PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a mint condition product designer still in packaging?

Mrs Banjo
2009-07-30, 01:25 PM
I'm hoping it is not just me and that there are more people out there struggling to find a job in the current climait.

Does anyone need a product designer? :smallfrown:

Is anyone else having difficulties getting into the job market, especially recent graduates?

banjo1985
2009-07-30, 01:31 PM
You'll always have a job here with me, I have a million 40K mini's for you to paint :smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2009-07-30, 01:36 PM
Design me a product worthy of Mordor.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 01:37 PM
No, you're not the only one. :smalleek:

On the bright side, that's an awesome avatar.

One does not simply talk her into Mordor.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-30, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping it is not just me and that there are more people out there struggling to find a job in the current climait.

Does anyone need a product designer? :smallfrown:

Is anyone else having difficulties getting into the job market, especially recent graduates?

It's not just you. I've been out of work since March 16th. I earned my MBA in May and have applied to well over a hundred jobs since then. In return, I've gotten 5 phone interviews, 3 in-person first interviews and 3 in-person second interviews. I'm continually told that I'm an excellent candidate, but there were a one or two other candidates with my same skills, but a few years more experience.

So, I'm waiting for those jerks to all get hired so that I can get a job. :smalltongue:

My undergrad degree is in product design (from IIT in Chicago) - what sort of product design do you specialize in?

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-30, 01:38 PM
You'll always have a job here with me, I have a million 40K mini's for you to paint :smallbiggrin:

That was sweeter than a line about getting your spouse to paint your GW minis has any right to be :smalltongue:

Well, I'm in the job market, but my current job...well...kinda sucks and I'd love to switch, but that's about as hard as finding a job these days...

Tiger Duck
2009-07-30, 01:52 PM
I hope you find employment fast because that will set president for when I graduate.
1 more year for my BA and then one more for my Ma

RTGoodman
2009-07-30, 01:54 PM
Eh, just do what I'm doing - running back into the tender, caring arms of academia.

After almost a year and a half of having no job other than some part-time substitute teaching, heading to get my MA and PhD sounds like a good idea. :smalltongue:

eidreff
2009-07-30, 01:54 PM
Anyone who want's it can take my old job not that I am leaving it because it is sould destroying honest I am going back to Uni in September, so my old post of peon will be up for grabs in September.

potatocubed
2009-07-30, 03:41 PM
Anyone looking for a job in publishing in Oxford? I think there are a few going at my workplace, and if someone mentions my name on the application and gets in I get a nice recruitment bonus. :smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2009-07-30, 05:31 PM

Windows Vista. Job done. :smallwink:

Tharivol123
2009-07-30, 07:37 PM
Same problems here. Only instead of marketable skills try having a BA in political science/public administration with focuses on law and public policy. My education basically will either force me to go to grad school, get a government job of some kind (which I have been turned down for about ten or twelve already), or give up and go for a new undergrad degree in a different area.

Mrs Banjo
2009-07-31, 07:24 AM
It's not just you. I've been out of work since March 16th. I earned my MBA in May and have applied to well over a hundred jobs since then. In return, I've gotten 5 phone interviews, 3 in-person first interviews and 3 in-person second interviews. I'm continually told that I'm an excellent candidate, but there were a one or two other candidates with my same skills, but a few years more experience.

So, I'm waiting for those jerks to all get hired so that I can get a job. :smalltongue:

My undergrad degree is in product design (from IIT in Chicago) - what sort of product design do you specialize in?

I'm glad it's not just me. I am a computer aided product designer (CAD Jockey if you will) with a 2:1 from the University of Wolverhampton.

I'm getting the same replies, good candidate but no experience. I’ve had 2 interviews since I started my job hunt. But it's catch 22, they want graduates with experience and they wont give us the jobs to get the experience.

Any suggestions around this? :smallconfused:

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-31, 07:45 AM
I'm glad it's not just me. I am a computer aided product designer (CAD Jockey if you will) with a 2:1 from the University of Wolverhampton.

I'm getting the same replies, good candidate but no experience. I’ve had 2 interviews since I started my job hunt. But it's catch 22, they want graduates with experience and they wont give us the jobs to get the experience.

Any suggestions around this? :smallconfused:

My current solution is to go in with a friend to start our own company. We'll be doing contract web design work right now. There are a lot of companies out there right now that are looking for contractors to handle temporary projects. That way they don't have to hire on additional resources and pay for stuff like health care and such. Striking out on your own is tricky work, and certainly involves a lot more set-up than I originally imagined, but it can be rewarding. I'm building up my portfolio and experience pretty quickly thanks to a number of small projects that have been coming in. Plus, paying a few extra bills doesn't hurt either.