PDA

View Full Version : I wanna ride a bear. (3.5)

Coidzor
2009-07-30, 07:34 PM
How do I go about this and when is it first feasible?

What is the going rate for a bear anyway?

BRC
2009-07-30, 07:35 PM

Handle Animal, Ride, A custom saddle, and Pizza of +2 DM Bribery.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-30, 07:37 PM
Or just Wild Cohort(Bear).

Starscream
2009-07-30, 08:51 PM
Halfling druids get substitution levels that help them use their Animal Companions as mounts. It's in Races of the Wild. You get a bonus to ride checks, and don't ever need a saddle.

But yeah, any animal can be trained. Bearing a rider is just another Trick it can learn.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 09:03 PM
If you're not planning on mounted combat, I'd make a bear cost the same as a horse.

If you are, I'd make a Large bear cost 600 GP, at a random guess and eyeball.

Wanting to ride a bear is an admirable goal.

Draken
2009-07-30, 09:19 PM
Quite a close call for Astralfire.

You could buy a trained Brown Warbear (a brown bear with the warbeast template from MMII) for 575 gold. It's is a slightly stronger brown bear trained to carry a rider into battle.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 09:23 PM
Dang, I rock! Go Astral, go Astral! It's... less than a month from my birthday! It's LTAMFMB! -moonwalks back to the topic list-

Thrawn183
2009-07-30, 10:10 PM
But yeah, any animal can be trained. Bearing a rider is just another Trick it can learn.

AHAHAHAHAHAH....ouch. :smallwink:

Nano
2009-07-30, 10:12 PM
That was despicable, Starscream. I love you. So hard.

BobVosh
2009-07-30, 11:51 PM
Dang, I rock! Go Astral, go Astral! It's... less than a month from my birthday! It's LTAMFMB! -moonwalks back to the topic list-

I expected better from you. I would be impressed from anyone else. But you? Tsk tsk.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 11:56 PM
I expected better from you. I would be impressed from anyone else. But you? Tsk tsk.

-moonwalks back in from Topic List-
-slaps Bob Vosh on the back of the head-
-moonwalks back out to Ice, Ice Baby-

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-30, 11:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/RenegadePaladin/Fantasy%20Art/BearCavalry.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

Starscream
2009-07-31, 06:07 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAH....ouch. :smallwink:

That was despicable, Starscream. I love you. So hard.

I stared at your posts for two minutes before I got it.

But yeah, I totally meant to do that.:smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-31, 06:14 AM

Ahahaha <T_T> somehow, this just cracked me the hell up. Bravo <^-^>

Melamoto
2009-07-31, 06:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/RenegadePaladin/Fantasy%20Art/BearCavalry.jpg

Hunting Rifle
2d10 (x2)
80'
8 lb
Piercing
Can fire 5 times before reloading (Full round action)

DO IT. The DM must obey in this command.

Edit: Alternatively, Automatic Pistol and Longsword. This would be awesome beyond words.

Edit the 2nd: Also, you could be a Paladin and convince your DM to let you have a bear as your special mount. And lets face it, Paladin fits this best. Smiting Evil from the back of a Bear using a Gun and Sword. In a Fantasy setting.

Edit the 3rd: Or, on the high chance your DM denies this, replace the Rifle with a Crossbow, or the pistol with a hand crossbow.

Eloel
2009-07-31, 06:21 AM
I stared at your posts for two minutes before I got it.

But yeah, I totally meant to do that.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah you sure did :smallamused:

Stabby
2009-07-31, 07:25 AM
Just want to point you to another thread which, while it doesn't tell you cost, describes some of the moments of true awesome in which bear cavalry can deliver.

Royal Bear Airforce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119966)

AslanCross
2009-07-31, 07:34 AM
The Magebred Brown bear from Eberron (Five Nations) is about the same CR as the regular Brown Bear. It's slightly stronger and tougher, but its Excellent Learner ability allows it to learn more tricks at lower DCs. It's available as an animal companion to Lv 7 Druids.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-31, 05:40 PM

To answer you first question, but what kind of bear, and the best way probably to make a druid with an animal companion.

As for the second question, I'm pretty sure their free considering you'll have to find one in nature because not many people would want to train a bear.

Zadus
2009-07-31, 06:45 PM
As for the second question, I'm pretty sure their free considering you'll have to find one in nature because not many people would want to train a bear.

And lucky for you bears are pretty easy to find. People run in to them every now and then by accident. They usually aren't afraid of people either, so its not like they'll run away.

Mount might not be as useful in the winter though...

Cieyrin
2009-07-31, 10:56 PM
If you want a badass bear, I'd say get a Horrid Magebred one, though it'll probably cost a pretty penny. I'm not sure how the Animal Companion rules work with multiple templates, so I'm probably gonna go with saying you probably can't get one that way. That's more custom work through Druids and Wizards and probably getting a Dire Bear for it, since Horrid only applies to dire critters. CR 9 12 HD angry beasty with acid claws and scary strength. Does not come under warranty, no returns, exchanges or refunds.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Fizban
2009-08-01, 05:38 AM
Standard as mentioned above is Druid Animal Companion (Bear) or Wild Cohort (link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)). I'm pretty sure the Warbeast pricing is highly abusable, but.... Titanic Wartoad! Dire Wartortise! And so on. Remember that your mount needs to be one size larger than you, so the soonest you can do it is a small character on a black bear, or a medium character on a brown bear. As you level up, look into the Dire Bear (MMI) and Dire Polar Bear (Frostburn). There's a feat in one of the Eberron books that allows you to add the Horrid Template for extra acid damage by taking a hit to your effective druid level if you go that way.

If you find a huge sized bear in a book, slap the Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape) on it to pack a ton of power into a smaller package and still ride it.

Irreverent Fool
2009-08-01, 05:45 AM
Standard as mentioned above is Druid Animal Companion (Bear) or Wild Cohort (link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)). I'm pretty sure the Warbeast pricing is highly abusable, but.... Titanic Wartoad! Dire Wartortise! And so on. Remember that your mount needs to be one size larger than you, so the soonest you can do it is a small character on a black bear, or a medium character on a brown bear. As you level up, look into the Dire Bear (MMI) and Dire Polar Bear (Frostburn). There's a feat in one of the Eberron books that allows you to add the Horrid Template for extra acid damage by taking a hit to your effective druid level if you go that way.

If you find a huge sized bear in a book, slap the Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape) on it to pack a ton of power into a smaller package and still ride it.

The warbeast template is way too cheap, but it does provide a simple way for a character who wants an awesome mount to purchase one within the RAW without resorting to leveling as a druid. I'm partial to small characters on cheetahs. Ride-by attack and a 600' movement for one round is great fun.

obnoxious
sig