PDA

View Full Version : Please help a noob...

TheBibliophile
2009-07-27, 03:28 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and tabletop games, so bear with me, okay? I found Order of the Stick a few months back and it hooked me immediately. I was interested in the way the world worked, so I looked into D&D on the Net. It looked really cool but unfortunately nowhere gave me tips for starting up a D&D group. First, if by some amazing chance someone on here lives in St Andrews, Scotland, and is looking to start a group, please PM me. Second, could people with experience at D&D give me some pointers please? Thanks a lot in advance.

Also, I'm trying to start an OOTS thread on the Official Nintendo Magazine forums, so if you go on there, look it up in the Off Topic forum!

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 03:31 PM
I'd check out the Finding Players (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) board for starters.

If you want advice, you're really going to have to be more specific, I'm afraid. The most general advice I can give for tabletopping is the same you can give for any social situation.

1. Don't be a jerk.
2. You typically get as much consideration and entertainment as you give.
3. Don't be too self-conscious.
4. Have fun.

Well, wait, I can give one more piece of advice-

5. Don't be picky.

Rulesets and settings tend to matter less than the group you are doing it with, in my opinion. If you're just trying to find a group, if they seem like good guys but they're playing Vampire: The Subtitling, go for it. The right group can make any game fun and the wrong group can ruin any campaign. Use them to build connections, and find people who want to play what you want to play. You may end up enjoying Vampire: The Subtitling (or whatever else you run into - 3E, 4E, 2E, FATAL, FUDGE, GURPS, Shadowrun) in the long run anyway, should you keep an open mind. I'm picky, but I'm already very well acquainted with several rulesets and am too lazy to learn more.

Random832
2009-07-27, 03:32 PM
Second, could people with experience at D&D give me some pointers please?

0x3A28213A, 0x6339392C, 0x7363682E :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, you're going to have to be more specific than that - there's a lot of things people could give pointers about.

HamHam
2009-07-27, 03:33 PM
Find your local gaming/hobby store.

Or, bug your friends to play with you.

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 03:37 PM
As a warning, if you're a perfectionist, you may not enjoy starting up your own group before you're experienced - because starting a group usually means that you will be DM, in my experience. And I'm a perfectionist, so I hate DMing a system I am not very familiar with - makes me feel as though I am failing my PCs.

RTGoodman
2009-07-27, 03:38 PM
In general, I think the best thing to do when first starting is to have some folks that already play so they can help you learn the rules. Now, I'm not from anywhere CLOSE to you, so I can't suggest specific places, but do you know any hobby or gaming shops in the area? Places where people might go to play or buy stuff for, say, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhammer, or the like? If so, that'd be the best place to start.

I did some digging around online, and the two closest stores I could find are Kingdoms of Adventure (http://www.kingdomofadventure.co.uk/index.php/component/option,com_eventlist/Itemid,54/id,5/view,details/), in Kirkcaldy, and Black Lion Games (http://www.black-lion.co.uk/) in Edinburgh. If you could get to either of those places, I'm sure there'll be tons of folks that would help you get into D&D.

EDIT: There also seems to be a Games Workshop store in Dundee, which is only about 20km away.

EDIT2: And a place called the Nappy Pin in Cupar, but I don't know if they'd have D&D stuff - sounds more like a hobby/craft store. It is listed on the Games Workshop site, though.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-27, 03:40 PM
Buy Witchcraft.

Or, if you want, you can find the .pdf for free on RPGNow.com.

Other games you might want to look into are Runequest, Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition, Exalted, nWoD and All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

...I know I don't sound really useful, but trust me, this is great advice.

Eon
2009-07-27, 03:40 PM
I'd say if there is any gaming convention I'm sure there is plenty there. I play at least game of dnd at each con I've gone to (a total of 2).:smalltongue:

TheBibliophile
2009-07-27, 03:50 PM

But seriously, you're going to have to be more specific than that - there's a lot of things people could give pointers about.

Sorry. I meant pointers on starting a D&D group.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-27, 03:52 PM
In general, I think the best thing to do when first starting is to have some folks that already play so they can help you learn the rules. Now, I'm not from anywhere CLOSE to you, so I can't suggest specific places, but do you know any hobby or gaming shops in the area? Places where people might go to play or buy stuff for, say, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhammer, or the like? If so, that'd be the best place to start.

I did some digging around online, and the two closest stores I could find are Kingdoms of Adventure (http://www.kingdomofadventure.co.uk/index.php/component/option,com_eventlist/Itemid,54/id,5/view,details/), in Kirkcaldy, and Black Lion Games (http://www.black-lion.co.uk/) in Edinburgh. If you could get to either of those places, I'm sure there'll be tons of folks that would help you get into D&D.

EDIT: There also seems to be a Games Workshop store in Dundee, which is only about 20km away.

EDIT2: And a place called the Nappy Pin in Cupar, but I don't know if they'd have D&D stuff - sounds more like a hobby/craft store. It is listed on the Games Workshop site, though.

Wow. You are an awesome and very nice person. Thanks a lot, I'll try and get in contact with them.

Kantur
2009-07-27, 04:00 PM
It's the wrong season for it really, but it might be worth trying the university when the new academic year starts up. Failing St. Andrews itself, I have a friend who's part of Dundee/Abertay University's Role Playing Group.

Unfortunately, most of my knowledge is closer to Stirling and Edinburgh/West Lothian which I'd guess is further than you'd want to travel, but when I next see my Dundee based friend, I'll point him to this thread and hpefully he'll be able to post and help you a bit more.

Edit: Bandil's post's reminded me of two role playing conventions next year - Conpulsion 2010 (Should be around Easter weekend, I think the weekend before) in Edinburgh in one of the university buildings.
And next year the UK Student Nationals are being held in Edinburgh (Despite the name, it's not just students, raises money for charity, etc. Website's non-existant at the moment, but for when it gets updated: http://www.studentnationals2010.org/welcome.html ) That'll be the weekend of the 23rd of April to the 25th (Most of the gaming being done on the Saturday and Sunday) and Herriot-Watt University (Riccarton Campus).
If you (Or anyone else) want(s) more info about Student Nationals, PM me - There's some stuff on my gaming group's forum as a number of us are being recruited to GM there, so it's mostly dates, times and categories of games.

And if there's anything specific you want to ask about D&D, the forum'll be able to answer your questions, and my PM box is available (Though most of my experience is 2nd ed AD&D and 3.5)

Androgeus
2009-07-27, 05:40 PM
I'm actually in St. Andrews university's roleplaying/wargaming society (WARsoc). Seeing as it's summer at the moment and few students are left in the area the society has nothing orginised untill 23rd of September :smallfrown:.

Origomar
2009-07-27, 06:06 PM
Same here, and not too far apart on the timing. This is where i learned to play

http://www.d20srd.org/

At first you will read it and after a couple days you think you'll know the basics, then you'll post something on the forums and it will be completely wrong, then you will review, have an epiphany and realize how the game actually works, yet you will still be iffy on details.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-27, 07:19 PM
Same here, and not too far apart on the timing. This is where i learned to play

http://www.d20srd.org/

At first you will read it and after a couple days you think you'll know the basics, then you'll post something on the forums and it will be completely wrong, then you will review, have an epiphany and realize how the game actually works, yet you will still be iffy on details.

As long as you're looking to play 3.5, I have to second this.

I read this for a month or so before even getting the books, and although I'm still shaky on a lot of rules, I'm doing alot better than I would be if I had just gotten the books.

Aron Times
2009-07-27, 09:32 PM

I see what you did there.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 06:56 AM
I'm actually in St. Andrews university's roleplaying/wargaming society (WARsoc). Seeing as it's summer at the moment and few students are left in the area the society has nothing orginised untill 23rd of September :smallfrown:.

What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what tabletop games are like please?:smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-28, 08:03 AM

LOL

Seriously, there just isn't enough computer programming-related comedy in the world. :smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 08:15 AM
LOL

Seriously, there just isn't enough computer programming-related comedy in the world. :smallamused:

XKCD (http://xkcd.com/). There you go.

Now you just need to search through the 615 comics for ~50 that are computer related.

What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what t
abletop games are like please?:smalltongue:

If they don't, they're meanies.

Or have a good reason. Maybe they're perverts who don't want to ruin your innocence.(Kidding!)

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 08:26 AM
You seem to be a pretty well-read kid. If I was in Scotland, I'd let you play.

One rule though: you gotta let me pretend to be Scrooge McDuck every so often.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 10:09 AM
You seem to be a pretty well-read kid. If I was in Scotland, I'd let you play.

One rule though: you gotta let me pretend to be Scrooge McDuck every so often.

How do you figure?

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 10:11 AM
How do you figure?

Your name (meaning you probably know a bit of your Indo-European language roots). :elan: Your signature. You're fairly polite. Interested. U doan tlk leik this.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 10:17 AM
Why thank you. I'll be sure to do you a kindness one day.

bibliophile
2009-07-28, 10:36 AM
Your name (meaning you probably know a bit of your Indo-European language roots). :elan: Your signature. You're fairly polite. Interested. U doan tlk leik this.

Not to nitpick, but bibliophile actually comes from Greek, not Indo-European roots. :smallsmile:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 10:40 AM
Not to nitpick, but bibliophile actually comes from Greek, not Indo-European roots. :smallsmile:

Indo-European includes Greek. >.>

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 11:24 AM

Hmm... this poster is pedantic and has almost the same name as me... Awright, who cloned me?:smallbiggrin:

bibliophile
2009-07-28, 11:27 AM
I was here first. Hmmmm. Perhaps you're the clone of me... :smalleek:

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 11:30 AM
You're probably right. Oh well, at least you can't control me with your mind, right? ...Right?

I am bibliophile and I command you to serve me!

I will obey...

Arkhemedes
2009-07-28, 11:40 AM
Wooh Go young children of the age of 12 too bad i live in iowa i would totaly game with you :smallbiggrin: except i know the game vwery well and i could teach you i learned from my dad he played back then with 1stE so i learned from him and we gaming with friends and family also from posts above go to some gaming shops and ask around you never know who might be willing to show you the basics :wink:

Androgeus
2009-07-28, 02:14 PM
What time is it usually? Also, when you start back up, would you be really nice and let a poor boy of 12 with no experience of D&D join your group just to see what tabletop games are like please?:smalltongue:

We meet on wednessdays, 8pm-12/1am. I think there might be a bit of a problem as we meet above the Union and with that being a bar and you being 12 :smalleek:

only1doug
2009-07-28, 02:24 PM
We meet on wednessdays, 8pm-12/1am. I think there might be a bit of a problem as we meet above the Union and with that being a bar and you being 12 :smalleek:

I'd guess the session would probably be a little too late for his parents comfort as well....

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 02:27 PM

I see no problem, he just needs a fake I.D. :smallcool:

Unfunny jokes aside, you could hold one meeting away from the normal place for him, to see if he'd be *mega awesome voice* WORTHY OF JOINING THE GROUP and then decide what to do from there?

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 02:32 PM
If the group meets over a bar, the tone of conversation might not be a great idea for a 12 year old. >.>

only1doug
2009-07-28, 02:48 PM
If the group meets over a bar, the tone of conversation might not be a great idea for a 12 year old. >.>

If the group are university students, the tone of conversation might not be a great idea for a 12 year old. :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 02:51 PM
If the group are university students, the tone of conversation might not be a great idea for a 12 year old. :smalltongue:

Depending on what the parents think, D&D in general might not be a great idea for a 12 year old. :smalltongue:
I mean violence, not ZOMG THE OCCULT!!!

Random832
2009-07-28, 03:15 PM
Maybe this should all be going through the parents in any case.

Maybe the parents would be interested in joining the game themselves

TheBibliophile
2009-07-28, 03:27 PM

Life hates me! My single most favourite current activity (Taekwondo) starts at 7:30 and ends at 9:30!

KoA_Dave
2009-07-28, 05:19 PM
the two closest stores I could find are Kingdoms of Adventure (http://www.kingdomofadventure.co.uk/index.php/component/option,com_eventlist/Itemid,54/id,5/view,details/), in Kirkcaldy, and Black Lion Games (http://www.black-lion.co.uk/) in Edinburgh. If you could get to either of those places, I'm sure there'll be tons of folks that would help you get into D&D.

Hi there. I'm the owner of Kingdom Of Adventure and learned of this thread thanks to the wonders of website stats.
If you're looking to try out roleplaying games then please do come down to the shop. We have RPGs running on Sundays during the days (12-6) and on Monday nights (6-10). We're trying to grow the RPG player base in the area and focussing on new players and ex-players who gave up after not having anyone to play with.
The shop can comfortably handle up to 6 RPGs going on at once (2 downstairs and 4 in the event room upstairs) and we're averaging 2 or 3 games per session. We could likely handle more than 6 but it'd be a bit of a squeeze upstairs. I'm currently running a D&D 4th Edition game on Monday nights which is aimed at people who are new to RPGs so that might be the best option if you can make it along.

Feel free to ask any questions either here, via email or give the shop a call (although not right now as I'm actually at home!). We're open from 10am - 6pm most days with Mon, Wed & Fri being open til 10pm.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 05:24 PM
Oh, wow. Wonders of website stats indeed, that's pretty awesome.

Lorn
2009-07-28, 05:29 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and tabletop games, so bear with me, okay? I found Order of the Stick a few months back and it hooked me immediately. I was interested in the way the world worked, so I looked into D&D on the Net. It looked really cool but unfortunately nowhere gave me tips for starting up a D&D group. First, if by some amazing chance someone on here lives in St Andrews, Scotland
Interesting. I happen to know at least one person up there who plays (or has been known to play, or at least has some idea about playing) D&D; in fact, he hit me in the face with a shield by accident the other day. However, all I know is he goes to uni up there, not sure if he lives there...

My advice would be to see if there's a uni group if you're around that age.

KoA_Dave
2009-07-29, 05:33 AM
St Andrews WarSoc have a forum - http://www.thesinner.net/mb/viewforum.php?f=34

To be honest it's not used that much during the summer time. They also have a Convention in early March called SABRE. It's normally 2 weeks before Conpulsion (http://www.conpulsion.org/) in Edinburgh and after Conflagration (http://www.conflagration.org.uk/) in Glasgow.

If I've read the posts correctly you're 12 years old which would exclude you from going to the St Andrews gaming society as it's a licensed premises and they cannot allow under18s due to their licensing policy. I asked about it ahead of the convention this year as I was trying to get some under18s in for the gaming that was on but it was made very clear that they cannot permit under18s unless they are a registered University student.

I think Madras College in St Andrews used to have a gaming group but no idea if that still exists. Waterstones in St Andrews did sell some of the 4th Edition D&D rulebooks when they first came out so the staff there might know if there are any non-student groups also.

You're more than welcome to come down to the shop and check us out. There are some photos on the website to give you an idea of what it's like.

Cheers,

Dave

TheBibliophile
2009-07-29, 05:41 AM
Hi there. I'm the owner of Kingdom Of Adventure and learned of this thread thanks to the wonders of website stats.
If you're looking to try out roleplaying games then please do come down to the shop. We have RPGs running on Sundays during the days (12-6) and on Monday nights (6-10). We're trying to grow the RPG player base in the area and focussing on new players and ex-players who gave up after not having anyone to play with.
The shop can comfortably handle up to 6 RPGs going on at once (2 downstairs and 4 in the event room upstairs) and we're averaging 2 or 3 games per session. We could likely handle more than 6 but it'd be a bit of a squeeze upstairs. I'm currently running a D&D 4th Edition game on Monday nights which is aimed at people who are new to RPGs so that might be the best option if you can make it along.

Feel free to ask any questions either here, via email or give the shop a call (although not right now as I'm actually at home!). We're open from 10am - 6pm most days with Mon, Wed & Fri being open til 10pm.

I retract my previous statement and replace it with a new one: Life loves me, and the feeling is mutual! I'll see if I can pester my parents to take me along next week. See you then! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2009-07-29, 12:38 PM
I retract my previous statement and replace it with a new one: Life loves me, and the feeling is mutual! I'll see if I can pester my parents to take me along next week. See you then! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Have fun playing, I hope you enjoy it.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-29, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Doug (can I call you that?).

I'm really impressed at how nice people are on this forum. The other forum I go on is much less polite.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 12:58 PM

I'm really impressed at how nice people are on this forum. The other forum I go on is much less polite.

That's something we here pride ourselves on. I guess we enjoy being helpful.

I wonder what's wrong with us. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I noticed you just joined this month, I hope you stay around longer, we're always looking for more good people to join us. Assimilate.

KoA_Dave
2009-07-29, 12:59 PM
The other forum I go on is much less polite.

Dare I ask which forum that is?

TheBibliophile
2009-07-29, 01:05 PM
It's the forum for the Official Nintendo Magazine. Click here if I haven't put you off and you like videogames. (http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/index.php?sid=6b0f728c67d6654e59746488100aa27f)

only1doug
2009-08-28, 10:59 AM

sure you can.

Can we ask for your impressions of how the games went (and how the games store worked for you)?

It's been about a month so you can give us some feedback (which might help us make our games better for newbies).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 11:09 AM
It's the forum for the Official Nintendo Magazine. Click here if I haven't put you off and you like videogames. (http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/index.php?sid=6b0f728c67d6654e59746488100aa27f)

Why? Just... why?

TheBibliophile
2009-08-31, 08:25 AM
Why? Just... why?

I don't get it.

Doug: I couldn't come. Kirkcaldy was further away than I thought and my mum refused to take me. :smallsigh::smallfrown: