PDA

View Full Version : The Executioner [PEACH]

imp_fireball
2009-07-27, 05:27 PM
Executioner

http://black-chapter.com/rankandfile/dark/images/Frank_frazetta_executioner_WEB.gif

Humans get arrested. Dogs get put down.
- Rorschach, Watchmen

BECOMING AN EXECUTIONER
An Executioner has a lax code of moral ethics, carrying out the dirty work of what are usually either higher figures, or his own 'ends justify the means' ideology. Everyone has the right to die under some laws, but the method of having it so done is subject to interpretation.

Executioners that travel are sought after merely for their style of combat. They crusade not to bring justice, but to end disturbances to the system, coldly, quickly and efficiently; often beyond reach of the law.

The Executioner
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feats: Must have Power Attack and Monkey Grip.
Proficiencies: Must be proficient with at least one martial two handed melee weapon
BAB: +4
Skills: Knowledge (Martial Lore) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Local) 4 ranks
Alignment: Any Non-good

Class Skills
The Executioner's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (con), Intimidate (cha), Spot (wis), Heal (wis), Climb (Str), Listen (wis), Sense Motive (wis), Survival (wis), Disguise (cha), and Sleight of Hand (dex)

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Executioner's Stare

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3| Follow Through, Observe

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3| Nothing out of the Ordinary

4th|
+4|
+4|
+2|
+4| Butcherize, Executioner's Fulfillment

5th|
+5|
+4|
+2|
+4| Execute, Fervor of the Deed
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: An Executioner gains proficiency with one two handed weapon of their choice - even if that weapon is exotic.

Class Abilities

Executioner's Stare (Ex)

At first level, if an Executioner has line of sight with an opponent, they may act as if blind to every other creature around them besides the chosen opponent as a free action (the Executioner can still see terrain and other obstacles required for moving), and remain so until the ability ends. The opponent may not use any mind compulsion abilities or charisma based skills against the Executioner for as long as the ability remains active. The Executioner can stop using the ability at any time as an at-will free action.

If the opponent breaks line of sight with the executioner, they must make a will save versus the Executioner's intimidate to regain what was prohibited through use of this ability, with failure indicating that the Executioner's Stare still affects them. The will save may be made once free, and then a second time each round as a move action (using 'try again').

Observe (Ex)

At second level, the Executioner can make a knowledge: martial lore check to determine the necessary vital areas upon an opponent required to execute a coup de grace against said opponent as a swift action. The DC is 10 + the target's HD + the target's constitution modifier or 10 + the target's AC, whichever is higher. The Executioner can use this ability as many times as he likes, and it is at will. Coup de grace still requires a target to at least be helpless and vulnerable to damage to their vital areas.

An executioner's observe automatically allows them to bypasses any qualities of a creature and equipment that save against critical confirmation and other precision damage, such as light/heavy fortification and redundant organs.

Follow Through (Ex)

At second level, the Executioner can coup de grace as a readied action against an opponent that is not helpless, provided that they accurately predict the space that the opponent will be in at the end of their turn. Note that the Executioner must also threaten that space.

Although coup de grace becomes a standard action through use of this ability, it still provokes an attack of opportunity even though the Executioner is not correct in his prediction. Coup de grace no longer requires a fortitude save versus death and is merely an auto-confirmed critical strike through use of this ability.

Nothing out of the Ordinary

At third level, the Executioner can conceal any weapon as if it were a dagger in accordance to the dagger description in the 3.5 d20 SRD. He also has a +4 bonus to disguise checks involving cloaks.

Butcherize (Ex)

At fourth level, the Executioner gains the use of two maneuvers (below).

Careful Cuts

After choosing one target and spending a full action to make one attack that provokes attacks of opportunity, the executioner can take 20 on all other attacks against that target for the rest of the encounter.

Until Dead

If the Executioner has already made a coup de grace against a target (this includes follow throughs), they may make attacks as part of their swift and move actions against that target for the rest of the encounter and attacks of opportunity made against the target do not count against their allowed AoOs per round.

If the Executioner loses line of sight with the target between the time that the coup de grace was made and the time that Until Dead was used, the Executioner may not use Until Dead against that target, and must make another coup de grace.

The executioner can use this ability even against targets that are immune to coup de grace.

Practiced Swing

The Executioner can make a coup de grace against a non helpless opponent (sacrificing all attacks for just one attack in a round), however the result of a failed save is that the attack deals double critical confirmation damage (double any weapon's normal critical multiplier that the executioner uses) instead of instant death and the creature is dazed for the rest of the round. A successful save versus the coup simply auto confirms a critical strike.

Executioner's Fulfillment

At fourth level and during the period in which Executioner's Stare is active, the Executioner no longer provokes attacks of opportunity for moving through threatened squares, except from the threatening squares of the opponent that he is using this ability on.

The victim of an executioner's stare must also make a will save (DC 10 + Executioner's Intimidate modifier + Executioner's level) once each round that they are within line of sight of the executioner or be checked - if prone while checked, the opponent is also helpless. Forcing the opponent to save requires no action for the executioner.

Execute

At fifth level, provided that the Executioner has already made a coup de grace in a day, he may choose to take 20 on any other melee attack that he makes against any other target. This single attack also automatically confirms a critical hit. The Executioner can use this ability once each time after he makes a coup de grace in one day.

Ie. Billy, the Fighter 5/Executioner 5 makes two coup de graces in a day, and is confined to using only one Execute later on. He then makes another coup de grace later on in the day, and is granted another use of Execute.

Additionally, a target that is successfully observed is vulnerable to coup de graces, which can be made as normal attacks against the target at no additional penalty.

A coup de grace made in this way automatically critically confirms, with a failed save causing the opponent to be dazed for the rest of the round. The opponent cannot be slain on a failed fortitude save by a coup de grace made in this way unless helpless.

Creatures that are normally invulnerable to this type of additional damage (undead, constructs, etc.) will suffer this additional damage, and a failed fortitude save will cause them to suffer executioner's weapon damage die in strength damage (so, ie., a greatsword would deal 1d12 strength damage to a construct that failed their save against it).

The executioner cannot affect objects in the above way, however.

Fervor of the Deed

At fifth level, the Executioner no longer needs to roll fortitude saves in order to remain conscious or stable when at negative hp. He may remain conscious until at -10 hp. If Executioner's Stare is active, he no longer takes damage from opponents he is blind to when in negative hp, unless line of sight with his target is removed.

He is also immune to being knocked unconscious - if non-lethal damage he suffered were equal to his total hp, any non-lethal damage beyond that point becomes a form of untyped lethal damage that the executioner has 50% resistance to.

If he readies an action to attack an opponent and the action triggers after his turn, he may move up to twice his base speed - ignoring terrain movement penalties, boundaries of elevation equal to half his height or less and even the lack of horizontal two dimensional surfaces (but not vertical surfaces more than half his height apart from one another) - to arrive at a suitable space from which he can reach that opponent with his weapon.

This sort of movement is effectively part of the triggered standard action to attack with the weapon the executioner is holding at the time.

If, upon the trigger of the executioner's readied action, the weapon he is holding cannot reach said opponent with such movement as detailed above, the executioner cannot make such movement.

Fluff!

PLAYING AN EXECUTIONER
Combat: The Executioner is terrifyingly cold and resolute in carrying out his 'deed', or whatever agreement (with the adventuring group, some other NPC, his own conviction, etc.) justifies his actions. Executioners aren't so commited to a fair fight either, usually opting to fight dirty if it serves their purpose or is more 'efficient'.

EXECUTIONERS IN THE WORLD

Not a step closer! I have rights! Y'know, prison seems a lot more comfortable, I just realized!
- Terrified Evil Doer

Daily Life: When not crusading or fulfilling a deed, executioners live a simple life of observation. They are like death itself, slipping into town via disguise one day, and then out the next, the deed finished. A deed that was too questionable for everyone else. But everyone else lacks the morals, let alone bravery, to commit to such a deed.

Organizations: Executioners can belong to any group or organisation. Governments may typically keep them under wraps. The mere concept of hooded men that appear to slide as they walk in the manner of some corporeal wraith-like creature of such trappings doesn't make for good public relations; particularly when the public learns that there is more than one of them.

Wandering Executioners are indistinguishable from the hired sort - both typically act the same: stoic, calculating observers; although a few have been known to lead double lives. Many are somewhat warped in mindset, having their own philosophy 'unhindered' by the civilized thought, but not necessarily insane. Executioners usually work alone.

NPC Reaction

Many people don't recognize the presence of an executioner until they are in combat, considering they may often keep to themselves. Those that know of them are enamored in fear. Tough guys boast about confronting these pasty individuals but when they do, they'll more likely back down or get bisected. Few, truly wise NPCs may recognize the necessity of a monster such as the Executioner - they are of the sort that can be hired to commit to morally questionable deeds so that others don't have to. The sort of work that poses great small scale trouble and more than annoyance, but that paladins would generally say no to upon discovering the deed requires too much evil necessities that truly get rid of.

Executioners ask no questions, they will commit to any deed that involves a big, questionable problem that needs getting rid of, but they aren't your stereotypical mercenary in it for the money. They will pull off hits from time to time, but when too up to their shoulders, may neglect true loyalty to any one organization for it may limit their clientel and reach at solving the more morally reprensible issues.

Races

Any race can be an Executioner, although they are most typically present among 'low' to 'middleground' societies, such as those of humans and the more savage species. Older, more sophisticated societies have Executioners as well but not often in as great abundance as the former. Multicultural and varied societies are also more likely to have Executioners than those that are straight forward and specific in their views - ie. Comparing capitalist cultures to controlling theocracies.

So, criticism?

Kellus
2009-07-27, 05:44 PM
Haven't taken a closer look yet, but the one entry requirement is a little silly. Every class in existence is proficient with simple weapons, which include two-handed things like the quarterstaff or longspear. Why not say one martial two-handed weapon? :smallsmile:

I need to get going, but I'll do a better review later tonight, I swear!

Draken
2009-07-27, 06:25 PM
Alignment doesn't seen to be a prerequisite. Just a guideline. But obviously you want it to be the prerequisite: Any non-good.

Feats and Proficiencies should be separate in the list of prerequisites.

Hit Dice would look better as a d10 I think.

Onwards to class features:

Executioner's Stare is cool. Very "determinator" like.

Observe: 'At DM's discretion' is the lazy homebrewer's lazy fake solution. I recommend the DC to be 10 + the target's HD + the target's constitution modifier or 10 + the target's AC, whichever is higher (both, as written here).

Follow Through is weird. I recommend reworking it... Maybe something such as allowing the executioner to prepare a coup the grace against an adjacent oponents as a standard action and then perform the coup the grace against the same adjacent oponent as a standard action in the following round.

Nothing Out of the Ordinary smells of filler and looks pretty damn silly.

Butcherize: Careful Cuts is awesomely good.
Until Dead, however, is broken by the time it is obtained, then becomes a goodish ability later. Of ocurse, that considering that you ever get to use it. Coup de Graces tend to kill the target.

Executioner's Fulfillment is like Spring Attack upside down. Very good ability.

Fervor of the Deed gives you a free 20 with critical threat after you kill an oponent. Very strong ability. But it needs to be reworded.

This class looks like something Pyramid Head would have.

imp_fireball
2009-07-27, 06:42 PM
Fervor of the Deed gives you a free 20 with critical threat after you kill an oponent. Very strong ability. But it needs to be reworded.

You mean execute, right? I might struggle with rewording it, suggestions?

This class looks like something Pyramid Head would have.

Sounds like a complement if I ever heard one. :smallbiggrin:
----

The class was created with the impression that coup de graces were hard to come by - of course, the PC's allies could always render lots of enemies helpless on purpose.

But even so, burning 5 levels for execute is a bit of an investment with the drawback of what I mentioned above. Some abilities subject to change, of course. Thanks for the criticism so far.

Strawman
2009-07-27, 06:48 PM
I think that a lawful alignment should be required. A chaotic ideological executioner would basically just be a serial killer. That would be more of a personality trait than a developed class. If they have to be of lawful alignment, the backstory of an executioner's current and previous employs would be interesting. It would also make for interesting paladin-executioner conversations and interactions.

The Tygre
2009-07-27, 06:48 PM
Don't forget. Nothing sells Home-brew material like some good artwork.

imp_fireball
2009-07-27, 06:53 PM
I had a picture posted, but I guess it disappeared into the net-void. I'll try to look for it again. :smallsigh:

Follow Through is weird. I recommend reworking it... Maybe something such as allowing the executioner to prepare a coup the grace against an adjacent oponents as a standard action and then perform the coup the grace against the same adjacent oponent as a standard action in the following round.

Maybe it would've been better named, 'Preparatory Strike' or 'Close Line Chop'? It seems clear to me, of course, since I wrote it.

I think that a lawful alignment should be required. A chaotic ideological executioner would basically just be a serial killer. That would be more of a personality trait than a developed class. If they have to be of lawful alignment, the backstory of an executioner's current and previous employs would be interesting. It would also make for interesting paladin-executioner conversations and interactions.

The chaotic thing was for Rorschach type characters, but I'll think about it. Don't forget that something like a sorceror15/executioner5 might not even have a personality anything close to that of an executioner in the description. Maybe they learned to fight like an executioner from mercenaries and don't make it their 'job' to kill at all (they'd prefer to head on epic adventures for wealth or whatever)?

Thrawn183
2009-07-27, 10:17 PM
So what happens when an executioner wields a vorpal weapon? Why not just change that auto 20 ability to treating any slashing, 2 handed weapon as vorpal?

imp_fireball
2009-07-28, 01:49 AM
I don't every book, so what exactly is vorpal?

peacenlove
2009-07-28, 02:04 AM
Here you go
Vorpal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#vorpal)

imp_fireball
2009-07-28, 02:34 PM
I'm not really a fan of death attacks.

There's also fluff issues with vorpal. What if the critical strike wasn't aimed for the head (what if the guy wanted to take home a spleen as a trophy or whatever instead of a head)? Vorpal also leaves the issue of 'only vorpal can sever heads', which is of course, not true (since any critical strike that kills might do something like sever a head).

Really, there's still a difference between vorpal and execute. One kills automatically and the other doesn't. Again, I'm still going to say that I'm not a fan of death attacks and will leave it as is - it's still balanced since the odds of choosing an executioner and the GM rolling a vorpal weapon as treasure are what I would call 'lucky' for the player in question.

imp_fireball
2009-07-28, 07:56 PM
Bump.

Nothing Out of the Ordinary smells of filler and looks pretty damn silly.

Nothin' you can do about that! At least it does something. :smalltongue: