PDA

View Full Version : Celia: how strong is she?

Wou
2009-07-30, 08:11 AM
She's able to carry Roy, who is rather big muscly guy, with armor, sword, and probably some other equipment, and it doesn't look like a big effort for her: 316 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html), 671 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html).
I guess his weight when equipped is at least 220 lb.
To carry 220 lb as heavy load ones strength must be at least 16, but the way she's holding him indicates that he's rather light (maybe medium?) for her, and hers strength it at least 24 (19). Pretty big numbers for a delicate skinny girl...

SinsI
2009-07-30, 08:21 AM
She's a sorcerer - casters have many spells that help.

Daefos
2009-07-30, 08:38 AM
The comic usually gives a bit of leeway to the characters on this topic. For example, a succubus has a listed strength score of 13, which I doubt is enough to comfortably carry both Nale and Thog. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html)

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-30, 08:45 AM
I'm gonna say it's *probably* "Rule of Cool".

Though for actual explanations, she could have an unusually high strength score (good rolls?) or maybe she has a magic item we're unaware of that's not been mentioned since she doesn't do any fighting?

(Xykon is pretty nutty-strong as well >.> still wonder about that)

Morquard
2009-07-30, 08:51 AM
Easy: Roy doesn't weight 220 pounds.
Look at him, he got pretty skinny legs and arms, thats quite a bit of missing weight.
Then he doesn't wear armor at all on those extremities either or a helmet for that matter.
Belkar said he weights 30 pounds and most of that is his head (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html). So lets say 20 pounds is the head.
Roy's head is the same size.
His body is rather small compared to the head, so lets say it weights 40 pounds, and thats probably stretching it already.
Then add 3 pounds for the legs and arms, and we're at 63 pounds.

Bit of armor and a sword... lets say 100 total.

Optimystik
2009-07-30, 09:34 AM
All I'll add to this discussion is that it took both Haley and Belkar to carry Roy, but Celia can do it single-handedly. I'm going to take a stab and say the strength is coming more from her wings than her arms.

MrPig
2009-07-30, 09:41 AM
All I'll add to this discussion is that it took both Haley and Belkar to carry Roy, but Celia can do it single-handedly. I'm going to take a stab and say the strength is coming more from her wings than her arms.

But it also took 1 arrow through the crotch to hold him suspended on a casm wall, which would indicate some inconsistencies in his weight throughout the comic. I imagine his weight is whatever the situation calls for.

Wou
2009-07-30, 09:59 AM
I'm going to take a stab and say the strength is coming more from her wings than her arms.
She's holding him with straight arms more like a doll than something heavy, escpecialy when they say "three" in 316, so she must have muscles of pro wrestler, not only wings with carrying power of small helicopter :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2009-07-30, 10:03 AM
But it also took 1 arrow through the crotch to hold him suspended on a casm wall, which would indicate some inconsistencies in his weight throughout the comic. I imagine his weight is whatever the situation calls for.

That's easy to explain - he has strong junk.
"You call it the-"

She's holding him with straight arms more like a doll than something heavy, escpecialy when they say "three" in 316, so she must have muscles of pro wrestler, not only wings with carrying power of small helicopter :smallsmile:

Good point. Maybe being medium-sized makes her a sylph titan? :smallbiggrin:
Of course, just using her hot air she could levitate the entire Order, much less Roy :smallamused:
(Sorry, had to get one Celia dig in)

MrPig
2009-07-30, 10:07 AM
That's easy to explain - he has strong junk.
"You call it the-"

Oh, no doubt. I was more concerned for the, what is likely, wooden arrow.

factotum
2009-07-30, 10:16 AM
Oh, no doubt. I was more concerned for the, what is likely, wooden arrow.

Given that most of the arrow would have been inside Roy or the rock face, I don't think it would have needed much for it to support his weight. (The idea of the arrow penetrating the rock face in the first place is a problem, of course).

73 Bits of Lint
2009-07-30, 10:22 AM
Given that most of the arrow would have been inside Roy or the rock face, I don't think it would have needed much for it to support his weight. (The idea of the arrow penetrating the rock face in the first place is a problem, of course).
Haley knocked a building over with a single shot during the escape from Azure city, so her old weapon must have been a Bow of Actually Being a Whaling Harpoon Cannon.

veti
2009-07-30, 03:44 PM
One word: Levitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/levitate.htm).

Surrealistik
2009-07-30, 03:46 PM
ShE'S OvER 9000!!!

kraazivaan
2009-07-30, 05:19 PM
Haley knocked a building over with a single shot during the escape from Azure city, so her old weapon must have been a Bow of Actually Being a Whaling Harpoon Cannon.

If you look closely at the strip in question (#470), you can see that the tower has actually already collapsed, and is being held in place by a single small stone. Haley shoots that stone, dislodging it, causing the tower to fall on the hobgoblins.

(P.S. How do you include links in your post? The system is not allowing me to use HTML.)

Larkspur
2009-07-30, 08:10 PM
Encumberance only happens when the characters are paying attention to it. Maybe s an Outsider she doesn't realize his weight should matter, and so it doesn't? There might not be gravity in the Plane of Air.

Carnivorous M.
2009-07-30, 08:20 PM
ShE'S OvER 9000!!!

Oh, god! I thought I'd escaped! -weeps-

Jagos
2009-07-30, 08:27 PM
If you look closely at the strip in question (#470), you can see that the tower has actually already collapsed, and is being held in place by a single small stone. Haley shoots that stone, dislodging it, causing the tower to fall on the hobgoblins.

(P.S. How do you include links in your post? The system is not allowing me to use HTML.)

Basically use [u.rl= post] What you want it to say[/u.rl]

Remove the dots.

Alteran
2009-07-30, 08:46 PM
Oh, god! I thought I'd escaped! -weeps-

Nope, you're still on the internet. :smalltongue:

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:10 PM

An easier way is to click the globe (green and blue) icon below the Smiley face in the second row of the control panel above the chat box. Then copy your html there. To link said html to a quote, highlight the quote then do the above.

There are feats that allow a flier to carry a medium or heavy load in Races of the Dragon. It isn't unreasonable to think that she got those as bonus feats when being upgraded to medium.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-07-30, 09:15 PM
Remember when the Order was first leaving Azure City on their horses, and the horses disappeared when Elan mentioned they shouldn't have them? I think this is something similar.

Celia/Sabine being able to carry people while flying is convenient and good flavor, most DMs (or gods or whatever subtle force is analogous to a DM in OotS) would just allow it because they don't want to fool with the minutiae about loads/weights of arrows and gold coins.

So if Haley really wanted to be mean she could have just said "gee, Celia, how do you hold Roy so easily with a STR of 10?" and then laugh as Celia pulled a few muscles and Roy fell to the ground.

:haley: Wouldn't be the first time Roy took a fall because of your stupidity:smallamused:!

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:18 PM
Remember when the Order was first leaving Azure City on their horses, and the horses disappeared when Elan mentioned they shouldn't have them? I think this is something similar.

Celia/Sabine being able to carry people while flying is convenient and good flavor, most DMs (or gods or whatever subtle force is analogous to a DM in OotS) would just allow it because they don't want to fool with the minutiae about loads/weights of arrows and gold coins.

So if Haley really wanted to be mean she could have just said "gee, Celia, how do you hold Roy so easily with a STR of 10?" and then laugh as Celia pulled a few muscles and Roy fell to the ground.

At this point, I doubt that logic could get in the way of the Celia/Roy pairing.

If it could, she should follow by saying "Aren't you supposed to be Small?"

Raging Gene Ray
2009-07-30, 09:22 PM
If it could, she should follow by saying "Aren't you supposed to be Small?"

...and then Celia would shrink, too small for her clothes, and Haley would pick up the confused, embarrassed, naked sylph and give Mr. Scruffy a new cat toy-wow, I'm getting unnecessarily sadistic, aren't I:smalleek:? And I actually kind of LIKE Celia!

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:29 PM
...and then Celia would shrink, too small for her clothes, and Haley would pick up the confused, embarrassed, naked sylph and give Mr. Scruffy a new cat toy-wow, I'm getting unnecessarily sadistic, aren't I:smalleek:? And I actually kind of LIKE Celia!

She could also say that the summoning spell would have expired quite a while ago (because it wasn't a calling spell).

Unfortunately, cats are Tiny. However, with an exotic saddle, they could Feeblemind Celia, Awaken Mr. Scruffy, have him take levels in ranger, and have him use Celia as a mount and 'Animal' Companion.

Celia fine, but there are all sorts of ways that logic could mess her up.

Kish
2009-07-30, 09:34 PM
She could also say that the summoning spell would have expired quite a while ago (because it wasn't a calling spell).

Unfortunately, cats are Tiny. However, with an exotic saddle, they could Feeblemind Celia, Awaken Mr. Scruffy, have him take levels in ranger, and have him use Celia as a mount and 'Animal' Companion.

Celia fine, but there are all sorts of ways that logic could mess her up.
*cough* I believe you mean "'logic,' druidic magic the Order doesn't have access to, and everyone in the Order (especially Roy) mysteriously being replaced by a group of Celia's nastiest detractors from this board in a way that only happens in really terrible Mary Sue* fanfics."

Insulting Celia as she just did is probably the extent of what Haley can get away with in front of Roy.

*But I repeat myself.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:36 PM
*cough* I believe you mean "'logic,' druidic magic the Order doesn't have access to, and everyone in the Order (especially Roy) mysteriously being replaced by a group of Celia's nastiest detractors from this board."

Insulting Celia as she just did is probably the extent of what Haley can get away with in front of Roy.

I understand that the above scenario would not happen. However, if you read the posts above that, logically:

Celia should not be able to carry Roy, should be Small, and should have vanished before getting to say hi to Roy, thus probably breaking up their relationship unless they get a Wand of Reduce Person for Roy.

Kish
2009-07-30, 09:40 PM
You're right, of course. It's not like Belkar's ever had sex with a Medium-sized woman.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-07-30, 09:47 PM

*But I repeat myself.

Haley wouldn't even WANT to do the sick twisted stuff Bibliomancer comes up with. She doesn't trust her, doesn't like her, but doesn't harbor the all-consuming hatred expressed on the boards. I say this because Haley has mentioned that, without the conflict that arises from the adventuring lifestyle, she and Celia could easily be friends.

ericgrau
2009-07-30, 09:53 PM
The comic usually gives a bit of leeway to the characters on this topic. For example, a succubus has a listed strength score of 13, which I doubt is enough to comfortably carry both Nale and Thog. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html)

I'm gonna go with this. In fact, OotS magic & special abilities in general tend to be without limitation, probably to keep things simple. Unless placed against a defensive special ability, which then usually automatically wins.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-30, 09:59 PM
Haley wouldn't even WANT to do the sick twisted stuff Bibliomancer comes up with. She doesn't trust her, doesn't like her, but doesn't harbor the all-consuming hatred expressed on the boards. I say this because Haley has mentioned that, without the conflict that arises from the adventuring lifestyle, she and Celia could easily be friends.

Apologies. Hypothetical scenario. I really need to reinforce the walls separating my imagination from the internet.

Zevox
2009-07-30, 10:05 PM
You're right, of course. It's not like Belkar's ever had sex with a Medium-sized woman.
Somehow, I suspect it's easier for a small male to have sex with a medium female than the other way around. :smalltongue:

Zevox

Larkspur
2009-07-30, 10:35 PM
Somehow, I suspect it's easier for a small male to have sex with a medium female than the other way around. :smalltongue:

Zevox

You just have to be creative...

Thrax
2009-07-31, 12:30 PM
I don't know if you remember, but Celia was already carrying Roy at least once. Remember the new year in Azure City, when Celia had flew into the lamp, like a moth? Now why the question of her strength appeared now, not then?

Kish
2009-07-31, 12:31 PM
Now why the question of her strength appeared now, not then?
It didn't. It appeared now and then. Questions don't go unasked on this board, for good or ill.

Spiryt
2009-07-31, 02:35 PM
One word: Levitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/levitate.htm).

I think that's most elegant theory.

Especially that here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html) Roy doesn't feel/hear anything what should be expected (sound of the wings, air circulating around) as is surprised to be in the air.

And here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0053.html) when she's hovering, the movements or wings/air can be visible.

It doesn't really have to mean that Celia is using any spells, just that sometimes her flight is obviously magical/extraordinary in nature, and she isn't limited by her body then.

Larkspur
2009-07-31, 07:36 PM
Clearly Celia's wingspan is insufficient to support a creature of her size anyway, so whenever she's flying she must be using magic.

Lazy Fat Man
2009-07-31, 08:53 PM

Zevox

Belkar may be small, but he's medium where it counts!

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-31, 10:42 PM
She's able to carry Roy
Yes but it's made easier because we know Roy is bald and has no chest hair (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)...otherwise it would have been a hairy carry.

Boaromir
2009-07-31, 11:42 PM
It didn't. It appeared now and then. Questions don't go unasked on this board, for good or ill.

Ain't that the truth?

Tharivol123
2009-07-31, 11:43 PM
Yes but it's made easier because we know Roy is bald and has no chest hair (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)...otherwise it would have been a hairy carry.

Wow. First the superhero thread ones, now this. I must applaud you. When someone has a pun that makes me groan, it is indeed a rare feat. You deserve a cookie.

Kurald Galain
2009-08-01, 01:22 AM
I'm going to take a stab and say the strength is coming more from her wings than her arms.

I certainly agree. A roughly human-sized being has to be massively strong to be able to fly.

TriForce
2009-08-01, 10:23 AM
Also, in the case of most supernatural beings (elementals, undead, beholders, etc) the flying is a supernatural ability, and even tough those creatures might or might not have wings, they can still fly. 2nd edition dragons are the best example of this, they can all fly, but some are being pictured as having no wings, while other do have them. im assuming celia's case is similar

SinsI
2009-08-01, 11:41 AM
Celia is a sorceress - I'm quite sure she has some Strength of Atlas/Lordly Might spell variant so she can carry Roy without epic Strength score.

Belkar may be small, but he's medium where it counts!
He's just extremely agile in bed... :smallwink: