PDA

View Full Version : Catacomb's of the Scion

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 10:37 AM
Ireth. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=141641) Kirrik
Justinian, Tiefling Malconvoker. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=141997) Gnorman
Paladin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=28077) HereticNox
Colin Varskez (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=142047) Croverus

A catacomb is an underground cemetery consisting of passages and tunnels with rooms and recesses leading off them for burial chambers. Catacombs can be found under old churches, under castles, and other places where the dead are revered.

Unfortunately, catacombs have an unfortunate tendency to serve as "breeding" grounds for undead activity. This has become especially true for the catacomb that has come to be called the Catacomb of the Scion. Off the beaten track buried beneath the old ruins of Molthreim castle it has become a constant source of fear for the surrounding towns. You set out upon the orad to the ruined castle to put an end to the undead scourge once and for all.

Having trecked towards the ruins of Molthreim for 3 days now you finally see the old ruins for the first time. The road you are walking down continues onwards to the north but a path leads off of it and up the hills to your right. A mile up this path it branches again, one path leading off to the lift to the top of an old barrow mound, the other path leading onwards to the ruins themselves, a few old columns and rock formations that give a vague impression that perhaps some time long ago a building of grandeur was built here. It is midnight and were it not for a cloudless sky and a full moon your vision would be severely reduced. As it is the night is warm and eerily quiet. You stand at the Milestone of the road placed next to the path up. Dry blood stains its surface and the number upon it is damaged beyond recognition. Dare you continue down this path?

Gnorman
2009-07-29, 01:07 AM
Justinian stood as regally and proudly as his rather limited frame would allow him to and studied the stones and crumbled monoliths along the side of the path.

Hmph. I do so despise these crusty old fortifications. They're always hiding some foul undead beastie or another. Well, fellows? Shall we continue on our ostensible journey? After all, I do believe someone's paying us for this, and I certainly wouldn't want them to miss out on their money's worth.

HereticNox
2009-07-29, 09:31 AM
Even in the dim light of the full moon, Regulus seems to be slightly illuminated. His features are handsome, and his eyes kind. His armor polished to a mirror like finish reflects the moonlight slightly.

"There is no doubt we must continue our journey. No matter the danger to ourselves.
Walking up to the sign, Regulus closely inspects it even sniffing it. Hoping to discern some information
Now is this blood from the living or from some mindless undead?"

Jair Barik
2009-07-29, 11:14 AM
The blood is quite old. It is impossible to tell what left it but from the colour and the way it has dried you can tell it is most likely human (from your previous adventuring experience)

Croverus
2009-07-30, 11:20 AM
Colin leans on his spear, looking around at the bleakness of the place. He had joined the group to give his services as a Healer and diplomat. He really disliked undead and was eager to clean out another nest of them.

We should hurry and put the abominations to rest. Their perverse existance makes my skin crawl.

Gnorman
2009-08-04, 04:25 AM
Fine by me. I don't want to spend any more time here than you do. Undead give me the creeps.

With that, Justinian carefully crept up the path, cautious and ready for any enemies to show their faces.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 04:47 AM
Asyou ascend the path a creature flies out of the ground. Skeletal in appearance it wears a long flowing black robe and weilds a scythe that's head is made of dark pulsating energy

"Go back mortals! Leave this place or be cursed to stay here for eternity!!!" the creature then disappears back into the ground from whence it came

Gnorman
2009-08-04, 04:54 AM
Pffft. I've seen worse. Come on, now. Surely the threats of a bag of bones with poor fashion sense don't intimidate you?

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 08:08 AM
"Evil,...Our journey must not be delayed. We must scourge this evil from this land." Continuing his march undetered, "I now know Heironeous purpose in sending me to this land. This abomination has been marked by Heironeous for destruction, and I will be his sword."

Croverus
2009-08-04, 09:07 AM
Colin follows the others, staying in the back of the group, glancing behind him now and then to make sure nothing nasty catches them from behind. He holds the spear as if it were a walking stick, keeping oen hand free incase something jumps out at them.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 10:37 AM
Remember, don't read my spoilers unless their addressed to you!

What did I just say?:smallamused:

[roll0] Kirrik Init[roll1]
[roll2]Gnorman Init[roll3]
[roll4]HereticNox Init[roll5]
[roll6]Croverus Init[roll7]
[roll8]ER Init[roll9]

Adeen
2009-08-04, 10:47 AM
Ireth speaks up finally, after discerning the situation. "A meaningless threat at best. Coin has crossed our palms to tend to this situation, we best hurry on, and I can then get back to my studies."

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 10:53 AM
You continue on down the path and reach the junction where it splits two ways. One path leads up to the barrow mund, the other on to the ruins. Before you can decide which path to chose, the skeletal creature springs from the shadows and raises up its scythe bringing it down upon Colin.

to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]

OOC: Could you add equipment to your various sheets please? Also make sure you have your Hp and feats recorded.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 11:18 AM
The blackness that envelops the scythes blade strikes true and Colin's flesh ripples upon contact with it.

OOC:fort save pls, you have +12 on your save according to your sheet and a +2 modifier from Unquenchable flame of life, if you have any other modifiers say.

Also it is now initiative. Order is
Gnorman
Reaper
HereticNox
Croverus+Kirrik

Croverus
2009-08-04, 11:27 AM
OOC: Ok... but I should match that with my AC at least... Oh well.
Roll for Fort [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 11:28 AM
OOC:saved it, don't worry

Croverus
2009-08-04, 11:29 AM
OOC:saved it, don't worry

OOC: Only worried about the 23 dmg I don't think I should have taken

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 11:36 AM
OOC: oh, want to check that when you have your character sheet back? If you have a high enough AC I'll negate the damage k? you don't get your dex bonus though because your caught flat footed

Croverus
2009-08-04, 11:43 AM
OOC: oh, want to check that when you have your character sheet back? If you have a high enough AC I'll negate the damage k? you don't get your dex bonus though because your caught flat footed

OOC: Oh, right, forgot about FF. Ok then, I took the damage. It's been a while since I was just a player >.<

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 11:44 AM
"Heironeous, guide my blade." With that his previously faintly glowing longsword, ignites with holy flame. Striking the foul spirit, Regulus snarls, "Be vanquished."

Divine Might, a free action to add char. bonus to damage, so +5
Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1] plus Scared bonus of [roll2] if undead, [roll3] if evil outsider.
Activation word for Scared is Heironeous.

I can hit incorporeal creatures.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 11:49 AM
OOC:cool i'll do your action when it gets to your turn, what lets you hit incorporeals? Also unlucky on your damage man
Edit:It's not actually Incorporeal btw

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 11:51 AM
OOC: Ghost Strike, I figured it would be necessary. I know a natural one, still 27 isn't bad.

I thought it was my turn, I was right after the reaper?

Ha, My spell check got me.

Is it an evil outsider, because I get a little extra damage then

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 11:55 AM
OOC:you'd need a knowledge religion/knowledge the planes check to find more about the creature, also its attack came in the surprise round, its now Gnorman's turn, then the reaper again, then everyone else

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 11:58 AM
OOC: Well here is a modest knowledge(religion) check.
[roll0], nice.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 12:04 PM
@HereticNox

The creature is an entropic Reaper, It is extraplanar and its scythe causes victims to go into a state of entropy. It is also noted for showing some resilience to spells

Edit:If anyone else wants to then feel free to post your actions for when it gets to your turn.

Croverus
2009-08-04, 12:08 PM
OOC: This is my action on my turn.

Colin falls back grabbing his shoulder and muttering to the spirits of good will as a barrier of light is raised around himslef to protect him from any further harm.

(Cast Sanctuary on Self)

Adeen
2009-08-04, 01:55 PM
[roll0] I figure it might be useful if I knew as well.

Ireth will move back 30 feet and attempts to cast Dismissal on his action.

Equipment and spells will be completely finished real soon, just posting this to keep the combat moving.

Jair Barik
2009-08-04, 02:34 PM
You gain the same insights as HereticNox

Gnorman
2009-08-04, 04:46 PM
Seeing if I know anything about the creature: [roll0]

First moving a good 30 ft away from the creature.

Then, using Summon Monster VI to summon [roll1] Bearded Devils, surrounding the skeleton with as many as possible and having them all use a full attack.

My bluff: [roll2]

My devils' Sense Motives: [roll3], +9 each , if they beat my check by 5 or more, they're hostile.

EDIT: Okay, I now have a small army of very pissed off devils - I'll post their actions.

OOC: Also, remember! I wear my Admiral's Bicorne within range of everyone - that gives you all +2 on attacks, saves, and skills!

Gnorman
2009-08-04, 04:58 PM
Destroy the undead abomination, my fiends! It was animated by foul tanar'ri magic!

First off, they all go into Frenzy: +4 STR, +4 CON, -2 AC, +2 will saves.

Augment Summoning gives them: +4 STR, +4 CON.

My Infernal Frenzy ability gives them: +2 on weapon damage rolls, 2 HP per HD.

They all have 57 HP, 17 AC, DR 5/silver or good, and a Fort save of +8.

Each devil attacks at +9/+4, doing 1d10+3 damage with a wounding glaive, lawful and evil aligned. With Augment Summoning, their Frenzy ability, my Malconvoker Infernal Frenzy ability, and my beautiful hat taken into account, here are the rolls.

Attacks:
1: [roll0], [roll1]
2: [roll2], [roll3]
3: [roll4], [roll5]
4: [roll6], [roll7]

EDIT: Oops, forgot flanking bonuses for surrounding him! Add two to every attack.

Crit confirm:
1: [roll8], [roll9]
2: [roll10], [roll11]
3: [roll12], [roll13]
4: [roll14], [roll15]

Damage:
1: [roll16], [roll17]
2: [roll18], [roll19]
3: [roll20], [roll21]
4: [roll22], [roll23]

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 04:58 PM
Do you really think it is a good idea to summon devils in front of a paladin :smallannoyed:

Detect evil on Justinian

Gnorman
2009-08-04, 05:17 PM
Psssh, just like a paladin to waste his standard action detecting evil on his party member, not the gigantic scythe-wielding murderous skeleton.

I kid, I kid. But Justinian isn't evil, nor will he register as such.

I'll have to explain it later, out of combat.

HereticNox
2009-08-04, 06:17 PM
Is it really a standard action :smalleek:
Never mind then

I doubt there is going to be anything left of this reaper after being torn apart by bearded devils.

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 03:57 AM
DM only

5 hits from summons for 15, 18, 15, 18 and 12. -10 each from damage reduction Total 28 damage. Reapers turn, heals 10, 18 damage taken.
Reaper attacks whirlwind attack
Summon 1 [roll0] confirm crit [roll1], damage [roll2]
Summon 2 [roll3] confirm crit [roll4], damage [roll5]
Summon 3 [roll6] confirm crit [roll7], damage [roll8]
Summon 4 [roll9] confirm crit [roll10], damage [roll11]
Ireth [roll12] confirm crit [roll13], damage [roll14]
Regelus [roll15] confirm crit [roll16], damage [roll17]

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 04:02 AM
DM only

Summon 1 fort save [roll0]
Summon 2 fort save [roll1]
Summon 3 fort save [roll2]
Summon 4 fort save [roll3]
Ireth fort save [roll4]
Regulus fort save [roll5]
reaper takes another 24 damage, has now taken 42 damage total

The reaper appears to go down beneath a mass of devils but then it burst out sweeping its scyth in one great arc about itself that cuts into all 4 devils, Ireth and Regulus (Ireth and Regulus take 22 damage each). Whats more two of the devils forms become unclear, their bodies become an intangible fluctuating messthat screams in pain (need wisdom scores on the devils). The reaper is visibly wounded but some of its broken bones already appear to be mending. regulus swings his sword at the creature catch it with a mighty blow that causes it to scream in pain. Both Colin and Ireth fall back to cast their spells but as Ireth falls back the creature lashes out at her with its scythe (take another 24 damage). Ireth casts her spell and it strikes the Reaper but the spell fizziles into nothing upon contact with the Reaper.
OOC: It is now Gnormans initiative again.

HereticNox
2009-08-05, 07:41 AM
His blade once again tempered by celestial light, Regulus roars at the monstrosity. "Abomination, feel Heironeous' might. YOU WILL BE SMITED EVIL ONE.". The holy illumination increases and Regulus is bathed in holy light. A small click can be heard coming from his armor, and Regulus begins to move with inhuman speed striking several times in quick succession.

Can you roll the attack rolls here? If not just knowing what you rolled would be nice. Shield Ward adds my shield AC to touch, just incase a touch attack comes up.

Also in order
Free Action:Activate divine might (2 turning attempts used 16 left) +5 to damage
Swift Action: Activate my speed property to become hasted for 1 round
Full attack (with a smite evil(+4 to attack, plus 13 damage) so some BA
+13/+8/+3 plus

I'm guessing both my first attacks hit, the other is in the spoiler below. So damage would be 44 for the first attack, and with bonuses on the second attack 46, without bonus 42.

So minimum 86/ max 90

Attack 1
[roll0]
Attack 2
[roll1]
Attack 3
[roll2]

Damage 1
[roll3] Scared Damage [roll4]
Damage 2
[roll5] Scared Damage [roll6]
Damage 3
[roll7] Scared Damage [roll8]

Hopefully this went well, also I used the pious templar smite evil text, instead of the paladins. If I have multiple smites, can I switch between the smite of a paladin and the pious templar. The paladin's give me a better attack roll but only 9 extra damage.

HereticNox
2009-08-05, 07:46 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I get one more attack with all the modifiers thanks to haste ( I understand if you make it only with my base attack bonus instead of all the abilities. Though by raw, "plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation" which i think includes my extra.

With bonuses
Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1] [roll2]

Without Bonus
Attack
[roll3]

Damage
[roll4]

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 08:48 AM
OOC:All of my roles have been in the spoilers, you can look at them after the battle but I felt as I was including things such as damage reduction and so forth it would be better if you didn't know them for the time being. So far though the reaper has taken 42 damage. The only exception to my rolling in the spoilers was the AoO and the spell resistance check, I only realised those needed to be made after my initial double post and so as to avoid triple posting I simply rolled them real life on my own dice. Hop thats okay with everyone

HereticNox
2009-08-05, 08:54 AM
OOC: Whoops my mistake, I missed the spoiler with the attack rolls. Also rolling your own dice is fine, I just wanted to know what the attack roll was and you already did that. I'll be careful to make sure I read everything before posting again.
So what about my hasted attack? Does it include the bonuses? By raw I would think so, but it seems iffy to me. It is really up to you as DM.

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 09:16 AM
OOC: I'll allow it but there stills Gnorman and the reaper to go before you yet, also check my sig I will be away for a little but this isn't me abandoning the game its a personal visit. Also its possible you may not get an attack depending on how things go down... Lets just say that the feat selection of the reaper is quite nasty considering current circumstances. Still I'm sure you can take it:smallbiggrin:

@HereticNox

Don't tell the others but it has Whirlwind attack, Improved critical scythe and cleave. If it manages to start critting those summons then your in trouble.

HereticNox
2009-08-05, 01:07 PM
DM only

*sigh* I'm just stating this now, for the fort save use my true believer bonus of +2.

What is his crit range *goes to check* so a 19-20 range x4..., unless its a sickle then its x2. Still I rather not get my arm cut off or something.

Also, can he mow my lawn?

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 01:23 PM
@heretic Nox

Fort save v what? entropy or massive damage (not running death by massive damage). Also the entropic reapers are found in the ever changing chaos of Limbo and like killing whatever they meet. If you can summon one without it killing you then I'm sure it would be very good at mowing your lawn

HereticNox
2009-08-05, 01:33 PM
DM

The entropy

Not a very substantial post on my part.

Gnorman
2009-08-05, 04:38 PM
Well, you old bag of bones, I suppose I should thank you for cleansing the world of two more devils - but I'd prefer to cleanse you first. Perhaps a little fire should brighten your evening.

And with that, Justinian chants a few arcane syllables, his hand growing deep orange with flame. Finishing his spell, he sends a ball of searing fire towards the creature.

Orb of Fire: [roll0] - +9 ranged bonus, +2 from my hat, -4 for firing into melee.

Damage: [roll1]

My devils attack again. Well, the two that weren't turned into shifting masses of chaos.

Attack
1: [roll2], [roll3]
2: [roll4], [roll5]

Crit confirm
1: [roll6], [roll7]
2: [roll8], [roll9]

Damage
1: [roll10], [roll11]
2: [roll12], [roll13]

OOC: Those devils have 10 WIS, by the way.

Also, did I get any insight from my knowledge (religion check)? I rolled a 32.

Jair Barik
2009-08-06, 03:36 AM
OOC: Demons aren't dead yet and you get the same insights as the others (see earlier on page 1)

DM only

Spell resistance penetration check [roll0]
1=reaper, 2=next demon, 3=next demon, 4=next demon, 5=paladin
[roll1] damage [roll2] random target,[roll3] [roll4] 1=miss
[roll5] damage [roll6] random target,[roll7] [roll8] 1=miss
[roll9] damage [roll10] random target,[roll11] [roll12] 1=miss
[roll13] damage [roll14] random target,[roll15] [roll16] 1=miss

Reaper uses whirlwind attack
Demon 1 [roll17] confirm crit [roll18] damage [roll19]
Demon 2 [roll20] confirm crit [roll21] damage [roll22]
Demon 3 [roll23] confirm crit [roll24] damage [roll25]
Demon 4 [roll26] confirm crit [roll27] damage [roll28]
Paladin [roll29] confirm crit [roll30] damage [roll31]
Cleave attempt [roll32] confirm crit [roll33] damage [roll34]

Jair Barik
2009-08-06, 03:52 AM
The ball of flame hits the reaper in the chest and ignites the reaper making it scream in pain. The demons wail and attack it scratching it deeply with their weapons, the other two flailing about blindly and almost hitting their allies. The reaper begins to heal again and spins its scythe ones more, but this time it only manages to cut through 3 of the demons, yet of these another becomes a roiling mass of chaos. Then Regulus runs up to the creature and stabs his sword through it. The Reaper falls backwards and collapses to the ground, Regulus attempting further attacks misses it twice as it does so but then strikes a 4th blow at the already defeated reaper destroying it absolutely and leaving nothing but a scythe. The demons still yammer and flail around madly in blind pain.

@Dm only
Reaper has already taken 42 damage. Fire penetrates and hits for 37, now has taken 79damage.
3 attacks hit by the demons for 24, 29 and 26 total of 49 after Damage reduction. reaper has taken 128 damage. Other demons attacks all miss. Reapers turn.
Reaper heals ten 118 damage now taken. Reaper whirlwind attacks. Misses Paladin, 2 critical hits, misses 1 demon, hits 1 demon, fails to confirm criticals.
Demon1 has already taken 21 dmg takes 18 more
Demon2 has already taken 22 dmg takes 21 more
Demon3 has already taken 18 dmg takes 19 more
Demon4 has already taken 21 dmg is missed
non dead
Reaper misses Paladin

summons 1 and 3 need fort saves
1 [roll0]
3 [roll1]

Paladin attacks, hits for 44-10=34
2nd attack misses
3rd attack misses
4th attack hits for 46-10=36
Reaper is dead from 1st hit.

Gnorman
2009-08-06, 05:20 AM
Back to the hells with you, fiends. May your masters punish you for your failure.

Dismissing the spell.

Jair Barik
2009-08-06, 06:42 AM
OOC:a wise decision.
Also it turns out one of you failed your save but I'm letting it slide this time as it was purely my error

Croverus
2009-08-06, 09:17 AM
May the fates bless us and keep us healthy

Colin raises his hands and waves of warm light wash over the group, medning a great deal of everyone's wounds.

Casting Mass Cure Moderate Wounds
[roll0]
That's the minimum I should be healing, because its +1 per caster level, then I have a bonus equal to my charisma, and then Healer also has a handful of additional points to all healing spells. So I could very well be healing several points more than this. I'm at work mind you so I can't access myth weavers or any online sites.

HereticNox
2009-08-06, 09:29 AM
Croverus

Reach Spell
Greater Fortitude
Augment Healing
Self Suficient
Negotiator
Unquenchable Flam of Life
*Skill Focus (Heal)
Healing Hands (Ex)
Cleanse Paralysis (Su) 1/day
Cleanse Disease (Su) 1/day
Cleanse Fear (Su) 1/day
Cleanse Poison (Su) 1/day
Effortless Healing (Ex)
Unicorn Companion (Ex)
Cleanse Blindness (Su) 1/day
Cleanse Spirit (Su) 1/day
Cleanse Petrification (Su) 1/day

HereticNox
2009-08-06, 09:36 AM
"Are we sure it will stay dead?" Bowing to Colin, "Thank you for healing my wounds, Heironeous bless you." Straightening himself, Regulus explains" I believe I can heal myself the rest of the way, please do not waste your talents on me. I believe we may need them later.'

His hands emitting a soothing blue aura. Touching it to the minor wounds left from the battle with the undead, he heals the rest of the damage. Thinking to himself in the process, Praise be to Heironeous. We vanquished this horrible spirit. Our venture is sure to be successful, for it is your will.

[Spoiler]
Lay on hands for the 3 or 4 points I have left over. Though I might not have to use any at all after corevus healing bonus.

Croverus
2009-08-06, 10:11 AM
OOC: If I know my Cha bonus I'll know if I healed the couple extra points. 13 is my bonus from caster level, and I get a bonus equal to my Cha mod, and another bonus from my Augment Healing, but I don't remember where to find that feat so I don't know if its just a +1 bonus from that or more.

HereticNox
2009-08-06, 10:15 AM
OOC: you have a +4 charisma bonus, and augment healing heals an additional +2 hp per level.

Croverus
2009-08-06, 10:17 AM
OOC: Then I add +19 to all my healing spells. So I healed everyone for 22 hp.

Jair Barik
2009-08-11, 11:41 AM
OOC: I'm back and so you may continue your quest. Whats everyone going to do now?

Croverus
2009-08-11, 12:37 PM
Colin checks to make sure he didn't sustain any other innjures, then waits for the others to be ready to move on to the catacombs.

We should not delay. This evil was trying to prevent us from reaching the tomb. We must hurry.

HereticNox
2009-08-11, 05:02 PM
"Sometimes I wish the quest to defeat these undead abominations, would take us some place nice. Still Heironeous has directed us, and I for one will follow faithfully."

With that, he ensures all his equipment is in working order. Securing his equipment, he slowly begins to march toward the crossroad.

Turning to his compatriots, "Which way should we go?"

Jair Barik
2009-08-13, 10:28 AM
OOC: Its actually more a slight ruin at the top of the hill. At the moment you stand at a crossroads one road heading to the catacombs the other to the barrow

Gnorman
2009-08-13, 05:04 PM
Hmmmm. It doesn't matter to me. Either one road we go down will likely be infested by the evil undead, and we'll have to destroy them. Anybody have a coin to flip?

And my apologies, holy men, for the whole 'devils, destroy him' routine. I'm no demonologist and no devil worshipper - but I have discovered a rather useful technique for forcing evil to destroy itself.

HereticNox
2009-08-13, 05:12 PM
"Very clever, but you should be wary. Sometimes that which you believe to use. Is in reality using you. Just be wary, the forces of evil can be subtle in their deeds. It doesn't really matter where we go, since we will be coming back and going down the other path anyway." Regulus announces this with a certain authority, as if his decision could not possibly be argued with.

Gnorman
2009-08-14, 01:01 AM
Not to sound too arrogant, my dear boy, but I'm more than capable of resisting the lure of evil. The devils are tools, nothing more. Foul tools, perhaps, but by forcing them to combat other evil entities, I'm merely casting vile pawns against one another - better that they spend their time combating evil than scheming and plotting to harm the righteous and the innocent. Every wound they suffer in my service is a wound they rightly deserve.

Croverus
2009-08-14, 10:20 AM
"As long as you try to avoid summoning such vile things when commoners are around I suppose its ok. But trust me, I've seen enough to know that even the most righteous intentions mean nothing to a mob of people infused with fear and superstition."

HereticNox
2009-08-14, 10:29 AM
Gazing down the road, "I meant no offense. It was just some advice to be wary. It is a good strategy against evil."

Turning to face the group, Regulus sighs "I pray we encounter enough people for that to be a problem."

He then heads toward the barrow, unless his companions refuse to go. He then will simply abide by their decision.

Jair Barik
2009-08-15, 09:45 AM
bump, which way do you go then?

Gnorman
2009-08-15, 04:37 PM
To the barrow, compatriots.

Croverus
2009-08-15, 06:52 PM
"Agreed, the burrow."

Jair Barik
2009-08-16, 02:17 AM
You continue on the path to the barrow taking a few turns as you ascend its full height. At the top of the barrow the path ends. There is nothing here but a large stretch of grass that coats the barrow and a stone block built into the surface of the hilltop that measures 5ft by 5ft.

HereticNox
2009-08-17, 11:07 AM
"Well...Let's look around shall we." With that Regulus carefully searches the stone, then the area immediately around the stone.

Going to take 20 on a search check on the stone.

Also detect evil before that, to see if any evil is left over in the stone, or it is evil somehow (probably evil magic or something)

Also spot/listen
[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

Jair Barik
2009-08-17, 11:15 AM
You carefully spend your time examining the stone slab and determine the following things about it. It has no inherent evil within the stone but the entire barrow reeks of an evil presence that also seems to linger in the air around you and even back down the path from where you came. The stone itself is decorated with carvings of flowers, most notably lilies. It is overgrown with grass and thistles around the edges and lacks any noticeable hand holds or handles. Despite this it does look as if its placement here was to block up a hole as opposed to simply being a decoration, your knowledge of the purpose of barrows further supporting this point.

HereticNox
2009-08-17, 11:17 AM
"Something is underneath this, help me push."

Bracing himself Regulus heaves against the stone, hoping it will slide.

Strength Check, ha Regulus is a beast.
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-08-17, 11:28 AM
Regulus begins to push the stone slab but to no avail. As he does so though thick burning fumes spread out of the stone and the grass begins to burn.

OOC: Reflex saves everyone, factor in any bonuses v spells and fire, does anyone want to take over Kirriks character? Also the cloud has a 30ft radius

HereticNox
2009-08-17, 11:31 AM
OOC:Reflex Save, that twenty went in the wrong place.
[roll0]+2 15

Croverus
2009-08-17, 02:35 PM
OOC: As usual, I don't have my character sheet on my. Since I'm at work. I can wait till I get home before I roll reflex if thats ok.

Gnorman
2009-08-18, 06:30 PM
OOC: Everyone remember my wonderful hat? It gives you +2 on all your saves.

Justinian rolls quickly away from the flames, hoping to prevent his new robes from catching fire.

Reflex: [roll0]

Croverus
2009-08-18, 10:35 PM
OOC:Damn, reflex is my worst. Oh well, I cast Close wounds if I don't save.

Reflex
[roll0]

Close Wounds(Only if I fail save)
[roll1]

Colin tries to fall back from the flames, quickly casting a swift healing spell to make up for the burns he takes.

Jair Barik
2009-08-19, 01:51 PM
OOC:DC is 22

[roll0]
Kirriks reflex [roll1]

The flames burn everyone (5 damage each) but you are all easily able to make it out of the cloud before any more damage is taken. The cloud continues to burn and the grass crackles with flames. You hear a grinding noise and a loud crash.

HereticNox
2009-08-21, 11:07 AM
"I suppose that means something is around here." Regulus gazes about, "I believe it is coming from under the stone. Justinian do you have a magic that can move the rock, or at least stop the fire?"

Still even as Regulus ask this his eyes scan about, trying to ensure no enemies were attracted to the noise.

Spot
[roll0]

Listen
[roll1]

Gnorman
2009-08-21, 02:59 PM
The fires lick at Justinian's skin, but don't seem to harm him at all.

Bah. Fire. Even considering my... heritage... I suppose it may be prudent to take some precautions.

With that, Justinian hums a few words in Draconic and suddenly a warm sheen surrounds him, like a heat shimmer.

I can protect myself from the flames and investigate. But be prepared to protect me if I come stumbling back out pursued by some foul beastie... hmph. I hate taking point.

With that, Justinian steps cautiously into the flames.

I have fire resistance of 5 already, but casting Heart of Fire to give myself resistance of 20. Also now I am 10' faster.

Jair Barik
2009-08-21, 03:12 PM
From his position in the fire Justinian can see that the fire has burnt the soil around the stone causing it to collapse into the chamber below. In the hole where the stone used to be you can see there is a chamber with a circumference of about 60ft, its floor is 20ft below you. Its is difficult to make out what is there as the chamber itself is quite dark and only illuminated by the flickering flames of the cloud.

Gnorman
2009-08-21, 03:52 PM
OOC: I have Darkvision.

Jair Barik
2009-08-21, 04:23 PM
The cavern floor is littered with random debris, rocks and other rubbish

Gnorman
2009-08-21, 05:45 PM
Striding confidently out of the flames, Justinian shakes his head.

Nothing down there worth our time, comrades. Just trash, detritus, and strewn-about rubble. No treasure, no relics of interest, and certainly no lurking undead. Let's try the other route.

HereticNox
2009-08-28, 11:20 AM
Listening to Justinian's description of what the area beneath the stone looked like. Regulus poses a question, "Is it possible that this is the entrance, does anyone have the means to look around at the bottom? It would be better to have something else than one of us. Though if nothing can be done, I'll go. Perhaps we can fashion something to lower me down?"

Jair Barik
2009-08-28, 02:12 PM
After a short while the cloud of flames sedates and the area grows cold once more.

Croverus
2009-08-28, 02:36 PM
"Five gold says it was some kind of magical trap."

He looks at the others and then at the hole. Taking out some silk rope he looks for a strong anchor to tie the rope onto.

"Who wants to go down first?"

HereticNox
2009-08-30, 10:00 AM
"I'll venture into the abyss. I' have not the skills to fashion a rope, does anyone else have experience with such matters? If not, then I will attempt to fashion one. Though for the moment, I must give reverence."

Piercing his sword into the ground, Regulus lowers himself to one knee. Reverently he grips the blade, and his mouth can be seen soundlessly moving.

HereticNox
2009-09-03, 08:07 PM
Rising from his prayers, Regulus fixes his sword to his back. "I'm ready for this venture."

OOC: Come on, we need some posting