PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Pirate Themed Ranger Powers

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-27, 09:19 PM
I'm playing a Level 5 Half Orc Ranger in an upcoming game, and my backstory's a mix of Flogging Molly songs and general Pirate themed goodness.

What I've noticed is that this leads to a pretty untypical Ranger. The Nature themed element kinda wanes off if I spend all my time on ships and bounty hunting in port cities.

So, I've come up with some ideas for different names for my current powers. For instance, Nimble Strike becomes Scurvy Shot. And Split the Tree turns to Split the Mast.

Problem with this is that I've run outta ideas, so I wanted to put this idea online to see if anyone had any neat ideas, or even if you've done something like this in the past, I'd love to hear about what you've come up with.

The powers I have are:

Nimble Strike (Scurvy Shot)
Twin Strike
Two Fanged Strike
Split the Tree (Split the Mast)
Yield Ground
Thundertusk Boar Strike
Spitting Cobra Stance

The last two deal with animals. Briggs doesn't do animals, hahaha.

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-27, 10:03 PM
The last two deal with animals. Briggs doesn't do animals, hahaha.
I don't know a lick of 4e, so I don't know how well it really fits, but I think a spitting cobra might be comparable to an ink-squirting squid.

Perhaps consider using the word "broadside" in one of your thingies. I'm also expecting someone to suggest something Kraken. Oh, and before anyone else has a chance to say it, "Cutlass Fury," "Rain of Swords," and "Pirate's Wrath." :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 10:11 PM
Oh geez... I'm terrible at this, I always ignore names when I'm using maneuvers and powers.

Twin Strike -
Two Fanged Strike
Yield Ground - Belay the Close
Thundertusk Boar Strike - Love Tap ('nudging' them to their death)
Spitting Cobra Stance - Walk the Plank (where you are the deadly sea and the path towards you is the plank.)

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-27, 10:16 PM
Twin Strike - Crustacious Pincer
Two-Fang Strike - Jaws of the Deep
Yield Ground - Full-Sail Feint
Thundertusk Boar Strike - Ramming Speed Strike
Spitting Cobra Stance - Boarder's Lament

That's all my ideas so far, I'm not happy with the first one, but the rest might just work.

deuxhero
2009-07-27, 10:16 PM
I read the title as "Pirate themed Power Rangers". Such a group woulld make a cool quirky miniboss squad in a naval campaign.

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 10:25 PM
I read the title as "Pirate themed Power Rangers". Such a group woulld make a cool quirky miniboss squad in a naval campaign.

this is why I originally clicked the thread.

Yar! After fifty-score-hunnerd years, I be free! Time to plunder the seven seas!

Arr! It be morphin' time, mateys!
TYRANNOSARRRRRUS!

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-27, 10:45 PM
Twin Strike - Crustacious Pincer
Two-Fang Strike - Jaws of the Deep
Yield Ground - Full-Sail Feint
Thundertusk Boar Strike - Ramming Speed Strike
Spitting Cobra Stance - Boarder's Lament

That's all my ideas so far, I'm not happy with the first one, but the rest might just work.

I LOVE THESE!!! Thanks man! And yeah, Twin Strike is tough. I was thinking Rapid Volley, but that's already a power in MP... :smallfrown:

Make my Kraken grow!!!

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-27, 10:46 PM
Oh, and I use mostly guns. Not so much cutlasses, though I do have them. :D

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-27, 11:13 PM
Oh, and I use mostly guns. Not so much cutlasses, though I do have them. :D
In that case, "Gunslinger."

Yeah, that's it. Something tells me Aura of Denial and The Claudia aren't really applicable to this scenario. Um... Cannonball, Buckshot, and Red-Hot Razors (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/103537)?

Miniboss? That's going straight to final boss material here! The second form practically writes itself!

Kylarra
2009-07-27, 11:16 PM
this is why I originally clicked the thread.

Yar! After fifty-score-hunnerd years, I be free! Time to plunder the seven seas!

TYRANNOSARRRRRUS!Same... :smallredface:

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-27, 11:53 PM
In that case, "Gunslinger."

Yeah, but overall, the Two Blade Style has the better bonus. I can grab Defensive Mobility whenever I want. And Scurvy Shot kinda makes it pointless.

Hahaha, and there darn well should be a Pirate-themed season of Power Rangers.

They've done NINJAS twice now!!!! And it's obvious where I stand on that argument.:smallyuk:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:00 AM
Ninjas are better. I like Pirates, but mostly to laugh at them.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 12:01 AM
Eh, at the risk of falling off topic, I'll resist the urge to flame. Hahaha. I have more control than that.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:02 AM
C'mon.

We're on a D&D board discussing the merits of pirates and ninjas in Power Rangers as it relates to a nautical D&D campaign.

I hope to god there's nothing that can be flamed here. :elan:

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 12:17 AM
Hahaha. Good one Astral.

But I thought Ninjas were supposed to be silent and hidden???

So shut up and go disappear!!!

Joking, joking. Thanks for the help on this thread, though.

Mando Knight
2009-07-28, 12:19 AM
Yeah, but overall, the Two Blade Style has the better bonus. I can grab Defensive Mobility whenever I want. And Scurvy Shot kinda makes it pointless.

Hahaha, and there darn well should be a Pirate-themed season of Power Rangers.

They've done NINJAS twice now!!!! And it's obvious where I stand on that argument.:smallyuk:

Pirate-themed Power Rangers won't come until they produce a Pirate-themed Super Sentai... which is made in Japan. Where Ninjas get a 3000% home field advantage bonus over Pirates. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:19 AM
I thought they were making Power Rangers from original filming content these days?

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 12:20 AM
Heh, yeah, I know it's a lost cause.

I might as well hope for YuGiOh to use the main cast again...

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 12:21 AM
I deem this sig-worthy!

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:23 AM
I am honored. -bows- :smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2009-07-28, 12:26 AM
I thought they were making Power Rangers from original filming content these days?Nope. They're still using designs from the previous year's super sentai.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 12:34 AM
I am honored. -bows- :smallbiggrin:

Enjoy your moment of splendor, ninjar, for tomorrow I'll be putting a bullet in between yer teeth and yer skull...

:smalltongue:

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-28, 02:09 AM
Yeah, but overall, the Two Blade Style has the better bonus.
Uh... I'm guessing from this that there is a "power" in 4e called gunslinger. If that's the case, I wasn't suggesting that you take it, I was just referencing Skies of Arcadia's Gilder's first Special Attack. And if you don't know of Gilder, well, he's essentially the moxiousest pirate this side of the Seven Seas of piratepunk. He should be required reading for everyone.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-28, 03:30 AM
Uh... I'm guessing from this that there is a "power" in 4e called gunslinger. If that's the case, I wasn't suggesting that you take it, I was just referencing Skies of Arcadia's Gilder's first Special Attack. And if you don't know of Gilder, well, he's essentially the moxiousest pirate this side of the Seven Seas of piratepunk. He should be required reading for everyone.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it.

Jack_Banzai
2009-07-28, 02:12 PM
For Twin Strike: Dirksman's Chaser. Or for a primarily gun-themed pirate, Musket's Mate.

For Two-Fanged Strike: Port and Starboard.

FoE
2009-07-28, 03:29 PM

TYRANNOSARRRRRUS!

That was hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Panda-s1
2009-07-28, 04:05 PM

I lol'd.

Thundertusk Boar Strike
Something about narwhals? They have tusks, though they don't really use them for fighting ._.

Drakyn
2009-07-28, 04:12 PM
Try walruses.
"Frosttusk Walrus Strike." Bonus points if you make a huge horrffing, blorting, snorty walrus-roar when you use it.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-29, 06:12 PM
Hahaha! Like I said, I'm not the "Nature-y" Ranger. I like the nautical themes, but I wanna steer clear of anything with an animal reference.

The only one I really liked was Jaws of the Deep. But Port and Starboard might just edge it out....

Jack_Banzai
2009-07-30, 04:17 AM
Hahaha! Like I said, I'm not the "Nature-y" Ranger. I like the nautical themes, but I wanna steer clear of anything with an animal reference.

The only one I really liked was Jaws of the Deep. But Port and Starboard might just edge it out....

May I suggest Jaws of the Deep for Two-Fanged Strike, and Port and Starboard for Twin Strike?

I also liked Jaws of the Deep, you see. :D

JadedDM
2009-07-30, 04:49 AM
"Get me five buccaneers with attitude!"

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-03, 09:21 AM
"Get me five buccaneers with attitude!"

So would Alpha go around saying "Arr, arr, arr!"?

Coidzor
2010-01-08, 03:36 AM
So would Alpha go around saying "Arr, arr, arr!"?

more of an ararararararar! slurred together-like, but, aye.