PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Copyright

Thamir
2009-07-28, 12:56 AM
I just wanted to know, to what extent one can borrow game mechanics from systems without some sort of OGL. In my case can I lift the lifepaths system from Burning Wheel and use it in a d20 Game I want to publish? If not what adjustments can be made to make it legal?

Debihuman
2009-07-28, 06:42 AM
If the text is open gaming content, then you can use it as long as you properly cite to according to the OGL. If not, see a lawyer about getting permisison from the publisher about using said material.

adanedhel9
2009-07-28, 07:24 AM
Strictly speaking (at least in the US), one cannot hold a copyright on game rules - only on the text that describes them. So if you did a complete rewrite, in theory you'd be fine.

But, I wouldn't try it without a lawyer at your back.

Riffington
2009-07-28, 07:59 AM
I just wanted to know, to what extent one can borrow game mechanics from systems without some sort of OGL. In my case can I lift the lifepaths system from Burning Wheel and use it in a d20 Game I want to publish? If not what adjustments can be made to make it legal?

There are three types of intellectual property you could theoretically be concerned with.

1. patent. A game mechanic would be covered by patent if anything. I can virtually guarantee that they didn't bother to do that.

2. trademark. They could theoretically have trademarked the names of the specific lifepaths. If they did, you can't use those names in your published game. It would be listed in the front of the book if they did.

3. copyright. Copyright covers all written materials even if they didn't specifically register it, so this is the one you are more worried about. Copyright cannot cover a fact or a mechanic - only a method of communicating that fact/mechanic. So if you completely rewrite the explanations (to communicate the same thing without using the same words) you're good.

However, some people are jerks, and sue when they have no good legal case. If they do, even if you are in the right, you lose. Because when it comes to low-profit activities like publishing games, hiring a lawyer constitutes losing.

What I would personally do is to send them a polite email complimenting the system, telling them about your game, and asking if you can use their lifepaths system (and how much you'd have to change, if anything, to make them ok with it). Mention that you'd be giving them credit and plugging them a bit. That way you have an agreement/friendship in advance, and you don't have to worry about the legal system. Because even when you're 100% in the right, being involved in a legal battle still causes unprofitability and unhappiness.

Person_Man
2009-07-28, 10:32 AM
As long as you're not making money off of it, you can republish anything in the OGL, as long as you cite it as such. That's why there are so many websites with verbatim OGL content.

If you are going to make money on it, talk to a lawyer.

Yora
2009-07-28, 10:35 AM
Is burning wheel an OGL d20 product? If it is, you may use the mechanics, as the OGL says it explicitly.
If it is not, things get touchy and the other posters said it well, what to do then.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 10:44 AM
Burning Wheel is a d6 system with its own mechanisms.