PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Non-Magical ACP Reduction?

Warclam
2009-07-30, 03:16 PM
Is there any way I can reduce an extreme shield (-4 armor check penalty) to have no penalty? First step, of course, is to make it out of mithral, but that still leaves 1 ACP to deal with. There's no real point using the nimbleness property, since for the price of a +1 nimble extreme shield I could get a +2 heavy shield, which would have the same AC bonus. A magical solution may still work if it's a fixed cost, though.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 03:17 PM
Is the 1 ACP going to kill you?

If you put the shield on your back, you do not suffer its ACP, and the most critical skills to not suffer a penalty on, hide and move silently... you shouldn't need a shield out, no?

Warclam
2009-07-30, 03:32 PM
It's a little nastier if you're not planning to become proficient with the thing. Penalties to attack rolls aren't fun.

However, you make a good point. If I can't find a way to nix the ACP, I may just suck it up. I'd rather not, though.

JeenLeen
2009-07-30, 03:38 PM
Masterwork armors have -1 to their ACP. Or does that not stack with mithral (that is, mithral is always masterwork)?

Eldariel
2009-07-30, 03:43 PM
Masterwork armors have -1 to their ACP. Or does that not stack with mithral (that is, mithral is always masterwork)?

As stated in the Mithril-description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral), Mithril is always masterwork and thus the benefits are included in the Mithril-adjustment.

That's the best you can do without magic with regards to ACP; none of the Armor/Weapon Templates in DMGII change ACP and IIRC, those are the only non-magical alterations that could do it in the game.

Thurbane
2009-07-30, 09:24 PM
Is an extreme shield one with wheels on it that you do skate tricks with? :smalltongue:

Kallisti
2009-07-30, 09:32 PM
I think the one ACP left over from mithril is the lowest you'll get without resorting to magic. You said something about not becoming proficient. Why not? Why use a shield you aren't proficient with if you care about attack rolls?

Warclam
2009-07-31, 03:54 PM
Is an extreme shield one with wheels on it that you do skate tricks with? :smalltongue:

Actually, I've been looking through Frostburn, and I thought I might try the extreme snowshield. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I didn't think there was a way to do it. Ah well, worth a shot.