PDA

View Full Version : best/worst rolls for a level 1

almightyk
2009-07-29, 06:48 AM
hey
just wondering what some of peoples best and worst stat rolls have been and for what kind of character
this isnt including rerolls because you didnt like the numbers
this is for proper rolls while rolling up a character

my two best would have to be
15 15 13 12 13 13
and
18 12 16 14 17 9

dont really have a bad one because i havent done that many

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-29, 06:52 AM
My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16. So good that I couldn't actually think of a character to use them on. :smallbiggrin:

I don't remember the worst that I've actually used...I do know it was pretty bad though.

almightyk
2009-07-29, 06:57 AM
My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16.

nice roll
so... how many re rolls did that take? lol

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:16 AM
With no rerolls, my best is 16, 16, 15, 15, 14, 10. Druid.

With no rerolls, my worst is 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 11. Barbarian.

Can you tell I've only played two characters?

Djinn! You should have made a Monk! With those stats, it'd be hard to suck!

Random832
2009-07-29, 07:25 AM
My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16. So good that I couldn't actually think of a character to use them on. :smallbiggrin:

It was probably your only chance to play a Monk :smallcool:

almightyk
2009-07-29, 07:28 AM
so whats so fancy about a monk?
why do you need high stats?
i have heard monks can end up causing a TPK if not played right.
why is that?

Daefos
2009-07-29, 07:44 AM
They depend on too many of their ability scores, so unless you have really good stats all-round, a monk will likely start to falter in some area it's supposed to be good at. By contrast, classes like wizards and druids can get away with just pumping up a single stat, making them more effective since it's the only thing they need to worry about.

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:46 AM
Both:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:49 AM
Both:

I bet you played a Half-Orc barbarian, and made the 5 your Strength and one of the 18s your Charisma.

I would have threatened to do that, for laughs.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-29, 07:50 AM
My best:

16 16 16 16 16 13. No, I'm not kidding. >_<;; I rolled that... then sadly had to drop out of the campaign since the DM for it had stopped posting, I assumed it would be a dead game, and went on to another campaign... then found out it was going but had already joined another and didn't want to risk distraction since I was up to 3 games by that point >.<;

Worst... uhh... I actually don't remember. Anything bad enough, DMs tend to let me re-roll, so it doesn't stick in the old noggin very long >.>;; I'd imagine something like this though:

11 10 12 6 8 7 - It's probably not exact; but it seems like something I would roll on a poor day <'x'>

Eldan
2009-07-29, 07:51 AM
I bet you played a Half-Orc barbarian, and made the 5 your Strength and one of the 18s your Charisma.

I would have threatened to do that, for laughs.

I actually played a Druid/Barbarian. The 18's and 17's went into the physical stats, with a charisma of 5. The setting was Sweden, approximately 800AD, our world. We were level 2 and I was the local hermit who talked to animals and never cut his hair or got near water. He also couldn't talk in a way that made much sense, limiting himself to mostly growling. Was a fun character.

Gnorman
2009-07-29, 07:54 AM
My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16. So good that I couldn't actually think of a character to use them on.

Easy choice. The Best Wizard Ever.

daggaz
2009-07-29, 07:54 AM
Ive actually never rolled because nobody ever lets me play their reindeer games :smallfrown:

Ive been at a few point buy games tho. Its better, but well... *sigh* it takes the fun randomness out of it, not to mention it can push you into RP directions you weren't expecting...

4d6b3

Kantur
2009-07-29, 08:04 AM
I can't remember it exactly, but it was something really bad. And no, I didn't get to reroll it. It was something like 12, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10.

To become even within a mile of competant, I had to decide on an Elven Rogue, just to get me to having a bonus of 2 on anything... The constitution penalty and other rogue in the party made it look even worse, I wasn't too upset when the character came close to death or the campaign finished early.

Best stats I think I've rolled are actually on my current character (2nd edition Bard [Galant Kit if anyone's interested]) The only stat he's actually got a bonus on is Charisma (Rolled a 16, currently 17 after a divine pool that could give bonuses or penalties depending on your luck), but he's got decent Int (Currently 15) and Dex (Current 13) and nothing was rolled below a 10. I think the pre-divine pool bonuses it was 16, 14, 12, 11, 11, 10. But he does his job well enough :smallwink:

almightyk
2009-07-29, 08:05 AM
Ive actually never rolled because nobody ever lets me play their reindeer games :smallfrown:

Ive been at a few point buy games tho. Its better, but well... *sigh* it takes the fun randomness out of it, not to mention it can push you into RP directions you weren't expecting...

4d6b3

hmm
thats a thought
a reindeer in DnD
what would its stats and stuff be?

almightyk
2009-07-29, 08:08 AM

4d6b3

hmm
thats a thought
a reindeer in DnD
and i mean like how their are centaurs and minoaurs and gnolls and stuff
humanoid stuff
what would its stats and stuff be?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-29, 10:01 AM
nice roll
so... how many re rolls did that take? lol

None, actually. I was rather pleasantly surprised by my luck that evening. :smallbiggrin:

In retrospect, I wish I had finished by 20th level Chameleon class a few weeks sooner. It would have been perfect.

Zaggab
2009-07-29, 11:13 AM
In my group, we normally don't roll for stats. The last time we tried rolling for stats can serve as a demonstration to the primary reason why not. At the same time, it demonstrates the best rolls I have witnessed, as well as the worst.

One player, on his first try, rolls 18, 18, 17, 14, 12, 10 (or something similiar, it was worth about 60 points in point-buy).
Another player gets something like 11, 10, 10, 9, 8, 6. He then rerolls. He gets similar stats the next time. He rerolls 5 times more. His best set of attributes over like 7-8 rerolls is something like 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, 5.

Arakune
2009-07-29, 11:18 AM
Another player gets something like 11, 10, 10, 9, 8, 6. He then rerolls. He gets similar stats the next time. He rerolls 5 times more. His best set of attributes over like 7-8 rerolls is something like 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, 5.

He got the [I suck] inherited template. You need a ritual to get it off.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-29, 11:28 AM
Worst? No rerolls, I ended up with a 4/7/5/12/3/14.

With rerolls? 15/17/16/14/17/18. I rock when I get to reroll stats.

Best? DM house ruled a Yahtzee rule. 4 of a kind, you keep the whole roll instead of dropping the lowest die. He also made us reroll 1's and 2's. I don't remember the exact rolls, but I know none of my stats were under 16, and at least 2 were above 20 before race.

Without that house rule? I often end up with 17/15/16/15/18/18. I've had those kind of stats for 6 different characters so far. The other players in that particular group are allowed rerolls based on if I roll well for that character. Needless to say, they like it when I roll well.

AmberVael
2009-07-29, 11:44 AM
Best rolls?
18, 18, 18, 14, 10, 3.

Or something thereabouts. I know I had three 18s and a 3 for certain though.
I started as a Half-Orc barbarian, and my 3 charisma couldn't be lowered below 3, for whatever reason... or maybe I had rolled a 5 and got it lowered to three. Can't remember.
I do know that later, in game, it got lowered to 2.

Might I add that this was my first character ever?
His name was Crunch.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-29, 12:23 PM
Worst? Not D&D, but a system with 9 stats, 3d6 in order, 2 4d6b3 to replace stats for humans, after the rerolls, went from 5-10 with one 15. That's right, 8 out of 9 with a +0 or worse modifier. No reroll allowed.

There's a reason I prefer pt-buy.

Shraik
2009-07-29, 12:28 PM
I made a Pixie Warlock once that got seven legal rerolls, meaning that the total of all bonuses was never greater then plus one. The final role made it because I got an eighteen, but the rest was awful. It was something like 18, 7, 12,13,10,11. That's more then plus one, so I did a dandy job.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-07-29, 12:29 PM
The first character I ever rolled was 18 18 18 18 10 3. I think the dice were messed up or something. It's too bad the game never got past the first session.

waterpenguin43
2009-07-29, 12:34 PM
My first character: -18 -18 -16 -13 -13 -12.
I was a cleric/druid/wavkeeper.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 12:37 PM
I made a Pixie Warlock once that got seven legal rerolls, meaning that the total of all bonuses was never greater then plus one. The final role made it because I got an eighteen, but the rest was awful. It was something like 18, 7, 12,13,10,11. That's more then plus one, so I did a dandy job.

Her dice rolls appear to have had a habit of faeling.

Blue Warlock
2009-07-29, 12:52 PM
Worst? No rerolls, I ended up with a 4/7/5/12/3/14.

With rerolls? 15/17/16/14/17/18. I rock when I get to reroll stats.

Best? DM house ruled a Yahtzee rule. 4 of a kind, you keep the whole roll instead of dropping the lowest die. He also made us reroll 1's and 2's. I don't remember the exact rolls, but I know none of my stats were under 16, and at least 2 were above 20 before race.

Without that house rule? I often end up with 17/15/16/15/18/18. I've had those kind of stats for 6 different characters so far. The other players in that particular group are allowed rerolls based on if I roll well for that character. Needless to say, they like it when I roll well.

I have a DM with similar rules. We do 4d6 drop lowest reroll 1's and 2's, no yahtzee though.
I found out that this was the generation method he used for all of his characters, because when I or any other DM said "the usual" for stat generation, instead of going with whats written in the PHB, or any other rulebook (I have looked all over, and I can't find where he even got this).
I made a factotum for his campaign that really can do everything though. Bewteen this and helping my girlfriend optimize a wizard for the campaign, we walked through the first adventure incredibly easily (we never even had to rest and went through about 11 encounters in 1 hour game time)
Hopefully it will teach him how messed up it is to use that stat generation method, especially in games where not everyone else has it.

John Campbell
2009-07-29, 01:15 PM
For an AD&D game a good many years back, I rolled, for an elven fighter/mage: 18, 16(+1), 17(-1), 16, 14, 13.

And then I rolled my hit dice (AD&D; you rolled at 1st level, and multiclass characters averaged the results), and got 1s on both dice.

And then I rolled height and weight, and got minimum height for a male elf, and near max weight... so I was basically built like a dwarf: 4'8", 118 pounds, an 18/36 Strength, and 3 hit points (yay Con bonus!).

Pretty much the only reason I survived long enough to get my second Fighter hit die was that almost anything I hit was guaranteed to die, and my Dex meant I was probably attacking first. There were a couple of fights where I was fighting with my belt knife just because it had a better weapon speed than my sword, and would still insta-kill anything I hit.

zarakstan
2009-07-29, 01:28 PM
Both:

I think that was my exact same best array ever :smallsmile: the bad part was the fact I had already decided on playing a gray-elf wizard so my array ended up looking something like this:
Str 12, Dex, 20, Con, 15, Int, 20, Wis, 16, Cha 5
Although I was still a wizard so I dominated :smalltongue:

Easy choice. The Best Wizard Ever.
As noted above I've done that, but it doesn't work very well because wizards only really need to be intelligent.
EDIT: Also, I'm new and as of yet have been unable to find a link to edit my profile, help on this would be most appreciated :smallsmile:
^
EDIT 2: | I found it :smallsmile:

Zergrusheddie
2009-07-29, 10:02 PM
The best was something like 18, 18, 16, 15, 5, 6. I believe that was my Monk. He was really strong, pretty fast, really wise, pretty tough, was proud that he was 2 times smarter than the Tarrasque, and was as well spoken as a garbage disposal. He was actually pretty neat. Played in that campaign for like 3 weeks but ended when the party was killed in a fortress but I managed to live after making an impressive jump and climb check to scale the walls and get the hell outta dodge.

My worst? Infernum game system. The DM rolled 4d6 drop lowest in order. We rolled a pair to see which one we wanted to play. I got something like:
STR: 7
DEX: 11
CON: 9
WIS: 10
INT: 3
CHA: 5

After the DM said that he wanted me to actually play this character, I said I was making an Imp (huge hit to Str and Con, hit to Cha, small bonus to Dex) and said I was robbing the nearest bank. After the DM realized that I had just rolled what couldn't even be a farmer, he let me re-roll.

I've also had one, I can't remember but it was going to be in a Troll campaign. Not sure what I rolled exactly, but it was another straight down the line thing and my physical states were only positive once I added in Racial Bonuses but I rolled an 18 for my CHA. I never got a chance to play "Morgrak the Cursed" because the campaign never started.

I have learnt something in my short time of playing; if I can even take a 22 point buy, it is better than having to roll the damn dice!

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-29, 10:10 PM
I have a DM with similar rules. We do 4d6 drop lowest reroll 1's and 2's, no yahtzee though.
I found out that this was the generation method he used for all of his characters, because when I or any other DM said "the usual" for stat generation, instead of going with whats written in the PHB, or any other rulebook (I have looked all over, and I can't find where he even got this).
I made a factotum for his campaign that really can do everything though. Bewteen this and helping my girlfriend optimize a wizard for the campaign, we walked through the first adventure incredibly easily (we never even had to rest and went through about 11 encounters in 1 hour game time)
Hopefully it will teach him how messed up it is to use that stat generation method, especially in games where not everyone else has it.

While it does boost the power of the characters, it makes classed-encounters viable. The Elite Array sucks hard, as does the "average" monster in the MM. It makes a great stat generator for unusual enemies, and closes the gap between weaker classes.

That said, a DM must be prepared to deal with that kind of power.

sofawall
2009-07-29, 10:32 PM
What does 4d6, drop 1s and 2 come out to in a point buy?

How about when you add Yahtzee?

EDIT: Oh man, I just imagined a level 4 kobold with 30 int...

(4*6+1 HD+3 Venerable+2 item)

almightyk
2009-07-30, 12:48 AM
Best rolls?
18, 18, 18, 14, 10, 3.

Or something thereabouts. I know I had three 18s and a 3 for certain though.
I started as a Half-Orc barbarian, and my 3 charisma couldn't be lowered below 3, for whatever reason... or maybe I had rolled a 5 and got it lowered to three. Can't remember.
I do know that later, in game, it got lowered to 2.

Might I add that this was my first character ever?
His name was Crunch.

only one thing to say
nice choice on dump stat

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-30, 01:34 AM
STR: 7
DEX: 11
CON: 9
WIS: 10
INT: 3
CHA: 5

Actually, that would have made for a pretty funny farmer.

"Okay, so, you've inherited your father's thousand acre farm, and have a bright future ahead of you. What's your first course of action?"

"Well, let's go plow the fields so I can plant some seeds."

"Alright *rolls* oooh, critical failure! *some more rolling* Looks like, due to your low int, you tripped over your own pitchfork before you even got to the plow. You try to turn aside as you fall, but due to your low dex, you get impaled. With your pathetic str, you find it impossible to pull the pitchfork out. The rapid bloodloss quickly makes you start fading to black thanks to your useless con...and finally, even your abyssmal wis kicks in and you call for help, but it turns out that with your non-existent cha, none of the farmhands care to help you, and you bleed to death in slow agony."

"...It was probably for the best."

"Yeah, I'd say so. Ready to re-roll?"

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 01:42 AM
That would be more like Str 3, Dex 5, Con 4, Wis 6, Int 6. Amusing, but... remember, 10 is average.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-30, 01:47 AM
Yeah, and in terms of being an adventurer, "average" is defined as "crap." I was being generous in light of it just being a farmer. I mean, there's not even a single +1 there, so the PC would have had a 55% chance to blow the best of those rolls, assuming they were at level-approriate DCs for "challenging" tasks, which is about as easy as any task gets when you suck THAT much.