PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beguiler Gear

Thurbane
2009-07-27, 04:47 PM
A strange thing happened at last night's game - during our shopping spree in the city of Greyhawk, the Beguiler in our group actually couldn't find anything worth spending his 10,000 gp on. In the end, he ended up buying only 1 Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend.

We are allowed items from the DMG and MIC - the only thing the DM has disallowed in the magic item sets in the MIC. He is a 10th level Beguiler, and has a magic Mithril Shirt, 2 rings (Fire Resistance plus a custom one from the module), Boots of Elvenkind, Rapier, Bow, Gloves of Dexterity and Headband of Intellect. His Intelligence is already very high.

Any items that you would suggest? His UMD is OK, but not great, if that makes a difference.

Riffington
2009-07-27, 04:52 PM
Decanter of Endless Water.
:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-07-27, 04:55 PM
Eternal wands are what I'd go with. Have him pick up one for spells that he doesn't use all the time, but that could be occasionally helpful. An eternal wand of identify, for instance, isn't in the MIC, but would only cost 920gp, if I've done my math correctly, and would let him identify two items per day without having to pay the 100gp or use a spell or scroll or whatever. And remember, eternal wands work for ANY arcane caster; you don't even have to have the spell on your spell list.

Also, for things he'd use more than twice a day but doesn't want to waste a slot on (shield, mage armor, etc.), normal wands are EASY to UMD - it's only a flat DC 20, and there's no chance of magical mishap. Knock, for instance, could be a good one, and it might even be on his list (I don't have PHB2 on me), meaning he doesn't even need to UMD it.

Toliudar
2009-07-27, 05:06 PM
I'm assuming he's already got an item to increase his int as much as possible. Possibly Cha and Con as well?

A few possible MIC options:

Bracers of Arcane Freedom - for casting more subtly.
Robe of Mysterious Conjuration - hilarious to mix in a few real monsters with your illusions. Just as someone has you pegged, you throw a pair of real critters at them. Plus, it gives them something to contribute when only the real thing will do.
Mask of silent trickery - goes with the Bracers
Third Eye concentrate - never fail another concentration check again!
Boots of levitation - for when the illusions go terribly, therribly wrong
Periapt of the Sullen Sea is good well beyond nautical campaigns. Note that it's not "water breathing" for 12 hours, but "holding your breath" for twelve hours. Airless, extraplanar, poison-gas-filled environments? No problem. And Freedom of Movement is definitely something beguilers want to have handy, especially in a "I don't have to wave my arms and spout words" form.

Good luck!

Dragonmuncher
2009-07-27, 05:08 PM
Hmm...

Handy Haversack is always... handy.

Cloak of Resistance?

Feather Tokens can come in handy.

Leewei
2009-07-27, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure if Mesmerist's Gloves are MIC. If so, they're lovely to own for the extra target on your hesitate spell twice a day.

Cursed items can be a lot of fun. Imagine disguising yourself as an ogre guard captain and commanding your fellows to throw a pouch of "Dust of Appearance" (actually Dust of Sneezing and Choking) in a room that you just cast ghost sound into.

Myrmex
2009-07-27, 11:54 PM
Utility scrolls are always useful, esp. of he's the only arcane caster in the group. An eternal wand of shrink person is AWESOME, as it gives you +5 to hide, which stacks with all other sources (except other sizing effects).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-28, 12:13 AM
Anything from the Raiment of the Four set in MIC would be good to have. A Circlet of Rapid Casting will be amazing once he can afford it.

Kellus
2009-07-28, 12:20 AM
Tree feather token. Solves any situation, and nobody ever sees it coming.

Saph
2009-07-28, 12:20 AM
We are allowed items from the DMG and MIC - the only thing the DM has disallowed in the magic item sets in the MIC.

Raiment of the Four / Periapt of the Sullen Sea are magic item sets.

- Saph

Thurbane
2009-07-28, 03:49 AM
Indeed - the Raiment of the Four was one of the first things he looked at, but the DM has disallowed sets for the time being.

Good call on the other items, particularly Mesmerist's Gloves and Eternal Wands.

oxinabox
2009-07-28, 06:24 AM
umm.
my first instinct was 10,000 gp of block onyx gems, but he's a beguiler and i don't think they can use thoe for anything.
you all see where i'm going with that.
It'ld help if we knew the lvl.

Stockpile it, then get Armour of invunerability. (it's a +5 enchantment, roughly 30,000. but gives you DR5/magic. It's what i bought when i couldnt think of anything)

you're 2,000gp short of a clay golem manual.

nysisobli
2009-07-28, 08:18 AM
it says hes tenth level

AslanCross
2009-07-28, 08:21 AM
Get a melee weapon but never use it. Instead use the wand hidden inside its wand chamber. (See Dungeonscape for the wand chamber)

Wand of Shocking Gasp + wand chamber rapier = Tazer rapier. :D

#Raptor
2009-07-28, 08:54 AM
Stockpile it, then get Armour of invunerability. (it's a +5 enchantment, roughly 30,000. but gives you DR5/magic. It's what i bought when i couldnt think of anything)By the time he can afford a +5 armor, DR5/Magic will have become completely useless as at that level next to all enemys will be carrying magic weapons... and even if they don't, its still only DR 5.

Thurbane
2009-07-28, 04:39 PM
Items to improve AC or give DR aren't that much use - it's been a long time since this character got hit by a weapon, between Greater Mirror Image and his other spells...

lsfreak
2009-07-28, 04:48 PM
See if he can change the headband of intellect into a circlet of rapid casting and intellect (which he can't yet afford) by "transferring" the magic (since by the rules in the back of MIC I believe you must start with the circlet and then add the intellect onto it; instead, buy the circlet and pay a bit to have the magic transferred). Circlet of mages is good as well, especially for a spontaneous caster (hell of a lot cheaper than their version of pearls of power).

Jalor
2009-07-28, 05:02 PM
Quall's Feather Token: Tree. What situation can't be helped by a big tree?