PDA

View Full Version : Health and safety

Lukraak
2009-07-30, 02:41 AM
Never really thought about it till this comic, but I guess it makes sense that clerics would know what things are bad for pregnant women in DnD verse.

Which makes me wonder, apart from paralization, what else would that be?
I'm pretty sure level drain can't be a good thing, but what potions would be bad for instance?
And would this be different per race?

I bet drinking a lot of Haste potions/spells would give your child adhd

LightningNinja
2009-07-30, 02:55 AM
P. of heroism is probably okay. I would avoid transmutation, esp. polymorph. Failing a reflex save against shout or fireball would be bad news.

Teddy
2009-07-30, 04:15 AM
A sword through the chest, perhaps. And poison and disease. And probably most of the necromancies together with transmutations.

OITS
2009-07-30, 05:52 AM
Maybe death...

Ikialev
2009-07-30, 05:56 AM
Book of erotic fantasy:
http://i25.tinypic.com/vwrf47.jpg

And I believe sexchange can hurt the baby. Mentally.

Zanaril
2009-07-30, 06:19 AM
Book of erotic fantasy:

From what I can tell, that's dealing with what happens when a male creature polymorphs into a female and becomes pregnant. :smallconfused:

Snake-Aes
2009-07-30, 07:01 AM
From what I can tell, that's dealing with what happens when a male creature polymorphs into a female and becomes pregnant. :smallconfused:

It's valid for any kind of shapeshifting pregnant. Gender is quite irrelevant. I first read something on those lines in Werewolf.

Qubanz
2009-07-30, 07:09 AM
Well that's Durkon, wise and experienced. Durkon I guess is one of those chars who doesn't really steal the show very often (Though when he does it's generally awesome.) but who's cool anyway.

Also Haley, I fully agree with you! :D

Captain Alien
2009-07-30, 08:20 AM
Are there D&D rules for pregnancy? I guess not...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 08:23 AM
Book of erotic fantasy:
{{snip}}

How do we know that Rich follows those rules though? I mean, half the time he doesn't even follow the core's RAW. Or RAI for that matter.

Although it is nice to see an official third party view on the matter.

There are third party books on the subject, such as the aforementioned Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Which happens to be the only 3.x book the local book store had in stock.

Captain Alien
2009-07-30, 08:29 AM
There are third party books on the subject, such as the aforementioned Book of Erotic Fantasy.

What the... I though he was joking!

I must check it out.

Larkspur
2009-07-30, 10:42 AM
Maybe death...

This actually raises a good question- what happens to the fetus if you get ghouled or wighted or vampired or zombified?

Do you get a little zombie fetus swimming around in your uterus? Does the fetus, not being zombified, decay inside you while you're preserved? It'd be hard for it to turn into a skeleton because its bones are mostly cartilage...

Ikialev
2009-07-30, 11:14 AM
Don't check it, it will scar you for life.
Seriously. Apart from the photos, in which people looks like russian transsexuals, those things written... Reading necronomicon is like a headache to this.

2. There was an epic monster, which iirc was a psionic undead fetus.

3. I don't think that kids [forgot the world] survive even raising from dead, as they're parasites in this time. It's like raising flatworms with host.

4. Also -6 to dexterity.

Faleldir
2009-07-30, 11:51 AM
If there was a type of potion that caused minor birth defects, I bet more people would use it. Free feat!

Snake-Aes
2009-07-30, 11:56 AM
If there was a type of potion that caused minor birth defects, I bet more people would use it. Free feat!

That was dark.

Ikialev
2009-07-30, 12:02 PM

There is always Falcon Punch. :3

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-30, 08:28 PM
I think that the WotC books may not even have rules for children, much less fetuses.

Siosilvar
2009-07-30, 08:49 PM
P. of heroism is probably okay. I would avoid transmutation, esp. polymorph. Failing a reflex save against shout or fireball would be bad news.

Arguably, one could use the rules for held items, and only a natural 1 would risk damage. Although considering an unborn child an "item" is rather callous.

veti
2009-07-30, 09:09 PM
Ah, that takes me back...

In 1st Ed, being subject to a "Haste" spell or effect would age you by one year. The effect when cast on a pregnant woman was quite dramatic.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:17 PM
Ah, that takes me back...

In 1st Ed, being subject to a "Haste" spell or effect would age you by one year. The effect when cast on a pregnant woman was quite dramatic.

There are all sorts of variant rules that could be brought forward for the earlier editions.

What was the duration of haste, and was the year calculated in fractions?

R. Malcovitch
2009-07-31, 07:12 PM
What if a pregnant woman shapechanged into something that was also pregnant? That way the fetus support infrastructure would remain.

Captain Alien
2009-08-01, 05:27 AM
Oh, in d20 modern there are rules for children. D&D lacks this, but it would be nice to play with kids as PCs, like in television or films.

Snake-Aes
2009-08-01, 08:08 AM
What if a pregnant woman shapechanged into something that was also pregnant? That way the fetus support infrastructure would remain.

But hardly providing the same stuff. Plus there's the time spent morphing.

Mummy king
2009-08-01, 01:28 PM
I thought the potion Kazumi drunk while fighting the ninjas was a potion of rage. Maybe the kid will have anger issues and grow up to be a barbarian?

Thrax
2009-08-01, 01:29 PM

In Greek mythology, when Callisto was changed into bear, she was pregnant. Her son, Arcas, was born as a bear, which would mean the fetus morphs along with the mother. If I would REALLY have to include morphing pregnant women in my campaigns, I'd use that rule.

Meg
2009-08-01, 08:00 PM
I always wondered if you can take ranks in medical knowledge (Mind you I don't play DnD, I apologize for inaccuracies or whatnot), like learning to dress wounds or knowing how to set broken bones or deliver a baby, should a cleric or other magical healing prove unavailable.

Zevox
2009-08-01, 08:08 PM
I always wondered if you can take ranks in medical knowledge (Mind you I don't play DnD, I apologize for inaccuracies or whatnot), like learning to dress wounds or knowing how to set broken bones or deliver a baby, should a cleric or other magical healing prove unavailable.
That would be the "Heal" skill. Which, ironically, is only a class skill for classes that can cast healing spells anyway (in Core, the Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger). Even the skill-monkey classes, Bard and Rogue, don't have it on their class list.

Zevox

Meg
2009-08-01, 08:14 PM
That would be the "Heal" skill. Which, ironically, is only a class skill for classes that can cast healing spells anyway (in Core, the Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger). Even the skill-monkey classes, Bard and Rogue, don't have it on their class list.

That's really inconvenient.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-01, 08:21 PM
You could always cross-class.

But that's inefficient unless you've got extra skill point burning a hole in your pocket, or you really need the Heal skill.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-01, 09:06 PM
I would think that anything bad would be worse for the baby, and anything good would at least be alright. There was this strip where Kazumi drank a potion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0587.html) to fight the ninja guys.

mcl01
2009-08-01, 10:27 PM
In Greek mythology, when Callisto was changed into bear, she was pregnant. Her son, Arcas, was born as a bear, which would mean the fetus morphs along with the mother. If I would REALLY have to include morphing pregnant women in my campaigns, I'd use that rule.

I thought Arcas was born human? There's the whole myth about Callisto, still a bear, meeting Arcas when he's older. He tries to hunt her down until Zeus has pity on his former lover and turns her into the Ursa Major constellation.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-01, 10:40 PM

Also, Loki, a MALE god, transformed into a female horse and gave birth to Odin's steed. Not sure the point of this. Just wanted to point it out.

Meg
2009-08-02, 06:26 AM
I read a book awhile back about a pregnant woman who could shapechange at will. Her fetus could, too, so she mostly sat around, changing shape below the waist every time the baby did.

Zanaril
2009-08-02, 06:30 AM
Also, Loki, a MALE god, transformed into a female horse and gave birth to Odin's steed. Not sure the point of this. Just wanted to point it out.

Yea, but the horse ended up with eight legs. :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2009-08-02, 07:24 AM

Gods cheat anyway...

Zanaril
2009-08-02, 07:35 AM
Especially Loki.

Ancalagon
2009-08-02, 07:43 AM
Of course. Someone like Loki would even use aimbots and wallhacks in counterstrike... he's the biggest cheater you can imagine...

Thrax
2009-08-02, 01:43 PM
I thought Arcas was born human? There's the whole myth about Callisto, still a bear, meeting Arcas when he's older. He tries to hunt her down until Zeus has pity on his former lover and turns her into the Ursa Major constellation.

Arcas was born a bear, but later changed into human by the gods. And yes, Loki seems to hold similar case, as I imagine he was still a mare when giving birth to Sleipnir.

Teddy
2009-08-02, 02:23 PM
Arcas was born a bear, but later changed into human by the gods. And yes, Loki seems to hold similar case, as I imagine he was still a mare when giving birth to Sleipnir.

He's also father (mother?) to Fenrir and Jörmundgandr.

Squark
2009-08-02, 02:59 PM
He's also father (mother?) to Fenrir and Jörmundgandr.

He did have a wife, so I assume he actually was their father, although Fenrir was a wolf (or did he just get turned into one. I assume this is where Fenrir Greyback of Harry Potter got his name)

Zanaril
2009-08-02, 03:26 PM
He did have a wife, so I assume he actually was their father, although Fenrir was a wolf (or did he just get turned into one. I assume this is where Fenrir Greyback of Harry Potter got his name)

I think as well as having a wife, he had a... relationship with a giantess, and that's why his kids were a giant snake and a wolf. :smallsigh:

Jamin
2009-08-02, 03:48 PM
Loki was the father of 3 kids
Fenrir a wolf that is the biggest enemy of the gods
A serpent that surrounds the world and will kill Thor
and Hel who is half dead and half alive

Teddy
2009-08-02, 04:02 PM

... and mother of Sleipnir, as mentioned earlier.

Zanaril
2009-08-02, 04:40 PM

*facepalm* Totally forgot about Hel...

Shatteredtower
2009-08-03, 10:25 AM

You forgot Nari and Vari. The gods turned the latter into a wolf that tore the former's throat out, and then Nari's entrails were used to bind Loki beneath the world. Ain't divine justice grand?

I'm pretty sure there are others.

DBJack
2009-08-03, 11:45 AM
There are all sorts of variant rules that could be brought forward for the earlier editions.

What was the duration of haste, and was the year calculated in fractions?

I don't remember the duration, but I remember in the desription that the spell magically 'speeds up the metabolic activity of the target to the point that the factors of aging are also sped up and the target 'ages' about a year.'

Hmm, is the fetus controlled by the mother's metabolic activity, or does it do its own thing? I don't know this one. I presume the former for the first and maybe second trimester and the latter for the third.

Not that, as you said, it matters much for the early editions, or this could go on forever. I believe it was snuk in the description of Haste in second edition, I don't recall obeying that though. :smallwink:

idrial10
2009-08-03, 01:44 PM
I read a book awhile back about a pregnant woman who could shapechange at will. Her fetus could, too, so she mostly sat around, changing shape below the waist every time the baby did.

I believe that book was called Trickster's Choice. I just finished reading it...:smallsmile: