PDA

View Full Version : 12th lvl. Arcanist build

graymachine
2009-07-28, 11:17 AM
My current game is looking to take a break from the current plot to explore the war going on between Imperial loyalists and the Arcane Academy. The GM has set the brief interlude (4 sessions) as requiring 12th level Arcane casters by this weekend. Unfortunately, my books are away and I want to put together something particularly strong. Here's what I have:

Race: Human (Sun Elf or Fire Elf?)
Class: Wizard 4
Sorcerer 1
Ultimate Magus 7
-(possibly switched out from some Incantrix)

Stats: STR-10
DEX- 14
CON- 12
INT-18
WIS-11
CHA-16
-rolled, unmodified by level or item.

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster
-not sure what direction to go in besides PS.

Any suggestions, or flesh out? It's a rough outline, which I apologize for; I would have more, but no books at hand. I think the levels are correct to qualify for UM, and feats/skills can be assumed. Also, while I have a general idea of the function of Incantrix, what would it be good for in replacing on this build?

Gorbash
2009-07-28, 11:27 AM
If you're gonna go with an Elf, go with Grey Elf (MM), which nets you +2 Int.

Don't know much about Ultimate Magus, since I dislike dual casting progression builds, but if you decide to go another way (progress just Wizard side), there are many ways to be legen... wait for it... dary!

Jalor
2009-07-28, 11:33 AM
I would recommend you stick with a single arcane class, like Wizard 5/Incantatrix 7. Otherwise you lose caster levels and basically end up with lots of weak spells.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-28, 11:39 AM
Beguiller, detailed on page 148 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf , would be a better choice then Sorcerer being as you'd get a larger spell list and you'd only need Int (you could bar Enchantment and Illusion as a Wizard while using your Beguiller spell slots for that type of magic). The Fenneckin race which I made a while back, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/index.php?t-104140.html , could help as well.