PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with a silly build: the kobold sniper

overduegalaxy
2009-07-28, 04:04 AM
We have an exceedingly silly campaign coming up, and in the spirit of it, I've decided to make an appropriately silly build. The concept behind it is a kobold, wielding as big a crossbow as he possibly can, while taking as few penalties to his rolls as possible. Is it unoptimized? Yes. Will it be fun to play? Yes.

His objective will be to pop off shots very slowly, but really make them count when they hit. Obviously, I want a lot of damage, and don't care about ridiculous reload times, so I've started with the great crossbow from RoS. As of right now, I've only managed to pump it up to large size at a -2 to hit, using Strongarms Bracers and Monkey Grip (I know, I know, Monkey Grip sucks).

Not so impressive so far. Sure, my kobold's got a crossbow that's probably bigger than him, and definitely weighs more, but I'm sure I can get at least one size category larger. Making it out of gold (MoF 179), while glitzy, gives me a huge penalty and doesn't actually make it any bigger, just heavier, which is not what I want at all. So that's what this topic's asking about.

As well as pumping up size, I also want the crossbow to be tricked out with all manner of non-magical gadgets. Obvious choices are the crossbow sight from A&EG and the crossbow bayonet from Complete Scoundrel, but what else can I throw on there to make it both exceedingly cluttered and actually quite useful?

Melamoto
2009-07-28, 04:30 AM
I know it's Magical, but you should take a look at some of the Size changing enchants, so that you can carry your Giant crossbow in your pocket and then suddenly turn it into a giant crossbow of death.
Also, there are the 2 highly obvious feats, which are actually called "Able Sniper" and "Crossbow Sniper". The former gives you a +2 bonus on attack rolls against a flat-footed opponent who is more than 30' away, and a +4 bonus on the hiding after sniping roll. The latter gives you half your Dex Modifier as damage with a crossbow you have weapon focus with, and the ability to apply Sneak Attack and Skirmish from 60' away.
There is also Bowslinger (+2 Attack Bonus vs Flat Footed opponents) and Concealed Ambush (Reduces -20 Sniping Hide penalty to -10). And, if you really want to go for it, Penetrating Shot lets you use a single attack to hit all enemies in a 60' line, perfect if you're only going to get 1 attack anyway.

Fishy
2009-07-28, 04:47 AM
There's also the good old Psionic Shot feats- take some extra time to focus before each shot, and things go kablooie.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-28, 04:59 AM
<^_^> depending on just how silly you want to go; another possibility arises:

Who needs a crossbow? Get a donkey, a cart and a ballista >.> take Leadership and bam - you've got your own siege engine sniping team <@_@>;

(That said this is on the far end of silly and might be too much even for the campaign you're in >.>)

AslanCross
2009-07-28, 05:13 AM
Great Crossbow is ideal for this. A Small-sized Great Xbow deals 2d6 damage.

EDIT: I should read more.

ericgrau
2009-07-28, 07:17 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#siegeEngines

Ballista, 3d8 19-20/x2. 1 man crew. Small creatures take a -6 penalty to hit. Takes 2 full rounds to reload. From here I think you just need a level of sorcerer, some tenser's floating disc action and a touch of maniacal laughter.

SoD
2009-07-28, 07:32 AM
May I direct you towards the Archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75248) class?