PDA

View Full Version : Toribash

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-07-30, 11:00 PM
Anybody else here play it? It's an excellent freeware, freeform, ragdoll fighting game. Link (http://www.toribash.com/). The most recent promo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjl0Cu9HgM&feature=related).
It's very difficult to learn doing free play against the computer that's just standing there. I'd suggest to anyone trying to learn to just jump right into the multiplayer on a Judo or Akido server as soon as you feel comfortable with the various joints. It's a lot easier to learn if your opponent is moving too, and you don't have to set up kicks, but just force the other guy to the ground.

For people who have played before (or people who haven't and want someone to practice with), I'd love to some people to play with.
I find I really enjoy the Taekkyon mode, but I rarely have people my level to play it with, since I've still got a lot of matches to go before blackbelt, and the only official Taekkyon servers are at blackbelt level.

In any case, it's a very neat game, once you get the hang of it.

Eloel
2009-07-31, 06:31 AM
I used to play it, but haven't played for a long time. I remember Judo being fun :)

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 09:39 AM
I made a topic asking pretty much the same question awhile ago. Died pretty quick.

On that note, I love it, may favorite mode is just the normal Judo. Very original game.

Eloel
2009-07-31, 10:17 AM
Also, I remember playing Twin Swords, or something close to that in name. It was fun :)

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-07-31, 01:28 PM
I prefer Akido to Judo, though both are pretty decent. Akido is the same sort of idea as Judo, but shorter turn lengths, closer engage distance, and you have to stay inside a fairly small area or be disqualified. It tends to go faster than Judo. Twinswords I have tried a few times, and I always find it tends to go slowly, especially at lower levels, and I'm not very good at it.

I saw your thread when I did a search before starting this, Copper, but it'd been about six months since the last post, so I figured it'd be better to start a new one.

Copper8642
2009-07-31, 11:18 PM
Yeah, definitely needed a new thread, just saying, mine died sort of quick.

Everyone who reads this post needs to download Toribash and play it for an hour, now!

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-08-01, 11:28 AM
Everyone who reads this post needs to download Toribash and play it for an hour, now!
Very true.

Shifty
2009-08-01, 04:01 PM
Have they fixed the greasy ground yet?

I played the game a fair bit a few years back, but I eventually got tired of it because there was so little grip on the ground, making it very hard to do anything that didn't involve leaping into the air and flailing. It'd be nice to pick up again, but I'm not sure I would without some serious physics tweaking.

I think the version I played was 3.01, maybe?

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-08-01, 08:59 PM
Have they fixed the greasy ground yet?

I played the game a fair bit a few years back, but I eventually got tired of it because there was so little grip on the ground, making it very hard to do anything that didn't involve leaping into the air and flailing. It'd be nice to pick up again, but I'm not sure I would without some serious physics tweaking.

I think the version I played was 3.01, maybe?
I don't think there's been any changes to that, but I could be wrong.
I find the difficulty of keeping your feet on the ground comes more from incorrect movements than lack of grip. If you contract your knees while standing straight and not holding anything, then yeah, your feet are going to go flying out from under you. But if you're leaning forward and grappling someone, you can get a lot of leverage from the same action, and still keep your feet on the ground.
I expect the developers would be unlikely to give the ground more grip, simply because the game is designed to encourage airborne maneuvers. The physics are very floaty, fall speeds are low- it seems to me that's the way they want it.

EleventhHour
2009-08-01, 09:06 PM
I like playing the Twinswords... but it's kind depressing, because either the person you end up playing is an expert, and they have the physics figured out well, and play a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors instant wins with each other (Everyone else just gets cut in half), or the waiting line is 8 people long. :smallsigh:

Eldan
2009-08-01, 09:13 PM
Daaamn you all!

Now I'm hooked on this game, it's 4:20 am and I can't stop!

Copper8642
2009-08-01, 10:05 PM
What's your name there, Eldan? I'll play with you there so I can finally beat you at something, given we're probably going to be on the same side on the CampaignITP.

Rigel Cyrosea
2009-08-01, 10:14 PM
I like playing the Twinswords... but it's kind depressing, because either the person you end up playing is an expert, and they have the physics figured out well, and play a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors instant wins with each other (Everyone else just gets cut in half), or the waiting line is 8 people long. :smallsigh:
That's pretty much the reason why I'm not a big fan of twinswords. Or instagib feet, which tends to go the same way, though there aren't any official servers for that one.

Eldan
2009-08-02, 05:31 AM
What's your name there, Eldan? I'll play with you there so I can finally beat you at something, given we're probably going to be on the same side on the CampaignITP.

Eldan too. I think it will only take me a few more hours until I've found out how to kick.

In related news, I just knocked myself out in my first attempt at beating the training dummy.

Eldan
2009-08-02, 07:40 AM
So, I tried my first game of twin blades. Tried something like parrying with one blade and trusting with the other, while ducking. Got both my arms hacked off by a guy jumpiing over me, flipping and then impaling me on both blades while landing.

Yeah.