PDA

View Full Version : Best start to a campaign

Silentlee
2009-07-30, 11:27 PM
what are the best starts to a campaign you have had?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-30, 11:35 PM
It was a dark and stormy Knight...

BobVosh
2009-07-30, 11:44 PM
You all see a dead, naked halfling with a note written in his own blood.

Ok, that never happened, but I will make it so. All my campaigns have fairly unmemorable starts.

Croverus
2009-07-30, 11:48 PM
It was a d20 future campaign, we were in a crashed ship, no idea how we survive. I open a door and find a minotaur chained to a wall witha ball gag in his mouth and numerous "items" on a bench next to him.

jmbrown
2009-07-30, 11:50 PM
The DM starts us on the other side of a large ravine with a river at the bottom and a rope bridge leading to the castle on the other side. Somewhere along the line we got the bright idea to cross the bridge all at once.

1200 something pounds gathered at the center of the bridge and SNAP.

We roll up new characters that are 1 level lower but the DM doesn't tell us were we're starting yet. After we're finished, the DM starts us in a village as six bodies are washed up on shore carrying a king's haul in magic items and a crude map pointing to a castle on a secluded mountain overlooking a ravine.

sofawall
2009-07-30, 11:53 PM
Well, this one time I joined a campaign part way through, and I started inside a gelatinous cube the party was trying to kill.

Thinking back, it seems gelatinous cubes are involved in a fair number of character entries of mine, or my party.

Tharivol123
2009-07-31, 12:02 AM
Almost getting shot in a Metabarons game. My character was an exiled diplomat and one of the leaders of a forming rebellion group. The campaign started with me walking down the street and just narrowly being missed by a sniper shot, getting chased by soldiers, meeting the rest of the party (a pilot, a mercenary, a demolitions expert, and a former soldier) in a bar, and the five of us needing to come up with an escape plan.

Ganurath
2009-07-31, 12:08 AM
Well, this one time I joined a campaign part way through, and I started inside a gelatinous cube the party was trying to kill.

Thinking back, it seems gelatinous cubes are involved in a fair number of character entries of mine, or my party.At least you weren't raped in the ear by fiendish kittens while being dragged to a portal to the Abyss. This is at L2.

Darcand
2009-07-31, 12:31 AM
"There is a crash, and the cabin explodes into splinters, a harpoon head stuck halfway through the wall! Up on deck someone screams 'Pirates!''

bosssmiley
2009-07-31, 04:55 AM
in media res is always best.

Kicking things off in the middle of a fight scene, heist, or whatever helps get the players' heads in the game straight away.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-31, 05:08 AM

Kicking things off in the middle of a fight scene, heist, or whatever helps get the players' heads in the game straight away.

Agreed.

This brings me to my favorite start (as a player) -

We're in a large city on Khorvaire (Eberron) - forget which one it is (may even have been a homebrew); each of us having arrived for our own personal reasons.

The campaign begins thusly:

"Each of you hears a vile shrieking noise - it seems to come from all around and, simultaneously, within your own mind. The temperature begins to fluxuate wildly - first hot, then cold, then hot again. The air itself is feels charged with latent power.

The sky is punctured with a hundred small portals, each impossibly enough looking as though someone had shattered the air like glass.

Blasphemous forms spill out from each portal; and almost before it can register the demons begin to slaughter the people nearest each portal."

-- Needless to say, it was quite the start. Each of us pretty much had a solo-adventure dealing with the demons nearest us (thankfully the DM being smart sent rather weakened versions of Quasits. No damage reduction or fast healing, half HP I think).

Eventually we fumbled our way together as we noticed the worst of it was occurring at the top of the central tower, fought our way up the stairs and fought (and died) to a huge demon at the top. (The dying wasn't part of his plan; but we all passed the fear aura save he had for this thing. We were raised by the survivors in thanks for our selflessness in fighting the quasits when we could have run >.>)

Sadly the campaign fizzled shortly thereafter because I farked up, getting half the party killed. (I for some reason had this brilliant idea that the heavy armored members of the group should sneak to the other side of the cultists' camp. ... yeah; the guys in full plate and chain. Of COURSE they won't hear us! <T.T>)

valadil
2009-07-31, 09:16 AM

Disagreed! Starting with a fight sets the tone that it's going to be a combative, mechanical game. Whenever I've seen this done it's been because the GM wants to fast forward past story and introduction and just have fights. Now, if you're using in media res for a plot or roleplay scene, that's something I can agree with.

To contrast the rest of the thread, here's the worst campaign start I've ever used. It's something I call the Andy Kaufman approach.

At the beginning of my thieves guild game each PC had individually met with a recruiter for the guild. They were all to meet with him at a warehouse. Except that he was an hour late. We had a group of paranoid, awkward PCs alone in a warehouse for about 30 minutes. They mostly stared at each other and occasionally groaned or grumted. It wasn't enjoyable for them, but I've had an awesome time telling other spiteful GMs about it.

Epinephrine
2009-07-31, 09:30 AM
I recall starting as a captive, and having to improvise weaponry to escape, followed by a chase through the wilds pursued by our captors (hobgoblins? orcs?). Starting with no gear was memorable, and it made you pretty thankful for whatever weapon you could get your hands on.

Lost Demiurge
2009-07-31, 10:04 AM
INTRO BLURB

"You assured me that the system could NOT fail."

A wrinkled hand covered in greyish skin lifted the cigarette to a pair of thin, pursed lips. A long drag, then a puff, distorting the image on the screen for a few seconds.

On the monitor, a silver-haired woman in a toga hovered in mid-air with no visible means of support. Her white attire was covered in dripping red blood, none of it her own. The expression on her face could only be called glee... Behind her, several other figures moved about and fought in the smoke and rubble of what used to be an off-the-books military base.

"Here. This is the point that we activated the bomb, 27 seconds into their rampage." A nervous bespectacled man wearing a labcoat. His hands showed his anxiety, tapping a pencil intermittantly against a nearby table.

Onscreen, the woman didn't even pause. She merely took a leisurely loop around, darting into the fog to plow through a half-dozen advancing soldiers. They watched as she speeded up at the last second to about Mach 1. She came to a halt at the far end of the camera's vision, as the remnants of what had been six of America's finest servicemen splattered over the walls and ground in a gruesome arc around her. Bullets rained off of her, visible only because of the tracer rounds mixed in among the regular shells.

"It seems that our failsafe.... failed." His suit was grey as well, to match his hair and eyes.

“It should have been foolproof. I don’t..”

“Unfortunately for all of us, we are not dealing with fools. The implants didn’t work.”

"I... Inconcievable, sir. On HER, perhaps. But on all of them, at the same time? No, this had to be-"

"Treachery, Professor. This was premeditated. Whether on the outside or the inside, the end result is that eight of the world's deadliest supervillains are loose on our watch."

"S- Sir, I...."

"I'll take responsibility for it, don't worry. They can't do anything to me that I care about." There were entirely too many lines in that grey face...

"But- what should we..."

"Facility Gamma-Twelve was not supposed to exist, as far as the general public and most of Washington was supposed to know. Anyone we'd have to worry about will be too busy covering this up to effectively throw blame our direction for a little while. This gives us time, Professor. Time that you will spend generously developing a better failsafe."

"You... You really think? I mean, that the project will be...."

The grey eyes crinkled for a minute... the only sign of mirth anywhere on the ancient face.
"Professor, in this case I don't HAVE to think. We've had three Code Reds in the six hours that the Squad's been rogue. In some cases, the current administration has even had to call in heroes."

As the monitor went to static, the room darkened leaving only the red spot of the cigarette end against a shadowy form...

"There will always be a need for the Suicide Squad."

GAME PREMISE

You're a supervillain. So far it's not been one of the world's greatest jobs. Sure, you get to pull daring crimes and get your face

on every newspaper's front page... The high life and the groupies are pretty nice too. You're not wackjobs like the Joker, or great cosmic

evils like Darkseid, you actually can get along with people if you need to. You've got contacts and experience sprinkled throughout the

world, perhaps you used to run with the Rogues Guild over in Keystone, or do some "Cleaner" work for Two-face over in Gotham. You've even

fought some named heroes! All in all, it's a blast!

The problem comes when you eventually run into a superhero that you can't escape from, or beat. When Superman comes down out of the sky, or

Batman knocks you cold from the shadows.... Well, the mystique fades just a little.

That's what happened on your last job. That's what landed you in the Black Orchard Metahuman Containment Facility.

Your cell is spherical, and made of rubbery black material. It's not very big. There are lights set into it, and vents. Aside from that, it's

pretty featureless. There's a toilet to do your business, and occasionally a slit opens up in the wall and food and water are deposited by

some sort of device..

Occasionally the thing acts as a hamsterball, forcing you to stretch your legs and exercise whether you want to or not.

It's pretty boring in here.

You've tried to escape, of course. It didn't go so well. Something in the area seems to scramble teleportation, and the cell itself can pump

in knockout gas, or contract around you until you can't move. Perhaps you escaped it, only to be chased down endless miles of seemingly alike

corridors, and stunned or beaten to unconsciousness by black-suited and helmeted guards.

Whatever the case, it's just not going well. You thought you were here for the duration. But then, one day, the cell material on one wall

formed into an open doorway.

There was a corridor beyond, with actual honest-to-god wallpaper, decorations and a wooden door at the end of it. Past that door was a

meeting room, complete with a huge ego-boosting oak table, and plush leather chairs. Sitting at the head of it was an old man in a grey suit,

with grey eyes and a greyish cast to his skin. He was smoking, and considering you over his cigarette.

Maybe you threatened him, maybe you attacked him, maybe you questioned him. Or, just maybe you had a seat. You all did that in the end.

Attacking him seemed to work, but his wounds closed seconds later, and you felt horrendous disabling pain seconds after you injured him. All

threats were met with a humorless smile, and any attempts to influence him mentally met a will sturdier than Ayers Rock. Finally, when he

felt you would listen, he laid out his pitch.

"So, how many life sentences are you serving? Yes, quite a lot, I'm sure. The end result is that you're here in the Orchard for life. An

eternity of considering your misdeeds, and having no one to talk to but the voices in your head. Daunting, wouldn't you say?"

"Now. What if I told you that there was a way you could... Work off your sentence? That you would get to take trips out into the world, even

get to use your powers and talents on a limited basis?"

"Yes, I thought you might be interested. You see, there are many tasks that need to be done, for this country and this world. Many hard tasks

which require lines that the so-called heroes of today will not cross. The way we see it... You've already crossed the biggest line to end up

here, everything else should be less of a problem."

"I won't sugar-coat it. If you accept this offer, you'll have the worst job in the world, and probably end up dead and a stranger in

someplace you never thought you'd die. You'll have safeguards on you while you're out in the field that will kill you if you run, or take

actions that could be construed as betrayal."

"But if you succeed, and make it back alive?"

"We'll count the mission against your prison term, and reduce it accordingly. Moreover, if you do especially well we will provide you with

various comforts and amenities for your stay here, perhaps even vacations outside if you show yourself to be an exceptional team player. Of

course, we'll be monitoring you 24/7."

"Think it over, take your time. This is the only offer that you'll get. If you say no, you will awaken back in your cell and never hear from

me again. If you say yes... Then you will DEFINITELY live in interesting times."

What choice was there, really? Of course you said yes...

The grey man smiled, and shook your hand.

"My name is Carceri, Mr. Carceri. I'll be your liason for the duration of your employment. Welcome to Task Force Omega. Of course, many

operatives prefer to call it by the continuing unofficial nickname."

"The Suicide Squad."

ondonaflash
2009-08-01, 01:07 AM
"You wake up to the realization that you are dead..."

Work from there. Seriously, infinite opportunity, so much potential in those ten little words.

Glyde
2009-08-01, 01:30 AM
You feel your stomach rise as the clouds plummet past the cabin's windows. Someone runs down the stairs yelling "The engine's failed! The engine's failed!"

Weirdlet
2009-08-01, 01:54 AM
INTRO BLURB

Holy Hera. I want to play in that. My regular superhero campaign's been on pause for about four months, and I am jonesing.

This isn't helping. Seriously, that's *nifty*.

Jergmo
2009-08-01, 01:55 AM
"There is a crash, and the cabin explodes into splinters, a harpoon head stuck halfway through the wall! Up on deck someone screams 'Pirates!''

Best. Campaign start. EVER! :smallcool:

boomwolf
2009-08-01, 02:52 AM
One of my DM's did something cooler.

We all woke up in a crypt, unsure what we were doing there, and why does our last memory involves a battle, another battle each I might add.
Later we figured the battles are not even all from the same time, and that by timelines we CAN'T all be alive at the same point. (especially as one was human that fought a battle that another human studied about as a battle 200 years old.)

If you didn't guess it-undead adventure, except the undead are the PC's. and they start not knowing it. (our char sheets were of a living characters, the DM secretly made an undead copy of us. and the guy who raised us made us look living.)

Enguhl
2009-08-01, 03:38 AM
I hate to lift myself up in a shroud of conceit, but my favorite start was for my current campaign. Everyone starts off with their own solo adventure leading them to a gathering place (such as a call went out for help with orcs, only the party doesn't start in town, but while answering the call) and as they get to town, and on the horizon they can see the end boss (heavily modified tarrasque).

Jair Barik
2009-08-01, 04:10 AM
Started a campaign on a boat once being pursued by some boats of goblins that then proceeded to board the parties ship. Once the invaders were repeeled the party boarded the enemy ship and found a kobold sorcerer, honour guard and a goblin chief which was odd as the two races were at war. They then found a mysterious letter amongst the ships belongings that set the tone for the rest of the adventure

Kemper Boyd
2009-08-01, 04:24 AM
Two survivors from a Nemedian duke's ambushed army, fleeing northwards toward the Border Kingdom without any food or camping gear. And it's snowing.

V'icternus
2009-08-01, 04:50 AM
My first campaign (and the one I'm running now) started with me talking to every player ages before it started, telling them about a city, and telling them that they can start anywhere they like, with any reason they like (within reason). Worked well.

BobVosh
2009-08-01, 06:13 AM
INTRO BLURB

1. You should write all of it out
2. Wow I want to steal this, my friends have been asking for something as a break for D&D
3. Maybe I will.