Willfor
2009-07-30, 02:03 PM
Midel Fing Garex-Tended's Standard Mage Binding

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: S*
Casting Time: One standard action.
Range: Medium (100ft + 10/level)
Target: Anything that has at least a single spell slot.
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The target becomes nonexistent while this spell is in effect. The caster may use the target's spell slots in the same manner the target could before the spell went into effect. Any magic items that could generate a limited number of supernatural or spell-like effects are counted among the spell slots gained (wands, scrolls, staffs, rings, rods, etc.) When the caster has expended all of the spell slots, the target is released from nonexistence in the exact place they were when the spell went into effect. The target is cannot use magic that was used by the caster until it is replenished by the rules governing the recovery of magic.

The somatic component for this spell is not mandatory, but is recommended for full effect.

PCs are unable to learn this spell because you say so.

Metamagic:

Quicken: Quicken is specifically allowed to be used on this spell regardless of what any other rules say. It also only takes up a level 2 spell slot when quickened.

Extend: Using Extend on this spell will instantly regenerate all of the spell slots from the target the extended spell is cast on the first time it is supposed to end.

Explosive When used on this spell (regardless of what any other rule says) when this spell is finished everything that the caster is wearing explodes. For each item this includes, deal 1d6 damage to the target and anyone standing within 10 feet of it.

Kallisti
2009-07-30, 02:06 PM
If you hate your players enough to do this to them, why not just use the Guardian Virus...

Willfor
2009-07-30, 02:14 PM
Because this can be used by a random level 1 wizard or sorceror. :smallsmile:

Edit: I would like to point out that this is pretty much just an exercise in making a spell I would never actually use. If I hated my players this much, I wouldn't play with them. However, I had an idea for this, and decided to run with it.

Lysander
2009-07-30, 02:25 PM
You can also try this spell:

Battlefield Earth
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Unlimited
Target: The players
Duration: Painfully long
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

When this spell is cast the DM immediately hands the players a copy of L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. They must read the entire book cover to cover. After they do that they must watch the film Ishtar. Then they must travel to New Jersey and drive through the industrial district until they run out of gas, then walk home barefoot.

While this spell is happening the DM may play video games, watch TV, eat junk food, or play D&D with a more pleasant group of people.

Cost
One copy of Battlefield Earth retrieved from the garbage or stolen from a bookstore, 10 pounds of bat guano dumped in the player's beds

Jogi
2009-07-30, 02:29 PM
Lol, I don't hate players, but I do hate their characters. As a matter of fact I wanna kill all of them right now and start over from level 1.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 02:32 PM
Midel Fing Garex-Tended's Standard Mage Binding
{snip}

I wonder how this would work if you actually intended to use it in normal gameplay. This could be an interesting spell.

Battlefield Earth
{snip}

Not so much this one, but I lol'd.

Willfor
2009-07-30, 02:49 PM

Battlefield Earth
*snip*

Oh man. I'm not even hypothetically that cruel. But I enjoyed it. :smallamused:

I wonder how this would work if you actually intended to use it in normal gameplay. This could be an interesting spell.

Well, you'd want to raise the level, and institute a save, otherwise it is an instant win to whichever caster gets initiative first. Provided another caster doesn't also have it in the other group. If you have very understanding players, and don't use it in a jerk-ish way, it could lead to very, very interesting encounters.

Stompy
2009-07-30, 04:36 PM
I lol'd at Battlefield Earth. Reminds me of Ashnod's Coupon from MTG.

Willfor, it seems that you hate your players because they are playing high-powered (in relative terms at least) casters. Your spell seems like it is the wrong way to go about nerfing these people, mainly because it literally says "Screw you guys". If you really want to use this spell, I would agree that a higher spell slot and a save are in order. If that is the case, I would then just recommend the spell Feeblemind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/feeblemind.htm).

I can't really recommend anything to remedy this problem until I know the power disparity in the party, and how experienced (irl) and leveled your casters are. (Depending on how bad your casters are, your spell may be moot with high caster initiatives, invisiblity, spell turning, and general domination shenanigans of your people with this spell.)

btw, I use Spell Turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellTurning.htm) against your Battlefield Earth. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, your spell Willfor does not end until the caster of that spell expends all the other caster's resources. In other words, the original caster can starve the target to death out in some bleak plane. That makes this spell better than Power Word Kill in many ways.

Willfor
2009-07-30, 04:47 PM
Willfor, it seems that you hate your players because they are playing high-powered (in relative terms at least) casters. Your spell seems like it is the wrong way to go about nerfing these people, mainly because it literally says "Screw you guys". If you really want to use this spell, I would agree that a higher spell slot and a save are in order. If that is the case, I would then just recommend the spell Feeblemind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/feeblemind.htm).

Edit: I would like to point out that this is pretty much just an exercise in making a spell I would never actually use. If I hated my players this much, I wouldn't play with them. However, I had an idea for this, and decided to run with it.

Though, actually, your advice is pretty good.

Stompy
2009-07-30, 05:14 PM
Though, actually, your advice is pretty good.

Thank you. :smallsmile:

You can also try the following:

Save or Suck Spells like Blindness/Deafness and Stinking Cloud
Grappling (unless they use Dimension Door or Freedom of Movement)
Bandit-like Tactics like long-range arrow hit and run, sneak attacking, scry-teleport-gank, attacking while most of the party is sleeping.
Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm), although this is along the same lines of "Screw you mages."
Custom Antimagic Fields (i.e. as AMF, but does not affect items, buffs are still nullified, and spells require a caster level check to cast.)
Constructs, most of them are immune to most magic, and have a lot of immunities to boot.

That is what I can think of at the moment, although I will agree that casters in 3.5 are ridiculous.

Willfor
2009-07-30, 06:33 PM
When I originally conceived of it, it was less simply to take on casters, and more the fact that once the BBEG that used it had all of their spell slots... well, that would pretty much give him enough power to finish the job on everyone else. Provided he played it smart.

A level 3 wizard with the Quicken metamagic feat hitting a level 20 wizard is still able to cast one of the spells he robs. The party is down a member, and the enemy suddenly has access to any number of useful spells. Throw one up that prevents the rest of the party from attacking him, and proceed to go to town.

I only JUST realised typing this out that the spell only ends when all of the spell slots are expended, and the target ceases to exist for the duration. So even if the party manages to best the low level wizard... :smalleek: