PDA

View Full Version : Name that Fear

Lerky
2009-07-28, 02:54 PM
What's the scientific name of the fear of running a motorized vehicle? I think I have it and I just call it Motorophobia, hoping to find a more scientiic name. So far all websites have been unhelpful, thanks.

Tirian
2009-07-28, 03:21 PM
It would seem to be called "driving phobia". Disappointing, isn't it.

Lerky
2009-07-28, 07:02 PM
very, I may actually have to stick to my madeup motorophobia 'cause it sounds cooler:smalltongue:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-28, 07:13 PM
Well I cobbled together vehovehiculuphobia (or just vehiculuphobia) using an online latin dictionary. But that is not an official term.

Tirian
2009-07-28, 07:47 PM
One might take a stab that "aurigaphobia" might be fairly described as the fear of driving a chariot (which also seems to cover being the helmsman of a ship, so perhaps it is a good general word for "driver"). Or if you wanted to be mythological, "phaetoniphobia" might be the specific fear of crashing your father's expensive chariot. But Google gives absolutely no results for either of these terms (until this post gets linked, I suppose), so if you are looking for therapy "driving phobia" is the term that will get you results.

Lerky
2009-07-28, 09:41 PM
One might take a stab that "aurigaphobia" might be fairly described as the fear of driving a chariot (which also seems to cover being the helmsman of a ship, so perhaps it is a good general word for "driver"). Or if you wanted to be mythological, "phaetoniphobia" might be the specific fear of crashing your father's expensive chariot. But Google gives absolutely no results for either of these terms (until this post gets linked, I suppose), so if you are looking for therapy "driving phobia" is the term that will get you results.

aurigaphobia? Hm...pronounced Aw-re-go-fo-bia right?