yeah, I would go with this.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 09:30 PM
it's a group rule. I have no real say in it and I don't care. I just don't want to have to spend money on them when I barely have any.

telling people to **** off is not a very good way to stay in a group. plus I don't curse.:smallbiggrin:

Jalor
2009-07-27, 09:32 PM
it's a group rule. I have no real say in it and I don't care. I just don't want to have to spend money on them when I barely have any.

If you're part of the group, why don't you have a say in it?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-27, 09:55 PM
If you're part of the group, why don't you have a say in it?

mainly because I don't care whatsoever. it's actually helped me. them having that rule has led me to ask for help in finding something good that will replace horribly bad for you fast food and I see no downside in that. also I respect this group's rules as I would any other group's.

skywalker
2009-07-27, 09:59 PM
Internet is brilliant. There's a whole fresh audience out there that have never heard these tired old jokes.

Ah, I see. It was a "joke." [/Data]

You wanna try and go with something really thick, that won't get all over everything as a milkshake would... but there isn't a ton of stuff like that...

What about a plain old milkshake?