PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Swordsage questions (3.5).

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-30, 08:26 AM
If the arcane Swordsage variant is being used, can the Disciplin Focus Swordsage abilities be used for schools of magic? I'm curious because ToB doesn't mention those in the Adaptations section.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-30, 08:29 AM
IMO, no. The ability applies to one of the nine disciplines, not one of the 8 schools of magic. Just because you can learn Evocation doesn't mean you can treat it as Desert Wind.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-30, 08:32 AM
Thanks (I was thinking that as well but I wanted to double check) Also, would it be possible to use Maneuvers or Arcane Swordsage spells while Wildshaped?

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-30, 08:56 AM
Thanks (I was thinking that as well but I wanted to double check) Also, would it be possible to use Maneuvers or Arcane Swordsage spells while Wildshaped?

Maneuvers, yes. Arcane spells, only if the DM rules that those abilities have no somatic components.

Keld Denar
2009-07-30, 08:57 AM
There is no rule stating that you can't. You can initiate most manevuers with natural weapons (like...if you were a Rilkan Swordsage, or a web-enhancement Kobald Swordsage). You need to be able to move and take actions, neither of which are inhibited by Wildshape. Thus, you are able to initiate maneuvers while WSed.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-30, 09:47 AM
There is no rule stating that you can't. You can initiate most manevuers with natural weapons (like...if you were a Rilkan Swordsage, or a web-enhancement Kobald Swordsage). You need to be able to move and take actions, neither of which are inhibited by Wildshape. Thus, you are able to initiate maneuvers while WSed.

Nitpick: You mean Skarn. Rilkan have no natural weapons.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-30, 09:50 AM
What are Skarns and Riklans? (Thanks for the feedback so far by the way; I was curious due to thinking a Core Druid/Arcane Swordsage Gestalt would be neat.)

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 09:52 AM
They's from Tome of Not-Tome-of-Battle-so-Astral-was-too-lazy-to-learn-it.

Magic. The word is magic.

Fixer
2009-07-30, 09:52 AM
Incarnum races. Mostly humanoid with some reptilian features.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 09:54 AM
Er, what Fixer said. They are actually from Book-of-Oh-Geez-I-am-WAY-too-tired-to-look-at-this.

I just can't get interested enough in most of the alt magic.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-30, 09:58 AM
Thanks (I'm thinking of getting Magic of Incarnum due to thinking the mechanics look interresting).

Fixer
2009-07-30, 10:30 AM
MoI has some really good stuff in it, but it also has some really BAD stuff in it.

Classes, for example, are lackluster. Only the Totemist is really viable.
Feats are mostly boring, except a few that add severe versatility.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-30, 02:18 PM
MoI has some really good stuff in it, but it also has some really BAD stuff in it.

Classes, for example, are lackluster. Only the Totemist is really viable.
Feats are mostly boring, except a few that add severe versatility.

What? Have you ever even seen one of my Incarnate builds? Incarnate is as viable as the Totemist, it just plays completely differently.

Blackfang108
2009-07-30, 02:45 PM
What? Have you ever even seen one of my Incarnate builds? Incarnate is as viable as the Totemist, it just plays completely differently.

I've even seen a couple of viable Soulborn builds.

Only a couple, and definitely not Wizard Caliber, but viable characters nonetheless.

The book IS worthwhile. Lots of nifty stuff in there.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-30, 02:48 PM
I've even seen a couple of viable Soulborn builds.

Only a couple, and definitely not Wizard Caliber, but viable characters nonetheless.

The book IS worthwhile. Lots of nifty stuff in there.

Soulborns are very weak compared to other classes with similar builds. The Hexblade and Paladin both beat it in virtually every possible angle, while the Incarnate is capable of covering his entire role without flinching.

Blackfang108
2009-07-30, 02:51 PM
Soulborns are very weak compared to other classes with similar builds. The Hexblade and Paladin both beat it in virtually every possible angle, while the Incarnate is capable of covering his entire role without flinching.

I didn't say they were great. (The name Soulborn was mentioned, I believe.:smallbiggrin:)

I said they were viable. I have a viable epic level TWF soulknife. He's still a soulknife, but he's useful at what he does. (He'd be more useful, but due to the EXTREMEMLY LOW WEALTH campaign that it is, UMD is a pointless skill to invest in. By Extremely low wealth, this is what my first character had: an effective +3 weapon, a +2 chain shirt. at level 22. I had some of the better equips in the group.)