PDA

View Full Version : Toon Spells [3.5 D&D]

Ravens_cry
2009-07-30, 02:35 AM
These ancient spells of an equally ancient order, from a time some say is best forgotten. Those wizards who study them dare to twist the natural laws of the universe in an attempt at cosmic comedy.
Or are just very silly.

Subjective Gravity
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: S
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range:Touch
Target: Caster or one touched creature
Duration:1 minute/caster level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)
Target may cross 10 feet per two caster levels of open air. However target must make a will save (DC 10) every 20 feet or look down and start falling, taking normal falling damage when they reach the bottom.

Summon Anvil
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V,
Range: Medium (100 feet +10 ft./level
Effect: One Summoned Object
Target: One creature or object within range
Duration: 1 round after hitting target or ground
Saving Throw: Reflex save (special)
Spell Resistance: No
A 400 pound anvil appears over targets head, 10 feet above per two caster levels. Target must make DC 15 reflex save or be hit by anvil. However, even if they make the reflex save, 50 percent chance percentile roll determines if they are still hit. If hit, along with normal damage (2d6 per 10 feet falling distance) from falling objects, they are automatically dazed for 1d4 rounds plus 1 per 4 caster levels.

Painted Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level:Sor/Wiz 3
Components: S, M,
Casting time: Full Round Action
Range: Long 200 + 20 ft./level (special)
Target:You
Duration:Instantaneous
Caster paints a doorway on an adjacent solid verticals surface and steps through, appearing instantly at any chosen location within range that is out of line of sight of all creatures in range. If nowhere within range is out of line of sight of a creature the spell fails and is wasted.

Material Component
A dab of paint, or a small piece of charcoal, or chalk

Any critiques on power level, and wording, and anything else, are more then welcome as this is my first homebrew. Thanks to Djinn_In_Tonic for the helpful criticism.
And in the words of ancient Three Fingered One, "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

DracoDei
2009-07-30, 02:51 AM
At first I thought these were going to be Michael Jackson based spells... while there might or might not be some good ones to be made in that vein, I find this much more gratifying since I probably inspired you with my (as yet incomplete) Falling Anvil Discipline.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-30, 02:58 AM
At first I thought these were going to be Michael Jackson based spells... while there might or might not be some good ones to be made in that vein, I find this much more gratifying since I probably inspired you with my (as yet incomplete) Falling Anvil Discipline.
I hate to pop your bubble, but. . .while I think I may remember reading that thread, I was inspired by LooneyTunes, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and similar silliness, more then anything. Pretty much 100%, in fact. But thank you for the kind words. I hope you complete your Falling Anvil Discipline
edit: I hope that didn't come across as rude.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-30, 06:38 AM
Subjective Gravity
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: S
Range:Touch
Target: Caster or one touched creature
Duration:1 minute/caster level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)
Target may cross 10 feet per two caster levels of open air. However target must make a will save (DC 10) every 20 feet or look down and start falling, taking normal falling damage when they reach the bottom.

Strictly worse than Fly, so it's probably a 2nd level spell.

Summon Anvil
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V,
Range: Medium (100 feet +10 ft./level
Effect: One Summoned Object
Target: One creature or object within range
Duration: 1 round after hitting target or ground
Saving Throw: Reflex save (special)
Spell Resistance: No
A 400 pound anvil appears over targets head, 10 feet above per caster level. Target must make DC 15 reflex save or be hit by anvil. However, even if they make the reflex save, 50 percent chance percentile roll determines if they are still hit. If hit, along with normal damage (2d6 per 10 feet falling distance) from falling objects, they are automatically dazed for 1d4 rounds plus 1 per 4 caster levels.

Since daze is a good effect, the duration is decent, I think the damage should be based on 10ft per 2 caster levels (maximum of 20d6, as per usual). A 5th level spell that starts at 18d6 damage is rather potent, especially when it bring dazing along with it. Also, any reason for the non-traditional save?

Painted Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level:Sor/Wiz 3
Components: S, M,
Casting time: Full Round Action
Range: Long 200 + 20 ft./level (special)
Target:You
Duration:Instantaneous
Caster paints a doorway on a solid surface and steps through, appearing instantly at any chosen location within range that is out of line of sight of all creatures in range. If nowhere within range is out of line of sight of a creature the spell fails and is wasted.

Material Component
A dab of paint, or a small piece of charcoal, or chalk

Nice! I like it. A strange Dimensional Door variant, balanced by the longer casting time. I would, however, require you to be adjacent to a wall or other vertical surface to put a door on.

Lysander
2009-07-30, 08:41 AM
What if the anvil spell had a range of touch, in that it creates an anvil in the open air right in front of you. Then instead of targeting an enemy with the spell itself, the idea would be to get above an enemy somehow and summon the anvil in mid-air so it falls on them.

Damage would be based on how high you are when you drop the anvil, but the further away the more likely it would be to miss.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-30, 09:20 AM
Strictly worse than Fly, so it's probably a 2nd level spell.
Good point, I'll change that.

Since daze is a good effect, the duration is decent, I think the damage should be based on 10ft per 2 caster levels (maximum of 20d6, as per usual). A 5th level spell that starts at 18d6 damage is rather potent, especially when it bring dazing along with it. Also, any reason for the non-traditional save?

It's based on the old toon gag where the target where an anvil appears out of nowhere above the target, the target, seen the anvil, tries to avoid it by side stepping the shadow seen on the ground, and get clunked anyway. Your right on the damage, that's rather high for that level. I'll change that.

Nice! I like it. A strange Dimensional Door variant, balanced by the longer casting time. I would, however, require you to be adjacent to a wall or other vertical surface to put a door on.
Ooh, that was exactly how I intended. I'll put that in. I have seen Toons escaping through the floor, but an upright doorway is more 'classic'.

What if the anvil spell had a range of touch, in that it creates an anvil in the open air right in front of you. Then instead of targeting an enemy with the spell itself, the idea would be to get above an enemy somehow and summon the anvil in mid-air so it falls on them.

Damage would be based on how high you are when you drop the anvil, but the further away the more likely it would be to miss.
That would make a great other spell, but if my memory serves me, anvils are as likely to appear out of thin air as be directed more personally by characters in cartoons.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-30, 09:41 AM
Nice ideas, particularly Summon Anvil. I wish I had balancing help, but it looks like Djinn already covered that. :smalltongue: