PDA

View Full Version : What are cool things you can do with d20 Modern?

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 07:02 PM
Around 3rd level-ish, nothing supernatural? I'm not a big fan of the system, but I've got a standing invite to a game with a guy who is personally very cool that I would enjoy roleplaying with, and I'm trying to reacquaint myself with the system... something that's easier when I can figure out something nifty to do mechanically.

raitalin
2009-07-30, 07:05 PM
As a player, or as a DM? Do you know the setting? They're wildly variable in d20M and have a big impact on what kind of character is effective.

Also, core only or including Future and Darkmatter? Some of the stuff from those is still viable in a non-supernatural game.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 07:08 PM
Player, I wouldn't try to DM a system I do not know very well. I mean I wouldn't try it a second time.

Setting is like a 15 minutes into the future kind of deal with air pirates and treasure hunting. Am told any supplement, but I don't have any books to work with, just the basic stuff.

raitalin
2009-07-30, 07:25 PM
Well, it all depends on what you like to play, but there's a lot of good options in d20F that seems like they'd fit the setting.

The Swindler's (Charismatic Hero) great for the "Dashing Swashbuckler" type that manages to escape from situation by the skin of his teeth and a beguiling smile on his face.

The Technosavant (Smart Hero) is great for the mechanic that makes due with whatever he can scrape up, though some of the class features are only useful if the campaign has robotics/cybernetics and such. The Engineer's a more "Typical" techie type, but is more focused on building and improving in a less "scraping to get by" setting.

The Space Monkey's (Tough) good for your typical pirate crew, rough-and-ready resourceful type.

The Field Officer is IMO, the best leader class. It gets lots of inspirational abilites and still gets Best BAB, which is a rarity in d20M.

Out of core, the Soldier (Elite grunt pirate), Gunslinger (Stylish swashbuckler type with 2 guns), Daredevil (Risk taking, "swing from the chandelier-like pirate), Bodyguard (First mate, manservant to the Captain, Sergeant-at-arms sort), Martial Artist (Likely a pugilist or boxer) and Negotiator (Charismatic type that can end a fight before it starts) can all fit in the setting well, and be able to contribute well.

Really, I've always thought the key to modern is thinking up a character and then finding the classes/talents/feats to fit it, as most of them are so generic and the talents and feats are so customizable. It, IMO, is not a system that should be attacked with the CharOp stick, being a low-power system.

NEO|Phyte
2009-07-30, 07:28 PM
I'm fond of making demolitions experts. Get a good Int, be a Smart Hero, take the Savant talent in craft(chemical) and Demolitions, and aim for Field Scientist. If you stack on enough pluses from feats and stuff, you can hit the DC 42 for making VX nerve gas on a good roll.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 07:32 PM
Really, I've always thought the key to modern is thinking up a character and then finding the classes/talents/feats to fit it, as most of them are so generic and the talents and feats are so customizable. It, IMO, is not a system that should be attacked with the CharOp stick, being a low-power system.

I'm less looking for Char Op stick and more looking for 'ooh, shiny mechanics'. A widget to fiddle with, if you will. :smallbiggrin: If there aren't any, then I'll just make a basic character quickly, but I like to involve myself in a system.

9mm
2009-07-30, 07:38 PM
hmm... around 3rd level is tough, but it also depends on how crazy your dm wants the game to be, could a tech guy make a jet-powered ford tarsus for example? (our dm's jaw dropped when we managed that one.) It's simple (reletively) things like that you can have fun with.

then there's just rules abuse, like C-4 + evasion = fast hero walking out of the crater remains of a base unharmed, after standing next to the bomb. That he set off.

Tough hero's are also fun, they're like a "get out of stupid Free" card.

raitalin
2009-07-30, 07:42 PM
Well, as far as options that aren't standard to D&D you'll find most of those in the Smart and Charismatic heroes and their advanced classes. The Smart hero gets some skill-check based party buffs, while the Techie AdvC gets the ability to jury-rig and make cool, if temporarily cool, weapons/vehicles, etc. The Field Scientist is almost the "Gish" of d20M, a smart character who can hold his own. and MacGuyver things.

A Charismatic/Negotiator has all sorts of fun abilities to play with, though if your party's the bloodthirsty sort, the may get tired of you talking your way through encounters.

The Tough/Daredevil makes the best use of Action Points, which don't pop up in all other d20 systems, so if you'd like to play with them, that's your best option.

EDIT: Oh, and I realize you're building for level 3, I'm just mentioning the AdvC so you can plan for entry. At 3 you are just going to be a base class, and I don't recommend Multiclassing that early, unless its Strong (only BAB)/Fast (good Def.)

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 10:57 PM
Think I'm going with a Dedicated Hero with a jetpack and a gun. :smallcool:

Question - do humans still do the 'extra feat, extra skill point' thing, or does d20 modern only assume humans so no one gets that?

NEO|Phyte
2009-07-30, 11:21 PM
Think I'm going with a Dedicated Hero with a jetpack and a gun. :smallcool:

Question - do humans still do the 'extra feat, extra skill point' thing, or does d20 modern only assume humans so no one gets that?

Humans still get that, it's pointed out in the books that detail nonhuman race options.

Tokiko Mima
2009-07-30, 11:22 PM
Look out for ways to game the Wealth system. It's possible by the rules to buy up a ton of low level junk and sell it back for a wealth boost, then repeat until you're wealthy beyond anyone dreams. It's possible to do this even accidentally, because of the way selling something gives out of of proportion boost to overall wealth, and the wealth system allows you to buy certain items essentially for free.

AstralFire
2009-07-31, 02:17 AM
The DM let us roll 20s for our wealth checks, so I wasn't about to abuse such nice generosity. :smalltongue:

Thanks for the help, this is what I ended up with:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=143435

Berserk Monk
2009-07-31, 02:18 AM
d20 Modern? I don't know. Me and some friends bought the source book because we wanted to make a mafia campaign.

Sir Homeslice
2009-07-31, 05:52 AM
Generally unrelated to the thread, but I had a character (Tough Hero 4) who could literally swallow grenades, and come out perfectly safe 90% of the time, thanks to lucky dice rolls for stats and very nice rolls for HP.

I miss him. I had fun pushing the DM's buttons as far as profanity and ridiculous stunts were involved. Or involving both. I still wish Tough Heroes got full BAB.

AstralFire
2009-07-31, 09:27 AM
It did seem a little odd that the only way to get full BAB as a Basic Class was to learn how to punch harder. However, I've managed to make a character that emulates some of Megaman's tricks in a Megaman Legends game, so I'm happy. (I gots an arm cannon that can switch what its firing from Concussion Beams to Plasma Waves. I got the basic weapon from Light Industries, with an upgrade from Radiant Owl, Ltd! :elan:)

raitalin
2009-07-31, 11:14 AM
Generally unrelated to the thread, but I had a character (Tough Hero 4) who could literally swallow grenades, and come out perfectly safe 90% of the time, thanks to lucky dice rolls for stats and very nice rolls for HP.

I miss him. I had fun pushing the DM's buttons as far as profanity and ridiculous stunts were involved. Or involving both. I still wish Tough Heroes got full BAB.

This is why d20M is meant to be played with point buy and you institute automatic criticals when someone swallows a grenade.

I enjoy the rarity of full BAB in modern, it makes it something really special and gives melee characters something a lot of ranged builds don't get. Also, its relative anyway as Defenses aren't generally as high as in D&D.