PDA

View Full Version : Revenge - Chi don't read this

HappySkunk
2009-07-29, 01:12 AM
Hrm.. I' not sure how to go about asking this.. or what exactly I am asking.

I'm running my first evil party campaign. Its only my second campaign and my players have much more faith in me than I do.
All this information is pretty useless to know, I'm stalling. On to the question!

Wizards and revenge

The party tortured and killed a random good wizard who was just chillin at a bar making scrolls. They cast remove fear on him first, to see how he'd react to said torture if he couldn't be afraid of.
I can't remember what all they did, necrotic cyst, Love's pain, summoned a fiendish alligator to eat his feet... stuff like that...
Without fear, the wizard felt a hella lot of anger.

They killed the poor little guy by exploding the cyst turnin it into little undead. They killed that too and cleaned up the room their usual way, summon fiendish pigs eat up the body then prestidigitating the place clean.
(They do this as a homage to one of my fav movies, snatch. Ain't they sweet? *snugs them*)

Anyway. I was wanting to know how this very pissed, very dead, wizard could get revenge.

I don't know if there are any death curse spells or anything.
If there are, what are they? If not how should I go about making one?

I've got the worst memory for rules (my strengths lay in story weaving, or so I've been told) so I use my man, the walking D&D dictionary, for most of my answers.
But I want this to be a sorta surprise, and he's a player at the moment.

So any help would be very much loved!

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 01:19 AM
What level-ish is the party/the victim?

Also, as a general rule - remember that the GM is obliged to follow the rules, but is also encouraged to make up new ones to help. If you want to make up a new curse, go nuts.

And as an aside, this kind of campaign totally squicks me...

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-29, 01:24 AM
Ghost wizard. Vengeful, highly calculating ghost wizard.

Stalk the party from the etheral plane, and strike when they've let down their guard.

Say they Rope Trick somewhere for the night. Cast Wall of Stone around it, and fill the inside with water. Things like that.

The Mentalist
2009-07-29, 06:22 AM
Say they Rope Trick somewhere for the night. Cast Wall of Stone around it, and fill the inside with water.

Then cast Water to Acid on your new pool.

herceg
2009-07-29, 07:27 AM
Wait, I thought you wrote "evil" party and not "sick murderous bastards" party... *shakes head*

Yeah, ghost-ness or some other sort of "i came back to haunt you". Curst? Revenant (just guessin', I don't know the rules concerning them).

Or, you can go the easy way - have his Master kick their ass. He had to learn from someone. That someone could simply discover what they did to his beloved student. Now his favourite hobby will be the torturing of the party (and ruining every single thing they do or even think at). High level wizards have resources... ;>

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-29, 08:03 AM
Generally speaking, the wizard probably had friends... and wizard's friends typically speaking, are more powerful than Joe Commoner and Bob the Drunk.

Lots of possible ways to implement this.

1) - Political revenge. What if the wizard happened to have a very well-off (possibly royal) patron? You could potentially sic an entire nation on them if you felt like it. (I mean they'd be in enough trouble for murder; but when you murder a Duke's personal wizard... oi...)

2) - More direct approach; the wizard's master (as noted above); or even perhaps an adventuring party he used to be a part of decide to get even.

3) - With the right connections: True Resurrection. The now-not-very-dead but *very* PO'd wizard can personally rally his allies.

4) - Completely unrelated to the wizard himself getting revenge; instead the authorities get wind of the murder. Or worse for the PCs - an order of Paladins. (Sometimes when you need a righteous ass-whipping, the best solution is to use an actual honest-to-goodness righteous boot to do it.)

>.> My suggestions any way.

HappySkunk
2009-07-29, 09:43 PM
Thank you all so much!

Yeah I know I can make stuff up if I wanna, I just wanna make sure I make it semi-believable. I've pulled random **** on the players before, in the other game. I don't wanna make them curse my name with their fists in the air for a year and a half just before bed time for it either ;p

--
ta AstralFire
re: What level-ish is the party/the victim?

party is 10th, vic.. no idea, prolly low lvl.
The party was just in a bar and the paladin of slaughter detected good in the area. So I went just said the first thing that popped into my head.
Some guy writing all alone at a table. And it just kinda went fro there as if I knew what I had planned all along ><

--
ta Pharaoh's Fist

I like the ghost idea very much

--
ta herceg

re: sick murderous bastards

Hehe, gotta let um unwind after bring the good guys against a world o' **** in the last game I guess.

I also Like the Master idea. Very much so...

--
ta mistformsquirrl

All very good and wonderful ideas

I like the res get your own revenge thing too, always fun.

Don't think the pally thing would work so much in this town.
Its a city based around the principles of Hieroneous, who fell to the dark side a couple thousand years ago...
Though I can see the still very lawful, if not good, town knights kickng some assets.

--

Thanks again everyone for your help! I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed last night. I've got so many juicy ideas now the problem will be picking the one I like best. Maybe some combo... hrm..

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-30, 05:57 AM
Idk if this would count, but..

You could have the Wizard be a emissary for someone else very powerful, perhaps he was an apprentice to a rather powerful wizard?

If anything its something to hitch story line on.
Nothing says Vengeance on a Evil party like a High Level wizard or cleric casting Geas / Quest followed up with Mark of Justice. ^_^

Would make for some fun RP too.

HappySkunk
2009-08-03, 02:47 AM
indeed it would
with uch a 'mweeheeheheee" from me as well.
;p

Gamgee
2009-08-03, 02:54 AM
Wait, I thought you wrote "evil" party and not "sick murderous bastards" party... *shakes head*

Yeah, ghost-ness or some other sort of "i came back to haunt you". Curst? Revenant (just guessin', I don't know the rules concerning them).

Or, you can go the easy way - have his Master kick their ass. He had to learn from someone. That someone could simply discover what they did to his beloved student. Now his favourite hobby will be the torturing of the party (and ruining every single thing they do or even think at). High level wizards have resources... ;>

At least they managed to get the evil right. Although this is pretty damn twisted. Although it bring me a smile to know that they will destroy themselves in short order. ;)

I would go so far as to make the wizard come back somehow so that he can "work with them", and slowly turn them all against each other. By the time the few that are remaining know what is going on they are too weak to stop him. MUAHAHAHA.

Edit
Also for the record it would be neat to put someone like Rorsarch after them because of this. Obviously not a wizard, but a skilled.... vigilante.

Haven
2009-08-03, 04:20 AM
I think the effects shouldn't be immediate, but it should come back to bite them later. Give them time to forget about it while they go on with the plot. Then have one or two unexpected obstacles that they never quite figure out where they came from. And then have this ghost/resurrected wizard and/or his friends/patrons start making their lives hell. And then, in the middleof dealing with that, have them realize why this is happening to them.

Bobo
2009-08-03, 06:46 AM
...and cleaned up the room their usual way, summon fiendish pigs eat up the body then prestidigitating the place clean...

0.o

I can't believe i've never heard of this before. Or though of it myself. That's brilliant! The spiteful pragmatism of it. Actually dealing with the mess, yet desecrating the hapless bystander even more. It's so evil it's almost refreshing. My cleric must start doing things like this immediately.
I wonder if anyone is lame enough to point out prestidigitation is not a cleric spell :p
Does anyone thing doing this would warrant an allignment change from True Neutral :p

As a side note, maybe the wizard could visit people in their dreams and stuff, send messages to important people, churches or bounty hunters. I don't know exactly how being dead works, but i'm sure a decent wizard would be able to contact someone to exact righteous vengence. Can you wish when you're dead?

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-03, 07:27 AM
Regarding alignment, it would depend on why you killed the victim in my view. Using Evil summoned creatures to clean up the mess would probably shift you to Evil if you did it enough, though. Which diety does your Cleric worship, Bobo?

Uec
2009-08-03, 07:56 AM
Well, have him be the nephew of someone awfully important, like the duke of the district they are in

Someone important enough to find out *exactly* what happened with his nephew, and get his hands on a True Resurection

Then this wizard they killed go for a bit of serious powerleveling, and start acquiring allies, not necessarily *good* allies, but there must be any number of people taking offense to that action - his master, his entire familly, pretty much everyone not bat**** insane

Skorj
2009-08-03, 10:08 AM
The good wizard was rezzed by his wife / partner / dog, CoDzilla.

Wonza rezzed tortured wizard with no feet, wonza high level cleric with revenge on her mind, together they fight crime Evil!

Killer Angel
2009-08-03, 10:28 AM
Ghost wizard. Vengeful, highly calculating ghost wizard.

Stalk the party from the etheral plane, and strike when they've let down their guard.

Say they Rope Trick somewhere for the night. Cast Wall of Stone around it, and fill the inside with water. Things like that.

This is my favourite.
He will reform on the next moonless night (so it will pass some week), then he'll begin stalking them.
Funny enough, he could simply observe them, learning all the tricks they use, than this ghost will manifest to their next enemy... revealing to him all of their tactics, spell list, etc..
And then he will help in the following ambush. :smallcool:

Tallis
2009-08-03, 12:43 PM
I like the ghost idea.

Another take would be that the wizard was actually a good outsider cursed into mortal form. Killing him broke the curse and sent him back to his home plane. Now he knows the PCs are out there though and it's his job to fight evil. He's actually a fairly high ranked outsider and has quite a few minions working for him. For now he'll send them after the PCs while he recovers. He can also contact good clerics to keep tabs on them and cause problems when they can. These clerics may start showing up with disturbing regularity helping the PC's targets. Of course the occasional ambush by angels isn't going to help them. Eventually he will recover fully and come after them himself at full power with a force of angels and clerics at his back.

Now...what if it was an evil outsider? Mephistopholes in human form. He might come after them for revenge. Then again, once they prove their strength he might try to recruit them. Of course if they do start working for them he might just be feeling a little moody one day and betray them fore what they did to him...