PDA

View Full Version : Quest for Glory 2: Updated! (And free, even)

Muz
2009-07-28, 02:30 PM
If you're old enough to remember the Quest for Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory) games (a mix of adventure and RPG, with a good dose of humor to boot), then this will likely come as a good bit of news to you, and if you're not old enough, then consider this your summer homework: A group of artists and programmers have updated Quest for Glory 2: Trial By Fire (my second-favorite, right behind #4), and it's legitimately available for a free download, as I found out today in this GameSpy article... (http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/100/1007407p1.html)

A brief excerpt from the article:

For the uninitiated, Sierra's first and second generations of adventure games -- comprising the late '80s to the early '90s -- featured text-parser interfaces, which led to some headaches for slow typists, bad spellers, and people who just plain couldn't figure out how to phrase something in a way the game understood. Fortunately, the latter wasn't a big issue in most Sierra games, but the company eventually converted to a streamlined icon interface, and remade some of its older games using this new control method. Quest for Glory II was the only game in its series that didn't officially get the point-'n'-click treatment. AGDI's done a splendid job of fitting this old gem with an icon-based interface, while also updating it to a 256-color VGA graphical palette reminiscent of Sierra' games from that time.

The rest of the article is here (http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/100/1007407p1.html)...

The link to the download is in the article, for those interested. I haven't played this one in years, but I based a recurring NPC in a D&D campaign on Ad Avis. :smallbiggrin:

MickJay
2009-07-28, 02:58 PM
It's been out for about a year now, so it's hardly news, but the game is definitely worth checking (together with the rest of the series). :smallwink:

Muz
2009-07-28, 03:00 PM
It's been out for about a year now, so it's hardly news, but the game is definitely worth checking (together with the rest of the series). :smallwink:

So why didn'tcha tell the rest of us? *grabs MickJay's shoulders, shaking* WHY DIDJA KEEP IT A SECRET?! :smallfurious:

(I'm just kidding.) :smallwink:

MickJay
2009-07-29, 06:15 AM
I remember playing it sometime in the Autumn, I was routinely doing my semi-annual check on whether AGD got the work done, and there it was :smallbiggrin: roughly 5 years after I started checking, too. I guess my favourite is still QFG4, but they did a great job with QFG2 (the combat is much more elaborate and difficult, but you can always slide to lowest setting; they kept all the easter eggs, and the streets of Shapeir are just as easy to get lost in, too - with the added option of locking all the blind alleys).

tyckspoon
2009-07-29, 07:22 AM
they kept all the easter eggs...

Added some more, even. Including a few that you can't see unless you play with the original street layout.

MickJay
2009-07-29, 12:25 PM
True. It's also slightly easier to work on increasing Stealth than in the original version. All things considered, it's probably the best remake of a game I played.