PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer40k Campaign in the Playground [Teambuilding, Registration over]

Pages : [1] 2

Eldan
2009-07-28, 04:20 AM
So, over in the 40k thread, the idea of our own campaign came up. The idea behind it is, basically, that we would fight battles and then report them here, using Vassal40k, in the end creating a storyline.

At the moment, we're looking for the following: people interested in participating and campaign ideas, also on how to organize this.

Please also give a short notice for this first post, detailing the following information: Your forum name, your vassal name, if it is different, what army you play and what times of day and days of week you are usually available for games (include your timezone, to make sure).

Table sorted by timezones:
{TABLE=head]Name | Vassal Name | Army | Time Available | Timezone
EleventhHour | Eleven | Imperial Guard | | GMT-8
Erloas | Erloas | Eldar | | GMT-7
Baxter190 | Baxter | Space Marines | | GMT-5
Dorizzit | Dorizzit | Eldar | | GMT-5
Timarvay | Timarvay | Orks | 10AM-5PM| GMT-5
Copper8642 | Copper8642| Eldar | 9PM-2AM | GMT-4
Steilos | Steilos | IG | | GMT
Dammer | Dammer | Tau | Weekends and nights | GMT
Byrn | Bryn | Guard (or others) | | GMT
Eldan | Eldan | Eldar | 8PM-12PM and weekends | GMT+1
Narazil | Narazil | Space Marines | | GMT +1
Winterwind | Winterwind | Chaos Space Marines | 8PM-2AM |GMT +1
Penguinizer | Penguinizer | Imperial Guard | 6PM-1AM |GMT +2
Cheesegear | Cheesegear | Inquisition | |GMT +10
Loopy | Loopy | Any | |GMT +10
† Dran †| † Dran †| Black Templars | |GMT +10
Lorn | Lorn | Traitor Guard | | ?
[/TABLE]

Temporary teams, will change:

Team Chaos:

Winterwind, Lorn, Timarvay, Alex Knight

Team Imperium:

Penguinizer, Eleventh Hour, Dran, Narazil, Bryn

Team Eldar

Eldan, Dammer, Dorizzit, Copper

Vassal Engine (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26)
Warhammer 40k module (http://www.mediafire.com/?uxtxjz5hjym)
Map packs (http://www.vassal40k.com/download/map-packs/)

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 04:58 AM
{TABLE=head]This is a table | No it isn't
Yes it is | clearly u dun now what u'r talkin about
n00b! | zomgh4x
fool | im srsly
Get out of my house | Spamspamspam
Tables are neat | IM BACK AND IM NOT THIRETEEEN!!!![/TABLE]

Cheesegear, +10 GMT :smallmad: No definite days since Life hates me. And I'm not sure on what army I'll play either. Does it have to a perma-army? Or can we switch game-to-game (because the latter would be lame). Since I have experience with a boatload of armies, I'll just wait until everyone picks theirs and see what is least common.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 05:00 AM
Yay! Now I only need to find out how to do those vertical slashes on a swiss keyboard. Half our buttons already have three symbols on them, due to mandatory usefullness for four languages... ιΰθ£#φδφ Hooray!

FlyingScanian
2009-07-28, 05:32 AM
I think I'll be able to join in. Still have to download Vassal first, and get it working...

*Checks out the Vassal site*

Er... Stupid question time: what of all this do I need?

Also, anyone have that PM with good isntructions I've heard about?

Eldan
2009-07-28, 05:37 AM
Right.
Go to this site. (http://www.vassal40k.com/)

There are instructions under Download->Modules.

Or easier:
You need the engine here. (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26)
And the 40k module here. (http://www.mediafire.com/?uxtxjz5hjym)

And finally:
Map Pack is also helpful. (http://www.vassal40k.com/download/map-packs/)

Also added to first post.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 06:00 AM
I'd like to join this, too (as soon as I have figured out Vassal, anyway :smallredface:).

Time from 8 PM to 2 AM (GMT+1) on just about any day. Chaos Space Marines.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:03 AM
If you want, send me a PM tonight at around 8PM, we can have a small introductory game, Winterwind.

I still haven't figured out one thing myself: how do you load maps in the new version? I had a game against a colleague two days ago, and we couldn't figure it out. There was an option to load savegames, and maps seem to be savegame files, but loading those had no effect. In the end, we just placed some random terrain.

loopy
2009-07-28, 06:08 AM
I'll play any army required, due to a bit of experience with everything. I'll throw my hat in the ring. :)

Looking forward to RPing with you all and shelling out some Grimdark.

DISCLAIMER: Will need some practice games, as I've only played a max of 10 games since 4th edition came out, my hayday was 3rd edition.

Name: loopy
Army: Any required.

EDIT: Also, I've never played Vassal before. ^-^

EDITEDIT: GMT+10 as well.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:10 AM
Perhaps a list of people willing to give training lectures would be nice. I can give some, but really only in the time I listed.

Dorizzit
2009-07-28, 06:13 AM
Posting interest. Playing as the Eldar. I'll try to download VASSAL within the next 48 hours. I'm in the EDT, and I'm out of school for the summer so I can do pretty much any time with enough warning.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 06:20 AM
If you want, send me a PM tonight at around 8PM, we can have a small introductory game, Winterwind. Gladly. Thanks a lot. :smallsmile:

I should probably add the disclaimer, too, that my experience with WH40k is rather... limited. Though my memory regarding rules is usually pretty good, and I think my understanding of the game should be decent enough.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:25 AM
Posting interest. Playing as the Eldar. I'll try to download VASSAL within the next 48 hours. I'm in the EDT, and I'm out of school for the summer so I can do pretty much any time with enough warning.

Wiki tells me there are EDTs in australia and america, apparently. Which one is the one you are in?

Edit: "North of the Equator"... that would mean america, then.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 06:28 AM
GMT+10 as well.

Neat. I'll know who I'll be playing a lot all the time.

Next, what points are we playing at? Or, since this is a campaign, can we choose as we go, for example, if we play by 40K in 40mins rules (which is actually a lot better than standard 500 point games...Except when versing Imperial Guard...Trust me :smallwink:) we can write up a skirmish report.

...My personal choice is 1500 or 1750.

Or, if we so choose (and have lots of time) we can write up a 3000 point match...Although, that might be best left up to the end. Second, is there a story to this campaign (I offer up my services to collaborate with whoever is writing it...Or I'll write it myself, but I'll need one or two extra ideas)?

Are we establishing 'veteran units' (see the BBB) as in a continuous campaign? Do we have adjudicators somewhere? Will we be asked to present our lists to someone? Better yet, do we even have to have permanent lists? Since it turns out army choice is a fixed choice (as it should be).

EDIT: I'm also maxing and relaxing on Vassal right now. Come play.

Dorizzit
2009-07-28, 06:33 AM
Wiki tells me there are EDTs in australia and america, apparently. Which one is the one you are in?

Edit: "North of the Equator"... that would mean america, then.

Wow, you know, I never actually expected that to be useful.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:33 AM
How about this for a suggestion:

Depending on which armies join up, we try to make two or three sides to this conflict, each side with roughly the same number of players.

When fighting each other, players can agree on any number of points that can be divided by 500, say 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500. The higher they play, the higher the "risk" of the game: the winner furthers the goal of his side more the higher the risk.
Veteran units: haven't looked at those rules in ages, but I like the diea.
Someone writing up a story would also be nice, perhaps someone could also make a short ingame story after each game.

By the way: named generals and officers for each army would really add flavour.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 06:39 AM
Depending on which armies join up, we try to make two or three sides to this conflict, each side with roughly the same number of players.

40K has sides now (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/05/)!?

In any case, I'm not sure how that'll work out. Since if we do it by race, which GW can afford to do in most of their MMTTGs, we can't since it really depends on who wants to play what. And who doubles up on different armies, etc.

Still...If we do it by player, we can end up having some funky team combos. Also, having a good 'team' will probably determine who wins. Depending on who powergames, or who makes Fluff Lists for the campaign...Sorry, I'm poking holes again, aren't I? :smallfrown:

Veteran units: haven't looked at those rules in ages, but I like the diea.

It's fun for a side that keeps on winning. :smallwink: It also gets pretty wonky after a while.

Someone writing up a story would also be nice, perhaps someone could also make a short ingame story after each game.

Oh, sure, I'll be writing a post-game story for after the match for almost every game.

By the way: named generals and officers for each army would really add flavour.

Obviously. :smallwink:

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:40 AM
Another idea, basically a compromise between secret army list and having always the same army:

Everyone posts their five-hundred point army and then several other blocks of 500 points that they can add to the game at larger point values. This way, you wouldn't know which blocks are added, but have an approximate idea what the enemy would have, and the same resources would always be around.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:41 AM
On the point of sides: well, some armies I can really see working together when the circumstances require it:

All the imperial forces, obviously.
Moderate Tau and Moderate Eldar, perhaps.
Orks can be justified temporarily working for whoever. Or against whoever.
Chaos, Necrons and nids are more complicated, obviously. DE too.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 06:43 AM
I like Eldan's suggestions, all of them... apart from, maybe, the one with veteran units. It seems to me as if it would lead to the better/more experienced players getting even more of an edge over the not-yet-as-skilled players than they already have.

I particularly like the one with the 500-point-blocks, as my army lists are already written up that way. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, also, if CSM absolutely don't fit into the campaign's concept, I'll gladly play anything else. Even though I'd prefer to put my own army to a test, I don't want to inconvenience anyone because of my preferences. :smallwink:

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:46 AM
Well, I have 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 point lists for Reοanar, my craftworld, but many of those involve "and that exarch gains more equipment for 50 points, too". I'll see what I can do.

And don't worry about chaos: if we can get, say, three people to play chaos, you can be your own side.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 06:47 AM
I particularly like the one with the 500-point-blocks, as my army lists are already written up that way.

That's the single worst way to write army lists though. :smallconfused:

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:48 AM
It was just a suggestion.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 06:51 AM
It was just a suggestion.

I know. It seems like a good idea to new players, or players who take the same thing every game. But, for Greytooths like myself, my 500/1000/1500 lists look nothing alike. Although, admittedly, my 1500 list looks a lot like my 2000 list. :smallamused:

Still, any idea when we're going to start this up, so I can decide on what army I want to be playing once we get more people.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:54 AM
Well, currently we only have 5 people, with only 2 defined armies... I would like to wait for maybe a few more people.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 06:56 AM
Well, currently we only have 5 people, with only 2 defined armies... I would like to wait for maybe a few more people.

Yeah, I get that. But a deadline would be good.

Dorizzit
2009-07-28, 06:57 AM
I'd be happy to at least help write up a story once I know what armies are involved.

Edit: also, if anyone else wants to play Eldar, I'm equally happy with Tyranids.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 06:59 AM
Well, I really only know Eldar, that being my only codex and all... but we could, of course, make Eldar one side in this conflict.

Dorizzit
2009-07-28, 07:00 AM
I'll leave it up to you. I'm just as happy either way.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:01 AM
You've got 6 people. Come on, it was my idea, I think you could have counted on me joining.

I'm GMT -4. I know we already have an Eldar player, but I think that's what I'll be using too. If there's like, 3 other Eldar who join or something, I'll do Tau. Or Imperial Guard/SM assuming none of them join, because a campaign with no humans would be weird. But I'm 95% sure we can get at least one of those.

Edit: I'm usually available from 9 or 10 until about 2, and I have two random days off of work per week.

Dorizzit
2009-07-28, 07:02 AM
The "Eldar as an entire side" idea is growing more viable as time goes on...

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 07:05 AM
If a third Eldar player should absolutely be required, I'm fine with being that player. Eldar was the other army I had been thinking about playing before I decided to go with Chaos Space Marines, and I do have their codex. I would prefer CSM though.

(if it's of importance, the codizes I possess are: Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Space Marines, Orks, Tyranids, Imperial Guard and Necrons)

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:07 AM
7 codices... wow. I was struggling with buying enough models and paint for my 1500 point army a few years ago. Then I didn't have the opportunity to play.

To be honest, I also collected Skaven at that point. That got expensive and time consuming.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:08 AM
I know I posted like, 4 minutes ago, but I think some of the "sides" things could work.

As said, the Imperium would work with itself.
Tau and Eldar would work together.
I'm of the opinion that DE and CSM would work together (GW said it in one of their pages on Apocalypse on their website too).
Tyranids would be difficult. Maybe a Genestealer cult?
Yeah, Ork mercenaries might fight for other people. Kroot too, for that matter, though they aren't a side, so that'd be... hard.
CSM and Chaos Demon (duh......).

I think the Necrons are just stuck at being alone.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 07:09 AM
If there's like, 3 other Eldar who join or something, I'll do Tau. Or Imperial Guard/SM assuming none of them join, because a campaign with no humans would be weird. But I'm 95% sure we can get at least one of those.

Hey, humans just think they rule the galaxy, that doesn't make it true. There are plenty of places on the Galactic Rim that the Imperium hasn't got to or penetrated very far in. If no Imperial Forces rock up (or at least, very few) I'd say this campaign'd take place somewhere near or around the Damocles Gulf.

I'm leaning towards some sort of Imperial Force, Guard or Inquisition anyway. It's okay if I take both Sisters and Grey Knights, right? :smallamused:

...But, I'm also good for playing Orks or Daemons.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:12 AM
Hell, you'd be okay to take Imperial Guard and both inquisition forces if you'd like, in my opinion.

Oh, and 1500 points gets my vote for the standard game size, but whoever is facing eachother can agree on different rules. I mean, if it's a small skirmish, it may only be 500 pts.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 07:12 AM
Depending on the willingness of the players involved to adjust the fluff of the army they play, Imperial Guard/Space Marines and Chaos (Marines or Daemons) on one side would work, too - the "Imperial" forces could simply be recent renegades.

Also, the speed at which this thread grows is scary. :smalleek:

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:16 AM
If this speed is scary to you, you should have seen recruitment for Djinn's epic game: 200 pages before the game started. At which point it crashed.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:17 AM
What was Djinn's epic game?

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:20 AM
What it says on the tin, basically: an epic level Eberron game by Djinn in Tonic, as a play by post here on these fora, that generated enormous amounts of interest but had to be ended after about one page because Djinn couldn't make it.

loopy
2009-07-28, 07:21 AM
My army IRL is a recently turned Guard army, took the idea from the Blood Pact in Abnett's books, where just because they changed sides doesn't mean the military structure and command goes all crazy.

Its fun refluffing the units. Any guesses how the 'commisars' inspire people? :smallbiggrin:

EleventhHour
2009-07-28, 07:22 AM
GMT -8! ( Or North American EST/EDT)

I play IG, and... why wouldn't the Imperials get a side? They're the biggest faction. Maybe not in players, but fluffwise.

::Oh, and does anyone want to help me try a crazy idea?

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:26 AM
My army IRL is a recently turned Guard army, took the idea from the Blood Pact in Abnett's books, where just because they changed sides doesn't mean the military structure and command goes all crazy.

Its fun refluffing the units. Any guesses how the 'commisars' inspire people? :smallbiggrin:

Slaanesh Commisars? :smalltongue:

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 07:31 AM
As said, the Imperium would work with itself.

Not necessarily. The Imperial Guard are just collateral damage when the Astartes get involved. And half the Astartes Chapters hate each other anyway or are considered too bats* insane to go anywhere near. Then the Inquisition just hates everybody on their own team. And it's only a matter of time before they bust your a* for something you didn't even do...

Tau and Eldar would work together.

Not necessarily. Eldar hate pretty much everyone like the Imperium does. Tau will work with anyone 'for the Greater Good', but, that doesn't mean anyone will work with them.

I'm of the opinion that DE and CSM would work together.

I'll give you a 'maybe' on that one. And what GW says are 'allies' isn't exactly true, because, ultimately, they want everyone (in the real world) to get along and play their game. Lots of people play Chaos, nobody plays Dark Eldar. So, GW has to make sure that those people who do play Dark Eldar, actually have a chance at winning a game if there are more than two/three players.

Like I implied before, 40K doesn't have sides. Not in the conventional sense, anyway. That's why it's GrimDark. Most alliances are temporary (between Non-Imperial forces) at best. And at worst, the alliance only exists so your enemy doesn't stab you in the back whilst you're fighting off your other enemy...And even that goes pear-shaped...Especially if the Dark Eldar are involved.

Chaos themselves rarely work with each other. And, more often than not, are actually trying to screw over each other than any of the Imperial forces.

CSM and Chaos Demon (duh......)

Daemons hate mortals. Every single one of them. They hate Chaos servants even moreso, because the cultists (Marines or otherwise) actually have the balls to think that they can control the daemons and tell them what to do...Which the daemons don't like a whole lot.

Necrons, Tyranids and Orks are each by themselves. Orks aren't really mercenaries. They have only been shown to ally themselves when their potential ally has proven themselves stronger and there is no hope of winning for the Orks. It's like the Dark Eldar...Orks only ally for not a very good reason, and once that reason is gone, all bets are off.

Like I said, 'Teams by Race' isn't a good idea because people don't like certain races, and, therefore, certain teams will get gimped. 'Teams by Player choice' is probably the best idea because...Well, we know who is playing. But, that has it's pitfalls on it's own.
...At least people can come up with some really good stories about why they'd ally not kill each other just yet.

Again, I'm poking holes. But, I'm trying to be as constructive as I can.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:36 AM
I didn't say "these guys are the best buds I have ever seen in the universe." It was more "we could work this if needed." Which we could.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:42 AM
Yeah... due to number of players I could play with limited to 4, being me with Eldar and then Tau, Orks and Chaos, we often had games of Tau and Eldar vs. Orks and Chaos.

It can work as a temporary alliance with almost guaranteed backstab later.

FlyingScanian
2009-07-28, 07:49 AM
Like I implied before, 40K doesn't have sides. Not in the conventional sense, anyway. That's why it's GrimDark. Most alliances are temporary (between Non-Imperial forces) at best. And at worst, the alliance only exists so your enemy doesn't stab you in the back whilst you're fighting off your other enemy...And even that goes pear-shaped...Especially if the Dark Eldar are involved.

Sure there are... how many codices are there now again? 14? Just multiply that with, approx, 3, and you have a rough estimate on the number of sides. :smallwink:

As soon as I get Vassal to work, I'll be on with either Tau or IG. GMT+1 for me.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:51 AM
Eldan, you may want to note that Vassal is no longer downloadable in 3 or 4 days. So people don't get confused.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 07:51 AM
We have eight people now. Someone want to take a stab at a campaign story? I find myself a little uninspired, currently.

Edit: that might also be a good deadline, Copper.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 07:56 AM
I think an Imperial world being under attack would be easy enough if we can't find anything else, but that should be more like a Plan B. Maybe have it cover a few different planets?

Oh, and for the record, EleventhHour's Vassal name is actually just "Eleven."

† Dran †
2009-07-28, 08:14 AM
Id be more then happy to noob it up in a vassal game so count me in

Name: Dran
Race: hrm... SM (dont know if vassal allows for anything other then generic if so then Dark Angels)
Timezone: Sydney so gmt+10

Never played on vassal before so ill need a "how to" guide or something to go off first but after that should be sweet. Oh and a brief run down of the changes between 3rd and 4th edition might help.

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 08:19 AM
Never played on vassal before so ill need a "how to" guide or something to go off first but after that should be sweet. Oh and a brief run down of the changes between 3rd and 4th edition might help.

There's a HowTo Guide on the site (although I don't remember where I found it :smallfrown:). And knowing the changes between 4th and 5th would help you even more. :smallwink:

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 08:22 AM
4th? Aren't we playing with 5th edition rules? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Ninja'd! :smallbiggrin:

† Dran †
2009-07-28, 08:22 AM
well i have the basic jist of the differences between 4th and 5th cause there wasent a huge change from what ive been told. however the changes between 3rd and 4th are like a pin and a sword or something like that. Although ive collected armies and painted them in the past few years I havent been able to play any games since early 4th edition due to well... real life being a bitch.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 08:25 AM
Hmm... I don't think I've ever even played 3rd. No, I think when I started, 4th was around. Pretty new, though, I think. Except for my old Eldar codex (the blue one) which I think was still 3rd ed.

† Dran †
2009-07-28, 08:29 AM
heheh... well i have models that date back to 1st edition so yeah... tis been a long time for me *shrugs* even have the cardboard Dreadnoughts and the classic SM that cant be moved. Or the "beaked" SM with a bolter that looks closer to a flashlight then a bolter hehe.

But yeah might go to my local store tomorrow and pick up the main rule book and have a read before we start this so im not a total noob.

Baxter190
2009-07-28, 08:37 AM
I'll play Space Marines at GMT-5

Cheesegear
2009-07-28, 08:47 AM
Now I feel old. But, I did say I was a Greytooth. I've been playing since second. :smallconfused:

Big changes; 4th and 5th have very much been pro-assault as a general rule. A shooty army has to be very shooty to win.
Blast weapons no longer need to roll to hit. They roll Scatter Dice.
You can move D6" forward if you don't shoot. But, if you do that, you can't assault - unless you have Fleet.
Walkers are harder to kill.
Vehicles are easier to kill.

The difference between 3rd and 4th wasn't a great deal. And, then, 5th just changed a lot of things back to how 3rd used to do it. Nothing is like 2nd Ed. That has it's good and bad points. Good because the game is easier now. Bad, because the game is easier now.

Like the Vassal site itself says, Vassal isn't a substitute for the rulebooks and Codecies. Either you're going to have to re-learn the rules, or pray very hard that you get an opponent who is willing to walk you through every step of the game, every game. Not something I'm actually willing to do more than once if you don't have books of your own. :smalleek:

† Dran †
2009-07-28, 09:00 AM
well im going to move the rest of my discussion into the other thread so this doesnt get cluttered but one more thing on the vassal system

Does it allow for the other SM factions (dark angels black templars ext) or just generic marines?

Baxter190
2009-07-28, 09:00 AM
Black Templars yeah

Eldan
2009-07-28, 09:01 AM
Well, Vassal doesn't contain any rules, really. I've never really looked at space marine models, but it contains at least a list of different colour schemes for every army.

Currently, we could do three Eldar, 2IG+1SM and a third side, maybe chaos.

† Dran †
2009-07-28, 09:08 AM
Hrm Awesome, mark me down for some Dark angely death then :D

Baxter190
2009-07-28, 09:09 AM
Now I'm new to VASSAL as well, anyone here can get online to give me a tutorial now? I'll be named Baxter

Lorn
2009-07-28, 09:13 AM
I'd be willing to join in, using Guard - seeing as the army I'm starting up is Traitor Guard (fluffwise and painting/model wise) I could happily join as a Chaos Guard player. Need to get a feel for the army.

However, I haven't played for quite some time - and have very little monies for a rulebook at the moment. Not 100% on the rule changes between 4th and 5th, though I'm getting there.

Plus, I'm out through mid-August, and also next weekend.

If timing allows it, I'll happily join in, though if it doesn't then no hard feelings.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 09:17 AM
My impression regarding rules changes between editions is that one of the most notable ones are the rules for Independent Characters in close combat (who are treated as separate units now when in close combat for purposes of who can attack what and can therefore be targeted specifically now in close combat).

I don't know how it used to be before, but it's a rule many of the more experienced players seemed to be surprised to hear about in the other thread('s previous incarnation).

Narazil
2009-07-28, 09:37 AM
Ooh, pick me, pick me! I'll be anything you want me to be!
Space Marines, GMT+1 I guess.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 09:41 AM
Wow, I never realized we had this many WH40k players here. :smallsmile:

loopy
2009-07-28, 09:46 AM
Wow, I never realized we had this many WH40k players here. :smallsmile:

You find them everywhere. I was at a rave in Sydney earlier this month and found people comparing the various chapters of space marines... at a rave. Sigh. :smallbiggrin:

Krrth
2009-07-28, 10:36 AM
Despite the fact that I have:

No rules,
No army,
No idea how to play,

I'm still watching. The results are going to be posted here, right?

Erloas
2009-07-28, 11:12 AM
Well I'm not sure how much time I would really have to play (I'm sure I could make the time if I wanted to) I'll give it a shot.

Right now my choices are either Eldar, or I could borrow my brothers Daemons army book. So whichever works best.

I'm MST, so -7GMT.

I downloaded Vassal a while ago but never actually did much to get it working. I don't have an account on their servers yet, but I will be Erloas when I do.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 11:14 AM
That's the goal of the entire thing, yes.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 11:19 AM
As for sides: we currently have, counting those who gave several options as ~1:

1+~2 Imperial Guard
1+~3 Eldar
~1 Daemons
3 Marines
~1 Nids
~2 Tau
2 Chaos Space Marines

and two undecided.

I think we could, with 13 people currently in the list, make four sides. Currently,
Imperium, Eldar and Chaos as the first three looks like a good bet, with maybe Tau as number four.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-28, 11:40 AM
Well, I can't play because I don't have the latest rulebook OR the latest marine codex, but I'll be keeping my eye on this and if you need campaign/story stuff I'd be happy to help. Apparently I'm a pretty good writer, so...

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 12:47 PM
For convenience to everyone involved, along with the module and engine posted on page one, do download the map packs. They're quite good.

FlyingScanian
2009-07-28, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'll have to jump ship. Me and Vassal... aren't exactly agreeing as things stand out, and I should probably focus a bit more on studying... :smallfrown:

Bryn
2009-07-28, 04:56 PM
De-lurking for this, it looks fun.

I'd be most interested in playing Guard. I also have codices for Tyranids, Eldar, Necrons, Daemonhunters and the previous Orks codex, but I'd be much worse at playing any of them than I would be at playing Guard.

I would also be interested in helping to write background stuff :smallsmile:.

Now to update VASSAL and the 40k module and check it's working.

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 05:15 PM
I assume you disconnected and couldn't log back on, or something, Narazil? :smallfrown:

Well, I had a game with some (quite nice seeming) stranger... 500 points, my Chaos Marines against his Tau.
...let's just say that Fortuna was immensely not on his side. Poor guy. :smalleek:
On the plus side, I could learn how to operate Vassal this way.

Thanks once again for explaining it all to me, Eldan and Narazil! :smallsmile:

Timarvay
2009-07-28, 05:33 PM
If it isn't too late to join up, put me down as well.

Never played a game with vassal, and I've only played a few games on the table, mind.

I can do Orks or Guard, preferably Orks, and I live at GMT -5, I think. New York State time. I'm clear for pretty much whenever between 10 AM and 5 PM.

Would it be wise to put each other as contacts on Google talk or MSN to make this easier?

Steilos
2009-07-28, 05:35 PM
Soo.... Vassal. Vassalvassalvassal. Might as well give it a try with the GitP crew.

I'ma go get myself a Vassal name and army (probably IG, which I have never played before, erk)
..Truth be told, I don't have that much experience. GMT Exact, btw.

Copper8642
2009-07-28, 09:43 PM
Tiimarvay, just so you know, you're -5 with me. I too am from NY state.

Baxter190
2009-07-28, 10:01 PM
I'm also at -5 gmt

Eldan
2009-07-29, 03:16 AM
15 people now, and no real idea how to do a campaign with these.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 03:56 AM
Well, considering everything else is taken, I might run Necons or Inquisition. Since I'm pretty sure Tim will pick Orks (unless he wants to be like everyone else and pick Guard...).

I'm on Vassal right now. Looking to try and see if I can not Phase Out. If I can manage it a few times, I might roll Necrons. Otherwise Inquisition, I know they'll work.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 03:58 AM
Okay, then we would have pretty much all sides. Which would turn this into something approaching a free-for-all slugfest. Still, I'm open for story ideas.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 03:59 AM
Okay, then we would have pretty much all sides. Which would turn this into something approaching a free-for-all slugfest. Still, I'm open for story ideas.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything without having it sound like a bad Soulstorm rip-off.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 04:02 AM
I haven't actually played Soulstorm, only heard how bad it was. Still, it seems like the Empire has about one third of the players, which would be bad if they were fighting each other. (I.e. Soulstorm Sisters vs. Marines).

So, making teams is still my prefered option. Perhaps you can get a few of the undecided people to play Necron as well? If we had two or three of them, they could be a faction.

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 04:02 AM
Well, it's not like all of them will be able to play at the same time...

I'd suggest we pretty much do what you proposed before - split them into ~4 factions, and have each victorious battle shift the campaign more into that faction's favour.

If we are willing to go for a slightly higher degree of complexity, we could also draw up a map of some remote sector that's filled with planets with precious artifacts or otherwise strategically important planets, and have each battle fought be for the control of these artifacts or planets, keeping track of which faction controls what and players being able to issue challenges which target they desire to fight for next.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 04:04 AM
Well, if someone wants to do a map, he is more than welcome. I think the Damocles Gulf has been mentioned, which seems remote enough and opens the door for Tau Players.

EleventhHour
2009-07-29, 04:08 AM
Campaign setting on a poorly drawn map? Okay!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/BrightestHunter/F1.jpg

::...Oh. You meant a GALATIC map... Nevermind!

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 04:26 AM
I haven't actually played Soulstorm, only heard how bad it was.

The game itself is actually alright...But, if you're looking for a Story in it...There is none. "Everyone managed to show up for the same reasons that they always do. Now fight!"

Whatever I come up with will only be worse than that since I'm not really a professional... :smallconfused:

Eldan
2009-07-29, 04:38 AM
Well, If we wanted to go really epic...

"SECOND DAMOCLES CRUSADE, GO!"

As for Soulstorm: I kept hearing how bad the accents and the voice acting were. Went to listen to it and honestly, those aren't strong accents. I hear worse every day from every second german or swiss person I talk to.

Steilos
2009-07-29, 06:01 AM
Alright. I'm off to get an IG codex today. With that I'll knock together some army lists. Vassal name is Steilos, and I can do pretty much every day past 5pm until September.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 06:18 AM
Here's what I've got so far...

The Imperium are trucking around the Damocles Gulf, happy as can be, as they always are when entering Xenos Territory. Y'know, they come in without asking into a known unfriendly area. And then they decide to get hostile when they're attacked. Hey, it's not like they're armed to the teeth or anything.

So, they head into the Eldan System it's got, something like three habitable worlds orbiting the Eldan Star. Sweet Deals! The Imperium want the System. This star burns green. Why? Who in the warp knows, but it's freaky as all get-out. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Sun burns Chlorine gas, rather than Hydrogen. Who the Hell cares. Green Sun. Neat. Superman gets no special bonuses to hit in these planets' atmosphere. :smalltongue:

Turns out, one of the worlds is actually an Eldar craftworld, and, man, are the Eldar pissed. This is their space. Turns out, the Green Sun is really important, and this particular Eldar Craftworld has been it's guardian defender. So, with the Tau and the Eldar about, no surprise that the Inquisition gets called up. Ding Ding. Energy patten from the green Sun, matches energy patterns shown by Necron Tomb-Worlds...And if the Sun is a Necron energy source...Oh shi...I can't finish that sentence because the Necron has awakened and, likewise, is as pissed as Batman on a bender. The Eldar have been keeping them asleep too long. It's time that everyone in the system burned. Next stop, the entire Galactic Rim.

Oh crap. All this massive psychic feedback (because there's no shortage of that when a Necron system awakens) brings Chaos into the mix. All this random fury and psychic energy...Also draws Weirdboyz. They don't know why, Hell, they've got approximately zero control over their powers. All's the Warbosses know, is that the Weirdboyz are 'drawn' out near the Bluies' System. Plus, the bluies don't know a good fight when they get clouted over the head with one. Still, the Wierdboy sez go, soz we go. The Orks show up and Ho. Ly. Crap. Best Fight Going On Ever.

With all this mayhem going on, the Astartes show up. Apparently the Inquisition doesn't have a handle on it. Still, now everyone's seen too much and the Inquisition has got to put down everyone. Because, once all the dust settles, the Inquisition knows that that green Sun (The Eldan Star) is totally a weapon.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 06:21 AM
Sounds like half my Craftworld's backstory anyway... they have been hanging out near the Tau for quite some time, protecting exodite and maiden worlds from the expansionist Tau. (Mainly because I always fought them, it was the only army anyone near me had.)

Wait, is anyone even Playing Necron? I don't see any in the list.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 06:40 AM
Wait, is anyone even Playing Necron? I don't see any in the list.

I'm thinking about it. Put me down as Necron or Inquisition.

You forgot about the part about the Eldar keeping the Necron threat asleep. Or, at least keeping watch over the System.

Oh, right...The Green Sun also has a neat effect on Ork chlorophyll-filtration rate. For those that care.

...And the 'Nids show up...Because...Well, 'Nids aren't even sentient. So it hardly matters why. They show up because that's what they do.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 06:47 AM
Logically, Orks would have to change colour then. To red, most likely. But I'm assuming in a galaxy of differently coloured stars, no one cares about details like that. I mean, they are photosynthetic fungi.

Looking at the map of Tau Space: Eldar, Tau and Nids aren't a problem and the empire shows up everywhere anyway.

I'm just putting this out there for everyone:

Please decide on ONE army to use before saturday.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 06:53 AM
Logically, Orks would have to change colour then. To red, most likely.

Red Orks are awesome. Grom Hellscream is a winner.

Looking at the map of Tau Space: Eldar, Tau and Nids aren't a problem and the Imperium shows up everywhere anyway.

Tau threat analysis clearly sucks. Because I see a System which has Necron, Eldar, 'Nids and Orks crawling all over it. :smallwink:

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 06:57 AM
I say an artifact named the Gmirdrak is involved somehow (a Macguffin, and an anagram of Grimdark). Or not, but I found the idea funny.

Also, don't plan your army lists against special characters, at first I'd say none of them are around. If later we agree one has arrived, ok, but not at first. Like-wise, if doing a non-standard mission, an SC lookalike could be used to get the desired effect. IG using a conscript horde the enemy must survive? That Valhallan guy. They outflanking? Rahem. Space Marine land way off target and straggling to find their target? The Khan. Not sure of any other ideas, but they're probably out there.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:00 AM
What about this: a certain point on the map, if we make one, allows the team using it to vote for one special character they can use in their army lists.

Anyway, I'm against going with names that are too silly, like anagrams of Grimdark. I mean, I used a planet named Gh'rimm once, and it was dark there, because the sun was far away, but still.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 07:01 AM
I say an artifact named the Gmirdrak is involved somehow (a Macguffin, and an anagram of Grimdark). Or not, but I found the idea funny.

The Necron call their Star K'rag Dim'r. Loosely translated as 'The On Switch'. Poorly translated, or, rather, misheard by Ground Troops as 'Galaxy Dimmer.'

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 07:05 AM
Yeah, Cheesegear's idea is better.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 07:10 AM
Yeah, Cheesegear's idea is better.

I accept cookies, muffins and internets.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:14 AM
The idea is not worth an internet, I'd say, but you can have a cookie.

EleventhHour
2009-07-29, 07:15 AM
The Necron call their Star K'rag Dim'r. Loosely translated as 'The On Switch'. Poorly translated, or, rather, misheard by Ground Troops as 'Galaxy Dimmer.'

Does it come with a dimmer knob, or is it just a big death button?

(How many points were we going with, anyway?)

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 07:19 AM
Agree with your point total with the opponent before the battle. The idea here (for me at least) was the battle would fit the situation at hand. Small patrol? 500 pts. Normal battle? I usually do 1500, but whatever you agree around that range (1750, 2000?).

Also, if it fits and you agree to it, do a nonstandard mission. There is a map in the map packs that is a big trench from the top right to the bottom left, let one player deploy there, and the other deploy in the bottom right and top left. Surrounded! Likewise, there's a fortress for basic "Attacker, Defender" missions.

And is it also viable to use this thread for "I'm on VASSAL right now" purposes? Because I'm on VASSAL right now.

Narazil
2009-07-29, 07:23 AM
Sorry for disappearing like that :/. I didn't get any messages for several minutes, so I attempted to relog. I couldn't get back on.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:23 AM
I'd say the same, yes. Basically, just look how much time you have: in Vassal, battles often take longer than on the table. If spent half a day with a 1500 pt. battle before.

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 07:24 AM
(How many points were we going with, anyway?)By my understanding the idea was for the players to vary it as they please, with battles with more points furthering the cause of the winner's side more than smaller ones, though I'm not sure if we decided to follow through with that or not.

And is it also viable to use this thread for "I'm on VASSAL right now" purposes? Because I'm on VASSAL right now.I think doing that here makes more sense than in the other thread, yeah.

Sorry for disappearing like that :/. I didn't get any messages for several minutes, so I attempted to relog. I couldn't get back on.It's alright. I figured it had to be something like that.
I had a game with this stranger who'd joined us, Kami or whatever his name was, instead.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:35 AM
What about the following basic mechanism for campaign resolution:

-Every player hands in two small (500 point) and two large (1500 point) lists for his army. This provides both some variety and a measure of control and consistency.

-A player may challenge a player of another team to either a small game (500 points) or large game (1500 points).

-The players play the game using one of their two lists.

-The winner of a game gains either 2 (large game) or 1 (small game) for his faction, while the other side loses that many points.

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 07:35 AM
And if you want a set response on who I'm playing, I'll join the craftworld. Eldar, here I go.

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 07:38 AM
-The winner of a game gains either 2 (large game) or 1 (large game) for his faction, while the other side loses that many points.You mean 2 (large game) or 1 (small game), right? :smalltongue:
Also, I think I'd rather give points to the winners only, but not subtract points from losers. I don't see much reason to do both.

Anyway, sounds good. Will hand in the lists as soon as I'm home this evening. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:39 AM
There's plenty time: registration is open until Saturday, and with making teams, and agreeing on all mechanics, it could well take another week before we start.

Dorizzit
2009-07-29, 09:02 AM
Alright, definitely sign me up for Eldar as my final list choice.
At the moment, I'm thinking about playing Biel-Tan Eldar who were drawn into the conflict by the open Eldar distress signal sent by the local craftworld. Oh yeah, and they'll be lead by Karandras. For gits and shiggles. Also painful death.

I also have two open questions:
Would anyone like to play a game of VASSAL with me? I'd very much like to learn the ropes before it starts for real.
How do you install the Map Packs? The answer has thus far eluded me.
Thanks, Narazil.

Timarvay
2009-07-29, 09:28 AM
Orks for my final choice, then.

Is it cool to use Planetstrike for this? I haven't played a match with it yet, but I'd love to try it out. I do have the book for it. Same with apocalypse, actually.

Lorn
2009-07-29, 09:30 AM
Alright, it's looking interesting. Sign me up as Traitor Guard as my final overall definite choice, if you don't mind - it's the army I'm getting together, so I may as well get used to using it.

(I mean, I'll happily play Guard alongside anyone, but would hugely prefer to be on the same side as Chaos if that makes sense...)

Erloas
2009-07-29, 09:41 AM
Like I said before, I'll play whichever side needs me between Daemons and Eldar, I would do others but those are the only 2 Codex I have access to.

I'll probably look to play a game of Vassal tonight to figure everything out. Probably just build a 1000 or 1500 point list I already have made up. I should be around to play in about 10 hours if anyone else is on around then.

Also the list on the first post has my name all mixed up.

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 09:52 AM
Well, I'd be very glad if one or both of you, Lorn and Erloas, would join me on the Chaos side; I'm feeling quite lonely here. :smallredface:

Penguinizer
2009-07-29, 10:00 AM
I'd be willing to join as well. I'm in the GMT +2 timezone. I'll probably be available reliably from 6pm-ish my time, to sometime around 1 AM. After vacation ends, I'll give another estimate. The only thing that's coming up that limits me from playing would be a trip to London next week (6 days starting on Monday).

I'll probably play either IG or Tyranids.

My vassal name is also Penguinizer.

Narazil
2009-07-29, 11:14 AM
One 500 and one 1500 point list semi-done. Would love to have them playtested, though.
Joining as Raven Guard Space Marines, on team non-Chaos unless anyone objects.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 11:17 AM
I think I'll use my marines as Imperial Fists. a quick question though about the units in Vassal: are they designed for 4th eidtion rules? If so, can they be played with 5th edition?

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 11:20 AM
It's 5th edition, everything recent is there. It's all good.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 11:37 AM
Ok, good. So anyone wanna jump onto VASSAL and play a practice game with me? I'll be under Baxter as a name

Eldan
2009-07-29, 11:57 AM
On the rules:

So far, I think the following should be included:

-No Apocalypse. Vassal doesn't have the model, and it's unfair towards people who don't have the rules. No Planetstrike or other special rulebooks either.

-No special characters, they don't really fit the mood of most campaigns.

Penguinizer
2009-07-29, 12:04 PM
Blargh. The no SC rule makes me have to re-design my army list a little. I was going to use Guardsman Marbo and Knight Commander Pask.

Actually, it seems like I remembered my list wrong. It doesn't make me have to change anything it seems.

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 12:04 PM
I think if two people agreed to a planetstrike match, they might as well be able to do it.

Also, Apocalypse may be fitting if enough players all want to play in a match. Then again, I don't see it getting bigger than 2vs2, which is easy enough to do with normal sized matches.

For the record, I've seen people play matches bigger than a 6x4 table, I just don't know how to make them. Superheavies are also out.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 12:06 PM
Copper, you were just on right? Can you show me how to work VASSAL?

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 12:06 PM
Yeah, where'd you go? I've got like, a half hour.

Dorizzit
2009-07-29, 12:10 PM
-No special characters, they don't really fit the mood of most campaigns.

This makes me sad. But fair enough.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 12:48 PM
I love Apocalypse as much as the next manchild collecting toy soldiers, but the problem is that Vassal doesn't include the models for it. IF you can play Apocalypse without Aircraft, Titans and other superheavies, go on, I just don't see much of a difference to a normal large game then.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 01:02 PM
how about instead of no special characters, each side gets one special character created just for the campaign:

Copper8642
2009-07-29, 01:18 PM
Creating special characters could quite possibly be more cheesey than normal SCs (or less, but it's too risky).

Steilos
2009-07-29, 02:20 PM
Alright. I'm making the army list now. I'll be free for a practice game to get the hang of this bloody thing.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 02:28 PM
Yeah... we shouldn't do that, I think. Balance is hard in WH40k.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 02:36 PM
fair enough. What name will you be under Steilos?

Steilos
2009-07-29, 03:05 PM
I'll be under the fetching moniker of Steilos.
Also, army list is done. Firing up Vassal so I can shows it.

Dammer
2009-07-29, 03:31 PM
Hello Eldan

Could you please add me to the Table? I'd like to play Tau.
Gmt 0 - Weekends and weeknights free.

Sorry , cant say I'm ready to use Orks though -- need to practice moar.

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 09:20 PM
So, I talked to my professor at Uni today, he basically gave me a rough guide;

If the Sun is green in the atmosphere / from the surface of a planet;
The sky is purple...Therefore large quantities of undersky water will also appear purple. Small quantities of (pure) water should still be clear though.

Plants, grasses and the like (therefore Orks) will be yellow.

Just for anyone who wants to write IC reports on certain planets / anyone who cares (i.e; Probably only me).

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 09:22 PM
Nice piece of info Cheesgear. So, how about we start drawing Teams

Declare what team your own and what army your playing. for example:

Team Tau: Imperial Guard for Tau human auxilaries

Cheesegear
2009-07-29, 09:25 PM
Declare what team your own and what army your playing. for example:

I also had an idea for those people who either
a) Don't want to be on a team...Hey, some people don't play well with others, or
b) have Armies that don't encourage allies (Necrons, 'Nids, probably Orks)

That at the end, you get your score, and divide by how many people are on your team.

Baxter190
2009-07-29, 10:08 PM
That would work rater well cheasegear. In that case, you would just put:

Solo: Necrons for a solo player with necrons

Eldan
2009-07-30, 02:55 AM
Narazil: sorry about vanishing yesterday. My connection suddenly imploded and wouldn't come back on :smallfrown:
But I guess you would have won anyway.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 05:03 AM
Declare what team your own and what army your playing. for example:Wouldn't we have to decide what the teams are first, then, so that it doesn't end up with everyone founding a team of her or his own?

But, anyhow...

Team Chaos: Chaos Space Marines of the Black Legion.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 05:06 AM
I'd like with making teams until we know what army everyone is playing and how many players there will be. So, Saturday.

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 05:09 AM
Imperium (/IG if they have to go it alone) : The Witchbuster 11th Elysian Drop Company

:smalltongue: Poor Copper and his warlocks.

:: Ooh! Ooh! Cheesegear, I'll work with you on the setting(s). Please?

Eldan
2009-07-30, 05:11 AM
Well, we already have 2 confirmed and 3 possible guard armies, so they may well become their own faction, yes.

Cheesegear
2009-07-30, 06:09 AM
:: Ooh! Ooh! Cheesegear, I'll work with you on the setting(s). Please?

...Even though I've already got most of it sorted. :smallamused:
Can you add to the background that I've already posted in some sort of meaningful way?
...Or just out-and-out trump me and write your own whole new one. It wouldn't be that hard.

Also, in the general tactics thread, I proposed the only Necron list it was possible to make at 500 points. Winterwind had the brilliant idea of allowing Flayed Ones as Troops. Not that it adds a whole lot of difference. What does the board think of think of that idea?

Otherwise I'll just simply go for Inquisition forces (Poor Copper and his Warlocks indeed), and we can forget that the Necron have awoken. Rather, still sleeping...But, the Sun is still funky green and is something like a Halo Ring-World Superweapon...Or housing a C'Tan which amounts to the same thing.

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 06:14 AM
Or... It could have a forgotten Blackstone Fortress? :smallconfused:
(If you don't go Necrons, that way we can ignore the galaxy devouring skeletons altogether.)

Also : Drat.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 06:58 AM
For some reason, I still have you in the list as "IG or Nid", cheesegear. Strange. Anyway, currently it seems we may have to go with Eldar vs. Chaos vs. Empire".

Cheesegear
2009-07-30, 07:16 AM
For some reason, I still have you in the list as "IG or Nid", cheesegear. Strange. Anyway, currently it seems we may have to go with Eldar vs. Chaos vs. Imperium".

Rightio...I'll go Inquisition then. I'm going on a Warlock hunt...Who do I give my list/s to?

Eldan
2009-07-30, 07:18 AM
Post it here sometime, I'd say. I don't own any codices except the Eldar one, so I'd like to ask everyone to read over everyone else's list.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 07:23 AM
Ah, drat, I had wanted to post my lists yesterday, but forgot. Sorry about that. :smallredface:

Will do it today, then...

Eldan
2009-07-30, 07:24 AM
I need to work on my lists as well... most of those I have lying around are still based on 4th edition and have their troop choices filled with mostly pathfinders. Have to include some more bikes and cheap guard blocks, I think.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 07:26 AM
I need to work on my lists as well... most of those I have lying around are still based on 4th edition and have their troop choices filled with mostly pathfinders. Have to include some more bikes and cheap guard blocks, I think.What's the problem with Pathfinders? I don't have my codex with me, but last time I checked, those are still Troop choices in 5th edition? :smallconfused:

Or is the problem that they are too fragile to hold objectives?

Eldan
2009-07-30, 07:29 AM
Not too fragile, necessarily. 2+ cover saves go a long way there. But one of my lists has 2 6-man squads of pathfinders as the only troop choices. Meaning that it's damn hard to take objectives if they are on the other side of the field.
I've however noticed that three-man squads of bikes with a shuriken cannon are quite versatile, tougher than I thought and able to get to objectives damn quick during the last turn of the game.

Lorn
2009-07-30, 07:34 AM
So, on army lists - from what I can see we each need two 500 point lists and two 1500 point lists?

Could someone please clarify this for me?

Eldan
2009-07-30, 07:37 AM
It was what I suggested, and I think there have been no counter-suggestions, so yes.

Everyone: make 2 army lists worth 500 points and 2 worth 1500 points, so you have some variety when playing. Making only one of each is of course allowed as well, but it makes you predictable.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 07:45 AM
Heh... for some reason, it occurs to me only now that we are not limited in any way to the models we possess in reality. :smallbiggrin:

Mmmm, so I can finally try out that Land Raider or Defiler... :smallcool:

Eldan
2009-07-30, 07:48 AM
I could try and build an Iyanden army consisting mostly of Wraithguard... but they just seem too expensive for what they do.

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 07:54 AM
My own fluffy lists are coming along great. Even though I only plan on ever including one Lemas Russ (basic) Steel Wings. Elysian DROP troops. Heavy tanks don't fit in well.

\/- My 500 point list is actually somewhat cheesy, itself. :smalltongue:

Lorn
2009-07-30, 08:01 AM
Well, I have one list thrown roughly together for 500 points... even if it DID start out as a Pun-Pun esque thought excercise.

Copper8642
2009-07-30, 08:11 AM
If you agree a different list would fit the feel of the mission, and the other player agrees, you should be able to use a different list. Of course, you've just told them your list before they choose one, so they know it's coming. Basically, if I was facing Chaos and thought some Harlequins would be cool to show up, or.... Something.

Basically, all of these rules should be allowed to be bended (not completely broken) by agreement.

As for EleventhHour's comment before, I proclaimed her men the Witchbusters after, over the course of about two games, I think she failed exactly one save from this Jetbike Warlock's Witchblade. They're Witchblade-proof! That being said, the one time she failed, the guys also failed their morale test and the Initiative test, and the lone warlock cut down about 20 men. But aside from that.

That being said, I played (and lost) a game against Nid's yesterday, where the warlock (and this time a Jetbike Guardian had survived) once again cut down about 20 units (Gaunts, this time) in a sweeping advance. Eleven and I are convinced he's gotta be a Dark Eldar, or at least just flat out bloodthirsty.

On another note, I'm on VASSAL. Again.

Steilos
2009-07-30, 08:40 AM
Kay, got the first two army lists up. 500pts. I think they're kosher...

I'll give you a game using a 500pts mechanised IG army list, Copper.

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 08:48 AM
!

I just had an idea to add a whole new wackyness to this, though some battles might end up a little lopsided.

Not only do we control the tactics on the battlefield, but we also have to declare how many points we're going to be moving there, how many are staying in the previous territory as garrison, etc.

Of course, that's unfair considering one side is going to end up with more players, and thier going to have more to spread around, but what if the limit on points wasn't per player but per faction? This could give us reason to try different senarios, like 1000 vs entrenched 750, etc. A little bit of leeway would have to be accepted to avoid situations like 2000 vs 500 (Though, if a player is willing to leave thier previous territory empty, it might be premissable.)

You never 'lose' the points that the army cost toward the total, even if you lose, or have the majority of your troops die, it's assumed you have enough supply to instantly replace them. And this could force players to join sides instead of us trying to contrieve alliances as having extra territories would grant the Faction extra points to move around.

::Quick amendment before anyone replies ; The raising and lowering of points involved can only be done in 250 point segments.
----

Just an idea. >.>

Eldan
2009-07-30, 08:49 AM
Sure, these rules are more guidelines than anything. But for a campaign like this, I think it's good if people have lists that other people can read over, to make sure there are no mistakes.

A propos mistakes:

Yesterday the following situation occured: Narazil had a dreadnought, which was stunned, immobilized and had lost it's weapons. Since I had a unit of scorpions nearby, the the exarch of which had a power fist, I thought I'd finish it off.

Charged. Twenty something S4 attacks can't even scratch it, of course. Three powerfist attacks, then. Two miss, one doesn't penetrate the armour. Crap.

The dreadnought swings, hits one scorpion, insta-kills him.

Scorpions fail on their leadership of 9 and run.

At that point, we started digging through the rules. Can an immobilized walker pursue a unit? Short search didn't show anything, so yes, sweeping advance.

Result? He killed them. Of course, ten minutes later I finally found the rules in question, that he couldn't pursue. We felt silly.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 09:03 AM
This sounds pretty great in theory, Eleven (I may call you that, may I? :smallwink:), it might turn out to be too complicated for us to handle in practice though.

If we can make it work, however, I'm all for it.

† Dran †
2009-07-30, 09:05 AM
hrmm after going to my local shop I think im going to slightly mix it up a bit with my army choice (tho not really).

Mark me down for:

SM/IG: Black Templar's

Have the urge to Burn the Witch for some reason.... Ill make my army list now. Oh and quick question.. anyone found the scatter dice in Vassle yet?

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 09:10 AM
Have the urge to Burn the Witch for some reason.... Ill make my army list now. Oh and quick question.. anyone found the scatter dice in Vassle yet?It's located below the board, near the middle per default.

You have to put the die itself to the location you want to shoot at, and right click it to choose the diameter of the explosion (not necessarily in that order). Then right click it again to have it roll; roll 2d6 manually to determine scatter distance, and just have the scatter die move this many inches forward like you would move a model, as rolling it automatically turns it into the right direction.

Penguinizer
2009-07-30, 09:12 AM
Well. I'll have to make the two 500 point lists. I've currently got 2 lists at around 1500 points, although the only changes between them are some weapon picks. I'll make another different one though. One question I do have is: Does the no SC rule apply to unique choices, such as Guardsman Marbo?

loopy
2009-07-30, 09:16 AM
I have a question. Will the campaign 'zones' or territories give any advantages or whatever? Extra troops, blah blah.

(I'm thinking things like occasional hero units, militia, random stuff whenever the campaign master says its appropriate)

Not exactly *balanced*, but awesome. :smallsmile:

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 09:18 AM
This sounds pretty great in theory, Eleven (I may call you that, may I? :smallwink:), it might turn out to be too complicated for us to handle in practice though.

If we can make it work, however, I'm all for it.

{table=head] x | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A . | IG (250) | IG (500) | SM (500) | SM (500) | =][= (500)
B . | IG (250) | CSM (750) | CSM (250) | DE (250) | =][= (250)
c .| ORK (500) | N (250) | N (250) | Nid (750) | Nid (250)
D .|ORK (500) | N (250) | N (250) | Tau (500) | =][= (250)
E .|E (500) | E (250) | E (250) | Tau (500) | DE (750)
[/table]

That's a fairly basic way of showing it, and we'll likely have more or less sides connecting per territory, but really it shouldn't be too hard to track, especially if someone sits out to GM, and everyone can do 'movements' in secret.

::
I was thinking that you'd get extra points per territory, and maybe we could get fluff-related bonuses going for some. That would depend on Cheesegear. :smalltongue: Hey, if it's epic enough we could even just -write- a story out of this. :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 09:28 AM
Mmmm, this indeed looks workable. :smallsmile:

I'm not 100% certain whether it would not lead to overly unbalanced (and hence, non-fun) battles at times, but it appears so interesting, it might just be worth risking it.

Copper8642
2009-07-30, 09:30 AM
I actually have absolutely no understanding of that table at all. What's going on there.....:smallconfused:

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 09:34 AM
The IG have 500 points in A2, 250 in B1 and A1, while Chaos Space Marines have 750 points in B2 and 250 in B3, and so on down the chart.

V- His is better. And less stating-of-the-obvious.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 09:35 AM
I actually have absolutely no understanding of that table at all. What's going on there.....:smallconfused:Each square represents an area of space. It's a map, divided in square-shaped sectors, each controlled by some faction and held by a force of some amount of points specified in the field.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 11:07 AM
So, this ends up somewhat like the Dark Crusade campaign? Not bad, if someone can make it work.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 01:27 PM
I'm on Vassal now, if someone wants a game.

loopy
2009-07-30, 01:51 PM
Okay, now everyone has picked a side, what do you want me to play, Mr GM? :smallsmile:

Eldan
2009-07-30, 02:01 PM
Well, let's count:

Definitely playing imperials of all kinds: 7
Definitely playing Eldar: 3
Definitely playing Chaos: 3
Definitely playing Tau: 1
Undecided: 3, including Loopy.

So, what do we make with this? Everyone against the Imperium? I kind a can't see Eldar and Chaos going together. Perhaps we'll hape to split the imperials. Someone volunteering for Traitor Guard, Tau Auxillaries or something like that?

Lorn
2009-07-30, 02:08 PM
There's already me as Traitor Guard, otherwise I'd volunteer.

Perhaps Space Marine chapters with longstanding rivalries (Dark Angels/Space Wolves style, just more violent) commandeering different Guard units?

Eldan
2009-07-30, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I already put you down as chaos, actually. Otherwise it'd just be the two CSMs.

Timarvay
2009-07-30, 02:16 PM
You could put my Orks in with Chaos, I think. Or, how about this:

Once upon a time, there was a WAAAGH!

Then the narrator got his head kicked in.

Anyway, those Orks found a group of Tau. Due to a translation error, the Tau told them that the Greater Good was the same thing as a really, really, big fight.

As of the current time, the Tau have yet to correct this, and use the Orks as cannon fodder.

Dammer
2009-07-30, 02:18 PM
Ha, I'm the only tau player there. Yippee Kai yay! No seriously I feel a bit of the outsider and awwwl alone. ;; Ah well tough, in the future there is only waaaaaa..?:smallconfused:
I have to team up with someone or go squish!:smallbiggrin:
Anyhow I have a 1500 armies prepped and a 500 pter.. (still need to work on it I think.)

I'm tempted to test them out but worry that it'll spoil the surprise. Oh the dilemmas..

^^ anyways so glad to find that a lot here are interested.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 02:25 PM
You'll definitely go Ork, Timarvay? I'll go write that down, then.

Timarvay
2009-07-30, 02:38 PM
Yep. I'm going to go green, as it were.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 04:45 PM
Maybe the best thing to do would be for Tau to ally with Eldar, Orks with Chaos, and then to distribute the undecided people on the Eldar and Chaos teams?

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 04:48 PM
Well, Space Marines don't have to ally with Guardsmen, the =][= aren't going to care about the guard, except when a division or two has to be somewhere, and the IG are going to be buzy trying to stay alive/take an objective, depending where you are on the command line.

So, the Imperium could be divided into three 'allied' forces, and it could stay a 'free-for-all' and let the alliances get setup in game, instead of beforehand.

:smalltongue:

Eldan
2009-07-30, 04:55 PM
17 people... well, if one more signed up, we could make 3 teams of six... if, on the other side, two people don't show up (which seems to be almost guaranteed on these boards, judging by the PbP games), we could either do 5 teams of 3 or 3 teams of 5.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 05:09 PM
Well, if my experience from the GitP StarCraft and WarCraft 3 groups is any indication, the amount of people showing up is quite likely to be even lower than that. I mean, I think we have a 20% attendance rate at best over there.

Steilos
2009-07-30, 07:26 PM
Oh hey, statreport.
Also, question!
Can I use a platoon for my 500pts armylist?
As in, platoon command=HQ, and each inf squad is a seperate Troops choice?
Just that it feels a bit silly having a senior Company commander running around in a very small scale 500pts battle.

Tafkan
2009-07-30, 07:35 PM
What? No necrons or dark eldar? Okay, so I can understand no necrons, but dark eldar can totally form alliances! If by "allies" you mean "slaves", that is.

Just out of curiosity, what is this Vassal thingy anyway? Some sort of online 40k simulator?

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 08:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is this Vassal thingy anyway? Some sort of online 40k simulator?Precisely that.
The links in the first post of this thread should contain all the information you need.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, it stopped being available for download yesterday...

Timarvay
2009-07-30, 10:01 PM
As of right now, I am downloading the Vassal Megapack.

I think the site goes down in an hour or so, but I'm not certain.

Cheesegear
2009-07-31, 01:09 AM
What? No necrons or dark eldar?

I was going to play Necrons. But, I couldn't make an effective 500 point list. So, I didn't bother.

...And by no means do Imperium Factions have to ally with each other.

I'll have list/s up by tomorrow sometime.

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 06:17 AM
Well, darnit, again didn't get to posting any lists yesterday. >_<
...hey, breaking oaths is pretty much in a Chaos Space Marine's job description, right? :smalltongue:
Today, then. :smallsmile:

EleventhHour
2009-07-31, 06:24 AM
Some of my completed lists...

(2 500s and 1 1000)

* HQ *

Company Command Squad - 50

^ Troops ^

Vetran Squad - Autocannon - 80

Vetran Squad - Meltagun, Meltagun - 90

>> Fast Attack >>

Valkyrie - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 110

• Heavy Support •

Lemans Russ Battle Tank - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 170

500 Points

------------

* HQ *

Company Command Squad - Chimera w/ Heavy Stubber - 115

^ Troops ^

Platoon Command Squad - Chimera - 85
= Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Chimera - 110
= Infantry Squad - Flamer, Chimera - 110

>> Fast Attack >>

Scout Sentinel Squadron (2) - Autocannons - 80

500 Points
-------------------

* HQ *

Company Command Squad - Chimera, Vox - 110

X Elites X

Stormtrooper Squad - Meltagun, Meltagun, Five additonal Stormtroopers - 185

Ratling Squad - Four additional Ratlings - 70

^ Troops ^

Vetran Squad - Grenadiers, Missle Launcher, Vox - 115

Vetran Squad - Demolitions, Flamer, Flamer, Vox - 115

Platoon Command Squad - Vox, Lascannon - 55
- Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Vox - 60
- Infantry Squad - Autocannon, Grenade Launcher Vox - 70

>> Fast Attack >>

Valkyrie Squadron (2) - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 220

• Heavy Support •

Leman Russ Battle Tank - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 170

1000 Points

----------------

That's right. A Lemas Russ in a 500 point army.

::And to be honest, it doesn't feel like I have enough troops. But hey, Fluff > Powergaming, and the 2000 point list should be neat.

Dammer
2009-07-31, 06:57 AM
Oh hey, statreport.
Also, question!
Can I use a platoon for my 500pts armylist?
As in, platoon command=HQ, and each inf squad is a seperate Troops choice?
Just that it feels a bit silly having a senior Company commander running around in a very small scale 500pts battle.

It should say on your codex what defines the minimum to compose an HQ slot in your army as well as the minimum to compose a troop slot.

Aha! Segwick got promoted? Epic to tell the tale of surviving the tank.

Dammer
2009-07-31, 06:59 AM
That's right. A Lemas Russ in a 500 point army.

::And to be honest, it doesn't feel like I have enough troops. But hey, Fluff > Powergaming, and the 2000 point list should be neat.

Ha dont worry I did that with my tau in an earlier test game. Though I don't know if that works with Impies.

Erloas
2009-07-31, 08:59 AM
Well since we have 3 chaos and 3 eldar I guess I'll go with Eldar. Its what I know, I just thought about the daemons because at the time we didn't have much for chaos.

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 09:38 AM
Eleven, extra lists can't hurt, but I think the only mandatory lists were 2 500s, and 2 1500s. Just in case you misread or something.

And I'll try to get some lists up in the near future, but it probably won't be today.

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 09:39 AM
Well since we have 3 chaos and 3 eldar I guess I'll go with Eldar. Its what I know, I just thought about the daemons because at the time we didn't have much for chaos.Awww, darn, there goes any chance for any different outcome than the Eldar totally dominating everyone else. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Lorn
2009-07-31, 09:46 AM
Just dropping in to say, please please nobody put any post-army-list-before-sunday deadline or anything up... I'm out until Sunday evening :p

Though, I only need to refine the hell out of three lists and make another, sooo yeah.

It's fun, how many men you can fit into 500 points :p

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 09:52 AM
Hey, the Vassal Megapack that they put together for their last hours supposedly has some additional terrain, other graphics (like the baneblade and some Eldar titan), etc.

Just in case any of you are in really soon and decide "I want that."

Eldan
2009-07-31, 10:06 AM
Hey, nice. Didn't think to check the site these last few days.

Bryn
2009-07-31, 11:33 AM
Reading the table, it looks like I've forgotten to mention my time zone. I'm in England, which means GMT UTC, except for daylight saving time. Taking DST into account I'm UTC+1. Also, I'll finalise my choice of army as Imperial Guard, albeit probably allied to some other force.

Regarding maps: I could draw some and also possibly update them periodically as armies move about the grid. However, if somebody's already drawn a map (or several) for this game, I might have missed it - Ctrl-F reveals nothing, but it could be a SPY.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6120/spymap.png
I think I'd see something like that, but he could be disguised as PLAIN TEXT!

So yeah, if somebody's already drawn a map, that's my excuse.
How big a map do we need? Something showing a sector, with many stars, or a small system, with a few planets?

Also, regarding grids... are we thinking of something like this?
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/156/mapmockup.png
(See Cheesegear's post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6609763&postcount=136) for explanation of the colours on the planet - if we end up fighting over multiple stars, this could be replaced with a star map)If I do end up making maps, the final thing will of course be much more detailed and polished :smallwink:

As a possible alternative, I propose some sort of graph, like so:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/734/mapmockupnodegraph.png
...but with many more nodes. This may lead to more natural-seeming movement without having a very complicated system, allows people to block off routes more easily (may not be a good thing), and it could also be easier to list the positions of everyone in a table if the vertices are numbered.

Apart from that, here's an initial test, which looks awful in the way of early tests:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4348/blendertest1.png - this would be rendered from above, with a larger area covered, polar ice caps at the top and bottom, vegetation scattered over it, the lighting would be fixed, and then the grid would be added over the top using Inkscape or the GIMP.

EleventhHour
2009-07-31, 11:39 AM
... :smallfrown:

Is there anything I can do decently? Honestly...

*depressed corner*

\/- Heh...

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 11:41 AM
Give up your life for the God-Emperor of Mankind?

Erloas
2009-07-31, 12:13 PM
Eldan next time you are updating the first post could you hop that o over 3 spaces in my name...

Are we posting lists here for verification before we start?

I should have some lists built in Vassal tonight, but I still haven't got to actually play a game. Looking over the program it seems straight forward enough, if only a bit more cumbersome to move things then on the table.

Is there a way to put people in a transport? I haven't found one, I'm wondering if we just pile them on top on the game table and call it good.

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 01:19 PM
Also, regarding grids... are we thinking of something like this?
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/156/mapmockup.png
(See Cheesegear's post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6609763&postcount=136) for explanation of the colours on the planet - if we end up fighting over multiple stars, this could be replaced with a star map)If I do end up making maps, the final thing will of course be much more detailed and polished :smallwink:

As a possible alternative, I propose some sort of graph, like so:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/734/mapmockupnodegraph.png
...but with many more nodes. This may lead to more natural-seeming movement without having a very complicated system, allows people to block off routes more easily (may not be a good thing), and it could also be easier to list the positions of everyone in a table if the vertices are numbered.

Apart from that, here's an initial test, which looks awful in the way of early tests:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4348/blendertest1.png - this would be rendered from above, with a larger area covered, polar ice caps at the top and bottom, vegetation scattered over it, the lighting would be fixed, and then the grid would be added over the top using Inkscape or the GIMP.Mmmm, those are awesome, Bryn (also, feeling honoured by being used in there :smallredface:). I like particularly the idea with the nodes. :smallsmile:

... :smallfrown:

Is there anything I can do decently? Honestly...

*depressed corner*Awww, why is that? :smallfrown:

Are we posting lists here for verification before we start? That was my understanding, aye.

Is there a way to put people in a transport? I haven't found one, I'm wondering if we just pile them on top on the game table and call it good.I believe it's handled pretty much as it would in a real game - leave the unit in the transport standing somewhere outside of the actual battlefield, and put them onto it when they disembark.

*putting lists together now*

Narazil
2009-07-31, 01:54 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably revise my 1500 point list, curse my luck.

VASSAL appearently hates me, and to prove it, a sceenshot:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4432/reserve.jpg

Entering Round 4, needed my Reserves badly.

(Yes, I'm aware I misspelled Tigurius)

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 02:34 PM
Alright, here'd be my lists. I hope I'm allowed to switch them around a bit, should it turn out that, in my utter noobishness, I've fabricated something that makes no sense at all. :smalleek:

500 Points A:
{table]Type|Composition|Equipment|Point Cost
HQ|Chaos Lord|Daemon Weapon|130
Troops|5 Chaos Space Marines|1 meltagun|100
Troops|5 Plague Marines|1 plasmaguns|130
Troops|5 Plague Marines|1 flamer|120
attached:|Chaos-Rhino|none|35
||
Total:|500[/table]

1500 Points A:
HQ|Chaos Lord|Daemon Weapon, Terminator armour|145
Elites|3 Chaos Terminators|Heavy flamer, lightning claw pair|105
Troops|10 Chaos Space Marines|Icon of Chaos Undivided, 1 meltagun, 1 plasmagun|185
Troops|7 Khornate Berzerkers, 1 Skull Champion|Powerfist|208
attached:|Chaos-Rhino|Additional Armour|50
Troops|6 Noise Marines|5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster|185
Troops|7 Plague Marines|2 plasmaguns|191
Fast Attack|8 Chaos Raptors, 1 Aspirant Champion|Icon of Tzeentch, 2 meltas; meltabombs|260
Heavy Support|5 Chaos Space Marine Havocs|1 lascannon, 3 missile launchers|170
||
Total:|1499[/table]

500 Points B:
HQ|Chaos Sorcerer|Mark of Slaanesh, Leash of Submission|125
Troops|10 Chaos Space Marines|Icon of Slaanesh, 2 meltaguns|190
||
Total:|500[/table]

1500 Points B:
HQ|Chaos Sorcerer|Mark of Slaanesh, Wings, Leash of Submission|145
Troops|10 Chaos Space Marines|Icon of Slaanesh, 2 flamers|180
attached:|Chaos-Rhino|none|35
Troops|10 Chaos Space Marines|Icon of Slaanesh, 2 meltaguns|190
Fast Attack|5 Chaos Raptors, 1 Aspirant Champion|Icon of Slaanesh, 2 meltaguns; lightning claw pair, meltabombs|205
Heavy Support|3 Obliterators|none|225
Heavy Support|Chaos Defiler|none|150
||
Total:|1500[/table]

Fluff yet to come. Essentially, the A-lists are a Black Legion warband, while the B-lists are the private forces of a renegade Slaanesh-aligned sorcerer allied with the Chaos Lord commanding the Black Legion forces, respectively. :smallcool:

Oh, and I'd be grateful if somebody could check whether I made no mistakes. :smallredface:
EDIT: Matter of fact, I did, forgot the Havocs in the 1500-A list. >_<
EDIT2: Made some slight modifications to the 1500-B list, because I had forgotten ordnance weapons disallowed shooting anything else when designing it. :smallredface:

Eldan
2009-07-31, 03:32 PM
Eldan next time you are updating the first post could you hop that o over 3 spaces in my name...

Wow. I managed to read your name wrong all that time.
Sorry for that.

Eldan
2009-07-31, 04:23 PM
1500 Points, List 1:

Farseer, Guide, singing spear: 78 pts.

4 Striking Scorpions, exarch, scorpion's claw, shadowstrike. 127 pts.

4 Fire Dragons, exarch, fire pike 100 pts.

4 Harlequin, death jester, shadowseer, 4 harlequin's kisses, fusion pistol 174 pts.

6 Pathfinders 144 pts.

6 Rangers 114 pts.

3 Jetbikes, Shuriken cannon 76 pts.

5 Dire Avengers, exarch, twin catapult, 89 pts.

4 Swooping Hawks, exarch, sun rifle, skyleap 147 pts.

4 Dark Reapers 140 pts.

Wraithlord, 2 flame throwers, shuriken cannon, scatter laser 120 pts.

Falcon, bright lance, holofieds, spirit stones, 190 pts.

Narazil
2009-07-31, 05:36 PM
Any rules on Special Characters?
I've played Sallies for decades, but never actually used Vulkan..

Steilos
2009-07-31, 06:02 PM
Cadian Regiment MXVII's Armoured Precision Unit Total Points: 500
HQ
Company Command Squad
Captain Girelt, Company Commander
Flak Armour
Frag Grenades and Melta Bombs and Krak Grenades
Senior Officer
4 Guardsmen w/ Laspistol + Close Combat Weapon
1 w/ Regimental Standard
1 w/ Vox-Caster
Dedicated Chimera Transport “Emperor's Wheels”

Troops
Veteran Squad
Sergeant Michael
7 Veterans
1 w/ Plasma Gun
Heavy Weapons Team w/ Lascannon
Grenadiers doctrine (All have carapace armour)

Veteran Squad
Sergeant Alan
9 Veterans

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Army Name Cadian Regiment MXVII: also known as “Who?” Total Points: 500

HQ
Company Command Squad
Captain Markus, Company Commander
Carapace Armour
Plasma Pistol
Power Weapon
Frag + Krak Grenades and Melta Bombs
Senior Officer
4 Veterans
1 w/ Platoon Standard
1 w/ Vox-Caster
Krak Grenades
Carapace Armour

Troops
Veteran Squad
Sergeant Christov
9 Veterans
1 w/ Plasma Gun
2 w/ Meltagun
1 w/ Vox-Caster
Grenadiers doctrine (All have carapace armour)

Veteran Squad
Sergeant “Bob” Michelangelo Raphael Stavoros
Commissar Yannis
Stubborn, Summary Execution
7 Veterans
1 Heavy Weapons team w/ Heavy Bolter
1 w/ Meltagun
1 w/ Vox-Caster

Fast Attack
Armoured Sentinel Squadron
2 Armoured Sentinels (Callsigns: Target and Strangelove)
1 w/ Lascannon
Extra Armour

That's the 2 500 pointers.

littlebottom
2009-07-31, 06:24 PM
im kinda tempted.... with a tyranid army, with 6 carnafexs in it :smallbiggrin: 1500 point army i think it is.... ill think about this one.... unless its too late anyway?

Dorizzit
2009-07-31, 06:51 PM
Any rules on Special Characters?
I've played Sallies for decades, but never actually used Vulkan..

No go. We're not allowed any special characters.

Dammer
2009-07-31, 07:09 PM
Eldan could you please edit the table again, and put my Vassal Nickname as Dammer rather than kevin-- there seems to be another one running around as I noticed last night after playing against Penguinizer.

@Penguinizer: An awesome game there P! What a surprise ending.

Dorizzit
2009-07-31, 08:08 PM
What happened?

Dammer
2009-07-31, 09:10 PM
Campaign Army list

1500 pts Army A (The School of teeth)

HQ 127 pts
• Commander with rocket launcher, & Plasma Rifle, Shield, Cybernetic Fire control system, & 2 Pulse drones /w Drone controller

Standard 300 pts

• Firewarrior Squad (Execution Squad) – 12 Firewarriors
• Firewarrior Squad (Whitey Squad) – 12 Firewarriors
• Firewarrior Squad (The “Pathfinders”) – 6 Firewarriors

Fast 900 pts

Piranha with Pair of gun drones & Fusion Blaster, Jamming System & Bait System
• Squadron Red 4 Pirahnas
• Squadron Gold 4 Pirahnas
• Squadron Blue 4 Pirahnas

Heavy 165 pts
• Hammerhead Battletank + Railgun & Pair of Pulse Cannons (not twin linked), Jamming System, Fire Control System, Improved Targeting
Total : 1494 / 1500 pts

1500 Army List B (The Mop up Crew)

HQ 119 pts
• Commander with rocket launcher, & Fusion Blaster, Shield, Cybernetic Fire control system, & 2 Pulse drones /w Drone controller

Standard 240 pts

• Firewarrior Squad (Execution Squad) – 12 Firewarriors
• Firewarrior Squad (Whitey Squad) – 12 Firewarriors

Elite 392 pts
• 3 Crisis with Plasma Rifle, Rocket Magazine, Fire Control System, team leader and ceremonial ceremonial knife bonding
• 3 Crisis with Plasma Rifle, Rocket Magazine, Fire Control System, team leader and ceremonial ceremonial knife bonding

Fast 140

•5x Pathfinders, Dedicated Tau Devilfish

Heavy 605 pts
• Hammerhead Battletank+ Railgun & Pair of Pulse Cannons (not twin linked), Jamming System, Fire Guide System, Improved Targeting
• Hammerhead Battletank+ Railgun & Pair of Pulse Cannons (not twin linked) , Jamming System, Fire Guide System, Improved Targeting
• Broadsides team, team leader upgrade, 2xShield drone, 3xStabilisor system

Total 1496 / 1500 pts

500 pt Army A (The spearhead)

HQ 127 pts
• Commander with rocket launcher, & Plasma Rifle, Shield, Cybernetic Fire control system, & 2 Pulse drones /w Drone controller

Standard 200 pts

• Firewarrior Squad - 10 Firewarriors
• Firewarrior Squad - 10 Firewarriors

Heavy 165 pts
• Hammerhead Battletank + Railgun & Pair of Pulse Cannons (not twin linked), Jamming System, Fire Control System, Improved Targeting

Total: 494pts / 500 pts

500 pt Army B (The Tactical)

HQ 102 pts
• Commander with rocket launcher, & Plasma Rifle, Shield

Standard 120 pts

• Firewarrior Squad - 6 Firewarriors
• Firewarrior Squad - 6 Firewarriors

Elite 276 pts

• 3x Ghosts +1 fusion blaster

Total: 498pts / 500 pts

That's the Lists A & B 1500, and Lists A & B 500.
Looking forward to more challenging games!

Cheesegear
2009-07-31, 09:55 PM
im kinda tempted.... with a tyranid army, with 6 carnafexs in it :smallbiggrin: 1500 point army i think it is.... ill think about this one.... unless its too late anyway?

6 Carnifexes (and 2 Hive Tyrants) seems like a good idea, but it's not. It's really not. Not in 5th Ed. with the new 'Only Troops Win Games' rules.

...I don't suppose you guys will let me take a Stenguard Veteran Squad Deathwatch Kill Team? I am sad.

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 10:48 PM
Winterwind, in list 1500 A, do your Noise Marines have sonic weapons?

Narazil, remember, the Vassal dice roller is secretly a farseer.

Cheesegear, I'd say no Kill Team in general lists, but would be ok for 1-off special matches (I smell xeno assassination), unless you REALLY want one.

Erloas
2009-07-31, 11:06 PM
Well here is my first 1500 point list. This is pretty much the standard list I run, give or take a few minor changes.
{table]|models||total
HQ|||
Farseer|1|doom, fortune, SStone|130
Autarch|1|jetbike, mandiblaster, laser lance, fusion gun|140
Troops|||
Jetbikes|3|shuriken cannon|76
Guardians|10|SCannon|85
Dire avengers|10|bladestorm, dual catapults|152
Elite|||
striking scorpions|10|Claw, stalker, shadow strike|212
Banshees|9|executioner, war shout, acrobatics|176
Fast Attack|||
Vyper Bike|1|SL|60
Vyper Bike|1|SL|60
Heavy Support|||
War Walker|1|spirit stones, 2xSL|65
War Walker|1|spirit stones, 2xSL|65
Transport|||
Wave Serpent|1|SS. TL-SL|125
|55|Total|1498[/table]

I'm pretty sure I have it saved in Vassal correctly too. I'll have to try playing someone tomorrow morning and see how it goes. So if anyone has time for a game about 10 hours from now, I'll give it a shot.

My other 1500 point list will probably be using a lot of stuff I don't have the models for. (or at least put together). Not sure what I'm going to do at 500... not a lot of options at that point.

edit: here are the 500 point lists, nothing special here
{table]HQ|||
Farseer|1|doom|80
Troops|||
Dire avengers|8|bladestorm, dual catapults|128
Elite|||
Banshees|8|executioner, acrobatics|155
Heavy Support|||
War Walker|1|2xSL|60
|21|Total|499
[/table]
{table]HQ|||
Autarch|1|jetbike, mandiblaster, fusion gun|130
Elite|||
striking scorpions|9|biting blade, shadow strike|181
Troops|||
Dire avengers|8|dual catapults|113
|21|Total|500
[/table]

Cheesegear
2009-07-31, 11:19 PM
Cheesegear, I'd say no Kill Team in general lists, but would be ok for 1-off special matches (I smell xeno assassination), unless you REALLY want one.

Maybe you misunderstood...Since both the Daemonhunters and Witchhunters books are woefully outdated, it doesn't take the reprinted SM/IG codecies into account when determining what units I can steal take from those lists.

Except that Deathwatch hasn't been reprinted for 5th Ed 'for general Imperial usage', and Sternguard have, for Space Marines only. Given that Sternguard Veteran Squads are identical to Deathwatch Teams (excluding the kick-a* Heavy Bolter option) it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

In any case, I wasn't banking my Army List on said unit, I just thought it'd be really cool to have all three factions of the Inquisition represented. I have a really awesome idea planned out, but, it would take more than 1500 points which is all anyone seems to want to play. :smallfrown:

I'll have my lists up very soon.

Dorizzit
2009-07-31, 11:28 PM
Lists ready. Critique is welcome and encouraged; I'm still not very good and would like to get better.

1500 point army 1

HQ

Sha Narasta, Hierophant of the Seven Paths: 1 Farseer, who is equipped with Guide, Doom, Mind War, and Spirit Stones, and a retinue of 3 Warlocks, 1 with Conceal, 1 with Enhance, and 1 with Destructor – 235 points

Elites

The Screaming Blades: 7 Howling Banshees, and an Exarch with Mirrorswords and War Shout – 155

The Troupe of the End: 5 Harlequins, 1 with a Fusion Pistol, 1 Troupe Master with Power Weapon, and 1 Death Jester – 166 points

The Divine Flame: 4 Fire Dragons, and an Exarch with a Dragon’s Breath Flamer, in Wave Serpent with a Shuriken Cannon – 192 points

Troops

The Azure Wind: 8 Dire Avengers, and an Exarch with two shuriken catapults and Bladestorm – 130 points

The Foundation: 15 Guardians, and a Shuriken Cannon – 120 points

Fast Attack

The Cry of the Wind: 6 Swooping Hawks, and an Exarch with a Sunrifle – 174 points

Heavy Support

The Reapers: 3 War Walkers, 2 with 2 Shuriken Cannons, 1 with a Bright Lance and a Shuriken Cannon – 145 points

The Ocean of Fire: 1 Fire Prism, which is equipped with Vectored Engines and Holo-Fields – 170 points

1500 point army 2

HQ

Jian-Ta, Master of the Stars: 1 Autarch, who is equipped with a Jetbike, Mandiblasters, Laser Lance, and Fusion Gun – 140 points

Arieka, Eye of the Warpath: 1 Farseer, who is equipped with Fortune and Runes of Warding – 100 points

Elites

The Flames of Wrath: 4 Fire Dragons, and an Exarch with a Firepike, in a Wave Serpent with Star Cannons – 225 points

The Jade Death: 6 Striking Scorpions, and an Exarch with a Scorpions Claw and Shadowstrike – 159 points

The Ensouled: 5 Wraithguard, and a Warlock with Enhance – 215 points

Troops

The Blades of Dawn: 16 Guardians, and a Bright Lance – 150 points

The Blades of the Stars: 15 Guardians, and a Star Cannon – 145 points

Heavy Support

The Shadowed Lords: 2 Dark Reapers, and an Exarch with a Tempest Launcher and Fast Shot – 157 points

The Void Claw (Left): 2 D-Cannons – 100 points

The Void Claw (Right): 2 D-Cannons – 100 points

500 point army 1

HQ

Sarda: 1 Autarch with Wings, a Shuriken Catapult, and a Power Sword – 102 points

Troops

The Wind: 10 Guardians with a Scatter Laser – 95 points

The Earth: 10 Guardians with a Bright Lance – 110 points

Heavy Support

The Earthshakers: 2 Vibro Cannons – 100 points

The Storm of Blades: 2 War Walkers, 1 with a Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon, the other with 2 Shuriken Cannons – 90 points

500 point army 2

HQ

Nasir: 1 Farseer, who is equipped with Doom – 80 points

Elites

The Stalkers: 5 Striking Scorpions – 80 points

Troops

The Hunters: 5 Pathfinders – 115 points

The Seekers: 10 Guardians and a Star Cannon – 105 points

Heavy Support

The Dawn Striders: 2 War Walkers with Star Cannons and Shuriken Cannons – 120 points

Narazil
2009-08-01, 12:00 AM
Okay. Back on Page 3, I said I was going Raven Guard, so that's the plan.

First 1500 list:

HQ:
Captain, Power Fist, Jump Pack - 150

Elites:
5 Assault Terminators - 200
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Redeemer, MM 250

Techmarine, 50 points

Troops:
10 Tactical Marines, Missile Launcher / Flamer, Power Fist - 190
Dedicated Trans: Rhino, 35

10 Scouts, ML, Camo Cloaks - 180

Fast Attack:
10 Assault Marines, Power Fist, Flamer, 225

2 Attack Bikes, 2x MM 100

3 Attack Bikes, 3x HB 120

Never tried it, but should work. In theory.

Next, two 500-point lists. It's very hard to vary as SM, but I've tried.

HQ:
Librarian 100 [The Avenger and Might Of The Ancients]

Troops:
10 Tactical Marines, ML / Flamer, Power Fist, 195
- Transport: Rhino. 35

5 Tactical Marines, 90
- Transport: Razorback 40
- Lascannon and TL Plasma Gun 35

HQ:
Captain 100

Troops:
10 Tactical Marines, MM/F, Power Sword, 185
- Transport: Drop Pod 35

10 Tactical Marines, Lascannon 180

Copper8642
2009-08-01, 12:17 AM
Cheesegear, sounds fine. Do as you please.

Narazil, I believe you to have 1 Troop choice. Accident?

I'm hoping to have 4 lists within the next 48 hours. Question: Avatar in 500 point list too cheesy?

Narazil
2009-08-01, 12:25 AM
No no, it's completely on purpose. I'm rolling with 1320 points, too.
:smallredface:

Edit: And yea, it's a bit cheesy. I tried to leave the cheese in the fridge. I mean, I'm bringing Assault Marines.

Edit again: And another 1500 list done.

HQ:
Captain, Power Fist - 125

Elites:
Dreadnought, MM/HF 115
Drop Pod 35

Dreadnought, MM/HF 115
Drop Pod 35

Troops:
10 Tactical, ML/F, Power Fist 195
Rhino 35

10 Tactical, MM/F, Power Fist 195
Drop Pod 35

5 Scouts, Power Fist 100

Fast Attack:
Land Speeder Storm, HF 60

Land Speeder Squadron, 3x MM 180

Heavy Support:
Predator, 2x HB 85

Predator, 2x HB 85

Predator, TL Las 105

Cheesegear
2009-08-01, 01:05 AM
I tried to leave the cheese in the fridge.

Well, that is until I got out. It was cold in there. :smallamused:

Narazil
2009-08-01, 01:07 AM
Well, that is until I got out. It was cold in there. :smallamused:
Ha. Ha. Ha. That's really funny.

Winterwind
2009-08-01, 04:25 AM
Winterwind, in list 1500 A, do your Noise Marines have sonic weapons?As it says in their equipment list, they do. Five Sonic Blasters and one Blastmaster.

Oh yeah, if I screwed up something - not necessarily in terms of legality, but in terms of effectivity - I'd be glad if somebody could tell me so. :smallredface:

Also, how does one save/load armies in Vassal? I tried fumbling around with this Logfile function, but I don't seem to be getting it right...

EleventhHour
2009-08-01, 04:30 AM
I just keep them in a Notepad until I need them.

:smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2009-08-01, 04:47 AM
But then you have to pick all the models one by one at the beginning of every game again. Is there no way to have Vassal save and load the models chosen for the army?

Narazil
2009-08-01, 05:49 AM
There's a picture of a.. Camera? On your Player 1/2 grey sheets. I *think* that saves the army.

Copper8642
2009-08-01, 08:24 AM
Nope, tried that, doesn't work.

So, now, for Saving Your Vassal Armies With Copper8642!
*Wild applause*

1.Open Vassal and get into the 40K module.
2.Start a new game OFFLINE.
3.Set up your entire army in slot 1 or 2.
4.Go to File.
5.Begin Logfile.
6.Clone your entire army, then move the clones to the right a fair distance.
7.End logfile.

8.Once you are in a game, go to File.
9.Load continuation.
10.Hit the "Step Forward Through Logfile" button once or twice.
11.When it asks to Start New Logfile, say No.

Viola.

Steps 4 and 5 can be moved up to be before step 3, then step 6 ignored, except then you have to hit "Step Forward Through Logfile" like, a million times, as opposed to twice.

Winterwind
2009-08-01, 10:02 AM
Mmm, alright, I'll give that a try. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2009-08-01, 10:31 AM
Anyone up for a game tonight? Making a few adjustments to my 1500 pts. list I want to test.

Bryn
2009-08-01, 02:05 PM
My 500pt lists, the 1500pt lists to follow:

-=[ARMY LIST: 500pts A]=-

<HQ> 120
Company Cmd Squad 65
o Base cost 50
o Vox-caster 5
o Grnd lnchr 5
o Grnd lnchr 5

Chimera 55
o Base cost 55
o Heavy bolter free

<TROOPS> 250
Veteran Squad 90
o Base cost 70
o Shotguns free
o Flamer (Χ3) 15
o Vox-caster 5

Chimera 55
o Base cost 55
o Heavy flamer free
o Heavy flamer free

Veteran Squad 105
o Base cost 70
o Meltagun(Χ3) 30
o Vox-caster 5

<FAST ATTACK> 130
Vendetta Gunship 130
o Base cost 130

TOTAL POINTS: 500
MODEL COUNT: 28

VARIANT: Replace Vendetta Gunship with Hellhound Flame Tank.

-=[ARMY LIST: 500pts B]=-

<HQ> 50
Company Command Squad 50
o Base cost 50

<TROOPS> 450
INFANTRY PLATOON 275
Platoon Command Squad 35
o Base cost 30
o Vox-caster 5

Infantry Squad 70
o Base cost 50
o Vox-caster 5
o Mssl lnchr 15

Infantry Squad 70
o Base cost 50
o Vox-caster 5
o Mssl lnchr 15

Conscripts 100
o Base cost 80
o 5 cnscrpts 20

INFANTRY PLATOON 175
Platoon Command Squad 35
o Base cost 30
o Vox-caster 5

Infantry Squad 70
o Base cost 50
o Vox-caster 5
o Mssl lnchr 15

Infantry Squad 70
o Base cost 50
o Vox-caster 5
o Mssl lnchr 15
TOTAL POINTS: 500
MODEL COUNT: 76

VARIANT: Replace missile launchers with 15 more conscripts.

Now for some more work on maps (anyone who wants to help, black and white silhouettes of imaginary continents would be really useful! :smallsmile:)

How many planets will the campaign cover?

Eldan
2009-08-01, 04:05 PM
No idea on that. Ask the fluff people. Well, I think registration's over now.

Everyone: Please state your opinion on the following:
Should we run with three teams, composed of Eldar, Chaos and Imperials, with more or less strange auxillaries each, should we add a fourth team, team 1 Tau army and many, many auxillaries or should we make several smaller teams of about 3 armies each.

Timarvay
2009-08-01, 04:21 PM
I'd do three teams, personally.

Either way, be sure to arrange it so each team has a range of time zones. Wouldn't want everyone in one region to be on the same team and have nobody to play against, now would we?

Eldan
2009-08-01, 04:32 PM
Oh, and personally, I'd prefer limiting this to one planet: otherwise, it brings up the old "When they have interplanetary spaceships around, why aren't they bombarding" question. Of course, we still can have orbital drops in pods or the like.

Dorizzit
2009-08-01, 04:35 PM
One planet seems preferable to me as well. I'm voting for three teams.

Penguinizer
2009-08-01, 05:02 PM
I agree with both three teams and one planet. One thing I do have to note again is that I will not be home next week. So I'll have to join the campaign a bit late.

Cheesegear
2009-08-01, 06:13 PM
"When they have interplanetary spaceships around, why aren't they bombarding."

The same reason they never do; They want the planet/s intact. Looks like someone just completely ignored my campaign plot in which the entire Solar (Eldan) System is Xeno weapon or device.
And the Inquisition have Bombardments in their army list; So they can Bombard if they want...And I have been in the few games that I've played.

Anyway...I've been on Vassal everyday during random times (i.e; Anytime I like, so the GMT+10 isn't a factor), and, thus far I've only seen two fellow Playgrounders the whole week, both last night. Neither of whom were up for a game. I was unpleasantly surprised that I could even go a whole day (I wasn't at work or at Uni) without seeing a Playgrounder.

So far I've played three and half (:smallmad:) games - over the span of a whole week, mind - and, I must say that I hate Vassal. I was kind of under the impression that an electronic interface would make the game quicker and easier to run...It doesn't.

So...Limited-to-no players...And certainly no decent players (what gives people on the internet the Right to be Douchebags?), although, they were randoms for PUGs, not friendly neighbourhood Playgrounders. Couple that with a shoddy interface (If it was decent; it would be more popular than it is. If it was popular and/or actually useful; GW would be a lot more active in shutting it down...So that says a lot) and absurdly long game-times means that my play-experience has been terrible and I'll be dropping out of this campaign.

Again, my terrible play experiences were not on the opposing end of another Playgrounder, but, couple that with the fact that Playgrounders just...Aren't around; Leads me to believe that I shouldn't bother.

I thought I should say something instead of dropping off for no apparent reason.

Copper8642
2009-08-01, 08:45 PM
We'll miss you cheesegear. Sorry, I've actually been on a lot, we must have just not seen eachother.

I have met a share of douchebags, to be fair, but also some really nice people. And have played a few playgrounders.

I vote either the 3 teams way (Eldar, Chaos, Imperials, all with auxiliaries), or the 4 teams (Eldar, Chaos, Imperials, Tau with strange auxiliaries). I vote against many small teams.

I'd say 1 planet is fine, I'd still prefer more than one, just because as Cheese said, you don't annihilate a planet you want to take.

EDITED: I've decided, at least 1500 pts-wise, to have a Guardian/Wraith/Harlequin/Ranger/vehicle based list, then an Aspect Warrior based list. I just can't seem to get all the Aspect Warriors into the list (unless they are ALL minimum sized, and frankly, they would die really quick). And I don't want to leave anybody out. Hmph.
Ok, so I got an Aspect Warrior list (still led by a Farseer, as I like them more than Autarchs and just can't find the 15 points to make him an Avatar. I'll post the lists after someone else posts so I don't have to edit this again and don't double post).

Winterwind
2009-08-02, 08:27 AM
Three teams sounds right. No preference regarding the amount of planets.

Sorry to hear that, Cheesegear. We'll miss you.
Regarding the lack of Playgrounders, I believe most of us do not hang around waiting for someone to play with, but instead arrange games using PMs and our threads here.

Narazil
2009-08-02, 08:30 AM
Three teams sounds right. No preference regarding the amount of planets.

Sorry to hear that, Cheesegear. We'll miss you.
Regarding the lack of Playgrounders, I believe most of us do not hang around waiting for someone to play with, but instead arrange games using PMs and our threads here.
Agreed. I never hang around VASSAL for more than half an hour: I hate playing with people I don't semi-know, and I hate the "up for 5000 point apo?" "up for Necromunda?!" "play with me plx" PM's you get.

Copper8642
2009-08-02, 08:33 AM
I do actually just wait around for people. I am on right now, for that matter. Narazil just showed up, actually.

1500A: This army is made of a Farseer, and then only Aspect Warriors.

Farseer, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Fortune. 140 pts.

6 Howling Banshees, Exarch has Executioner, Acrobatic, War Shout. 128 pts.

6 Striking Scorpions, Exarch has Scorpion’s Claw, Shadowstrike, Stalker. 148 pts.

5 Fire Dragons, Exarch has Firepike, Tank Hunters, and Crack Shot. 120 pts.
-Wave Serpent, T-L Eldar Missile Launcher. 120 pts.

7 Dire Avengers, Exarch with Diresword and Shuriken Pistol, Defend. 121 pts.

7 Dire Avengers, Exarch with 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm. 116 pts.

3 Shining Spears, Exarch has Star Lance. 157 pts.

6 Warp Spiders, Exarch has Spinneret Rifle. 149 pts.

5 Swooping Hawks, Exarch has Sunrifle, Skyleap, Intercept. 152 pts.

3 Dark Reapers, Exarch has Tempest Launcher, Crack Shot. 147 pts.

1500B: This army has no Aspect Warriors, instead using... almost everything else.
Farseer, Spirit Stones, Runes of Witnessing, Doom, Guide. 130 pts.

5 Harlequins with Harlequin’s Kisses, 2 Fusion Pistols, Troupe Master has Power Weapon, Death Jester, Shadowseer has Harlequin’s Kiss. 248 pts.

10 Guardians, Eldar Missile Launcher, Warlock with Conceal. 140 pts.

6 Pathfinders. 144 pts.

10 Guardians, Bright Lance, Spiritseer with Conceal. 156 pts.

3 Jetbike Guardians, Jetbike Warlock has Destructor. 121 pts.

Vyper, Eldar Missile Launcher. 45 pts.

Vyper, Scatter Laser. 50 pts.

2 D-cannons, Warlock has Embolden. 130 pts.

3 War Walkers, 2 with 2 Scatter Lasers, 1 with 2 Star Cannons. 200 pts.

Wraithlord, 2 Flamers, Scatter Laser, Eldar Missile Launcher. 135 pts.

Timarvay
2009-08-02, 11:34 AM
You can do Necromunda on Vassal?

This intrigues me.

Eldan
2009-08-02, 12:23 PM
If someone wants a game, I'll be on in the next hour or so. If no one shows up in that time, I'll disconnect and do something else.

Dorizzit
2009-08-02, 04:15 PM
Necromunda...?

Lorn
2009-08-02, 04:35 PM
Necromunda...?
Gang warfare in the 41st millenium.

Anyway. As far as teams/maps go, I'm all for a node-based map - just a bit more interesting. Perhaps give a few really important nodes some mechanical bonus as well - for example, someone controlling a central city might get +1 to all reserve rolls played on that map.

Teams - Imperials, Chaos, Tau + others - with some potential infighting... if we can get it working.

Imperial and Eldar are allied together to try and stop Chaos doing something Chaosy.

Chaos is trying to do something Chaosy.

Tau are trying to expand.

Perhaps a winning team, and then rankings within the teams. Eldar don't trust Imperials and vice versa. Chaos are Chaosy. I can see Traitor Guard being accidentally ambushed by their own side. Tau and company could have pretty big diplomatic issues - "I don't think using my men as a meat shield is for the Greater Good, and your Etherealomones don't work on me." *Powerfist to the face.*

Though, to do this we'd need some pretty major ways to talk offline... possibly just swap MSN addresses, or use the PM system.

So, in short - there'd always be three factions. But in these would be sub-factions decided as we go, perhaps with players trying to take down other players on their team or ally with someone else for a massed assault or a big defence.

It'd probably be far too complicated, but it's worth consideration if anyone can make it work.

In terms of how people win, each node is given a points value - 1 to 5, perhaps. 1 for really pointless bits. Small settlements and the like. 5 for really important bits - huge Chaos temples, hives and so on. Maybe have things worth differing amounts to different armies.

For example, a middle location:

Hive #097
A towering construct of plated metal and permacrete with a population well into the millions, Hive #097 - nicknamed Hive Impregnable by the stalwart Imperial defenders - offers great advantages to whoever controls it.
Chaos - 4
The hive is heavily populated, and as such will offer a huge amount of sacrificial victims or converts. It will also serve effectively as a bastion against the Imperial and Tau forces.
Imperial - 5
The hive is a welcome bastion for the men of the Imperial Guard, and contains enough landing pads to feasibly land most of a Space Marine Chapter. It is also one of the four main Imperial Guard recruitment centres on the planet, and possibly the most important, with the returning veterans revered more so than community leaders in some areas of the hive. The backlash for an enemy force capturing this hive, with so many of the men on the planet recruited from it, would lead to a huge hit on morale.
Tau - 3
The Tau have little to no need for the inhabitants of the hive, seeing it as instead a powerful bastion and perhaps a few converts to the Greater Good.

Of course, this could be made even MORE annoyingly complicated by putting really big hives as REALLY huge... maybe each one has about six nodes on the outside, three on the next layer and then one in the middle, with differing terrain for each one (using a fixed map) and so on.

I'm going to stop typing before I end up writing fifteen pages on stuff that is likely to be overcomplicated :p Heh.