PDA

View Full Version : At Least One More Loose End

EmperorSarda
2009-07-28, 12:49 PM
So as everything is winding down, who wonders if we'll see Lein or Hinjo confront V. and/or Elan about Kubota?

After all, she went down in search of his body so she probably found Kubota's +5 armor, boots, and some of his other magical trinkets. So probably they are going to have some questions about what occurred...

At the very least I would like to know how Kubota's death affected the fleet, how it affected their morale.

Or maybe it will be a bonus strip in the book?

Ancalagon
2009-07-28, 12:51 PM
Kubota is gone, as is his plot. And I bet Hinjo and Lien know quite well what happened to him - even if they did not find the leftovers you mentioned, they are not stupid. And I also bet they know quite well that "Elan" isn't the guilty part here (lawful good, not stupid).

Dark Faun
2009-07-28, 01:18 PM
At the very least, the nobles probably bugged Hinjo about Kubota and Vaarsuvius's disappearances. Kubota's can be chalked to the "mysterious ninja attack", but some nobles might consider V's departure as evidence he ordered said ninja attack to get rid of Kubota and the Katos and Hinjo's possible lack of reprisal as proof he's not a good leader/he's V's accomplice.

hamishspence
2009-07-28, 01:22 PM
and Kubota's family (according to War & XPs, there is a powerful Kubota family) are going to be concerned about it.

I could easily see them pressurizing Hinjo, given that their patriarch has mysteriously disappeared.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-28, 01:28 PM
and Kubota's family (according to War & XPs, there is a powerful Kubota family) are going to be concerned about it.

I could easily see them pressurizing Hinjo, given that their patriarch has mysteriously disappeared.

Suddenly I picture the image of a pressure pan with a struggling hinjo inside it.

NerfTW
2009-07-28, 01:42 PM
They aren't going to do anything for the same reason they aren't going to do anything about Belkar. They gain far more by allowing the Order to continue on to the next gate than they do prodding for answers to the Kubota situation.

Jaltum
2009-07-28, 01:43 PM
Or, you know, the aristocrats looked at the situation, and each of them said to him or herself, "Hm. Kubota screwed with Hinjo. Kubota disappeared without a trace, and they found all his magic items at the bottom of the ocean. One of Hinjo's level 14 barbarian pals vanished the same day."

"There are two more of those barbarians."

"...I'm gonna wait and be the fourth guy to try and screw with Hinjo."

Kish
2009-07-28, 01:45 PM
"Hinjo! You made Kubota disappear!"
"...So if you really believe that, why are you standing in my way?"

Jaltum
2009-07-28, 01:52 PM
Now I *do* think there should be a bonus comic about it.

:elan: "Excuse me, scheming aristocrat guys! Your leader, Lord Hinjo, has an announcement he'd like me to make. He wants you all to know that even though Kubota was a real pain in his butt, he's really really sorry that he mysterious vanished in the night and his body can't be found. He wants you all to know he had nothing to do with it, and as far as he's aware none of you are in any danger, even though you're all plotting against him just like Kubota was. Please, do not be afraid that plotting against Hinjo will get you as dead as Kubota is, if Kubota is in fact dead, which we don't know, since no one can find his body to resurrect him."

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

EDIT: Okay, so maybe we don't need three variations on the scene, but the idea of Elan *intentionally* delivering one of his dis-inspiring speeches made me grin. He does seem to be getting more clever about playing the hand he's been dealt.

Or even a final panel with Hinjo asking Durkon: "...did he do that on purpose?"

Dark Faun
2009-07-28, 01:57 PM
"Attention nobility! There are dire half-dragon bone-eating saltwater werepiranhas around! And they're still hungry."

hamishspence
2009-07-28, 01:58 PM
:elan: "Excuse me, scheming aristocrat guys! Your leader, Lord Hinjo, has an announcement he'd like me to make. He wants you all to know that even though Kubota was a real pain in his butt, he's really really sorry that he mysterious vanished in the night and his body can't be found. He wants you all to know he had nothing to do with it, and as far as he's aware none of you are in any danger, even though you're all plotting against him just like Kubota was. Please, do not be afraid that plotting against Hinjo will get you as dead as Kubota is, if Kubota is in fact dead, which we don't know, since no one can find his body to resurrect him."

You know, that last one works quite well-its a little reminiscent of Elan's speech to the tavern in Origin- giving away too much info.

Shatteredtower
2009-07-28, 02:06 PM
This thread has made me laugh. Therefore, I shall spare your puny world, and... That's all I have to say.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-28, 04:04 PM

Why would the family complain? they all just got instant promotions! :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2009-07-28, 04:07 PM
Depends how strong the internal family relations are. Even evil people can be loving parents or spouses (Savage Species)- Kubota may leave behind a wife and children who are worried by his disappearance, rather than pleased.

veti
2009-07-28, 04:27 PM

Hinjo: "If you really want a full public inquiry into the events that led up to Lord Kubota's mysterious disappearance, I'll set one up immediately. Do you really want that?"

Edit: What do you think are the odds that the penalty for high treason in Azurite law includes forfeiture of all rank and lands? Quite high, I'd say. That'd be quite a sobering thought to anyone of K's family who might be thinking of pressing too hard.

hamishspence
2009-07-28, 04:38 PM
possible but not certain. And a dead man is difficult to charge- even if Hinjo hinted as to Kubota's guilt, if they themselves are innocent, he'd have trouble with the new head of the family, if he tried to claim their wealth, and take their rank.

Given that shojo chose to feign senility rather than continue challenging the nobles, their power must have been pretty high. And it may still be so, even in exile.

veti
2009-07-28, 04:55 PM
I'm not so sure. In my experience, it's a lot easier to convict the dead than the living, particularly if the living are highly skilled liars and spin merchants. Kubota as good as said to Elan that he was relying on his personal powers of charm and misrepresentation to get him through his trial. Without those powers, where would he be?

And more importantly for this scenario: how confident would Lord Kubota's heir be that there definitely wasn't a smoking gun left somewhere?

No, much better to let sleeping dogs lie. Kubota had his shot and he blew it - that's all anyone really needs to know. Now it's his heir's turn to see if s/he can make a better job of leading the house. Pushing for formal inquiries into the past is a recipe for pain and unpopularity, and you can never be entirely sure quite where the fallout will land.

EmperorSarda
2009-07-28, 05:01 PM
Yeah, regardless of what happens, it would be nice to see or know what happens.

TriForce
2009-07-28, 05:06 PM
Well, i agree with all of the above reasons of why there will be no extra story about kabuto and ill give you all another:

Hardly anyone of the readers wants to pay any more attention to that 3rd grade "villain" of a sub quest. he simply wasnt important or charismatic enough for most of us, its like asking whatever happened to the family of the goblin cleric (remeber? the one belkar killed in strip 003 or so) :smallbiggrin:

Prowl
2009-07-28, 08:53 PM
"Hinjo! You made Kubota disappear!"
"...So if you really believe that, why are you standing in my way?"

You win this thread!

EmperorSarda
2009-07-28, 08:54 PM
Yes, but this is different than a goblin seen for one comic strip only. This is Azure City politics that have been seen in the comic since Shojo died.

Granted we won't see much of what happens since none of it directly affects the heroes, but there should be some part, some trickle down effect that affects the Order in some way or another.