PDA

View Full Version : Doomkitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pseudodragon
2009-07-30, 09:46 AM
i read a thread about deadly kittys and decided to make my own.

FLUFFY, the doomkitty.
hit dice1d6+10000
initiative+105
speed 200feet.
AC 210(10armor 10 cuteness, 180 luck.)
Ba/Gr +20/+20
attack claw3d6+70 or cuteness gaze10d20
full attack cuteness gaze, 3 claws.
special attacks: spell-like abilaties
SQ: skills, abilities., class change.
saves: all +200
abilaties: all str,dex,con,cha,int,wis.200(+95)
skills: all at 200.
the doomkitty can cast any spell it wants at will, and has 20 levels, and as a free action can change class.( only affects class abilitaes.) make a better, cuter doomkittty.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-30, 09:53 AM
I hate to be the one to say it, but this really isn't anything but an "I'm the DM so you die" monster. I don't actually see a purpose to this: anyone can say that a monster gets a +X to everything and can do anything, but that doesn't make the creature special in any way other than being unkillable.

I'm going to assume you're new to homebrew, so here's some advice. Look at the creations of others (for monsters, take special note of Vorpal Tribble's). The ones that get interest have interesting and new abilities, good flavor/stories, or both. Also look at the formatting: monsters are easier to critique when properly formatted.

You've missed some key things. Ability scores (not just bonuses), maximum skill ranks, feats, connecting Base Attack Bonus to Hit Dice and type, applying bonuses correctly, and calculating saves correctly, in addition to a few others, are not done correctly.

I'd offer critique on this creation, but I really don't see much of a finished monster to critique. Look around a bit first, then give us something more substantial.

The Mentalist
2009-07-30, 10:00 AM
There's a little optimizing voice inside my head saying "I need a level twenty wizard and it's over."

Timberboar
2009-07-30, 04:07 PM
MITD revealed? Look at the eyes, man, look at the eyes.

Origomar
2009-07-30, 05:20 PM
considering you did not post his Ability Scores, i am assuming they are all the minimum 3. Therefore your you need 20+ rogues with crippling strike(eventually one rolls a natural 20).

maybe..

Icewalker
2009-07-30, 05:25 PM
See, the problem you have here is that you are throwing around bonuses without any grounds. A creature like this is generally pointless, although sometimes entertaining to make, but only if you actually make a full and legitimate creature, with it's abilities and statistics fleshed out, and correctly based off of hit dice, ability scores, and the like. This is just a pile of arbitrary numbers.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 05:33 PM
Entertainingly, it only has 1 Hit Die.

Icewalker
2009-07-30, 05:34 PM
Can you say Cloudkill? :smallwink:

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 05:35 PM
I was thinking a ton of level 1 wizards with Sleep. But let's not be too hard on the poor guy, he's a kid. :)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-30, 06:04 PM
Dear Lord! You Just Made Up The Numbers, Didn't You?!?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 06:15 PM
What sort of massive penalty does it have to Initiative?

How else could it have a Dex of 200 but an Initiative of +20?

Cyrano
2009-07-30, 06:20 PM
What sort of massive penalty does it have to Initiative?

How else could it have a Dex of 200 but an Initiative of +20?

I'm going to guess...-70?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 06:24 PM
I'm going to guess...-70?

Psh, ok then. Let me rephrase.

Where in the world does a cat get a -70 to initiative?

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 06:27 PM
Psh, ok then. Let me rephrase.

Where in the world does a cat get a -70 to initiative?

Well, my partner has a pretty damn lazy cat.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-30, 06:43 PM
Guys, I think we can lay off the repetitive or off-topic answers. We've already politely addressed the issues with his creation, and further driving the point home, especially in the manner that some of these posts could be taken in, might make him unwilling to continue learning the process of homebrewing. That's something that I don't want to see happen, as I enjoy seeing people develop as homebrewers. Additionally, we all started somewhere.

So instead of harping on the errors in the original post, let's instead just sit back and calm down. If he comes back to this thread (which I dope he does), let's not slam him for mistakes, but rather give him some considerate help (if, of course, he desires it).

Sound like a plan?

imp_fireball
2009-07-30, 10:38 PM
Would be great if someone made a very powerful epic deity-like ELDRITCH HORROR monster with low INT and WIS. It would never attack the PCs right away (PCs would just chop at it) and it would attack people at random for a benign reason ('you ruffled my favorite pillow!' as an example).

Origomar
2009-07-30, 10:41 PM
Guys, I think we can lay off the repetitive or off-topic answers. We've already politely addressed the issues with his creation, and further driving the point home, especially in the manner that some of these posts could be taken in, might make him unwilling to continue learning the process of homebrewing. That's something that I don't want to see happen, as I enjoy seeing people develop as homebrewers. Additionally, we all started somewhere.

So instead of harping on the errors in the original post, let's instead just sit back and calm down. If he comes back to this thread (which I dope he does), let's not slam him for mistakes, but rather give him some considerate help (if, of course, he desires it).

Sound like a plan?

unless your being sarcastic, which is in the realm of possability.

Im fairly certain this thread is a joke.

Debihuman
2009-07-30, 10:54 PM
I figured it was a joke. The only problem is that it is neither funny nor well done. As a result, it got far more bashing than it deserved. Stupid monsters can be a lot of fun, but really you have to take the mechanics seriously even if the monster is a joke.

Debby

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-30, 11:17 PM
I figured it was a joke.

Ah. I didn't. This explains my differing stance on the matter.

Icewalker
2009-07-30, 11:20 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what you mean by joke, but it's obviously a joke in the way of not intending to be a balanced encounter. What I meant with my comment is
"joke creatures which aren't balanced at all can be hilarious, but try to do so with a consistent and mechanically accurate set of statistics"

Debihuman
2009-07-30, 11:52 PM
Why on earth would you take anything with that many exclamation points after it seriously? "Doomkitty" should be a clue that it isn't terribly serious. I rather like the idea of a doomkitty named Fluffy. Unfortunately, that's where the joke ended.

Fluffy the Doomkitty should have been a Paragon Cat of Legend with high charisma. That would have been funny and correct. It could even have a permanent aura of cat gravity and kitten's cuteness as a spell-like ability. See Fabulous Cats! on the WotC site for more on these spells. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c.

Debby

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-30, 11:58 PM
Why on earth would you take anything with that many exclamation points after it seriously?

Because I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps I'm stupid that way, but it's unlikely to change.

Debihuman
2009-07-31, 12:59 AM
No, I wouldn't call you stupid at all. Perhaps too serious, but definitely not stupid. Sometimes it helps to have "this is only a joke" spelled out. Having written a couple of silly monsters like the Watchdog from The Phantom Tollbooth and the Parrot-Ox from Paradox of Oz, it's easy to see how fine a line it is between taking a monster seriously and not. However, I still don't think it is an excuse to blatantly ignore the rules.

And just to keep this on topic, Here is how I think the Doomkitty should look.

Fluffy the Doomkitty
Paragon Cat of Legend
Size/Type: Tiny Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: ½ d8+12 (16 hp)
Initiative: +17 (+13 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 90 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 59 (+2 size, +13 Dex +12 Insight, + 12 luck, +10 natural), touch 49, flat-footed 46
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+1
Attack: Claw +29 melee (1d3+16)
Full Attack: 2 claws +29 melee (1d3+16) and bite +27 melee (1d4+16)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Frightful presence
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, fire and cold resistance 10, damage reduction 10/epic, spell resistance 25, fast healing 20, greater damage, see in darkness
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +17, Will +14
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 36, Con 35, Int 19, Wis 29, Cha 26
Skills: Balance +20, Climb +16, Hide +26*, Jump +20, Listen +13, Move Silently +18, Spot +13
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse(B), Flop(B), Improved Initiative(B), Multiattack(B)
Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Combat

Cats prefer to sneak up on their prey.

Frightful Presence (Ex): When Fluffy makes a loud sound (a growl, or hiss), he inspires terror in all creatures within 20 feet that have fewer Hit Dice or levels than he has. Each potentially affected opponent must succeed at a Will save (DC 18) or become shaken—a condition that lasts until the opponent is out of range. A successful save leaves that opponent immune to Fluffy’s frightful presence for 24 hours. The save is charisma-based.

Greater Damage (Ex): Damage dice for the Fluffy’s natural attacks are increased by one die type.

See in Darkness (Su): Fluffy can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by deeper darkness spells.

Skills: Cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

Feats: As a paragon creature, Fluffy gains the Flop Feat as a bonus feat. Fluffy can gracefully fall down and captivate a nearby humanoid with his remarkable cuteness. As a standard action, Fluffy can fall prone, forcing one humanoid of his choice within 10 feet of him to make a successful Will save (DC 18) or be dazed for 1 round. The target must be able to see Fluffy. This extraordinary ability is a mind-affecting effect. The save is Charisma-based. As a monster of legend, Fluffy also gains Improved Initiative and Multiattack as bonus feats.

Designer Notes: Yes, this is a joke. Giving a cat these templates makes very little sense. Fluffy only has 16 hit points for a CR 17, which is simply a horrible, horrible design feature if you ask me.

Paragon Creature Template is from Epic Level Handbook and Monster of Legend Template is from Monster Manual 2. The Flop Feat is from Fabulous Cats!, an article on the Wizard's of the Coast Website.

Since the Paragon Legend added significant skill points and Monster of Legend only reconfigured them as the base creature, I updated them per the Paragon template and didn't recalculate. Fluffy's type changed from animal to outsider (native) with the Monster of Legend template.

Lastly, I think I have now acquired significant brain damage from doing this.

Debby

Owrtho
2009-07-31, 11:24 AM
Isn't Fluffy the cat that regularly fought (and killed) its owner Steve on the wizards boards (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=695175)?

Owrtho

Debihuman
2009-07-31, 01:21 PM
Possibly--but we can't be sure unless the original poster comes back. It's a shame really because Fluffy was a lot of fun to make.

Debby

Gorgondantess
2009-07-31, 01:30 PM
I find it hilarious that fluffy's frightful presence will only work on things like flies and ants- anything with less than 1/2 HD.:smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2009-07-31, 01:45 PM
It's based on Lord Shojo's cat. He posted on the OotS boards with the same title, talking about it.

When Djinn was saying he didn't take it as a joke, he meant that he didn't take the non-complete form to be a joke. The OP is young; let's not give him grief over this.

Debihuman
2009-07-31, 02:46 PM
That frightful presence also works on most animals that cats hunt: mice, frogs, toads, rats, birds [see entry on raven] and other animals with 1/4 Hit Die. Wizards and Sorcerers should keep an eye on their familiars when Fluffy is lurking about!

[Edit] Isn't Lord Shojo's cat Mr. Scruffy?

Debby

Mr.Moron
2009-07-31, 06:24 PM
Needs the ability to cough up a Hairball of Annihilation 1/Month. It works a lot like a regular Sphere of Annihilation, only smaller and gross looking. Can be destroyed if the dog eats it.

Debihuman
2009-07-31, 10:59 PM
Gotta thank Bhu for these magical items that Fluffy the Doomkitty has because he has a particularly loving master.

Fly Collar
Price (Item Level): 17, 964 GP (14th)
Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; (DC:17) Transmutation
Activation: Swift (command) and Continuous (see description)
Weight: -

This appears to be an ordinary necklace in human form, and a cat's collar while you are in Kitty Form. 3 times per day the wearer can activate it and gain the benefit of a fly spell. He also gains the benefit of a feather fall spell for as long as he wears the collar. The command word is a particular meow while in kitty form. When activated a small red cape unfurls from the collar.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Feather Fall, Fly
Cost to Create: 8982 GP, 359 XP, 9 days

Scratching Post
Price (Item Level): 16168 GP (+1,14th), 25868 GP (+2,16th), 38802 GP (+3,17th), 51737 GP (+4,18th), 64671 GP (+5,19th)
Body Slot: - (Carried)
Caster Level: 5th/8th/12th/16th/20th
Aura: Faint/Moderate/Strong/Strong/Strong; (DC:18) Transmutation
Activation: Standard (manipulation)
Weight: -

This appears to be an ordinary scratching post made for cats. Any being with claws as natural weapons that scratches the post as a Standard action receives the benefit of Greater Magic Fang. Caster level depends on the bonus given, can be used 3 times per day.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Greater Magic Fang
Cost to Create: +1: 8084 GP, 323 XP, 8 days; +2: 12934, 517 XP, 13 days; +3: 19401 GP, 776 XP, 19 days; +4: 25868 GP, 1034 XP, 26 days; +5: 32335 GP, 1293 XP, 32 days

pseudodragon
2009-08-01, 04:09 PM
fluffy is for DM's with characters that are:
1.annoying
2.have the "infinent combo"
3.have better build than the rest of the party
5.have something they shouldn't<vorpal sword, etc.>
6.are any of these, or any combonation of the above.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-01, 04:11 PM
Why make a monster then? Be a good DM and step up in a mature fashion and tell your players to knock it off.

pseudodragon
2009-08-01, 04:26 PM
if the build is made in a bad way, this is how you kill the characters.

pseudodragon
2009-08-01, 04:33 PM
Why make a monster then? Be a good DM and step up in a mature fashion and tell your players to knock it off.
because it is more fun to say a cat killed you than you die. and there are 4 other reasons that are on the post that say why to use doomkitty.

pseudodragon
2009-08-01, 04:42 PM
Dear Lord! You Just Made Up The Numbers, Didn't You?!?

yes, yes i did you bad<rocks fall, you die.> DM, greatwyrmgold.

The Mentalist
2009-08-01, 04:49 PM
Play nice and don't triple post, there's an edit button.

There are far more logical and sensible ways to solve all the problems you presented that this cat should "remedy".

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 04:51 PM
I no longer feel any concern for the OP.

pseudodragon
2009-08-01, 05:19 PM

Sound like a plan? sounds like a plan.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-01, 09:13 PM
sounds like a plan.

Okay, what you need to do is make the ability scores, HD, and types(and subtypes) the res just falls into place mathematically due to the perfect formula placed bye D20

Calmar
2009-08-02, 04:06 AM
because it is more fun to say a cat killed you than you die. and there are 4 other reasons that are one the post that say why to use doomkitty.

I doubt Innis Cabal was thinking about "you die" when speaking about a mature fashion...