Level: Clr 4
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: See text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: None

This spell summons Barry the Benevolent, a Neutral Good level 6 human cleric with the Healing domain, who will proceed to buff and heal all allied creatures for the duration of the spell.

This spell was created for the Misheard Spells thread, and for some reason I wanted to stat the guy out. :smallsmile:

Barry the Benevolent
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (32 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 10 (+0 Dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+3
Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells, turn undead
Special Qualities: —
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +8
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Concentration +11, Diplomacy +8, Sense Motive +8, Heal +10, Survival +5, Knowledge(Religion) +6
Feats: Extra Turning, Improved Initiative, Negotiator, Self-Sufficient
Environment: —
Organization: Solitary, unique
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

No one is certain where the enigmatic Barry is from, and he won't say where. All that is known is that Barry is there for should you need him to lend a helping hand.

Combat
Barry avoids physical combat, finding it disdainful. His involvement in combat is comprised of casting buffing and healing spells.

Turn Undead (Su): Barry can use the Turn Undead ability 9 times per day and receives a +2 circumstance bonus.

Spells
Barry casts spells as a level 6 cleric. He receives a +1 caster level bonus on healing spells and can convert spell slots to healing spells spontaneously.

Cleric Spells Per Day:(5/4+1/4+1/3+1)
Cleric Spells Prepared: 0—Create Water(1), Guidance(1), Mending(1), Resistance(2); 1st—Cure Light Wounds(1), Bless(1), Protection from Evil(2), Remove Fear(1); 2nd—Cure Moderate Wounds(1), Aid(1), Restoration, Lesser(1), Consecrate(1), Shield Other(1); 3rd—Cure Serious Wounds(1), Prayer(1), Protection from Energy(1), Remove Disease(1)

Debihuman
2009-07-29, 09:30 PM
Amusing but I'd be hard pressed to allow a 4th level spell summon a 6th level caster even if it is only for 1 round per caster level. What if Barry thinks the summoner is a jerk? Barry may be "good" but he can still be greedy.

Debby

Strawman
2009-07-29, 09:33 PM
What happens if someone summons Barry the Benevolent while he is already summoned by someone else? Gah, tonguetwister.

Siosilvar
2009-07-29, 09:34 PM
Amusing but I'd be hard pressed to allow a 4th level spell summon a 6th level caster even if it is only for 1 round per caster level. What if Barry thinks the summoner is a jerk? Barry may be "good" but he can still be greedy.

Debby

Why? You need to be 7th level to cast 4th level spells, and he can't cast more 4th level spells (and the attack-iest spell he has is Prayer).

Jergmo
2009-07-29, 09:48 PM

Debby

Barry is Mini-Jesus good. He doesn't even have any treasure, he gave it all to orphaned Celestial Kittens. Also, as it's a [Good] spell, evil people can't cast it. So, evil-jerk people can't summon him, at least.

What happens if someone summons Barry the Benevolent while he is already summoned by someone else? Gah, tonguetwister.

They get his answering machine.

Lysander
2009-07-29, 09:51 PM
You should add this:

"If Barry is killed his body will vanish. The next time you cast the spell a different man will appear, who will introduce himself as Barry, the other Barry's cousin."

Debihuman
2009-07-29, 10:04 PM
Because he's significantly more powerful than creatures that can be summoned by Summon Monster IV. On the other hand, he only appears for 1 round per caster level so it may not be as unbalancing as I originally suspected. I'm still not entirely convinced.

Of course, if there's only one Barry and he's being summoned, he may be unavailble and then your cleric will have wasted a spell until Barry is finished with his prior engagement. Or worse, you could end up with Barry's evil twin [oddly enough his name is Barry too], or Barry's baby sister Berrie, who can't cast any spells, but she grants all allies within a 30 ft. radius a +2 cute bonus to saves, attacks and damage. If she kisses your boo-boo, she can heal 1d2 points of damage.

This could get complicated depending on how many family members Barry has and who fills in for him when he's unavailable or if any other (unrelated) Barry shows up.

This has a lot of potential to be hilarious.

Debby

Jergmo
2009-07-29, 10:18 PM
Because he's significantly more powerful than creatures that can be summoned by Summon Monster IV. On the other hand, he only appears for 1 round per caster level so it may not be as unbalancing as I originally suspected. I'm still not entirely convinced.

Of course, if there's only one Barry and he's being summoned, he may be unavailble and then your cleric will have wasted a spell until Barry is finished with his prior engagement. Or worse, you could end up with Barry's evil twin [oddly enough his name is Barry too], or Barry's baby sister Berrie, who can't cast any spells, but she grants all allies within a 30 ft. radius a +2 cute bonus to saves, attacks and damage. If she kisses your boo-boo, she can heal 1d2 points of damage.

This could get complicated depending on how many family members Barry has and who fills in for him when he's unavailable or if any other (unrelated) Barry shows up.

This has a lot of potential to be hilarious.

Debby

And his french cousin, Beri. It can get very confusing when someone wants to summon Beri or his sister; there are many mix-ups. Also, while Barry is a level 6 cleric, he still has no offensive spells of any sort (except a buff allies/debuff enemies) spell that isn't particularly powerful, and has no equipment at all. However, Barry isn't necessarily more powerful than something summoned with Lesser Planar Binding (max 6 HD). These are cleric-only spells. A Succubus, for example, could be summoned with Lesser Planar Binding, and if I were the opponents, I'd much rather face Barry.

arguskos
2009-07-29, 11:39 PM
On a non-joking front, I actually like the idea of specialized spells that summon specific creatures, such as a Call of the Black Knight spell, which summons a black armored warrior to serve you for the duration of the spell. Actually, I might go draw up a few critters now.

Thanks for the great idea! Gotta love Barry!

DracoDei
2009-07-29, 11:41 PM

1 round/level is also the duration of Summon Monster ? I believe....

Debihuman
2009-07-29, 11:55 PM
You're right it is 1 round per caster level. Barry apparently isn't dismissable either so if you get stuck with Barry's Evil Twin you might be in a spot of trouble. On the other hand, Barry isn't significantly more powerful than the howler thats on the the Summon Monster IV list so I may have erred a bit on thinking he was overpowered.

Debby