PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding character concept!

Eon
2009-07-27, 12:27 PM
I play with a group of people in roleplaying games and our dnd group just got obliterated. We are playing a futuristic non-star warscampaign and so far my ideas have been a sneaky character but that's been taken, a technological double agent but we are trying to make the rebellion suceed so that was a no. and we have an inventor that the gm says would be too close to my technological man. What should I be?????

Riffington
2009-07-27, 12:30 PM
A space pirate. Because everyone loves space pirates.

Eon
2009-07-27, 12:33 PM
I need to give the gm a character concept. not just a class.

Rhiannon87
2009-07-27, 12:47 PM
You said you've got a rogue and an inventor... what other class roles have already been filled? I'm not familiar with the system, but the idea of the sneaky guy/blaster/tank/healer roles port pretty well to most systems. What party roles aren't filled yet? And if you've got the basics covered... then find a class or an idea that interests you.

Also, a little more information about the scenario you're going into might help flesh out character concepts. The fact that your DM vetoed the double agent really sucks, IMO, 'cause there's possibility for some really fun roleplay there.

Eon
2009-07-27, 12:52 PM
umm the Rhones or whatever run the galaxy but a rebellion started fighting them and we have to help them. We have a roguelike one and an inventor and a data mining robot.

That's about all I know right now...

only1doug
2009-07-27, 02:22 PM
clear roles still available are Healer, Tank & DPS (glass canon)
potential other roles are Pilot.... can't think of anything else

Healer: obviously from the name, doctor, healer whatever, helps other characters recover from injuries.

Tank: Frontline fighter, built to take the punishment but not necessarily good at dishing it out.

DPS (glass canon): inverted tank, Built to dish out a lot of damage but not necessarily all that good at absorbing damage in return.

Pilot: Flyboy, racer, driver, pick a vehicle and be great at controlling it, or generalise and be good with lots of different vehicles. could also have some ability as one of the other roles.

Totally Guy
2009-07-27, 03:02 PM
A lonely artist that nobody understands. Your artistic materials and past successes have been interpreted as offensive by one kind of alien. This has moved you away from your home. You are capable physically but have no experience with violence beyond the red symbolism and emotional content you could capture.

You're an anachronistic noble. Long ago you paid Biofreeze corp. to preserve your body until there was a cure for your wife's cancer. But biofreeze went into liquidation and was bought by a reality TV network, since then you've their property and been made a fool of with inane tasks and petty squabbles for the amusement of the futurefolk. Eventually you were offered your freedom if you screwed over another thawed contestant, you eventually did it when they threw your wife into the bargain. Now you lug your wife's freezer unit around trying to find out about today's technology whilst avoiding the angry reality TV fans of the age that are quite bitter about you screwing over their favourite character.

Or maybe you are a hacker from Zero-G slums. Poor people just sent into space in a capsule all together where slum life could be carried out exactly as normal (minus the gravity) but away from the eyes of the civilised folk. You'd previously been a programmer who had set your creations to malfunction years after you'd finished programming them, so you'd be the only one able to fix them when they went wrong later. In the slums you had all kinds of cheap old gadgetry and computer parts which you made into a bulky cybersuit. When his timed malfunctions started up your past clients had to track you down to fix your old code.

Mando Knight
2009-07-27, 03:05 PM
A space pirate. Because everyone loves space pirates.

Counterexample #1. (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Samus_Aran)

Quietus
2009-07-27, 03:09 PM
I play with a group of people in roleplaying games and our dnd group just got obliterated. We are playing a futuristic non-star warscampaign and so far my ideas have been a sneaky character but that's been taken, a technological double agent but we are trying to make the rebellion suceed so that was a no. and we have an inventor that the gm says would be too close to my technological man. What should I be?????

Toy with the double agent aspect. Not so much a double agent, but a mercenary, willing to take money from both sides - but loyal to his friends. Kind of a Han Solo spin, where he's an utter guttersnipe mercenary willing to take on a job "no questions asked" for a little extra coin, but when push comes to shove, he's on the rebellion's side.

Toliudar
2009-07-27, 03:25 PM
How about a thug!? Every campaign needs someone who enjoys the violence inherent in the rebellion just a little too much for its own sake. Think Jayne from Firefly.