PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Casting Feat

Frog Dragon
2009-07-30, 09:56 AM
Theurgy
Prequisites: At least two levels each in two different invoking, psionic or casting classes. For example Warlock 2/Wizard 2
BenefitChoose two classes from of the above categories that you have at least 2 levels on. Each level in either of these classes or a prestige class advancing the abilities of either of these classes counts as 2/3 levels (rounding down) in the other class for the purpose of invocations, casting psionic powers and the like, but not class features except for Eldritch blast.

Example: Jan has levels of Warlock 6/Wizard6 and he has this feat. He casts as a level 10 wizard and invokes as a level 10 warlock.

Note: This feat is meant to replace dual progression casting classe

I thought this kind of solution might work a bit better than mystic theurges. What does the playground think?

vampire2948
2009-07-30, 10:04 AM
Seems a little broken.

I could roll a Wizard 6 / Psion 2 / Cleric 2 and take that feat twice, giving me Wizard 6 / Psion 6 / Cleric 6 spellcasting.

Perhaps limit the feat to being taken once, and only once? But then you wouldn't be able to do the example you talked of.

I suggest changing the rules to include:

Cannot take the feat more than once.
Cannot use the feat to advance any of the character's caster levels to that of his highest caster class.

Might make it work? Still seems a bit iffy though. Mystic Theurge exists for a reason.. since that class makes you lose class abilities from all of your caster classes. Your feat lets us keep our caster class's abilities, such as familiar advancement, bonus feats etc. and get extra caster levels in a different class.

What happens if a Mystic Theurge takes this feat for a third caster class? Hilarity ensues for the cost of one feat?

Nice idea though, just needs a lil' tweaking.

Vampire2948,

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 10:05 AM
Wizard 2/Cleric 2/Overpowered PrC to One of Them 16 results in having the casting of a 19th level Wizard and a 12th level cleric, in addition to being free to get Prestige Class abilities.

I don't think it'd be too bad if you didn't make it improve from prestige class impression too. But then you're right back to Mystic Theurge territory. I'd go with the MT variant some guy posted on here a week ago or so, it was really good.

Also needs better wording or you end up with Psion 2/Wilder 2/Psion PrCs 16 who get 437 Power Points at level 20.

PirateMonk
2009-07-30, 10:23 AM
Seems a little broken.

I could roll a Wizard 6 / Psion 2 / Cleric 2 and take that feat twice, giving me Wizard 6 / Psion 6 / Cleric 6 spellcasting.

Perhaps limit the feat to being taken once, and only once? But then you wouldn't be able to do the example you talked of.

I suggest changing the rules to include:

Cannot take the feat more than once.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, you cannot take any feat more than once.

This definitely makes multiclass casting more attractive, though I'm not sure it quite balances it with some single-class options.

DragoonWraith
2009-07-30, 10:38 AM
I was thinking of something like this, but as a capstone to Mystic Theurge/Cerebremancer/Noctumancer/etc, rather than just a feat, and only affecting levels after the Theurgic class. Though I'd probably make it 1:1 at that point.

So a Wizard 3 / Archivist 3 / Mystic Theurge 10 / Archmage 4 would have 17 levels of each, because the MT 10 ability would make the Archmage levels count for Cleric as well as Wizard.