PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds with Thick Hides [3.5]

Seventh Dwarf
2009-07-28, 09:41 AM
The players in the campaign I DM are far beyond the level where regular, run of the mill kobolds would be appropriate. I love the little fellows though, and would miss the conniving creatures were they not present.

While I could just give them class levels, my PCs have had enough of that trick. Instead, I am considering giving the kobolds a bit of a makeover and giving them damage reduction, something like DR 10/-. What also might be fun is to give them magic bullets for their slings - maybe electrical discharge on contact with metal armor or fragmentation bullets to make the casters step lively.

I would appreciate some thoughts on how to evaluate CR of a creature when you (a) give them special abilities like DR/- or (b) give them magic items that significantly increase their power. My goal is to provide a level appropriate encounter and not over-reward or under-reward on xp.

For those who wish to comment on how CR is a horrible way to gauge encounter level or reward xp, please refrain.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-28, 09:44 AM
Don't make it DR 10/-. This ups them to a CR 3, at most, but they become LA +2 because of it.

They all ready have a Natural Armor bonus. Just make some Kobold NPCs for them to fight, and you'll see how high their AC can get.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-28, 09:50 AM
I think there are some feats in Dragon Magic to increase natural armor or something like that.

Or was it Races fo the Dragon? I'm always getting those two mixed up.

Glimbur
2009-07-28, 10:07 AM
There's a Monster Manual feat for Improved Natural Armor. Requires some con, +1 NA, stackable.

Have you considered miss chance for them? If they are led by a bard or a sorcerer it makes sense to pre-buff them. Buffs can make an encounter scarier.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 10:08 AM
Tucker's Kobolds perhaps?

Farlion
2009-07-28, 10:19 AM
Tucker's Kobolds perhaps?

Oh yes! Go for it!

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

Seventh Dwarf
2009-07-28, 11:16 AM
I was looking for the easy way out as DM, but the points made are good ones. Tucker's Kobolds are the way to go.

bosssmiley
2009-07-28, 02:19 PM
Use the big kobolds instead. You know, draconians? dragonborn? Whatever they're called.

Or apply the half-dragon template across the board for great hilarity. :smallamused:

Mongoose87
2009-07-28, 02:58 PM
Oh yes! Go for it!

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

*tear*

I love you, man.

Set
2009-07-28, 03:51 PM
Use the big kobolds instead. You know, draconians? dragonborn? Whatever they're called.

Or apply the half-dragon template across the board for great hilarity. :smallamused:

That's the ticket. Buff them up to dwarf-like builds, and use Blackscale Lizardfolk stats. Have the leaders be Large creatures, with a stooped posture as they are degenerating into quadrupeds, and make them 8 HD+.

'Normal' Kobolds could be scattered among the encounter, representing the 'children' of these advanced mutated creatures, and using harrying tactics (alchemical missiles, gangup tactics, traps, traps, traps) to help their bigger relatives against the adventurers.

To play up the inhuman nature of this mutant Kobold society, have the Large semi-quadrupeds occasionally grab and *eat* one of their Small Kobold kin as a pick-me-up during battle, and perhaps even gaining some benefit from doing so, such as recharging a breath weapon (of acid) or restoring some hit points.