PDA

View Full Version : Non-US Electric power

Vernal
2009-07-31, 04:26 AM
I have recently started my new life working outside of the US. I have my toys and such (computer, Wii, etc), but they are all ready for the US power system of 110v. Do the Playgrounders know where I might find 220v power bricks for the following:

Dell inspiron laptop computer
Nintendo wii
Epson Stylus NX300 printer
Linksys WRT54G wireless router

I realize that I could just buy a camel's worth of transformers, but as it happens I am currently in a location that does NOT have either ready shopping or is easy to ship to and I'd rather be able to simply plug right in.

Thanks to all!

Vernal

KuReshtin
2009-07-31, 04:42 AM
Check your current power adapters as they may be suitable for 220V power as well.
I know that most laptop adapters will wirk on ranges from 110V-240V without any problem.

Then again, that could be something that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, I guess.

Ashtar
2009-07-31, 04:51 AM
Yeah most adapters made outside the US feature the full 110-240V range. So when I went to the US, I only needed to buy a couple of power cables (°° and °o°) to be able to charge everything (laptop, camera, etc).

Just check on the apparatus itself.

Also, what country are you going to?

Exeson
2009-07-31, 05:04 AM
Dude, do yourself a favour and don't waste money on an adapter for the Wii. :smalltongue:

Use if as like a modern flower pot or something :smalltongue:.

Lissou
2009-07-31, 09:52 AM
Just be aware of zoning.
Wii games you buy abroad won't work with your American Wii. DVDs bought abroad are a different zone as well, and won't work with your laptop DVD player (unless you rigg it).

Otherwise, I did the opposite and moved to Canada (which is like the US plug-wise). I bought replacement cords on ebay and found them easily.
However, if you're in a place that can't be shipped to easily... I'm not sure what you expect from us. The name of a store? We don't even know what country you're in :S

Kcalehc
2009-07-31, 09:52 AM
If you have a PC, all you'll need to do is flick a little switch on the back of the box (and get a new cable of the right shape).

For the rest they may be compatable, just again needing new cables with plugs of the right shape. Have a look on the label on the transformer itself.

Things that don't have a transformer on the wire, well you may have some trouble there - check the manual, some may have the ability to switch themselves.