PDA

View Full Version : EnergyRay+OffensivePrescience+GreaterPowerSpeciali zation=Uberness??

MarvisSahad
2009-07-29, 12:22 AM
Doing the math with GPS and CP combined (assuming CP's benefits are augmented to the max for a 20th level user, and you hitting an opponent within 30ft of you), spending 1 point on energy ray (fire or cold) will potentially land you a damage roll between 14 (4 for GPS, 8 for CP, 1 for regular ER and 1 for the bonus damage from fire or cold) and 19!!!! For 1 mere power point!!! Not much damage when you're at 20th level, but considering that it's such a pitiful price to pay it means you can last a whole siege picking off opponents or taking your time with a single tough boss (10 hits alone would do at least 140 damage, and 10 PP).

So what's your verdict? Should Combat Prescience be allowed for damage-rolls from powers, or should it be restricted to more melee/bow damage rolls? I'm thinking about taking this power for my ray-based Nomad, but I fear that this may unbalance the game a lot for the DM.

Arbitrarity
2009-07-29, 12:27 AM
That's.... nothing. At all. It's worse than the wizardly equivalent, reserve feats (eat 9d6 at will, in an AOE, reflex half). All of 12 extra damage per hit, at that rate? Still worse than a warlock.
Honestly, all-day damage is overrated. Why not get Hank's Energy Bow or somesuch, if you want to keep doing damage forever.

Saph
2009-07-29, 12:31 AM
Honestly, it's fine. It just means that you have a backup option when you run low on PPs, which means you're still moderately effective when playing endurance runs. It's not unbalanced by any means. Don't worry about it.

- Saph

MarvisSahad
2009-07-29, 12:34 AM
Honestly, all-day damage is overrated. Why not get Hank's Energy Bow or somesuch, if you want to keep doing damage forever.

Well considering that my character took the VOP feat (for flavor; I know that VOP sucks tactically speaking) I can't exactly take such magical/psionic items without some penalty. Putting that aside, thanks for arguing in favor of applying CP (although I am all ears to everyone else who may disagree.)

Arbitrarity
2009-07-29, 12:46 AM
Even so, you just burned 3 feats, 2 powers known, have to be in 30 feet, have to manifest a 19 PP augmented power, so you can plink with 1d6+12 damage per round, after you lose the first round manifesting the buff. The initial power use only pays for itself after 10 rounds of straight shooting, and the damage is still mediocre compared to a fighter with a longbow, with no feats required.

Admittedly, as a psion, this isn't your only trick, but 3 feats is about a quarter of your total, and 1/18 of your powers known, for a small bit of damage on endurance runs. Depends on how the rest of your build looks, but it's not an investment I would make, especially just for damage.

And this is assuming level 20. At such a level, a hellfire warlock (assuming standard Incarnum/Naberius trickery to avoid penalty, and Chausible of Fell power) deals 17d6 at will, or 17-102 (59.5 average) each round.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-29, 11:48 AM
Warlock deals 8d6(28) every round, adds a cha-based save to it, and can change the blast to hit multiple opponents or ones at 250'. And that's without HFW, Meta SLA, or any items. 19 damageis nothing when the Rogue deals that much without SA.

Eloel
2009-07-29, 11:55 AM
Reserve Feats are at-will, deal more damage, take 1 feat and 1 spell-slot to be effective. That's FAR more effective than this...

(Yes, that makes the Psion more balanced. So?)

MarvisSahad
2009-07-29, 12:04 PM
The initial power use only pays for itself after 10 rounds of straight shooting, and the damage is still mediocre compared to a fighter with a longbow, with no feats required.

I'm a little confused on what you mean "pays for itself"; in what way? Did you take into account that Offensive Prescience lasts 1min per level?

Concerning the fighter+longbow example; since I'm using D20 SRD rules, how does a 1d8 longbow beat out 14-19 damage? Enchanted I take it?

Putting that all aside, however, I see your point about burning feats and powers known. It's a relatively high price to pay for a 13 damage bonus. I'll have to rethink my choices then.

Myrmex
2009-07-29, 12:20 PM
Concerning the fighter+longbow example; since I'm using D20 SRD rules, how does a 1d8 longbow beat out 14-19 damage? Enchanted I take it?

Combined with multiple attacks and a source of bonus damage, like skirmish or sneak attack.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-29, 12:52 PM
I'm a little confused on what you mean "pays for itself"; in what way? Did you take into account that Offensive Prescience lasts 1min per level?

Putting that all aside, however, I see your point about burning feats and powers known. It's a relatively high price to pay for a 13 damage bonus. I'll have to rethink my choices then.Enlarged Fighter(permanent at level 10 just to be effective) dealing 1d10+5(GMW)+5(Composite)+Holy/Bane/Other magical enhancements deals more than that per attack. And since he's also Hasted and the bow is Splitting, he'll be making a lot of attacks. Pelor Forbid he should use a Returning Javelin or a Sling instead.

MarvisSahad
2009-07-29, 12:52 PM
Combined with multiple attacks and a source of bonus damage, like skirmish or sneak attack.

Skirmish and sneak attacks don't apply to fighters, unless they are multi-classed, or there's some new feat I've never heard of they could take.

MarvisSahad
2009-07-29, 12:59 PM
Enlarged Fighter(permanent at level 10 just to be effective) dealing 1d10+5(GMW)+5(Composite)+Holy/Bane/Other magical enhancements deals more than that per attack. And since he's also Hasted and the bow is Splitting, he'll be making a lot of attacks. Pelor Forbid he should use a Returning Javelin or a Sling instead.

Once again, I see everyone's point. Enough said.

Doc Roc
2009-07-29, 01:00 PM

Knowledge devotion sends its cordial regards.

Fishy
2009-07-29, 01:05 PM
Spending 10pp to get 140 damage is pretty nice.

Spending 10 *turns* to get 140 damage is quite terrible.

May I direct your attention to Strike of Perfect Clarity, from Tome of Battle? While you were plinking, the Warblade did five of those, for a 'guaranteed minimum' of 500 damage.