PDA

View Full Version : Character suggestions needed

Barrak
2009-07-27, 02:55 PM
We are starting a new campaign with the home game and I am struggling with choosing a character concept/class/build to go with. I want something a bit different but not to powerful as I have end up cheesing out more than the other players. I am not afraid of something a bit gimpy for the same of a cool concept. I have a Halfling cleric/monk who is a bit of a wimp but fun to play. Our home game is a bit conservative, so not many monster races will be aloud.

The characters I have played are, cleric, duel wielding fighter, fighter/barb, Psionicist, thief/master thrower, and recently cleric/sacred fist.

There is a good chance that the new campaign will be evil, so that opens the doors a bit.

Any suggestions to look at would be appreciated.

erikun
2009-07-27, 04:27 PM
Any idea what else everyone will be playing, or what kinds of games you play?

Bard who uses Diplomancy, Bluff, and Leadership for minions
Druid refluffed into an Elementalist
Knight or Cavalier riding Animal Companion/Familiar/Intelligent Weapon
Psion Uncarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm)

Rhiannon87
2009-07-27, 04:28 PM
Well... what kind of characters do you like to play, and what kind of characters are the other players likely to pick up? You want to have a semi-balanced party, filling the major roles (rogue/fighter/cleric/wizard) in some way. See what other people are playing; if you like RP stuff, you might want to build a character in collaboration with another party member. I've got a pair of dwarven fighters who took the Thunder Twin feat from FR in my campaign; they're a ton of fun (if incredibly difficult to hit).

From your list of characters that you've played, it seems like you're not committed to one particular type, like a caster or melee fighter. Maybe try something you haven't done before? Or something you have tried but didn't get to play enough?

And when all else fails, start flipping through splat books looking for interesting PrCs, and figure out a character that could go into one you like. My favorite character came about because I saw the Spymaster PrC and went "A spy? That sounds cool".

evil-frosty
2009-07-27, 04:32 PM
If it is going to be an evil campaign i suggest looking thru The Book of Vile Darkness as it as a lot of cool things for evil characters, in my opinion.

Barrak
2009-07-27, 05:31 PM
As of now, the only one other player has choosen a character and that will be a warlock, and since I choose cleric in the last build I dont have to be one if I dont want to.

I dont want to choose something inately powerfull and I tend to tweak things to get there. I want something different, and maybe more challenging to play, but the doors are wide open.

Szilard
2009-07-27, 05:32 PM
Half-Orc Bard.

HamHam
2009-07-27, 05:38 PM
Tome of Battle is fun.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-27, 08:03 PM
I don't see any arcane classes on the list of things you've played... For an arcane class that's thematically suitable for an Evil campaign and not overpowered out of the box (I think), check out the Dread Necromancer in Heroes of Horror.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-27, 09:54 PM
That druid elementalist...
Here's the deal with his character concept. He grew up in a cold region, (think frostburn), and to stay alive turned to the element that gave life. Fire.
Fire was THE weapon of choice to kill enemies on the glacier (most take double damage vs fire), it is the antithesis of cold, and as stated, was theelement that gave life.

Or a pyro-type psion, that'll work too.

Typewriter
2009-07-27, 10:05 PM
I would personally start kind of backwards from most people. If building a character for an evil campaign I would do something like this:

Q.What is the characters goal? Kill, manipulate everyone, obtain wealth, something else?
A. Hmmm.........I pick....someone who sows chaos in governments, trying to turn the people against the government.

Q. How am I going to go about this? Religion, magic, charisma, something else?
A. If I'd just played a cleric I'd steer away from evangelist type things, and probably go for something charismatic, with magic as a bonus.

Q. What classes fit this well?
A. Beguiler, bard, Factotum could probably do it, warlock....

Q. Do any of those classes have any variants or anything I would like to incorporate into my playstyle?
A. Exemplars of Evil has a bard variant called 'Inspire Hatred'. Manipulate people into attacking others. Make the guards look viscious? Have political leaders run down pregnant women? DEAL

Q. When I close my eyes what race do I see manipulating people in this way?
A. Gnome, halfling, tibbit, duskling, fey of some sort. Probably a tibbit if the dm allowed them, or a halfling(variant hopefully) if he didn't.

Bam! Pick something important and work backwards from there. The character will put itself together once you pick a portion of the theme :)

Edit:
In my mind the above character doesn't use perform(MUSIC) but instead perform(speech). His tool is a podium that he carries around and bangs on while making his speech.

Edited again:
Take leadership and be your followers some people who help you sow chaos, or perhaps they saw you as the savior when you showed them the 'plight' they were in by local authorities. Make your cohort a stealth based monk with the feign death ability. He can sneak into peoples houses and feign death only to be discovered by someone later that you lead there accusing him of murder. Or you can frame something up where he 'feigns death' while fighting town guards, and make the guards look overly violent.

So many possibilities....