PDA

View Full Version : What equipment to buy for my Ultimate Magus

HamHam
2009-07-27, 02:53 PM
So after getting a Boccob's Blessed Book and a Lesser Rod of Quicken and a +6 Int Circlet I still have almost 90,000 gold to potentially invest in some sweet items. I am currently level 8.

My Shoulder and Feet slots are still open, and thus what I'm thinking of focusing on for the moment. So... War Wizard Cloak, Minor Cloak of Discplacement, or something else entirely?

None of the boots listed in the Magic Item Compendium seem all that great except for the Boots of Teleportation and those are a tad expensive, but possibly worth it. Any super-broken boots that you can think of from other books?

jagadaishio
2009-07-27, 03:03 PM
Check here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0

thegurullamen
2009-07-27, 03:53 PM
So after getting a Boccob's Blessed Book and a Lesser Rod of Quicken and a +6 Int Circlet I still have almost 90,000 gold to potentially invest in some sweet items. I am currently level 8.

Does not compute. Jeez, did you break your freaking DM? Blackmail him? Why are you so rich?

EDIT: Personally, I'd recommend the boots. Splitting your caster progressions means you get that hella-useful spell later than normal. The boots bypass that and, if you get the spell/find better boots, you can always earn some bonus points/karma by gifting them to a party member/beggar. (The beggar thing can end up being really funny if your DM knows what to do with it.)

HamHam
2009-07-27, 07:28 PM
Does not compute. Jeez, did you break your freaking DM? Blackmail him? Why are you so rich?

Yeah I don't know either. The last dungeon alone had a room with 50,000 gp in it along with 5 ioun stones (including the +1 CL one), +5 armor, two mithril shirts, two manuals, a Ring of Wizardry 1, another two dozen magic items not as obviously broken as that but still solid (like a Cloak of Stone), and a staff of power.

Of course, then a CR 11 Earth elemental tried to kill us so...

EDIT: Personally, I'd recommend the boots. Splitting your caster progressions means you get that hella-useful spell later than normal. The boots bypass that and, if you get the spell/find better boots, you can always earn some bonus points/karma by gifting them to a party member/beggar. (The beggar thing can end up being really funny if your DM knows what to do with it.)

The other problem is that using the boots caster level, I couldn't teleport the whole party, which is like 5 or 6 people. So a staff with teleport might be better.

Aron Times
2009-07-27, 09:27 PM
Ring of Wizardry. It doubles the number of spell slots you have at each level. And it works for both of your arcane classes.

thegurullamen
2009-07-27, 10:30 PM
Yeah I don't know either. The last dungeon alone had a room with 50,000 gp in it along with 5 ioun stones (including the +1 CL one), +5 armor, two mithril shirts, two manuals, a Ring of Wizardry 1, another two dozen magic items not as obviously broken as that but still solid (like a Cloak of Stone), and a staff of power.

That sounds like a...

(shifty glances to make sure no one's watching)
(quick glance toward the door)
(leans in close)
(whispers)

Dracolich hoard.

I'd watch your six, as well as your nine, three and magical twelve at all points from there on out.