PDA

View Full Version : Shrek & Shrek 2

Blood
2006-09-09, 10:26 PM
Hope this is the right forum...if not, mods please cart it off.

Yes I realize this is a movie intended mostly for kids, but hey, I am a kid. :P

Okay, down to business: I'm a nitpick. I realize this is a mostly comedy movie, and that it is again only for kids, so the plotlines can have some loopholes. I merely wish to point these out (whether they be important or not).

Shrek 1:

1. While Shrek was delivering Fiona back to Farquaad, they met the equivalent of Robinhood, and during the fight one arrow (which we also saw miss) was fired, and yet Shrek somehow managed to get it in his butt. Note: Also, it's funny too, because in Shrek 2 at the Fairy Godmother's Factory, he somehow dodged around 100 arrows from the security.

Huh. I guess it's mostly Shrek 2 then.

Shrek 2

1. At the very beginning of Shrek 2, when Prince Charming was reading from the storybook, it says something to the effect of "the King and Queen of Far Far Away had a baby girl, but when they saw her enchantment they sought the help of a fairy godmother," yet when Shrek later reads Fiona's diary, she can write, and she progresses over time (her writing goes from childish scrawl to highschool student-worthy), so that makes me think she didn't go to her tower until later (which contradicts the King and Queen going to the Fairy Godmother at birth).

2. Since when does Shrek get mail, or keep plants? When Shrek and Fiona get back from the honeymoon near the beginning, it is mentioned as a joke, and Shrek never had friends and he never seemed the type to look after plants.

3. At the end of Shrek 1, the three blind mice were magicked into horses and an onion carriage. In Shrek 2, Fiona, Donkey and Shrek use the carriage and horses to get to Far Far Away, yet the three blind mice are among the gang that "takes care of the house" when they leave.

4. In the Fairy Godmother's Factory, near the middle of the book, after Shrek gets away the Fairy Godmother receives a list saying only the potion that Shrek took is "unaccounted for." Yet, we see many potions drop down and break when Puss breaks the glass in a hurry.

5. This is one thing I was especially confused about. During the beginning of the movie, it was a particularly long gag (seemed like the trip took a few days, or a long while at least (700 miles or something!)) where Donkey kept saying "Are we there yet?" yet, when the gang (the three pigs, the mice, Pinnochio, Gingy, Wolf) sees the "Knights" show on the mirror, they head to Far Far Away to save Shrek and get there that night. Are they moving "at the speed of plot"? ;)

6. Nearing the end of the movie, during the ball, Fiona seems to knock Charming out by conking his head. Yet perhaps 15 seconds later, Charming manages to get over to where Puss and Donkey have the wand, and take it from them.

7. While in disguise at the Godmother's factory, Shrek says "TGIF" (thank god it's Friday), yet when Shrek, Puss and Donkey are at The Poison Apple, Puss says, "I hate Mondays." And it seems to be only the next day that had passed in between (so it should have been Saturday).

That's all that I remember, but criticism was not the only thing I had:

Throughout the movie (Shrek 2) there were subtle hints weaved in that were worthy of J.K. Rowling for the King secretly being a frog.

I also wondered something - Donkey took the Happily Ever After potion, and it worked on him. "Dragon" is seen at the very end of the movie, and she didn't mention anything, but did the potion work on her and then wear off before she got there? Or is she not his true love ( :'()? Or is it from what Puss read off the bottle - "Not intended for people with nervous disorders" (which Donkey definitely has problems with).

The Fairy Godmother forced the King to give Fiona the potion that would make her fall in love with Prince Charming. He was going to, but when she told him "she'd do anything to have the old Shrek back," he softened up and had her drink the wrong tea just in time. I liked that.

Why, oh why did Mongo have to lose his gumdrop button?? :'( ;)

Please comment.

General Leitmann
2006-09-10, 12:28 AM
I don't know what to think. I can honestly say I've never cared so much about a kiddy movie to notice flaws, which I am typically known to do.

Wow... just wow....

Silly_Bean
2006-09-10, 07:03 AM
Oh my god. You're not one of these people who actually saw the sticker on the apple that Aragon threw to the hobbits in LOTR:TFOTR are you?

Vaynor
2006-09-10, 09:49 AM
Wow. That's a lot of free time.

TheTick
2006-09-10, 10:05 AM
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts
then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax'

3. At the end of Shrek 1, the three blind mice were magicked into horses and an onion carriage. In Shrek 2, Fiona, Donkey and Shrek use the carriage and horses to get to Far Far Away, yet the three blind mice are among the gang that "takes care of the house" when they leave.

Remember, in Cinderella, the spells expire at midnight, so I assume that one did as well.

Blood
2006-09-10, 11:12 AM
To the first three posters (as I said before), I'm a nitpick, and I enjoy doing this, even if it is totally worthless. Am I weird? Yeah. :)

Remember, in Cinderella, the spells expire at midnight, so I assume that one did as well.
So you're saying you think it was a different carriage?