PDA

View Full Version : Regarding house rules in D&D 3.5

Kingweasel
2009-07-29, 07:40 AM
Hi-
Looking for input on spell effects; specifically: As a spellcaster rises in level, certain spell effects increase, while others remain constant. This is a common and longstanding tradition.

But

Does anyone know of any reasonable reason a spellcaster can't tone down the effects of a spell?

For instance, Entangle has a variable range depending on caster level, but the area of effect is a constant 40' radius spread. Why couldn't someone, who "knows" the spell downgrade it to, say, half that, and entangle only a 20' radius spread?

Hopefully this is not a rehash, I did check the forums for duplicate type discussions...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:45 AM
I don't see why one couldn't do this. I'm sure if I had powerful arcane might at my disposal, I'd know how to purposely weaken it when necessary, just as a fighter can (in real life at least) hold back and deal less damage.

Eldariel
2009-07-29, 07:46 AM
But he can! You're allowed to cast spells at any caster level available to you (up to the minimum needed to cast the spell IIRC). So you can cast level 1 spells at CL 1, level 2 at CL 3 and so on should you so desire.

kamikasei
2009-07-29, 07:50 AM
Ah, but the example use the OP cites is downgrading something not dependent on caster level. And there's arguably a balance concern there, in that spells with large areas, for example, are supposed to be inherently "big guns" that risk collateral damage if not deployed carefully. (Whether this concern is large enough to invalidate the proposed house rule, I wouldn't guess...)

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-29, 07:55 AM
Wasn't there a Metamagic feat from 3.0e that did something like this?

"Sculpt Spell" I think? You could alter the spell's area effect (if I recall right - this is quite hazy!) from a cone to a cylinder, or to a burst, or I think even multiple smaller areas.

Guh... can't remember to well. I could swear it let you cut down the area and/or modify it's general shape >.<

Eldariel
2009-07-29, 08:00 AM
*Shrug* Mastery of Shaping and Extraordinary Spell Aim enable shaping the spell then; feats present such auxillary knowledge on manipulating a spell. Though I agree it'd be sorta sensible for some spells to automatically become shapeable as you increase in levels.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 08:04 AM
I would allow it, but require a full-round cast time for such minor metamagic. And I'm talking real fast and loose here, you wouldn't get to pull it with a spell that has a radius expressed in miles and then you shunt it down to three squares.

feyanor
2009-07-29, 10:44 AM
I think specificially battlefield control spells such as entangle are quite problematic there, since it is supposed to hinder your party as well as the enemy... So with such spells I would only allow such a modification if the player had invested somtething in it, for example a charge of a lesser wand of metamagic(sculpt spell) or the like.

As a side note: If the area was dependent on caster level though, I'd say you can adjust your caster level as much as you like.

Kingweasel
2009-07-29, 06:00 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions and musings. I'm torn on the issue because I see the game balance viewpoint ("I cast Fireball in his flagon of ale") but also think Dark Fiddler is right regarding controlling magic. I'm sure there probably are some other spells that address this, but I'm trying not to introduce any other books into the game at this time (just sticking w/the basic play books), so I think the answer probably lies somewhere in between. Maybe making certain effects reducible (reducable? reduce-able? reducifiable?) but only by a certain amount. Maybe half or a quarter of the original, and making it full round cast time as AstralFire suggested.

Thanks again, Brainpool!

Skorj
2009-07-29, 06:04 PM
Having spell effect areas bigger than desired is a real and important balancing effect on spell power. Now, if you were looking for a boost for underpowered wizards, this would be a good approach, but you clearly said 3.5 so that can't be right. :smallamused:

Kingweasel
2009-07-29, 06:19 PM
I'm in a 10 (ten!) person party comprised of seasoned vets and "look-at-my pretty-dice" noobs. The DM is awesome, but unfamiliar with magic (apparently he's always been a sword-toting smashemup guy) so he generally is willing to accept whatever group discussion comes up with re magic as long as it sounds reasonable.

Of course, the sorcerer, druid, wizard, and 1 of 2 clerics are new players, which means they're still figuring out what they can and can't do.

It's kind of like giving a baby a gun--eventually she'll find the trigger and pull it, but for the most part you're just gonna get a slobber and snot covered piece of metal.:smallsigh:

Kallisti
2009-07-29, 06:27 PM
Wasn't there a Metamagic feat from 3.0e that did something like this?

"Sculpt Spell" I think? You could alter the spell's area effect (if I recall right - this is quite hazy!) from a cone to a cylinder, or to a burst, or I think even multiple smaller areas.

Guh... can't remember to well. I could swear it let you cut down the area and/or modify it's general shape >.<

Yes, Sculpt Spell would do the trick. It increses the spell level by one, I believe...

If I were you, I might houserule that you can shrink a spell with a level of up to one-third or maybe one-quarter of your level, depending on how much your players would abuse that sort of thing...