PDA

View Full Version : SRD / Wiki on a Stick

jeek
2009-07-28, 11:23 AM
I'm in the processing of inputting/formatting the SRD into a Wiki on a Stick.

Wiki on a Stick is a self-contained wiki that operates as a standalone HTML file loaded up with javascript goodness that modifies itself. Slick tech, in my humble opinion. It can also export the wiki to a set of standalone flat html pages.

Anyways, I'm doing a bit of rearranging of the SRD... for example I am putting the epic Barbarian levels/progression in the base class Barbarian's page, because it doesn't make much sense to me to split up the data in the manner I've seen elsewhere.

Does anyone have any good suggestions about other good reorderings/etc of the SRD?

Also, I know Unearthed Arcana is OGL but not SRD, should I be including it in this document as well? My goal is to end up with a well-organized portable hyperlinked usable form of the SRD that I can distribute freely.

Finally, should I include handbooks from forums in the file (i.e. Batman Wizard post) and/or class fixes.. or not bother because they operate on too much information (splatbooks) that I could not distribute freely?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-07-28, 11:27 AM
I think the epic thing is cuz the expic rules are supplements and not actually part of the core rules. Plus i know i don't play with them so that's more scrolling for me to get to the rules i want.

jeek
2009-07-28, 11:32 AM
I think the epic thing is cuz the expic rules are supplements and not actually part of the core rules. Plus i know i don't play with them so that's more scrolling for me to get to the rules i want.

The Epic, Divine, and Psionic rules are all in the SRD. For what it's worth, the epic stuff is going to be at the bottom of each class's page, after even the UA class variants if I end up including them.

DragoonWraith
2009-07-28, 11:36 AM
I think it would be nice to have an SRD with everything together, rather than separating things out into the books they originally came from - that is a distinction that is rather unnecessary at this point.

I'd also put the Psionic stuff in with the regular stuff - I think it would ease people into Psionics more (which I consider a good thing), without it appearing foreign and complicated. By presenting it side-by-side with magic, the systems would come together much more nicely, I think.

That goes for the other things too, variants and Paragon Classes and Divine rules and the like. For instance, there are several Feats in the Divine section of d20 SRD that are very useful to non-divine players, but you'd never to think to look for them there.

jeek
2009-07-28, 11:44 AM
I think it would be nice to have an SRD with everything together, rather than separating things out into the books they originally came from - that is a distinction that is rather unnecessary at this point.

I concur, and that is sort of the direction I've been taking. All the base classes from PHB and XPH in alphabetical order, regardless of source, etc. Spells and Powers will be in separate categories, mostly because after I finish the distributable public copy, I'll be making a private copy for my own use with categories such as Invocations, Vestiges, Soulmelds, etc.

jeek
2009-07-28, 12:04 PM
.... so that's more scrolling for me to get to the rules i want.

Also, when I distribute, I'll be leaving it in wiki form, so you can delete whatever you want. It's a hell of a lot easier to delete than to reformat the RTF copies of the SRD to get them looking right/hyperlinked in the wiki.

bosssmiley
2009-07-28, 02:05 PM
d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) - COre, UA, Epic, Psionics. Fits on a thumb drive.

Whyfor do you reinvent the wheel? :smallconfused:

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-28, 03:11 PM
d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) - COre, UA, Epic, Psionics. Fits on a thumb drive.

Heh, beat me to it. Most efficient compilation of the SRD ever created. Crystal Keep only gets so much information before you need to look something up.

SilverClawShift
2009-07-28, 03:32 PM

That's what my group has, in a way.

We randomly contribute to the typed up archive of classes/monsters/feats/spells, ect. We mainly did it so that we can have homebrew readily accessible and sorted into the proper categories, but once we added enough random stuff we realized how useful it was to have anything we needed in a zip file we all have access to :smalltongue:

jeek
2009-07-28, 03:36 PM

Well, first off, I'm familiar with the site (also with dandwiki) and it is a big inspiration for this project.

Second, Wiki on a Stick is one file, making it easier to distribute.

Third, I have a slightly different take on how the information should be organized.

Fourth, once I've finished the SRD version and gotten everything standardized, my own copy will then be slowly enhanced with the content of all of my other books, which d20srd.org and myself both will not be able to distribute. (Although, I will distribute and maintain the SRD-only version)

Spherical wheels in the right base allow travel in any direction! :D If you make them out of processed kitten bone and lubricate the ballshaft with baby blood, you can eke an extra 3% of speed out of the whole mechanism! THIS IS CUTTING EDGE WHEEL TECHNOLOGY

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 03:38 PM

I was interested up until the processed kitten bone part.

Now I'm fascinated.

Milskidasith
2009-07-28, 03:46 PM
I was saddened when you said you couldn't distribute your non core file. I know why you can't distribute, but being broke and bookless, having access to non core materials would be nice.

Crystal Keep is about the most I can get that isn't core (online), and it is pretty incomplete. Ah well. I guess I'll get some books for my birthday.

Blackfang108
2009-07-28, 03:56 PM
Crystal Keep is about the most I can get that isn't core (online), and it is pretty incomplete. Ah well. I guess I'll get some books for my birthday.

And it usure ani't error-free, either...