PDA

View Full Version : What was the weakest character you ever made?

quick_comment
2009-07-30, 10:16 PM
In my first foray into epic characters, I made something like a monk 10/reaping mauler 5/fighter 4/some monk prc 6.

Yes, I attempted to grapple epic level casters.

(This character has the 2nd worst record in the history of the arena)

The 3rd worst character was also mine. It was based around the ghostwalker prc in sword and fist, with the idea that the 2nd time I faced someone, I would have +10 to attack, damage and AC.

Signmaker
2009-07-30, 10:18 PM
Arguably, the monk I just made for ToS. But anyway...

A TWFing shield basher cleric. That was...an odd moment of my life.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-30, 10:19 PM
A CW samurai. I shouldn't have to elaborate as to why.

Mongoose87
2009-07-30, 10:20 PM
Level 2 Elven fighter. He had a propensity to go down fast, and a mere 15 strength and 12 constitution.

ChaosDefender24
2009-07-30, 10:20 PM
A stunning-fist based monk. It was level 4. I don't remember what my friend was playing, but it was another level 4 and we fought a CR 4 force golem.

We lost.

Thrawn183
2009-07-30, 10:35 PM
In a 4e campaign I played a rogue with it's highest stat in strength. I ended up making basic attacks instead of using my dailies because they were so much more likely to hit.

I had a Con score of 8 as a dragonborn, which meant I took my con penalty to healing surges.

I also didn't wear magical armor until my DM forced a set of +3 on me.

But man was that one of my favorite characters ever! A CE dragonborn rogue who worshipped the goddess of murder and ran an orphanage. He vowed to never murder two people in an identical fashion. He was quite successful in that respect.

Guancyto
2009-07-30, 10:36 PM
I once made a 15th-level fighter with Greater Weapon Focus/Specialization/Imp Critical, all in Quarterstaff. And the full TWF line.

It was my first D&D character. I died pretty horribly. :smallredface:

herrhauptmann
2009-07-30, 11:00 PM
Bard 1 in 3.0.
7 str, 10 dex, 8 con. 18 cha.
ANd we had no frontline fighter or any actual healer. I died to a goblin

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 11:04 PM
Expert 1, 10 in all stats but Int, which was 18.

After that... uh... I... dunno. ... I've played so little as opposed to DMed that I think the weakest I ever got was a level 2 monk, and monks aren't relatively horrible at level 2.

My very first character was a L5 druid and I optimized that terribly because I didn't want to bother with an animal companion and I only ever wildshaped into birds, but I had Spellfire because I thought it was an awesome feat. So. Yeah. There was this one time I blew a BBEG's head off in the first round with like 41 damage at level 6.

Deepblue706
2009-07-30, 11:05 PM
A Human Paladin with the following attributes:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 10
INT 18
WIS 13
CHA 12

Yeah, I didn't care much about attribute allocation when 3.0 first came out...

Interestingly, he never died. In fact, if I remember correctly, he was the star of the group. Although his skills probably had something to do with that...

Seatbelt
2009-07-30, 11:43 PM
A gnome beguiler. 8 str. weakest character I've ever made.

Of course, he totally rocks the house.

Mechanically the weakest dude I've made was a dwarf knight/dwarven defender. I had good AC for the first part of the campaign but the DM didn't scale our equipment very well, so my AC didn't scale well, so at level 8 I was great and at level 12 when I died, I sucked. And my damage was almost always terrible because I used a spiked chain and didn't have power attack.

Yora
2009-07-30, 11:52 PM
Half-Elf Ranger4/Sorcerer4 in 3.0.

I really like the concept, but now I know how to make it with a much stronger build.

Blacky the Blackball
2009-07-31, 01:56 AM
Ah... My weakest ever character (not including things like Bunnies and Burrows characters who are weak by definition, being rabbits) was Chester.

It was in 1st edition D&D and when rolled stats for a character at the start of the campaign my highest roll was a 9. My lowest was a 3.

I played Chester the Magic User (that's "Wizard" for those of you who don't know the older editions). 1st Edition had a cap on the number of spells of each level you could have in your book based on your Int, plus learning new spells was not automatic - you had a chance of success based on your Int.

I put the 9 into Int, but started with absolutely no offensive spells - because none of the ones (randomly generated of course, this was 1st ed) my master gave me when I finished my apprenticeship were very good and the number of slots in my spellbook was so low that if I put those in then I wouldn't have room for better spells that I might be able to find/buy later on.

If I recall correctly, he survived until 5th level despite his Con penalty - relying on the extra hit points his familiar gave him. In the end his familiar died and he was reduced from 12 hit points when fully healed to 4 hit points when fully healed. Yes, he had fewer hit points than levels. At that point, he decided it was time to quit adventuring, sell his magic items, and use the money to open an inn (which the rest of the party - including my new character who replaced him - then used as a base of operations for the rest of the campaign).

Salt_Crow
2009-07-31, 01:59 AM
Elf Psion (nomad) 3 who had exotic weapon proficiency: spiked chain. Just because I could.

Yeah, it was my first character XD

Myrmex
2009-07-31, 02:12 AM
Level 1 half orc adept. Pretty neat character (played her as a witch), but horribly weak. Rolled 3d6 for her stats, in order. It was pretty urgh.

Eloel
2009-07-31, 02:14 AM
My L20 Psion. He had 6 Str. :)

jagadaishio
2009-07-31, 02:37 AM
In an all-commoner game, I played a character with the Track feat, proficiency in longbows, and skilled in Craft (Bowmaking) and Survival. While being one of the most powerful characters in the group, it was still my weakest character. One of the most fun to play, though.

Skorj
2009-07-31, 02:59 AM
My weakest character was the (physically) strongest one. This was a homebrew SciFi system, where typical weapon ranges were measured in kilometers, and for fun I made a strength-base melee character.

Although, that did turn out to be quite amusing by mid-game, as we kept running into opponents who were more-or-less immune to weapons that any sensible person would use, but weren't protected from some improvised one-shot melee weapon we'd create just for that opponent (and it would alway be me chosen to bell the cat).

Still, most of his battles involved sucessfully getting into range to attack/grapple/ride the opponent, then detemining there just wasn't anything he could possibly do to injure it. :amused: Fortunately, that character could contribute in other ways.

arguskos
2009-07-31, 03:23 AM
Tulin Chanus, my weakest character. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=110279) He's a level 5 half-elf fighter, who likes using bows and quarterstaves. He's not even my first character (far from it!), but he is PATHETICALLY weak.

Coidzor
2009-07-31, 03:25 AM
First level Dwarven Cleric with a natural 18. Guess which stat I put it in. If you guessed Dwarven Dump Stat 1, then you're right. *facepalm*

<_< He also had in his backstory that he was rather physically weak for a dwarf due to having a human great-great-grandfather (somehow was charismatic enough to seduce a dwarf despite being weird enough to be into dwarven women in the first place) and I should've just gone with a cloistered cleric instead due to his low-combat priority due to the fact we had... a fighter, a barbarian, a ranger, a paladin, and a rogue on the front lines. (And then there was me and a sorcerer elf who was almost as short and stout as I was...)

Aharon
2009-07-31, 03:39 AM
Hm...
Tci'Deneb, a 2nd Edition Paladin who just had the necessary stats and pretty much 4s, 5s and sixes in the others, and who in his first adventure died a horrible death at the claws of Cthulhu (not really a serious game, but I mention it for completeness).

Rohair, a 3.0 Psychic Warrior who was absolutely unoptimized, and swiftly replaced by a cleric because of death.

At about that time, I had my first contact with the wizard boards, and started to try to optimize my characters - though I have to admit that I'm often lazy and just copy one of the good builds other people already have thought of.

mikej
2009-07-31, 03:59 AM
How do I decide? During my entire d&d career i've only played the Druid and Wizard. Both were fairly decent.

... I had a CW Samurai Cohort once.

kamikasei
2009-07-31, 04:11 AM
My first D&D-style character was in Neverwinter Nights. Monk/Sorcerer with a one-level dip in Fighter.

>.<

Yeah, I didn't know what I was doing. I think I may have not realized that there was a level cap at twenty, so I was just throwing on whatever looked good not realizing the actual cost.

Although in fact, straight Monk wasn't that bad in NWN - a combination, I think, of the 3.0 rules, the fact that you were only a single character anyway and so individual survivability worked perfectly well, and the incredibly bad caster AI - oh, and the total lack of WBL restrictions. Boring as hell to play, because it was just "click on enemy, wait for enemy to die, why bother using any interesting tactical options?". However, this led to my physically weakest moment.

I was playing through Hordes of the Underdark with a straight-classed Monk, who was probably epic at this point. At one stage a cleric of Talona infects you with a debilitating illness and forces you to fight a series of cage matches as you become progressively weaker. You can choose between three enemies, which were a giant spider, a troll, and something I can't remember.

So I fight. It's dull and frustrating because the strength damage means I'm missing a lot and not doing much damage when I hit. It gets worse with each round.

I reach the final round and by this stage my Monk is weak as a kitten. And for some reason I choose to fight the troll.

My character has ridiculous AC and items granting regeneration. The troll is a troll. It hardly ever hits me. I hardly ever hit it. We're both continuously healing.

I went for a cup of tea. Half an hour later the dullest fight ever was still playing itself out on my screen, requiring no intervention from me. I killed it - eventually.

Nai_Calus
2009-07-31, 05:16 AM
Celenden Theleril, AKA Nai Calus, Bard 4/Swashbuckler 5, in a campaign with nearly no magical items... Well, just look at this and cry: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=143471

Yeah it was pretty miserable and he was absolutely terrible, especially in the campaign he was in. (The DM never did let me roll that +20 Diplomacy. Not even after lengthy in-character attempts to convince the leader of the group of NPCs described as 'Any one of these guys would be a tough fight for the three of you' to work with us rather than kill us... *weeps*)

banjo1985
2009-07-31, 05:38 AM
My worst ever character was a basic Rogue in a Hackmaster game, his name was Hugh Mann :smalltongue: He had a Strength of 5, a Dexterity of 9, and 3 Constitution. He was epically awful.

Having said that, he was one of only two characters to survive the first fight we had against a bunch of goblins. Hugh survived by stabbing one goblin in the back and suceeding at a lucky grapple, spending the rest of the fight hanging on to the back of the unfortunate goblin, doing a mighty 1hp damage per round. I liked Hugh. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Homeslice
2009-07-31, 05:42 AM
Human Rogue 2/Swordsage 4. No stat over 15, badly picked feats, badly picked stances/maneuvers...

To be fair to myself, it was my first character ever.

mostlyharmful
2009-07-31, 05:48 AM
Human commoner 1 - Bob the Farmer (imaginative I know). He went on a great quest for some seed for next year and it turned out to be a great adventure - the others were all commoners too and only one of us had chicken infested and we used the chickens as the tanks until we could run away. Plus none of us starved and we ended up at 3rd level opening a grilled chicken house on the trade route. no stat over 11 in the entire group. great fun for two nights.

AslanCross
2009-07-31, 05:48 AM
Paladin 7/Swordsage 11. I used OWA's Rebalanced Paladin, but she still sucked. Couldn't hit a darn thing.

PId6
2009-07-31, 05:57 AM
Orc wizard 2 with Int 10. I had 22 Str, an ironbound spellbook for whacking, a lot of cantrips, and 3 hp. It was meant for a silly game. Never actually had a chance to play him but it would have been interesting if I did.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-31, 06:02 AM
<'x'> Weak characters are like, my forte! <,<

Where do I even start...

Well let's see... Bard 4/Fighter 2/Soulforger (3rd Party) 7 (I think thats the right level).

As far as actual functionality goes... he was pretty horrible. Conceptually he was supposed to be a madman trying to reconstruct his deceased girlfriend (Soulforger let you build new creatures from scratch - including new forms of life... but they were soulless and would go insane over time)

Still, major enjoyment from the RP side of things. To the point where I actually made him a (very random) god in one of my old campaigns >.>

Catgirl monk in a 3.0 campaign.

Largely this is just the fault of poor stat distribution on my part.

12 Strength, 16 dex, 14 wis, 10 con, 10 int, 14 cha.

>.< Was fun to play for awhile until it turned out I could not really succeed at anything but "I punch him" after a short while. (In my head, I'd had this idea that I'd be grappling and throwing people a lot, and using bull rush... yeah, strength would have been a good investment <x.x> but I just HAD to have Charisma. "Diplomacy is a class skill!" *facepalm*)

Probably could revive the character and make her a lot better now.

Dual-wielding Elf Paladin - mostly in this case because Complete Champion wasn't out yet.

If it HAD been, I think I could have made it work, since I could have taken Holy Warrior, dumped my spells and dropped my Wis score (and thus pumped everything else). Dual Wield is stat intensive on a pally >.< and it's not a great option to start with.

But at the time it just didn't work with a 28 point buy; at least not very well. Didn't have a high enough strength; and couldn't afford Weapon Finesse due to a lack of feats.

I'm sure I've got a gajillion others... Still love most of them though <^_^>

kamikasei
2009-07-31, 06:05 AM
*smacks forehead*

I somehow forgot the first-level Expert I played (very briefly) in a PbP here where we were all pretending to be real adventurers. She was surely weaker than the NWN character, although better put together since I actually knew what on earth I was doing. Sadly, the game died very quickly.

SirKazum
2009-07-31, 07:35 AM
My weakest character was no doubt a Shadowrun elf with a lower priority in Magic, and a more or less high priority in Skills (as far as the race allowed). I was new to the game, and essentially trying to be an elven mage/thief. Needless to say, Shadowrun is not AD&D 2E, and it did not quite work as intended :smalltongue:

In D&D (2E again), it was probably a gladiator fighter who had lots of abilities in the 3-5 range, and his strongest was a 12 Str IIRC. I don't believe I actually got to play that one though, or maybe played very briefly, less than a session (fortunately).

Gaiyamato
2009-07-31, 07:38 AM
A stock standard 2.0 Wizard.
Horrid. But fun. :)
Spent most of my time bashing things with a stick because I'd always run out of spells.

My second weakest was also a Wizard, in 3.5 this time. Though he had a bit of a hard time of it through bad luck early on gimping him seriously later on. :P

My third weakest was a multiclass Druid/Wizard who focused on hand to hand combat and horse riding. Very fun to play though.

Indon
2009-07-31, 08:27 AM
Half-orc fighter - we were running a toughness save-based HP system (From Mutants and Masterminds), so I decided to screw around with my build and took Power Attack, Combat Expertise, TWF, and a variety of feats (some homebrewed) to pump his damage up - and then every round I would PA for full, CE for full, and TWF. The idea was to roll a 20 eventually and KO my opponents.

It didn't work too well. I wasn't too bad at soaking up attacks (since I sure looked dangerous), but it was only a matter of time before an enemy got lucky and crit me, I failed the toughness save, and it coup de grace'd me the next round.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-31, 08:30 AM
I stubbornly played a Commoner 1 child once in a 3.0 game. I was a gnome, so I was effectively Tiny. The party kept me around as a pet, but I was able to contribute sometimes, when the stars were just right. :smalltongue:

Chrono22
2009-07-31, 09:08 AM
I played a commoner with all 8s for stats. The dice gods favored the character, so I was able to contribute pretty well, and even managed to survive situations the rest of the party didn't.

potatocubed
2009-07-31, 10:15 AM
The physically weakest character I ever played was Ubar the goblin wizard, with a Strength of 4.

Yes, 4. Two points of Strength less than his tiny viper familiar. Just about enough to stand up in his clothes and carry a dagger.

He made up for that by being made of awesome, though.

Mechanically weakest? Um... all of them? I don't think I've built a mechanically strong character in my life. Possibly the half-celestial bard for a level 4 game - everyone else was level 4, I was level 1 with better-than-average stats. I died in the first encounter due to only having 10 hp or so.

#Raptor
2009-07-31, 10:26 AM
Mechanically the weakest dude I've made was a dwarf knight/dwarven defender. I had good AC for the first part of the campaign but the DM didn't scale our equipment very well, so my AC didn't scale well, so at level 8 I was great and at level 12 when I died, I sucked. And my damage was almost always terrible because I used a spiked chain and didn't have power attack.
Welcome to the club. :smallbiggrin:

Dwarven Defender/Dwarf Paragon in my case, made him for a forum game here. I actually rolled pretty good... a 17 and a 18, put the 18 and all level-up points into con.

Well, he was tough... and It actually might have worked out ok (due to the adventure being set in a tower - so I expected lots of small hallways).
But due to him being a dwarven defender, he would have been completely unable to move in any case were mobility would have been important. So, yeah. Good thing that game died before the first encounter, I think.

Zaggab
2009-07-31, 11:16 AM
Fighter who was going for Tempest, dual-wielding kukris. The campaign died out before I ever got into Tempest, which was kind of good since that character 1) couldn't hit 2) didn't do any damage when he did hit. Plus, I had the notion that whirlwind attack was good, so I was trying to get that too.

The party wizard killed more foes in melee combat than me one session.

FMArthur
2009-07-31, 01:16 PM
I made a soulknife and went for TWF. I won't bore you with the details since it really just came down to poor class and feat choices. Couldn't hit, didn't have enough actions to keep Psychic Strike useful, and I believe I was a small race that couldn't run far.

woodenbandman
2009-07-31, 01:28 PM
My worst character was a Bard with Weapon Finesse and Quickblade Rapier Proficiency. I played it pretty smart, and used my abilities fairly well, until I finally got fed up with not getting any kills ever at all ever, so I challenged an orc warrior to a duel. I had 8 con. So... yeah. I got crit to death.

The next one wasn't any better. Another bard with two weapon fighting and 2 short swords.

Third time was a charm, though. I made a knight that was pretty all right. This was back when I was a noob and I thought I'd invented Lockdown.

Toliudar
2009-07-31, 02:14 PM
I once played a child prodigy wizard (10th level, 20+ int) who started the game feebleminded. Somehow, the group managed to bypass the sidequest that got the feeblemind removed, so I just stayed this annoying, sweet, powerless kid who followed the rest of them around. Thank goodness it was a tournament, not a campaign!

Frosty
2009-07-31, 02:15 PM
I once played a child prodigy wizard (10th level, 20+ int) who started the game feebleminded. Somehow, the group managed to bypass the sidequest that got the feeblemind removed, so I just stayed this annoying, sweet, powerless kid who followed the rest of them around. Thank goodness it was a tournament, not a campaign!

Can't they just Heal it away?

Telonius
2009-07-31, 02:31 PM
I seem to have a habit of making fairly weak characters that nevertheless survive in campaigns far longer than they ought to.

Right after BoED came out, I made a VoP Lesser Drow Monk/Tattooed Monk for Shackled City. Mordechai somehow managed to be the leader of the group, and did not die once in the entire campaign. He even had a crowning moment of awesome, believe it or not: he ended up disarming the BBEG of his brilliant energy weapon, which probably saved the party from a TPK.

In an Age of Worms campaign, a Shifter Rogue/Wizard/MasterofMasks/Arcane Trickster. Poor Phido was multiclassed to oblivion. Wisdom penalty, middling Charisma, full ranks in Bluff but none in Sense Motive. I played him as a conman who was so good at lying that he believed his own BS. Almost totally ineffective at combat (the Soulknife/Soulbow was more useful :smalleek:), but incredibly fun to play.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-31, 03:16 PM
Hm... well, once I played a rogue2/ranger2/sorceror3/dragon disciple 3, IIRC. Thing was, I pumped everything into charisma and tried to focus on spellcasting, just having combat and stuff as an aside. It... didn't work too well. One of the first characters I ever played in 3.5... and my half-elf ranger/wizard/rogue was the star of the party, back in the days of 2e... had no idea why it didn't work a second time.:smalltongue:

The Manly Man
2009-07-31, 05:15 PM
I joined a group where the DM had made the characters. I joined halfway through the campaign, and was told that the party needed a rogue. I asked what the creation guidelines were, but was told that it would be easy for the DM to just make me something.

I ended up with an elven level 7 rogue who had spent a feat on scimitar proficiency, had a Str of 8 and took Toughness. Twice. The skill points were so spread out that he wasn't actually good at anything.

The other party members (also DM-made) were a gnome samurai, a two-weapon fighting human hexblade who wielded 2 dwarvern waraxes (without even the Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting feat) and a half-orc wizard/druid/sorcerer (that's right - three casting stats).

I stayed for 2 sessions, and saw 3 TPKs. After each one some NPCs would turn up and raise all the characters. I asked about making my own character, and was told that the DM didn't like powergamers so made "balanced" characters so the players would enjoy it more.

SoD
2009-07-31, 05:20 PM
Hmm. There was one time I played a Monk for the fun of it. I decided to roll stats in order, for the fun of it. My half-elf monk had; str 6, dex 9, con 7, int 10, wis 8, cha 11.

Totally Guy
2009-07-31, 05:25 PM
Hmm. There was one time I played a Monk for the fun of it. I decided to roll stats in order, for the fun of it. My half-elf monk had; str 6, dex 9, con 7, int 10, wis 8, cha 11.

My monk is not quite that bad but my guy is going to suck until at least 6th level...

Ernir
2009-07-31, 05:43 PM
My very first one. D&D 3.5, a core only half-elf Paladin.

Jerthanis
2009-08-01, 05:13 AM
Oddly enough, probably a druid I played from levels 1-5, only levelling up to 5 at the last session. I had a Light Riding Horse as an animal companion, the party was entirely Melee Fighters other than me, so I couldn't use Entangle easily, so I pretty much tossed Produced Flames for most of the game while sitting at the back.

I did actually play a CW Samurai once, but I had really good stats and had wings, so I was basically playing Flyby Attack with a full base attack bonus.

Korivan
2009-08-01, 09:55 AM
That would be Dob... We had a new dm, and he was inexperienced and very paranoid we'd cheat. So all dice rolls for everything were made in the open. Normaly, if you roll extremely bad, our typical dm will let you re-roll, but its gotta be really bad. So I roll up a character, and end up with a high of 11, and a low of 4 for all my stats. Went with a human fighter. We ended up starting as prisoners with no items, we broke out and I took a quarter staff for a weapon. With a intelligence and wisdom combined under 10...I became the village idiot who bashed things with a stick. Outlived the wizard by a bizare turn of events though.:smallsmile:

Vortling
2009-08-01, 10:24 AM
First level human wizard. I don't remember his stats but I was very new to D&D at that point and his spell selection consisted entirely of daze, flare and obscuring mist. Amusingly he was the only one alive when the campaign ended as he rolled a natural 20 on his reflex save to avoid the spiked pit trap that killed the rest of the party.

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-01, 10:36 AM
I think it was Gaunt, the Ranger/Fighter who used 2 Bastard Swords with Oversized TWF. Shockingly, he did more damage than the Warrior and about par with the Barbarian. Was the first time I played a character without any help from friends/family and I was with a bunch of first time players. I think he died to a door that the Rogue had assured us all that it was not trapped. It was either that or I was attempting to Bull Rush and I didn't quite realize that we had limited space, so me and the Minotaur took 20d6 fall damage off of the tower.

What makes the CW Samurai so terrible? Looking at it, it seems to be sort of lousy but I would not put it in the same level of a commoner; what am I missing?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-08-01, 10:37 AM

Dude... you could have re-rolled those stats! =)

My "weakest", as in could not do a damned thing, had to have been my first character; also happens to be my avatar's name.

Quirinus was a Sorc4/Cleric3/Mystic Theurge 4 that specialized in necromancy spells. I know, I know... the least optimized character ever created. His crowning moment of awesome came when he raised the Fire Giant that killed our party tank as a skeleton. The rest of his life was ... not so awesome. Let's put it this way... he was "traded in" for a Shadow creature human soulknife. Who, incidentally, had to be one of the more fun characters I got to play. Insane hide check, Pounce ability, and Raptor School feat made for some interesting encounters.

----------------
Now playing: The Gathering - Even the Spirits Are Afraid (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/the+gathering/track/even+the+spirits+are+afraid)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

DemonSlayer
2009-08-01, 10:40 AM
Low-level pixie ranger. With close combat as a specialty... What was I thinking?

Greenfaun
2009-08-01, 10:42 AM
My very first 3.0 character was a half-elf ranger/bard multiclass. Other than the archery feat from ranger, I'm pretty sure my feats were weapon finesse and cleave. Yeah. I was the party's only healer. It was sad.

I also once played a nearly-useless Mental-attribute-focussed Silent Strider Galliard linguist/historian in a predominantly-combat Werewolf game. D'oh.

Korivan
2009-08-01, 10:48 AM
On a side note, what is C W Samari, and where do I find it?

Ernir
2009-08-01, 10:59 AM
On a side note, what is C W Samari, and where do I find it?

"CW" stands for Complete Warrior, the name of the book.
It is just a bad, bad base class for a Samurai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai). :smalltongue:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-08-01, 11:02 AM
It is just a bad, bad base class for a Samurai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai). :smalltongue:

Many would say that it is mechanically the worst "base class" ever created. Many are correct. :smallbiggrin:

The original Oriental Adventures Samurai was MUCH better.

Complete Warrior brought us some of the best (Hexblade, Dervish, Frenzied Berserker) and some of the worst (Samurai) in DND. It still remains one of the best books for WoTC 3.5.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 11:21 AM

Namely, it's the worst base class ever because it simultaneously is mechanically ineffective and completely redundant against the Fighter, Swashbuckler and Ranger, all of whom could do a fair job representing a Samurai - and that's before Tome of Battle came out.

http://www.theanteheroes.com/Humor/CWSamurai.PNG

The WizO mods were not happy with me when I made this picture.

Meek
2009-08-01, 11:36 AM
I once played in a D&D 3.5 game where I must have been tripping huge balls because I decided to play a Bard even though I hate the class so hard its children were born with hate cancer. Campaign started at level 8ish, I spent most of it the first six sessions casting buffs, rolling charisma skills and generally not doing much of anything with them since most enemies were of the "chaotic kill you" variety. Everyone else in the party was melee of some kind. Then I found the Sublime Chord which made Bards more to my liking. But for the few levels in which I was not yet a Sublime Chord it was definitely the low point of my D&D career.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 11:39 AM
Sorry, SIMP, but Bards are awesome. It's an Empirical Fact.

Meek
2009-08-01, 12:56 PM
Sorry, SIMP, but Bards are awesome. It's an Empirical Fact.

Your earthbound logic does not function with me, I am a product of the eldest stars.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-01, 01:10 PM
2nd edition AD&D Wizard, with 1 hit point. On the first encounter he was hit by an enemy Hold Person and failed the saving throw. He was killed easily and at leisure.