PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heroes

Umael
2009-07-28, 10:26 PM
I was wondering who all is familiar with Iron Heroes and what are people's opinions on it.

Personally, I love it. It defies the whole "people don't like low-magic games" while still allowing magic. Furthermore, it has a very Conan-esque feel to it, and the classes all feel very much balanced with respect to one another.

My own problem is that I am currently running a game of it and not playing, having basically said, "I bought the book, we're going to play!" This is my first gaming experience with it.

awa
2009-07-28, 10:48 PM
For the most part it's a good system particularly in regards to skills
but i find some of the classes are a bit clunky.

Alysar
2009-07-29, 12:28 AM
I'm in a semi-regular campaign, and I have to say that I actually like it better than D&D.

I like how the classes are set up. Instead of defining a different 'flavor' of character, they define a different fighting style. The character's flavor is defined in other ways.

I also like the mastery feats, which are something like a cross between hierarchical feat trees, and prestige classes.

I hate what 4e did to the alignment system, and I have to say that it's better not having one at all.

Armor is done in an interesting way, too. Instead of reducing your chances of getting hit, it gives you a damage reduction roll (roll a die, and that much is deducted from the damage you take).

Basically, Iron Heroes gives the player a massive amount of ways to customize your character.

I'm running a Harrier (speed & agility based fighting) who actually has an in-combat speed of 50 (normally 40) and regularly tumbles past an enemy to flank with himself.

And he's only level 2.

My only complaint is that humans are the only playable race, but I think they were going for a modicum of realism.

Umael
2009-07-29, 08:43 AM
Although, yes, humans are the only playable race, I loved how they handled that by introducing traits.

(For those that don't know, you pick two traits that basically allow you to customize your "race" - such as picking Strong and giving yourself +2 Strength, but -2 Intelligence and -2 to one other ability of your choosing.)

kkortekaas
2009-07-29, 09:20 AM
It my groups choice system when we run anything fantasy, I love how as an Archer at level 5, I'm still remaining damage compeititve with the rest of my party (consisting of a dedicatant (sp?), a beserker and a harrier)

subject42
2009-07-29, 09:41 AM
Iron Heroes is a blast. The only house rule that I've implemented is that you get the average of a DR roll for your armor on every hit, rather than rolling every single time. It speeds up combat a bit.

Cieyrin
2009-07-29, 11:20 AM
You can play other races, as it is mentioned in the adaption to other systems section, though they don't get choice of traits, they get their normal racial features, which doesn't include the 2nd feat at 1st level, I believe.

As for the game itself, I love the rule system, I just never managed to get a game together to actually play, given its uniqueness and slightly rules-heavy system. Also considering I'm the only person among my gaming buddies that seems to have a copy, it puts that strain on learning how it differs, as well. Ah well, maybe someday I'll finally manage to get a game where I won't have to DM it but can actually play.

Yora
2009-07-29, 01:01 PM
For some illigical reason, I don't like the concept of tokens.

Unfortunately the classes rely havily on these, so I never really made use of them. Though I think the ideas are great.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 01:47 PM
For some illigical reason, I don't like the concept of tokens.

What is it about them you don't like? Lots of games, RPG and otherwise, use token-like resource mechanics for renewable resources (heck, psionic focus is a token mechanic).

Cieyrin
2009-07-29, 04:30 PM
Not all of the classes do. The Harrier, Thief and the feat monkey class that I can't remember the name of don't.

Umael
2009-07-29, 05:29 PM
Not all of the classes do. The Harrier, Thief and the feat monkey class that I can't remember the name of don't.

That would be the Man-at-Arms.

Actually, even those classes could use tokens, depending on the build (because certain feats gain you access to tokens).

I also seem to recall that the Arcanist doesn't use tokens either. Don't recall if the three extra classes from Iron Heroes Players Companion do.

Cieyrin
2009-07-29, 07:37 PM
All I'm saying is those 3 don't inherently do so. They can go through the motions of going to the appropriate feat chains. And you're right about the Arcanist as well.