PDA

View Full Version : Shatterzone

Fixer
2009-07-30, 12:47 PM
Anyone ever played it? It is old, and by WEG, but I still have old copies of it and was wondering if anyone else ever played it.

Fixer
2009-08-03, 06:54 AM
Wow, first time I have never gotten a single response. I will bump it once to see if anyone missed it the first time.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-03, 07:20 AM
Never played it; never heard of it. What is it like?

Fixer
2009-08-03, 07:27 AM
It is old. Here is the wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatterzone)

In terms of environment, it is great. It is like Star Wars and Shadowrun crossed. There are no real 'good guys' you can rely on, just various shades of self-serving interests. The universe itself is huge, with mysterious unknowns all over the place, so it is ripe for adventure with a creative GM.

In terms of mechanics, it is clunky. They use a 2d10 system and have to use several charts. Sort of like 1st ed D&D with the charts. Most of the mechanics, though, are based on a logarithmic scale (5*log10 if anyone is intersted) so scaling to larger or smaller sized creatures/ships is really simple. Skills are decent as long as the GM prevents the 'putting all eggs in one basket' to prevent one player from dominating the game.

Character generation is, by far, the MOST customizable that I have ever seen. You can make anything from a dwarf robot to a four-armed seductress and have them be (more-or-less) balanced.

Their psionics rules are ok, but they didn't really balance them well. At high levels you can really break the system.

jmbrown
2009-08-03, 07:28 AM
Never played it; never heard of it. What is it like?

It's an RPG by the company that made the d6 Star Wars and it's supposedly the dumping ground for ideas Lucasfilm wouldn't let them have in the licensed product. The game's been out of print for over 10 years and it wasn't that popular to begin with except among a cult following so you're going to have some trouble finding people that played it!

I have the rules book and universe guide but never bothered reading them. It's on my list of "Scour eBay for the rest of the collection."