PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon + D&D = Fun?

Croverus
2009-07-29, 02:03 PM
I'm getting started on creating a homebrew D&D campaign, using the types of pokemon as classes, so that when you start out as a little lv1 pokemon you are that type's "class", and multiclassing gives you multiple types. You are limited to only 3 types, and the penalties for doing so include "class weaknesses". Just as a fire pokemon normally is strong against grass types, the fire class is strong against the grass class, and against the bug class, so if a character has levels in bug and grass, he takes a lot of damage from fire attacks.

The Str, Dex, Sta, Int, Wis, and Cha are replaced as Attack, Speed, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defence, and Personality (I made up Personality). The numbers will follow a scale similar to the pokemon games. Also, you aren't a specific pokemon that already is made. In fact unless you plan on emulating such a pokemon you are totally new. Yes origional pokemon exist but they are mostly just NPCs. Instead of "player races" to determine bonuses to starting stats, players will pick their pokemon's "personality" similar to the nature in the newest GBA Pokemon games. For example, a Lazy pokemon gains bonuses in defense but loses speed. The specifics will be up in a few days, on this. But I wanted to see what other people thought about my concept.

It will be mostly about fighting, yes, but roleplaying is also important. "Class abilities" are replaced with the attacks aligned with your pokemon type. All characters start with 2 basic attacks, which will be completely dependent on the player's shape. If the pokemon you design has no arms or legs, you'll probably have Tackle, but not scratch. Abilities like Tail Whip would require you to describe your pokemon as having a tail, and Peck would need abeak, or a horn at the least. You are not limited by what your pokemon looks like. And every time it levels up you can alter its appearance. The point is that as I play, by the time a player is getting towards level 30 they shoudl have a good idea what their pokemon is like.

Also, PrCs do exist, but I don't have any premade, you make them up when your pokemon evolves. You choose how many forms your pokemon has, to a limit of 4 stages. You choose how you evolve ahead of time. There are several starting options about evolution, I'll list them if I have a handful of people interested.

This will end up being a very indepth and detailed way of "creating" new pokemon for another game I'll be starting in 2010. If you are interested, post here or PM me, and I'lls tart making a list of people interested in helping out. I shoudl be posting the rules for character creation sometime next weekend, this is basically a "should I bother" deal.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 02:11 PM
This is not going to work out very well without a complete overhaul of the system. 3.5 does not do a very good job of modeling things which deviate from its core engine, and implementing multipliers straight from the game like 2x weaknesses will not only result in some insane damage spikes, it will be a more boring version of the system already in place via the GBA/DS. You can do a d20 pokemon, but it's not going to be as simple as just making Pokemon classes.

I would use the TCG as a better starting point for inspiration on mechanics. The point of tabletop conversions of video games is not to play the video game, only with less graphics; it is to play in the world of that game, retaining the basic feel of its mechanics while streamlining them sufficiently to work with napkin and head math.

Jothki
2009-07-29, 02:15 PM
Perhaps use the mechanics from a superhero-based system? They'd be more directly geared towards the kinds of abilities that Pokemon have.

Altaria87
2009-07-29, 02:17 PM
I'd be willing to help in the early stages, but after next friday I'll have sporadic at best internet acccess for two weeks...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 02:17 PM
3.5 does not do a very good job of modeling things which deviate from its core engine, and implementing multipliers straight from the game like 2x weaknesses will not only result in some insane damage spikes, it will be a more boring version of the system already in place via the GBA/DS.

Vulnerability already basically works like that (though x1.5 rather than x2), so I don't think having damage multipliers by type would be a problem--and in fact D&D's damage multiplication system would result in smaller spikes than the game has.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 02:22 PM
Vulnerability already basically works like that (though x1.5 rather than x2), so I don't think having damage multipliers by type would be a problem--and in fact D&D's damage multiplication system would result in smaller spikes than the game has.

Vulnerability isn't on every single thing though. You can't make builds counting on it.

And yeah, the game itself has some huge damage spikes. But you are a person controlling six pokemon; when T-Tar goes down, you can send out Salamence. The extremely fast win/loss and situations that are simply not counterable will get frustrating fast. Frex, the dragons are fan favorites, as much as I hate this fact. Who wants to main a Dragonite knowing that every time you see a Weavile, you had better run in fear behind your other teammates immediately, for fear it shall breathe on you?

Croverus
2009-07-29, 02:25 PM

That is how I considered weaknesses. That way just because an opponent has a type advantage, they aren't doing rediculous amounts of damage to you. The attack itself will detail the damage roll (so if you have an option between tackle and scratch, its like choosing a sword or a club) and the attack roll will depend on your Attack or Special Attack ability, modifiers,a dn the opponents Defense or Special Defense ability and modifiers. Since in D&D AC is both showing their chance to hit AND get past your armor, thats how defense should grow.

Croverus
2009-07-29, 02:29 PM
Another way of thinking about your attack option is think of in D&D 4e the powers that your class has. I might build it like that. Your pokemon with levels in the fire class can use ember all he wants, but flamethrower only once a fight, and fireblast once a day (i'll wokr out the number of times it can be done in the final version later, right now that's just an example.)

Croverus
2009-07-29, 02:37 PM
Would using 4e as a core be easier considering how my "race" and "class" statistics would work out? And the pokemon powers would be divided into at will, encounter, utility, and daily powers, like the classes in 4e.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 02:42 PM
Would using 4e as a core be easier considering how my "race" and "class" statistics would work out? And the pokemon powers would be divided into at will, encounter, utility, and daily powers, like the classes in 4e.

4E would be considerably easier as a core for this reason, though the way 4E's powers are designed, you can run into fatigue trying to make a lot of powers for one class. I've actually eyed it many times for such a conversion, though I'm ultimately not comfortable enough with the rules to begin serious homebrewing on it.

I still strongly recommend cutting down the number of types by looking to the TCG as a base and limit pokemon to one type, as most dual-type benefits can be modeled with class features (pokemon powers/bodies/abilities) if you expand their range. If you're going to go with dual types, you're going to have to consider how you handle vulnerabilities, because having 4x weaknesses is not going to be fun.

Altaria87
2009-07-29, 02:43 PM
I've never played 4e, but I like the sound of that, take this as an example for a level 1 fire type or something:
At Will:
Ember: 1d6 special attack
Scratch: 1d6 physical attack
Encounter:
Flame wheel: 1d4 damage each turn for 1d4 turns (reflex to avoid ongoing damage)
Utility:
Sunny Day: Dires up water, make fires stronger
Daily:
Flamethrower: 1d8 special to all enemies in a 20 foot line.

^Something like that may work

Mando Knight
2009-07-29, 02:49 PM
Using 4E as a base, I'd look at the Sorcerer or Druid for a lot of the powers. Possibly the Psion (PHB3, previewed in DDI).

...Wait, actually, that could work pretty well: a lot of the fan-favorites are members of 3-part evolution chains, so you could have each Pokemon evolve at the beginning of the new tier. For example, you would be Charmander for Heroic Tier, then Charmeleon for Paragon Tier, and Charizard for Epic Tier. Legendaries wouldn't be playable, though.

Croverus
2009-07-29, 02:51 PM
What about feats that would make a pokemon count as the second type. Like Onix is a Rock type, and has a feat that makes him ground as well. He's subject to ground's strengths and weaknesses but his stat improvements come from being rock.

This is the list of pokemon types, I think its all of them:
Normal, Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Rock, Ground, Ice, Flying, Bug, Poison, Fighting, Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, Steel, Dark

That should be all of them, I might be mising one. And when you count all the classes available in D&D 4e, it's only a couple more.

I can remember these classes off the top of my head for D&D 4e:
D&D 4e has Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Druid, Invoker, Ranger, Rouge, Paladin, Shaman, Sorcerer, Warlock, Warden, Wizard

Mando Knight
2009-07-29, 02:55 PM
I can remember these classes off the top of my head for D&D 4e:
D&D 4e has Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Druid, Invoker, Ranger, Rouge, Paladin, Shaman, Sorcerer, Warlock, Warden, Wizard

There's also the Artificer and Swordmage from the two <Campaign Setting> Player's Guides, and Monk and Psion from the DDI preview of PHB3. And then there's Hybrid, which is kinda like 3.5's Gestalt but with the classes chopped in half so they can use the same encounter scaling system.

Croverus
2009-07-29, 03:04 PM
There's also the Artificer and Swordmage from the two <Campaign Setting> Player's Guides, and Monk and Psion from the DDI preview of PHB3. And then there's Hybrid, which is kinda like 3.5's Gestalt but with the classes chopped in half so they can use the same encounter scaling system.

Exactly, if normal D&D 4e has that many calsses, then I should be able to make each type into a class. I'm wokring on a list of comman attacks a pokemon would learn and dividing them up into what level they would be good at. I'm also getting started on workign out "Starting Traits" like how your pokemon will eventually evolve (if you want it to, not evolving has its own rewards) etc.

Also, the game will be about haivng fun and when you are beaten in combat you are automatically sent to a "healing center" and cared for for a day or two and can continue adventuring once you've rested up. So "death" is not something to worry about (but it fainting deffinately slows down your progress)

TengYt
2009-07-29, 03:38 PM
Imo Mutants and Masterminds or BESM would work better than D&D for this.

Croverus
2009-07-29, 03:44 PM
Ok, could you maybe give me an idea of HOW?

Just saying "this sytem works better!" give sme absolutley no idea what to do, sicne I have an idea what I want to do and already have figured out some game mechanics that work, throwing out and replacing those that don't work. In the end its not going to use the rules of any one game, just the core ideas and then be built and molded into something of my own design.

Zuki
2009-07-29, 05:25 PM
He's probably suggesting Mutants and Masterminds or BESM (and there is a d20 version of BESM) because they are generic systems, which allow a great deal of flexibility in how you can build your character.

I've considered Pokemon d20 games before, and I wish you well in your efforts.

However, I don't think having a class for each pokemon type is the right way to do things. Instead, I'd borrow a little bit further from 4e and divide the classes up by their role in combat. The Striker/Defender/Controller/Leader split actualy works pretty well. I'd probably make a big basic set of generic powers, that then are modified by the typing of the pokemon using them.

Alternatively, if you're more attached to the 3.5 system, you could take a look at the three generic classes offered in Unearthed Arcana. (It's available for free in the SRD if you don't have the book.)

Flamethrower and Ice Beam are mechanically identical, but one's a fire move and one's an Ice move. Does that make sense?

A 'Controller' type pokemon would focus moreso on damage over time effects, status effects, and controlling what options the opponent has.

'Leader' isnt' well represented in the Pokemon games, but in party play, it could be more fun. I'd look at the way Bard and Warlord work for this role moreso than Cleric, probably. Chanseys with Softboiled, and Baton-passing pokemong might fit the role. But really, it could just be roleplayed as a PC with a tactical mind and a motivational mindset. (I really like the 4e Warlord.)

Lysander
2009-07-29, 09:42 PM
Why not just use normal D&D classes, but treat class abilities as animal abilities?

Why can't a pokemon cast spells as a sorceror, with the same spell list and spells per day? Why not use the normal barbarian class for a big pokemon that can get angry? Why can't a sneaky pokemon be a rogue?

Just change two things:

1) Race. Figure out a fair stat adjustment for each player and give them DR for one attack type and extra damage for another attack type.

2) Items. Instead of using weapons and armor, why not let them use money to buy "training" at a gym. Each combat style will just reproduce a weapon of equivalent cost. So if one player wants to use a longbow, they could instead learn "thorn spit" or whatever. A mace could be "spike tail", etc. Ammo would be replaced by food, which would cost the same. They're need to have eaten a special type of food to produce ammo. If they want to learn more "weapons" than their inventory would allow they must forget the excess. The only downside is that they can't sell the stuff afterwards.

Limos
2009-07-29, 10:04 PM
As said 4e would work perfectly for this. Just come up with a couple of attacks for each class.

Fire would have

At-Will: Ember, Smokescreen
Encounter: Flamethrower, Fire Wheel
Daily: Fireblast, Firespin

Grass could have

At-Will: Vine Whip, Absorb
Encounter: Razorleaf, Photosynthesis
Daily: Solarbeam, Megadrain

Water Type

At-Will: Bubble, Withdraw
Encounter: Water Gun, Bubblebeam
Daily: Hydro Blast, Surf

Debihuman
2009-07-29, 10:07 PM
Have you seen this: http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/

Debby

Croverus
2009-07-30, 10:20 AM
Have you seen this: http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/

Debby

I'm making a pokemon w/o trainers setting. Each player is a unique pokemon.

I started working on stats. They are Health, determined by you role and the average of you two defenses; Attack, which will determine the power of physical attacks (Normal, Fighting, Flying, Rock, Ground, Steel, Bug, Ghost, Poison); Defense determines a pokemon's ability to resist damage from physical attacks; Special Attack increases the power of attacks with special damage (Fire, Water, Grass, Electricity, Psychic, Ice, Dark, Dragon); Special Defense helps defend against attacks of that type; Speed determines both initiative and how effective a pokemon is at hitting and dodging; Personality Can determine the effectiveness of stat changing abilities and social encounters out fo combat.

I changed type to be like race, then Natures are like Background, they're free and they can make slight alterations in stats. I added Class Roles, 6 total.

Stats start with a 30 point total spent across Att, Def, SpAtt, SpDef, Spd, and Per. The base stats for each pokemon type have already been made. After you've chosen the type, you pick your pokemon's Nature. There are 25. Every nature gives a +3 bonus to one stat and -2 to another, and Speeds the growth of one stat by +1 per level and decreses another by -1 per level (min of +0, stats can only increase as you level up).

Once you've done these two steps you choose your class Role. They are similar to the 4 roles in D&D, Controller, Defender, Leader and Striker. Leader is as it was, a pokemon with the Leader role gains mostly stat changing moves and helps the party. The defender is called Tank, and has high health and defense growth and learns a lot of attacks to help soak up damage and keep the enemy on the Tank. The other four roles are Thrasher, Sniper, Sneak, and Blaster, Thrasher and Sniper are both Strikers, with high amounts of Att and SpAtt and are designed for taking on single strong enemies, with Thrasher as melee and Sniper as ranged. The Sneak and Blaster are Controllers, and have some Striker qualities. Both have high growth in SpAtt and Per to add status effects to enemies as well as to hit several targets for Blaster, or use the nasty tricks a Sneak learns. Your Role will determine how your stats grow (modified slightly by your nature) and you can also increase stats with items like Candies, Vitamins, Berries, and special items that promote stat growth as long as you wear them.

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-30, 10:27 AM
Well, how should I put this...

With the current generation of games, being Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, there is no longer the same type-dependent special attack/physical attack split, instead using something a little closer to common sense to determine which offensive stat is used.

This being said, is there a particular reason for maintaining the old special/physical split- considering that it restricts the potential variety of builds within your proposed system? (For example, your current system would penalise the creation of classic physical attacking dragon builds...)

Croverus
2009-07-30, 10:36 AM
Well, how should I put this...

With the current generation of games, being Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, there is no longer the same type-dependent special attack/physical attack split, instead using something a little closer to common sense to determine which offensive stat is used.

This being said, is there a particular reason for maintaining the old special/physical split- considering that it restricts the potential variety of builds within your proposed system? (For example, your current system would penalise the creation of classic physical attacking dragon builds...)

Mainly I'm keeping it seperate because there is a big deference between how good you are with hitting someoen with your claws and burning them with flames. And there is a big diference to being able to take a headbutt to the face and said face being blasted with electricity. Think of ti as one being DR and the other being Energy Resitances. Not very high DR and Energy Resistance, but it will decrease how badly certain attacks hurt you.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. You're talking about how attacks are Sepcial or Normal is determined for each attack without concern of its type, and attacks that don't do damage don't even have a type of attack.

Yeah, I suppose it could work that way, I thought you were asking abotu the stats themselves, not which types they apply to.

Zuki
2009-07-30, 10:43 AM
Wasn't the reason physical dragon attacking builds became 'classic' because they high high stats in those areas, and there weren't effective Dragon-type moves yet? That's still an effective tactic, if you've got the stats to back it up. It's certainly an even better tactic now that high-Attack dragons can get STAB, but that's another issue.

In his defense, ignoring Diamond/Pearl's change to the Pokemon metagame probably keeps things slightly simpler as far as powers design goes. It also somewhat keeps the 3.5-style symmetry of 'This Stat is for Physical Attacking,' 'This Stat is for Magic,' etc.

Now, if he decides to go the other way and include the physical/special split, it wouldn't be hard. You'd just designate whether a move uses Attack or Physical Attack when you roll to hit. You'd just keep that in mind when designing powers.

I like the short sketches of the class roles you set up, Croverus. So long as they're all sufficiently differentiated from eachother in how they play mechanically, I think it'll work out fine.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 11:01 AM
I've already made a small party of Lv 1s, very rough draft mind you. I included all 6 Roles, each with a different pokemon type that seems suited for that role. These included a Steel Tank, a Fire Blaster, an Electric Sniper, a Ghost Sneak, a Fighting Thrasher and a Dragon Leader. I'm working on how the powers you learn are determined by your type, and you can learn attacks not just your type (I mean, Totodile, a water pokemon, learns Bite, a Dark move) Obviously certain moves are restricted, and this is simply done by common sense. "Your pokemon doesn't have strong enough jaws to technically learn Bite. But even though he's a water type, you did give him some very imposing eyes, so he can learn Mean Look or Glare!"

See where I'm going? The powers you learn are not very streamlined because what you can perform is up to how you made your pokemon look. There are guidelines to how your powers develop and what you can learn, but otherwise its not very restrictive. In any case, their are Role specials, like the blaster can use some attacks to hit multiple enemies when it wouldn't always be the case, sneaks can cloak themselves, Tanks can gaurd allies, etc. These are jsut so that there is a difference between the roles other than what they're good at.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 01:57 PM
Ok. here are the base stats for all the Types. I'll post the natures soon too. I'm considering giving every Lv1 character 5 points to throw into whatever stat they want, not allowing them to put any stat over 15 after applying nature.

{table]Type | Att | Def | SpAtt | SpDef | Spd | Per
Fire | 6 | 4 | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4
Water | 4 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 4 | 5
Grass | 4 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 4
Normal | 6 | 6 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Flying | 5 | 5 | 3 | 4 | 8 | 5
Rock | 6 | 9 | 3 | 5 | 3 | 4
Ground | 5 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5
Electricity | 4 | 4 | 7 | 5 | 6 | 4
Bug | 4 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 6 | 3
Fighting | 8 | 6 | 2 | 5 | 5 | 4
Psychic | 2 | 2 | 8 | 6 | 6 | 6
Ghost | 3 | 4 | 7 | 7 | 6 | 3
Dark | 6 | 4 | 8 | 5 | 5 | 2
Steel | 8 | 8 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4
Dragon | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 8
Ice | 3 | 4 | 7 | 6 | 4 | 6
Poison | 5 | 3 | 7 | 5 | 7 | 3
[/table]

I'll explain how the stats work later. Instead of a certain lv of a stat giving bonuses, what is important is the difference between your stats and anothers. When not using opposed stats, it simply shows how capable you are. As far as skills woudl go, there really won't be any. This is more focused on combat, and how well you can perform an action outside of combat would really depend on your own judgement.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 02:15 PM
The nature of a pokemon can give a slight bonus and penalty to its stats. At level one, a pokemon's natire adds 3 to one stat and subtracts 2 from another. There are 5 natures for Att, Def, SpAtt, SpDef, and Spd, each has a penalty to one of the other stats. There were no stats that gave a bonus to Personality(obviously), so I made them. There were 5 stats that had no effect, now they increase one stat and decrease Personality.

{table] | +Att | +Def | +SpAtt | +SpDef | +Spd | +Per
-Att |
X | Bold | Modest | Calm | Timid | Kind
-Def | Lonely |
X | Mild | Gentle | Hasty | Helpful
-SpAtt | Adamant | Impish |
X | Careful | Jolly | Honest
-SpDef | Naughty | Lax | Rash |
X | Naive | Curious
-Spd | Brave | Relaxed | Quiet | Sassy |
X | Stubborn
-Per | Serious | Hardy | Quirky | Bashful | Docile |
X
[/table]

When you pick one of the natures, it automatically gives you +3 to the positive stat and -2(min 1) to the other stat. And every level up you get +1 to the positive and -1(min total increase of 0; You can not gain -1 of a stat when you level up) to the negative.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 03:06 PM
The next tables concern the "classes" called Roles. Stats increase by the amount indicated at that level for the role, modified by the pokemon's nature. It also shows the starting health, and Health gain per level. To determine starting Health, add the Role's Health score, add you Def and SpDef together and divide by two (round up) and add that number to the Health score. Stat gain is cumulative per level, so if making a character higher than level one, add up all the bonuses (taking in account any changes due to nature).

{table]
Tank
Lv | Health | Att | Def | SpA | SpD | Spe | Per | Special
1 | 10 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Pull Enemies
2 | +d10 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +1 | +0 | +0 | Soak Damage
3 | +d10 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +0 |
4 | +d10 | +0 | +3 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +1 |
5 | +d10 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +0 | Pull Enemies +1;Defend Ally
6 | +d10 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +1 |
7 | +d10 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Soak Damage +1
8 | +d10 | +0 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +0 |
9 | +d10 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +1 | Pull Enemies +2
10 | +d10 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Stalwart
11 | +d10+2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +0 |
12 | +d10+2 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +0 | Soak Damage +2
13 | +d10+2 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +1 | Pull Enemies +3
14 | +d10+2 | +1 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 |
15 | +d10+2 | +3 | +5 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +1 | Improved Defend Ally
16 | +d10+2 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +0 | +0 |
17 | +d10+2 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Pull Enemies +4;Soak Damage +3
18 | +d10+2 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +0 |
19 | +d10+2 | +2 | +5 | +1 | +3 | +2 | +1 |
20 | +d10+2 | +3 | +5 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +2 | Solid Wall
21 | +d10+5 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Pull All Enemies
22 | +d10+5 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Soak Damage +4
23 | +d10+5 | +3 | +4 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +1 |
24 | +d10+5 | +4 | +3 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +2 |
25 | +d10+5 | +4 | +5 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +2 | Uncanny Defend Ally
26 | +d10+5 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 |
27 | +d10+5 | +3 | +4 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +1 | Soak Damage +5
28 | +d10+5 | +2 | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +2 |
29 | +d10+5 | +4 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +2 | +3 |
30 | +d10+5 | +5 | +6 | +4 | +5 | +3 | +3 | Juggernaught
[/table]
Pull Enemy - Once per combat, a targetted enemy ignores other Pokemon to attack you. Every 4 levels after 1st add a second use per combat, up to 5 uses at level 17.
Soak Damage - Once per combat, ignore 5 damage. Add 5 to the soak at level 7, 12 and 17, then add 10 to soak at level 22 and 27. Can only be activated for 1 attack.
Defend Ally - Allies adjacent to you add half you Defense rounded up to their Defense. At level 15 they also add half your Special Defense to their Special Defense. At level 25 They add your entire Defense bonus as long as they stay next to you.
Stalwart - Poison and Burns last only 3 rounds; Confusion time is halved after it is determined(min of 1 round).
Solid Wall - Can not be moved by force and can intercept and line attacks so they do not pass through; Can provide cover to Allies.
Pull All Enemies - All enemies within 30ft of you will target you, ignoring your Allies.
Juggernaught - No longer affected by Flinch, Paralysis, or Sleep; Defense and Special Defense can no longer be decreased.

That is an example of what the Roles look like, lv 1-30 including specialties unique to the Role. I'm still working on the other 5 Roles.

Golden-Esque
2009-07-30, 07:05 PM
Some Thoughts and Ideas:

#1 - Make Trainer Classes, not Pokemon as Classes
In this sense, follow the cartoon more. Each player creates a trainer, and that trainer selects a Trainer Class. Here's some thoughts:

Battler - Grants additional skill points to Pokemon.
Breeder - Round Robin
Contester - Better at "dolling Pokemon up"
Doctor - Best at healing Pokemon
Explorer - Best at improving own skill points / abilities.

#2 - Make Pokemon work more like the Animal Companions in DnD, but lay out a leveling system for each Pokemon type.

#3 - This way, you leave yourself open for adventuring and not just "Knock the Door Down". Also, your background (the Trainer) actually matters, because you'd confer different bonuses to your Pokemon based on what you know / want to do.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 07:16 PM
He said he didn't want to make a Trainer'd Pokemon setting.

Llama231
2009-07-30, 07:17 PM
This looks interesting, you can count me in for now. Let me know what I need to do/what needs to be done.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 10:23 PM
I'm having a friend in my work center wokr out making her character. Basically you choose your pokemon type to determine your base stats. Then pick your nature, it will modify two stats (increase one, decrease the other) and effect their growth. Then you'll get to spend 5 points on any of the stats, and finally pick what role your pokemon plays in a group. It will determine how your stats increase each level, will give you special abilities, and your nature also modifies the growth a little. After that the only choice we have left is how you're going to evolve, and whether you have only the one form, or 2,3 or 4 stages of evolution. How you evolve will add the final touches to your stats. After that, your ready to start as a lv 1 pokemon of your own design. Describe what you look like and I give you two attacks to start with, a couple of berries, and start you in an environment that your pokemon would be comfortable living in.

Llama231
2009-07-31, 11:24 AM
Type is class, nature is race?

Croverus
2009-07-31, 11:41 AM
No, I changed that. Role is Class, Type is Race, and Nature is like a Background. Roel determines hwo all your stats grow and what kind of attacks you'll focus on. Type determines some strength and weaknesses, your base stats, and attacks that you would qualify for. Nature modifies your stat growth slightly, increasing one stat and slowing another. Then the last thing to pick is how you evolve. Its best to just do it step by step, so Step 1 is pick your type.

Croverus
2009-07-31, 02:52 PM
I'll be placing the other classes in this post. I need to fill them out over time, so I don't lose it, so I'll post templates and fill in the information, updtating it over the weekend.

Blaster

{table]
Blaster
1 | 4 | +1 | +0 | +3 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Strike Through
2 | +d4 | +0 | +0 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
3 | +d4 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +1 | +0 |
4 | +d4 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +0 | Extra Effects
5 | +d4 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 | Special Chain
6 | +d4 | +0 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +1 | +1 |
7 | +d4 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Strike Through +1
8 | +d4 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
9 | +d4 | +0 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
10 | +d4 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 | Area Strike
11 | +d4+1 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | +1 |
12 | +d4+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +0 | Extra Effects +1
13 | +d4+1 | +0 | +1 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +1 | Strike Through +2
14 | +d4+1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +2 |
15 | +d4+1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +2 | Improved Special Chain
16 | +d4+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | +1 |
17 | +d4+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
18 | +d4+1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
19 | +d4+1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Strike Through +3
20 | +d4+1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +2 | Nova Blast; Extra Effects +2
21 | +d4+2 | +2 | +1 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +1 |
22 | +d4+2 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
23 | +d4+2 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
24 | +d4+2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +1 |
25 | +d4+2 | +3 | +2 | +5 | +3 | +4 | +2 | Strike Through +4; Uncanny Special Chain
26 | +d4+2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +3 |
27 | +d4+2 | +2 | +1 | +4 | +1 | +4 | +2 |
28 | +d4+2 | +3 | +2 | +5 | +2 | +4 | +2 | Extra Effects +3
29 | +d4+2 | +2 | +3 | +5 | +2 | +3 | +3 |
30 | +d4+2 | +4 | +3 | +6 | +3 | +5 | +3 | Davestator
[/table]
Strike Through - When a target is hit by a Special Attack, 1 enemy adjacent to target takes half the damage the target took(rounded up). Every six levels after that, add one extra enemy, up to 5 enemies taking the strike through damage. This is Passive.
Extra Effects - Special Attacks that don't have an extra affect gain an appropriate one that will last for 3 rounds. Attacks that already have an extra effect has the effect last +1 round longer. Every 8 levels increase the number of rounds an effect lasts by 2. This is Passive.
Special Chain - Combine two similar Special Attacks into 1 dealing both attacks damage and effects to the target(s) at -5 damage to each attack. At level 15 this can be used to combine a normal Attack and Special attack together with no loss of damage. At level 25 three Special Attacks can be chained tog ether at +5 damage to each attack. After using a special Chain the Blaster must catch his breath for 1 round where he can only move at normal speed and use healing items.
Area Strike - 1/Encounter a Special Attack that normally hits one enemy can be modified to hit an entire area, damaging all the enemies at -5 damage.
Nova Blast - 1/Encounter a Special Attack that targets multiple enemies can turn into a close blast centered on you at -10 damage, and knockback all enemies caught in the blast to its edge. The Radius is equal to 1/4 the Special Attack's normal range.
Devastator - 1/Day the Blaster can combine all their special Attacks and target a single opponent, doing all the damage from the attacks to the target and ignoring resitance and weakness. All enemies with/in 10 spaces of the target take 1/3 of the damage (rounded down).

Sniper

{table]
Sniper
1 | 6 | +2 | +0 | +0 | +1 | +3 | +0 | Mark
2 | +d6 | +2 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
3 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +0 | Swift Firing
4 | +d6 | +0 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +2 | +0 |
5 | +d6 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 | Greater Shot
6 | +d6 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +3 | +0 |
7 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 | Mark +1
8 | +d6 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
9 | +d6 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +2 |
10 | +d6 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +1 | True Aim
11 | +d6+1 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
12 | +d6+1 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | Swift Firing +1
13 | +d6+1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +1 |
14 | +d6+1 | +3 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +2 | Mark +2
15 | +d6+1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | Improved Greater Shot
16 | +d6+1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
17 | +d6+1 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +1 |
18 | +d6+1 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
19 | +d6+1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
20 | +d6+1 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +3 | Precision
21 | +d6+2 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +3 | Swift Firing +2;Mark +3
22 | +d6+2 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +2 |
23 | +d6+2 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
24 | +d6+2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 |
25 | +d6+2 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +5 | +3 | Uncanny Greater Shot
26 | +d6+2 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +3 |
27 | +d6+2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +5 | +2 |
28 | +d6+2 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +5 | +2 | Mark +4
29 | +d6+2 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +6 | +3 |
30 | +d6+2 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +6 | +3 | Impossible Shot;Swift Firing +3
[/table]
Mark - Marked targets takes 5 extra damage from all attacks. Every Every 7 levels increases the amount of damage Marked target takes by 5.
Swift Firing - Add 1 to the minimum number of hits a multiple hit attack performs. Every 9 levels adds another 1 to the minimum. This is Passive.
Greater Shot - Increase Range of all Normal ranged attacks by 50%. At level 15, increase range of all Special ranged attacks by 50%. At level 25, double range of all ranged attacks.
True Aim - 1/Encounter ignore any negative penalties for hit and damage for one normal ranged attack.
Precision - 1/Encounter add 50 to Att for purposes of hitting and damage.
Impossible Shot - 1/Day, before making an attack, multiply your Att and Spd by 5 and use the new numbers to determine hit and damage of the attack. Allowed one reroll if miss.

Thrasher

{table]
Thrasher
1 | 8 | +3 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Charge
2 | +d8 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
3 | +d8 | +2 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +1 | +0 |
4 | +d8 | +3 | +0 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 |
5 | +d8 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
6 | +d8 | +2 | +0 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 |
7 | +d8 | +3 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
8 | +d8 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 |
9 | +d8 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
10 | +d8 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
11 | +d8+2 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +1 |
12 | +d8+2 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
13 | +d8+2 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
14 | +d8+2 | +4 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
15 | +d8+2 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
16 | +d8+2 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
17 | +d8+2 | +3 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +1 |
18 | +d8+2 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
19 | +d8+2 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
20 | +d8+2 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +3 |
21 | +d8+4 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +2 |
22 | +d8+4 | +5 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 |
23 | +d8+4 | +4 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +3 |
24 | +d8+4 | +5 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +2 |
25 | +d8+4 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +3 |
26 | +d8+4 | +4 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +3 |
27 | +d8+4 | +5 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 |
28 | +d8+4 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +2 |
29 | +d8+4 | +5 | +4 | +3 | +2 | +5 | +3 |
30 | +d8+4 | +6 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +5 | +3 |
[/table]
Charge - Full body attacks (Such as Tackle, Body Slam, etc) Allow you to cover an extra 2 spaces and deal 2 extra damage. This is Passive.

Leader

{table]
Leader
1 | 8 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +3 | Inspire
2 | +d8 | +0 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +2 |
3 | +d8 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +3 |
4 | +d8 | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +3 |
5 | +d8 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
6 | +d8 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +1 | +2 |
7 | +d8 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +3 |
8 | +d8 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
9 | +d8 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +4 |
10 | +d8 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +4 |
11 | +d8+2 | +0 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +4 |
12 | +d8+2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +3 |
13 | +d8+2 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
14 | +d8+2 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +4 |
15 | +d8+2 | +1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +3 |
16 | +d8+2 | +1 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +4 |
17 | +d8+2 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +1 | +4 |
18 | +d8+2 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +4 |
19 | +d8+2 | +1 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +5 |
20 | +d8+2 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +2 | +5 |
21 | +d8+3 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +4 |
22 | +d8+3 | +1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +2 | +4 |
23 | +d8+3 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +4 |
24 | +d8+3 | +2 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +2 | +5 |
25 | +d8+3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +5 |
26 | +d8+3 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +6 |
27 | +d8+3 | +3 | +3 | +4 | +3 | +2 | +5 |
28 | +d8+3 | +2 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +5 |
29 | +d8+3 | +2 | +4 | +3 | +4 | +2 | +6 |
30 | +d8+3 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +3 | +6 |
[/table]
Inspire - All adjacent allies have +2 Att and Def for the rest of Combat.

Sneak

{table]
Sneak
1 | 6 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | +1 | Surprise Attack
2 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | +0 |
3 | +d6 | +0 | +1 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +1 |
4 | +d6 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
5 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
6 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | +0 |
7 | +d6 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +0 |
8 | +d6 | +1 | +0 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
9 | +d6 | +1 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
10 | +d6 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
11 | +d6+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | +1 |
12 | +d6+1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
13 | +d6+1 | +2 | +1 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 |
14 | +d6+1 | +1 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
15 | +d6+1 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
16 | +d6+1 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +1 |
17 | +d6+1 | +2 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
18 | +d6+1 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | +2 |
19 | +d6+1 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +2 | +3 |
20 | +d6+1 | +3 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
21 | +d6+3 | +2 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 |
22 | +d6+3 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +2 |
23 | +d6+3 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
24 | +d6+3 | +3 | +2 | +3 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
25 | +d6+3 | +4 | +3 | +4 | +3 | +5 | +4 |
26 | +d6+3 | +3 | +2 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
27 | +d6+3 | +3 | +2 | +5 | +3 | +4 | +4 |
28 | +d6+3 | +4 | +2 | +4 | +3 | +5 | +4 |
29 | +d6+3 | +3 | +3 | +5 | +2 | +4 | +3 |
30 | +d6+3 | +4 | +3 | +5 | +3 | +5 | +4 |
[/table]
Surprise Attack - Attacking an enemy unaware of your presence allows you to do an extra 5 damage, with melee attacks only.

I'll add the Edit msg down here when I've updated one. I'm at least putting their Lv 1 stats.

Edit: Blaster has been updated.
Edit2: Sniper was updated.
Edit3: Added all the stat increases for the classes, will update teh specials later. though to make a lv 1, everything you need is available.

Llama231
2009-08-01, 06:39 PM
Waaaaaaaay too Special Attack heavy.

Croverus
2009-08-01, 06:41 PM
Um... thats the point? It's designed for pokemon using special attacks. Saying its too SpA heavy is like saying my Tank Role was too defense heavy.

Croverus
2009-08-04, 11:14 AM
Here's how you can evolve:
No Evolution - +2 To all of your stats
1 Evolution - +1 to all stats
A) By level - Pick level when you evolve, if before Lv 10, at evolution = +2 to three stats and +1 to two stats; if between 10 and 16, at evolution = +3 to one stat, +2 to four stats, +1 to last stat; if between 17 and 22, at evolution = +3 three stats, +2 to other three stats; if between 23 and 27, at evolution = +4 to two stats, +3 to three stats, +2 to last stat; if at 24 to 30, at evolution = +5 one stat, +4 to three stats, and +3 to two stats
B) By Stone - Pick a stone, Gain a net bonus of +10 (spread out how you want) and alter Type based on the stone
C) Special Circumstance - TBD
2 Evolutions - +0 to all stats
A) By Level - Pick the two levels you evolve at, bonuses are same formula as 1 evolution at -1 to all the bonuses. (So if you evolve first before lv 10 you get +1 to three stats, then evolve again between level 17 and 22, gain +2 to three stats and +1 to three stats.)
B) By Stone - First evolution, gain a net bonus of +6 (spread out how you want) and alter Type based on the stone, then second evolution, another net bonus of +6 and Type changes again. (Using a stone in evolution twice is very, very rare)
C) Special Circumstances - TBD
3 Evolutions - -1 to all stats
A) By Level - As with 1 evolution, but bonuses are applied to one less stat (min 1 stat) and at -1 (evolving before level 10, only two stats get +1, between 17 and 22, +2 two stats and +1 to three other stats, between 24 and 30, +4 one stat, +3 two stats and +2 two stat.)
B) By Stone - Very unlikely to be used, but if chosen, each stone alters type and has a net gain of +5. (Not very likely to use)
C) Special Circumstance - TBD

That is pretty much all the options. As you can see evolving is important to how your stats increase. Waiting to evolve until later gives larger bonuses for waiting longer. Stones should only ever be used for pokemon that evolve once. I can tweak it in case by case basis. And if you want to determine stuff randomly, that won't be too hard actually. Nature can easilly be rolled randomly by rolling 2d6, one dice is the stat you get the bonus in, the second is the penalty, you reroll doubles. And I'll make a %d chart for types if anyoen is interested.