PDA

View Full Version : druid walker in the waste?

ScionofImperius
2009-07-31, 02:41 AM
has anyone ever prestige classed from a druid to a walker in the waste? i am not really looking for optimization, just as a fun, crazy character, and would like to hear any stories or advice anyone has. thanks in advance

Salt_Crow
2009-07-31, 05:11 AM
Well, if you don't mind being unable to use WS (w/o a feat that is), then I guess it could be a fun character. Losing caster levels hurt quite a bit though; but if it's for fun, go for it! It's a great PrC after all.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-31, 05:55 AM
One of the first things I noticed about Walker in the Waste was that a Druid 5 could qualify for the spellcasting prerequisite without any additional effort. The loss of Wild Shape progression is quite a hit, or maybe an excuse to use the Deadly Hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) variant. You can get into it at Cleric 3 with the Sand domain, or at Wizard 3 with Arcane Disciple for the Sand domain, so qualifying with a Druid is two levels behind on all of the Walker class features. Plus you're getting worse BAB, HD, saves, and skill points than you'd get just staying single-classed Druid. Overall, a Druid could qualify for and take it, but you may as well just get in via Cleric with the same flavor.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-31, 06:04 AM
lol. Seriously losing WS doesn't hurt one bit the Druid is a kick ass enough class without it.
I personally find the ability anoying and not really even usable for fluff purposes. It feels like an artifical tack-on to me.

I haven't done it, but I played in a game with a guy who did this and it seemed to work very well. We had a lot of fun. I was playing a Wizard and he was more effective than me still. lol.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-31, 08:42 AM
No, but I did consider changing The Ghostlord (a minor villain from The Red Hand of Doom adventure) from a standard Lich to a Dry Lich. He's a Druid/Blighter. I might still do this, since I'm planning on picking up the campaign again with a follow-up adventure, and my players never killed him.

Traedbyxa
2009-08-17, 07:32 PM
I'm right now playing a Druid/WitW.

If you ask me, for many reasons a Walker is "supposed" to be a druid. First of all, if you read the descriptions, you can tell that it's a druid, if you ask me atleast. Another reason is that a cleric does not have access to all the spells needed to create a sand golem, while a druid does.

As for the pure OP part of playing a druid, it's easily fixed with the feat Extra spell: Parching Touch, at level 3, making you fulfill the requirements as early as a cleric. the WS, you can easily find some alternate class ability to replace with.

The biggest problem I see is really that druids don't have harm spells, which will give you a harder time healing yourself once you turn undead.

Playing a cleric works, but I prefer druid, and it feels more suitable in my opinion. :)

Traedbyxa
2009-08-17, 07:35 PM
No, but I did consider changing The Ghostlord (a minor villain from The Red Hand of Doom adventure) from a standard Lich to a Dry Lich. He's a Druid/Blighter. I might still do this, since I'm planning on picking up the campaign again with a follow-up adventure, and my players never killed him.

Just want to point out a slight problem, if he in fact is from the waste/desert.
Note that a blighter has to destroy forest every single day if he wants to be able to cast spells. It also says that cactuses or shrubs/similar, that you can find in the desert is not enough.
So basically the blighter has to walk all the way though the desert, to destroy some forest, every single day, to be able to cast spells.

Now I don't know everything so this might not be a problem in your case, I just wanted to point it out :)

PinkysBrain
2009-08-17, 07:49 PM
I doubt many DMs would allow the early entry in the first place (it really should have an s on the word "domain" to explicitly mean what early entry proponents say it means).

About healing, fast healing works for undead.

Traedbyxa
2009-08-17, 08:28 PM
Think most DMs allow 3lvls then Walker, if it's correct or not I cannot say.

as for healing. at that level, sure you're at full health before every battle, but fast healing doesn't really do much in combat, that's where you want the 10hp/caster lvl :)

Gnaeus
2009-08-18, 08:04 AM
I doubt many DMs would allow the early entry in the first place (it really should have an s on the word "domain" to explicitly mean what early entry proponents say it means).

About healing, fast healing works for undead.

It does and it doesn't. Yes, undead can get and benefit from fast healing, including the druid ACF where they trade their spontaneous summonings for fast healing. But if you mean the Vigor line of spells, they specify a living target (SPC 229).

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-18, 08:07 PM
Just want to point out a slight problem, if he in fact is from the waste/desert.
Note that a blighter has to destroy forest every single day if he wants to be able to cast spells. It also says that cactuses or shrubs/similar, that you can find in the desert is not enough.
So basically the blighter has to walk all the way though the desert, to destroy some forest, every single day, to be able to cast spells.

Now I don't know everything so this might not be a problem in your case, I just wanted to point it out :)

Hmm.... I wasn't aware of that, but I think it can work.

In the module, the Ghostlord is described as living in a thorny wasteland in the southwestern area of the map. His lair is surrounded by a total lack of vegetation within a 4-mile radius (the primary vegetation of the region being thorns and briar patches). I dunno if this is rules-legal, but it's from the module, so whatever.

I think the real problem of adding Walker in the Waste to a Blighter is the spells requirement. Practically all of the spells of the Sand and Thirst domains are from Sandstorm, and thus, not on the Blighter's spell list. Oh well, adding 10 levels of WitW would have made him too high level anyway. And he already has a normal phylactery in the adventure. :smallsigh: