PDA

View Full Version : Media to Demonstrate Tone & Themes for Games

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-09, 10:10 PM
I often find that when I GM an RPG my players are not familiar with - particularly in a genre they aren't familiar with - that giving them a reading or viewing list can really help them out. This thread is for suggesting such lists for specific games or wider genres of RPGs.

When you post a list, please specify what game or games it is useful for, as well as why each specific title/series/what-have-you is appropriate, and how it can be beneficial. Also, if you use a list posted here either for your own benefit or suggest it to other players, it'd be great to get feedback from the experience!

My first list is a a few anime titles I find help set the tone and themes of Shadowrun, as well as give a better idea of how the cyberpunk elements of the world work. So, without further adieu...

Akira - A classic title in the cyberpunk genre, Akira includes quite a bit of more "mystical" elements (though in this case, of psychic rather than magical origin). In particular, the biker gangs that many of the main or supporting characters are from could be directly cribbed as go-gang for an SR game. Neo-Tokyo is also a classic cyberpunk style city - a massive urban center with substantial slums and a vast gap between the haves and have-nots. The government facility would work well as an example for the most secure corporate sites, and the government itself is a fitting analogy for many SR governments as well as some of the megacorps. All in all, Akira gives a good look into a mix of cyberpunk and scifi/fantastic elements and the plot could easily be that of an SR game. The manga is also worth checking out, as it has even more to offer in the same veins (the latter portions could easily describe SR urban barrens, or could work well for a city devestated by some sort of magical attack, like Chicago).
Ghost in the Shell - The film. Includes a great deal more of cybertechnology, as well as computer interaction, including rogue AIs. Though cyber-ization occurs to a much more substantial degree than is feasible for SR characters, it does present an excellent look at cyber-ized characters, and they personal issues they may face. Again, the plot could easily be that of an SR game, and the Section 9 team has many of the hallmarks of team of 'Runners.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & 2nd Gig - The series. Much as the above, but even more so. The series delves deeper into how cyber-ized characters work, and cyber-brain sclerosis is a useful analogy for essence loss. The slum areas depicted are perfect for urban barrens and SINless slums. The refugee problem in 2nd Gig would fit perfectly as a plot line for SR characters interested in hooding (being heroic, basically). Some of the plots & episodes are better at displaying how anti-runner teams work, but runners could do the missions the bad guys do in the series. Most particularly, SAC does a fantastic job of demonstrating the concept of Augmented Reality as well as full immersion VR; these elements could be directly ported from the anime to the game and give players a real handle on how they should be picturing things. Lastly, the series gives more screen time to secondary characters and provides an even better blueprint for a team of runners.
Black Lagoon - It's not cyberpunk, but the main characters are a perfect example of many basic 'runner teams. Revy very much fits the profile of a street samurai or other gun-slinger, while Benny is a rigger through and through. Dutch and Rock are good examples of different kind of face characters, while Balalaika is a perfect example of both a fixer and a SR style mob boss. If you need an example of a Mr Johnson, look no further than Rock's superior in the first few episodes. In fact, one could steal wholesale the plots, missions, setting, and characters from Black Lagoon, mix in some magic and cyber-tech, and an SR group would feel right at home for the whole ride. If you want to get theme and tone across, this series will do the trick. Plus, the action elements work perfectly for SR combat.

I have a few more, but I need to think about exactly how to present them.

Dario
2006-09-11, 02:23 AM
This is a great thread idea I hate to see sit idle, so I hope I got the right idea.

When recently introducing a friend to the concept of tabletop roleplaying (in our case, standard D&D), I described some typical genres I like to venture into by citing these popular works:
Beowulf or similar classic literature - Old world epic heroism. Immortality is achieved through legendary feats of greatness against and triumph over evils incarnate. This is for the dark and gritty "low-to-no magic" approach, where mead and the tales of bards skalds are of the utmost importance to your lifestyle and reputation.

Indiana Jones - Travelogue, mystery, and vine-whip-swinging excitement set in a slightly industrialized world with a possible political and/or black magic backdrop. When there's a mix of action, puzzle-solving, treasure-seeking, and maybe even some globe-trotting, this is a perfect example.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Swashbuckling, seafaring, tongue-in-cheek adventure set in the late Renaissance with the undertones of dark, shaman-esque magic. If you want to tone down the humor, crank up the mystical and/or otherworldly, and possibly throw in a dash of Beowulf, go with The Odyssey.

Heat Guy J or Cowboy Bebop - Bounty hunters, law enforcement, and the criminal underworld of a near-future megalopolitan society, and all the ethical implications that come with its advancements. This is more for something like a d20 Modern variant than straight D&D.

Broad themes rather than any specific system, but I do think those suggestions are great for easily getting anyone's mind completely around a particular niche, especially newcomers.

McBish
2006-09-11, 11:57 AM
Snowcrash is classic cyberpunk.

Akiosama
2006-09-11, 01:52 PM
Don't forget - Record of Lodoss War (primarily the OVA but either the OVA or TV series will do) - I always felt that it was "What a good D&D campaign would feel like animated." Not that too many people would need to see what 'epic fantasy' was like...

I especially liked its representation of magic - the chanting, calling of spirits, etc...

And to add to your original list for cyberpunk, Gorby, Bubblegum Crisis (primarily the original, but Crash and 2040 sort of work, too, I'm just not as keen on them) also do a lot to show cybernetics, robots and the likes, and what can go wrong.

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 10:05 PM
Don't forget - Record of Lodoss War (primarily the OVA but either the OVA or TV series will do) - I always felt that it was "What a good D&D campaign would feel like animated." Not that too many people would need to see what 'epic fantasy' was like...

I'm pretty sure that's what it actually is.

Democratus
2006-09-12, 08:36 AM
Snowcrash is classic cyberpunk.

Technically, it's post-classic cyberpunk. ;)

Classic cyberpunk dates from the mid to late eighties:
Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Burning Chrome

These were the true foundation of the cyberpunk genre.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-12, 09:30 PM
Technically, it's post-classic cyberpunk. ;)

Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Burning Chrome

These were the true foundation of the cyberpunk genre.
Not that Snow Crash isn't excellent, both in its own right and for certain kinds of cyberpunk games.

Record of Lodoss War is D&D - particularly 2e AD&D - right to its heart. The sequel, Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, also captures the themes well, though I'm personally not a big fan of it.

I'm still stuck on anime for the moment, though I'll try to move over to some other mediums as well.

For a super-powers game, if you're looking for inspiration for unique powers or trying to avoid some of the usual cliches of the superhero genre while keeping it fun, exciting, and a bit campy, the R.O.D. (aka Read Or Die!) OVA is not to be passed up. It's three episodes, so not too much of a time comittment, either. I don't want to delve too deep into it because part of the fun are the surprises along the way. I will whet the appetite by mentioning that the main character's codename is "The Paper."

bosssmiley
2006-09-12, 09:31 PM
I'll echo Dario on the "Indiana Jones" films. Those, Errol Flynn/Tyrone Power swashbucklers, and "The Mask of Zorro" are required viewing for me and my gaming buddies. ;D

"Boss' doesn't care if your game is a complex, exquisitely-plotted tale of subtle intrigue and political machination; he just wants cartwheel chandeliers, swordfights, explosions, chases and big hats." ::)

Cyberpunk required watching: "1984", "Blade Runner", "Total Recall" and "Matrix"
The dominant theme of cyberpunk (imho) is 'fight the power and reclaim your reality', the above films epitomise that for me.

Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Burning Chrome

These were among the true foundation of the cyberpunk genre.
/respectfully fixed

Don't forget guys like Bruce Sterling, Philip K. **** and George Effinger. Gibson became the name to drop, but he was only one among a number of guys writing about similar stuff.

Democratus
2006-09-13, 08:52 AM
Very true. Thanks for the clarification.

Strangely enough, it was Bruce Sterling who introduced me to Ballywood musicals. :)