PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Quick +0 LA Fiend Race for a Player of Mine

Xefas
2009-07-28, 02:46 PM
I just need to know if it's balanced. Preferably quickly, as we're going to be playing soon(ish).

Primewalker
Primewalkers are fiends from the Lower Planes that have taken mortal form. Sometimes these are willing beings who descend to a lowly humanoid form to make transit to the Prime easier and to work their evil unnoticed in the Material Realm. Other times, fiends are punished by being forced to such forms and sent to wander the Prime to atone for their transgressions.

Regardless, Primewalkers appear exactly like a member of a specific humanoid race (usually a human), and their mortality is permanent until death, wherein they resume their true form on their home plane. If they have done well, they can expect promotion, and if they have done poorly, they are forced to face dire consequences.

Racial Traits

-A Primewalker's type is Outsider, and it has the [Evil] subtype. Depending upon the fiend's true form, it may also have either the [Lawful] or [Chaotic] subtypes. If their true form is that of a Devil, Demon, Yugoloth, Obryinth, Demodand, or other specific kind of fiend, they are also treated as that kind of fiend for the purposes of spells, magic items, and any other effects or prerequisites dependent on them being that kind of fiend.

-Depending on the humanoid form they take, a Primewalker can be either Small or Medium.

-Primewalkers are generally grander than other mortals; more vivid, more inspiring, more terrifying. However, the physical form they take carries all the imperfections of mortality. They gain a +2 bonus to Charisma, and -2 penalty to a physical score of their choice.

-A small vestige of their vast power is maintained in the Primewalker's mortal form. They have a single 1st level spell of their choice as a spell-like ability usable once per day.

-Primewalkers gains a +2 bonus on all Knowledge (The Planes) check. Because they've been there.

-LA +0

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-28, 02:49 PM
The Outsider part pretty much ruins it for me, to be honest, even though there are other LA +0 Outsiders.

Also, why do I feel like this is only created to get levels in the Fiend classes in Fiend Folio?

Xefas
2009-07-28, 02:55 PM
The Outsider part pretty much ruins it for me, to be honest, even though there are other LA +0 Outsiders.

Also, why do I feel like this is only created to get levels in the Fiend classes in Fiend Folio?

Actually, now that you point that out and I look at them, that seems really likely. At first my only inclination was "Hey, he might be able to get those Mark feats from the Fiendish Codex II".

Is there anything wrong with him being able to use the Fiend Folio classes? They don't seem all that powerful. Especially without any high level spell-like abilities that you would get from being an actual fiend.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 02:56 PM
I was going to point you to Xefas' Make Your Own Outside! class, but look who it is!

Anyway, I see no problems with it. It doesn't have a particularly large number of bonuses like other races, and a single 1st level ability certainly isn't a game breaker (see: gnome), so I think it should be ok.

Eldan
2009-07-28, 02:56 PM
Just make sure he never gets his hands on Alter Self or similar spells, or you have a problem on your hands.

Croverus
2009-07-28, 02:58 PM
Is there an equivalent version if a player wanted to origionally be from a different plane? Like if they were an archon or some random outsider and wanted to become a planewalker, could they do it?

Xefas
2009-07-28, 03:08 PM
I was going to point you to Xefas' Make Your Own Outside! class, but look who it is!

:smallwink:

Just make sure he never gets his hands on Alter Self or similar spells, or you have a problem on your hands.

That shouldn't be too big of a problem. I trust the player.

Is there an equivalent version if a player wanted to origionally be from a different plane? Like if they were an archon or some random outsider and wanted to become a planewalker, could they do it?

Change [Evil] subtype to [Good] in the first ability. Change the bit about being a specific fiend (demon, devil, etc) to specific celestial (guardinal, archon, etc).

Change all instance of the word 'fiend' to 'celestial'. Should mostly fix everything for a Good version. Can make it work for anything with a little rewording, really.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 06:21 PM
If possible, may we learn of how it goes with this race?

When the current campaign I'm in is over, our DM wants to play, so I'll be taking over. I think I'll use this for the Bard villain to prove to them Bard's aren't crap.