PDA

View Full Version : Internet! Save me from birthday-related crises!

fetfet
2009-07-27, 09:55 PM
My friend's AFONAL is apporaching, and I bought her a birthday present with what little money i had. I apparently bought her something she already has a ton of. So, I need to find her a birthday present in 2 days, for about $10. Hopefully it's possible.

She likes:

Deathnote: She's obsessed with the manga Deathnote. My other friend just got her a giant "L" plush doll, so I'm not sure if the field has been cleared. I might get her the DVD movie.
Anime: She loves it, so I might buy her some. She like shoujo, and bishonen the last I checked, so if anyone could recommend any, that would be great.
She wrote some art stuff, but she's already got everything she needs. She uses a tablet, so there's nothing I can do there.
Fantasy novels/Humorous essays: I know what she likes there, but can't muster the money for it.

And that's that. Thanks for any help, from whatever source.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 09:58 PM
She have all the Pratchett novels?

8 bucks for new paperback copies. Never can go wrong with Pratchett.

fetfet
2009-07-27, 10:04 PM
The fantasy novels she likes are less Pratchett and more "Twilight". But a lot less "Twilight" too.

I'd say somewhere around Harry Potter.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 10:07 PM
The fantasy novels she likes are less Pratchett and more "Twilight". But a lot less "Twilight" too.

I'd say somewhere around Harry Potter.

Get.

Pratchett.

Everyone should at least try Pratchett.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-27, 10:09 PM
Well, if she hasn't read the Wheel of Time, get her that... It's really, really long, and pretty in depth, so if that's her style, I'd recommend that... Or maybe something by Garth Nix? I dunno the playgrounds view of him... I read him when I was... well... Younger, though.

Or...

Take her on a friend date! Maybe to lunch or to the movies or something? Never, ever, misunderestimate the powers of said friend date.

kpenguin
2009-07-27, 10:09 PM
She likes humorous essays and fantasy novels? Kill two birds with one stone and get a paperback Pratchett.

fetfet
2009-07-27, 10:18 PM
It seems Pratchett is the prevailing opinion.

Any suggestions? I've heard good things of "Equal Rites", "Carpe Jugulum", and "The Night Watch"

I myself have only read those 3.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 10:21 PM
It seems Pratchett is the prevailing opinion.

Any suggestions? I've heard good things of "Equal Rites", "Carpe Jugulum", and "The Night Watch"

I myself have only read those 3.

Night Watch, of those three.

But they're almost all really good. Hogfather's a good starting point, too.

fetfet
2009-07-27, 10:29 PM
I'll lok into picking that up.

On another note, Piers Anthony? Y/N?

Worira
2009-07-27, 10:38 PM
Night Watch is great, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starter. I'd suggest Guards! Guards! or Equal Rites, as both start off a mini-series. The Colour of Magic starts off another, but it's quite disjointed at times.

Douglas
2009-07-27, 11:00 PM
Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. He's only got 5 books published so far (not counting the two kids books), but he's already become my favorite author and each book so far is better than the last.

fetfet
2009-07-27, 11:02 PM
Take her on a friend date! Maybe to lunch or to the movies or something? Never, ever, misunderestimate the powers of said friend date.

I do this often. We spend many hours on the hottest streets.

SadisticFishing
2009-07-27, 11:38 PM
The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett is great, and the start of the whole series. Kind of odd to read, but hilarious and amazing.

A Spell for Chameleon is, to this day, one of my favorite books - Piers Anthony. As more books come out many end up very contrived, but the first few are GREAT.

Rhapsody - Elizabeth Hayden. Also a very good book - although odd. And it starts with a rather... um... heavy? scene. Great series.

randman22222
2009-07-28, 01:11 AM
I recommend Night Watch.

Dracomorph
2009-07-28, 02:24 AM
Dresden Files! Start with Storm Front.

RE: Pratchett; I'd start with Reaper Man. Stands alone well, doesn't require much in the way of setting knowledge.

fetfet
2009-07-28, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'm getting her Equal Rites, because she reminds me of the female leads, and it's one I already own. Despite that, I'm still buying her a new one.

Thanks for all the help!

MethosH
2009-07-28, 02:30 PM
All my suggestions for birthday presents are funny t-shirts!
Everybody LOVES funny t-shirts! :smallbiggrin:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/womens/b3e7/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/womens/a078/

Also... Everybody loves Totoro!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/womens/8a70/

fetfet
2009-07-28, 09:03 PM
I'd do t-shirts, but I have 15 hours to get it, and I don't know her sizes. So Pratchett it is.