PDA

View Full Version : Woo! Desert scenery!

PCofDoom
2009-07-30, 07:24 AM
Who's tired of all the grass and trees and general.. green-ness by now, besides me? I'm really happy that there's gonna be some desert action soon. :smalltongue:

Manicotti
2009-07-30, 07:39 AM
meh. i just saw Transformers 2, and i'm looking forward to...not desert action.

personally i'd like to see the Obligatory Sewer-themed Labyrinth, even if only for a couple strips as Team Evil confirms that the phylactery isn't actually there.

Woodsman
2009-07-30, 07:45 AM
I think it'll be interesting.

I wonder if Mr. Burlew will breakout a copy of Sandstorm.

Demiurge
2009-07-30, 08:20 AM
ugh, let's hope he doesn't. I'd like to see what he comes up with on his own.

Ron Miel
2009-07-30, 09:12 AM
Who's tired of all the grass and trees and general.. green-ness by now, besides me? I'm really happy that there's gonna be some desert action soon. :smalltongue:

Don't hold your breath. They've got a sea to cross first. No doubt they'll encounter adventure on voyage.

They've already met the ninjas. Time for the pirates (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).

MrPig
2009-07-30, 09:22 AM
I imagine we'll soon see the obligatory sewer theme with Xykon looking for his soul hidey place.

NerfTW
2009-07-30, 09:35 AM
Don't hold your breath. They've got a sea to cross first. No doubt they'll encounter adventure on voyage.

They've already met the ninjas. Time for the pirates (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).

I hope not. I'm far more interested in seeing what the Western Continent has to offer than a generic pirate adventure.

Herald Alberich
2009-07-30, 09:36 AM

Well, maybe one pirate ship. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html) After that everyone will get bored and move on to the main plot.

Optimystik
2009-07-30, 09:38 AM

After Greysky, Rift-filtered Azure City and Celestia, I actually wouldn't mind a little more green. The most green we've seen recently was Ivyleaf.

Tenebrais
2009-07-30, 09:44 AM
Deserts would make a nice change, though it will need to be done somewhat well. Page after page of nothing but dunes would get boring.

Timberboar
2009-07-30, 09:47 AM
I predict a rehash of the dirt farmers scene's backgrounds.

y2kyle89
2009-07-30, 09:49 AM
I get the feeling we're going to get another Abbott & Costello like joke.

Demiurge
2009-07-30, 10:00 AM
I predict a rehash of the dirt farmers scene's backgrounds.

You're kidding, right? You can count on Rich doing better than that. Anyways, we've already seen a glimpse of the western continent, in the Order of the Scribble exposition.

Also, your avatar, man. Holy ****, your avatar.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-30, 10:03 AM
I'm sure we will see a lot of rock formations, and one should be a butte. :smallwink:

Puns de León
2009-07-30, 02:52 PM
Buttes, plateaus, spires, mesas. Maybe even a canyon.

rxmd
2009-07-30, 02:54 PM

As per G.I Joe's Law of Encounter Probability (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html) they'll have exactly one random encounter en-route.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 02:59 PM
Deserts are awesome and underutilized.

Starscream
2009-07-30, 03:00 PM
If we do see a butte, expect giggles from Elan and Belkar.

Man, it's going to be nice to have Roy's deadpan snarking back!

Ron Miel
2009-07-30, 03:17 PM
As per G.I Joe's Law of Encounter Probability they'll have exactly one random encounter en-route.

Possibly so, but I predict that it will last about as long as the encounter with the bandits.

Sequinox
2009-07-30, 03:29 PM
You're kidding, right? You can count on Rich doing better than that. Anyways, we've already seen a glimpse of the western continent, in the Order of the Scribble exposition.

I had missed that, thank you very much. Now I'm incredibly revolted.

I, for one, like Celia.

daggaz
2009-07-30, 03:31 PM

Ahahahahahahaha!!! OMG I didnt even notice his avatar until I came across your line, then I scrolled back up... holy **** I am laughing so hard my roommates came running in!

BEST AVATAR EVAH!

Optimystik
2009-07-30, 03:42 PM
BEST AVATAR EVAH!

I'm torn. On one hand, we have brutally slain Celia, but on the other we have a joyful Belkar. It's a crap shoot for me :smalltongue:

PCofDoom
2009-07-31, 02:37 AM
And so my thread's purpose was shot to hell because people hate Celia very much. :P Well most of them.

Zanaril
2009-07-31, 04:11 AM
Yay for enviroment specific themed adventures!

Thanatosia
2009-07-31, 06:04 AM
So.... Sphinxs, Lamias, and Mummies A-hoy?

The Extinguisher
2009-07-31, 11:45 AM
And so my thread's purpose was shot to hell because people hate Celia very much. :P Well most of them.

Wow. She's just like Miko.

Red XIV
2009-07-31, 01:11 PM
Who's tired of all the grass and trees and general.. green-ness by now, besides me?
I can think of one person:

:durkon:

Zen_Heart
2009-07-31, 01:48 PM
I'm looking forward to Serini/Kraagor's Gate, personally. Arctic scenery for the win!

Demiurge
2009-07-31, 01:51 PM
So.... Sphinxs, Lamias, and Mummies A-hoy?

As well as that most horrific of all desert encounters: camel spiders.

Optimystik
2009-07-31, 01:53 PM

See, now that's just cynical. Of course I'll still talk about deserts! Why, Belkar could even bury Celia's body in one. :smallwink:

I'm looking forward to Serini/Kraagor's Gate, personally. Arctic scenery for the win!

I'm not, the Order getting there means Durkon will be dead :smallfrown: Of course, if all we see of it for now is O-Chul and Lien being there, I'll be fine with that.

Rotipher
2009-08-01, 07:47 AM
I'm not, the Order getting there means Durkon will be dead :smallfrown:

Perhaps Roy knows that Durkon's not allowed to set foot in the Dwarven lands, so will get around the prohibition by smuggling the (live) cleric past the border guards in a coffin? That could hypothetically fulfill the Oracle's prediction, in the classic Fudge-Your-Way-Around-A-Prophecy sense, if the dwarven guards stamp "Contents - Durkon, deceased" on the coffin in transit. :smallwink:

Jackson
2009-08-01, 07:53 AM
That would not fulfill the prophecy in any way I'd care to recognize. If Belkar and Durkon don't both die I'll be disappointed (not because I want them both to die, but because it'll be a narrative cop out).

Green Bean
2009-08-01, 08:31 AM
That would not fulfill the prophecy in any way I'd care to recognize. If Belkar and Durkon don't both die I'll be disappointed (not because I want them both to die, but because it'll be a narrative cop out).

It won't fulfill the prophecy, but it will avoid it temporarily. He can come back later posthumously later, if he wants to.

Kish
2009-08-01, 09:55 AM
Belkar will surely die and not come back. Durkon, though...

Durkon will die, and return to the dwarven homeland after dying. Will you be disappointed if he dies, is resurrected by another cleric, and is alive at the end of the story?

pita
2009-08-01, 03:43 PM

Will there be hot desert on desert action?
You get it! he said desert action! deserts are hot!
Meh, you guys suck.

Herald Alberich
2009-08-01, 03:49 PM

Durkon will die, and return to the dwarven homeland after dying. Will you be disappointed if he dies, is resurrected by another cleric, and is alive at the end of the story?

That's twisting the definition of the word "posthumously" (roughly, "after flesh"), but in an entirely reasonable way given that the word evolved in a world without resurrection.

Draz74
2009-08-01, 06:49 PM

Nope, I'd say that fulfills the Oracle's prophecy just fine. However, it won't happen this way unless there's an actual dramatic reason for Durkon to die. We've already explored the "dead main character" plotline plenty, thanks, we don't need to do it again without a reason.

And therefore, I fear for Durkon's continued vigor. But no, killing him and bringing him back won't be a cop-out like it would be for Belkar.

Squark
2009-08-01, 07:37 PM
As well as that most horrific of all desert encounters: camel spiders.

Why do I get the feeling this didn't come out of your head, but is either in an actual sourcebook, or that your DM pulled one of these on you...

Demiurge
2009-08-02, 04:36 AM
The worst part is that they're real. Look them up and shudder.

Herald Alberich
2009-08-02, 10:16 AM
*does so* Gaah!

http://deepsquats.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/camel-spider-fly-tying.jpg

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-08-02, 10:57 AM
Holy dang .... that is one ugly arachnid. :smalleek: